Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

She lived just down the road from me for years. Seemed like a very quiet, low-key woman any time I saw her around the town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Moz had something thoughtful to say

Morrissey posted:

The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you.

Hub Dirt posted:

RIP to a real one.
Sinead O'Conner was always courage personified.

She knew what she was about even way back then

quote:

They laugh 'cause they know they're untouchable
Not because what I said was wrong

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/victoriamary/status/1684316783400955909

Shane, still alive somehow

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

Moz had something thoughtful to say

thank you morrissey this is indeed how it usually works cruel innit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I respected the bald anal sex loving woman before she died so morrisey can stick his dick in a blender

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

yeah that is nutty

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I always thought she should have grown her hair out. :dukedog:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

She was on chemo from such a young age, amazing she made it so long. Just heartbreaking.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

GolfHole posted:

thank you morrissey this is indeed how it usually works cruel innit

i think he's also kind of hoping that when he dies everyone will be calling him a "legend" and celebrating the "bravery" of his various bullshit stances, and i dont think thats how its going to go down at all. altho i dunno maybe it will.

Jon
Nov 30, 2004
Why couldn't it have been Morrissey instead?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Jon posted:

Why couldn't it have been Morrissey instead?

And miss out on more incredible music like THIS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS6B0GdCa9w

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just heard from my dad, who knows a lot of people in the part of rural Wicklow where Sinead moved in the last few years, that whenever she was home, she hung a sign on the gate inviting any passing neighbours in for tea and a chat.

She was a painfully honest and unfiltered person, apparently extremely funny and self-aware, and swore like a sailor.

All jokes aside, we could do with more people like her.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh do anam, a Sinead mo siubhneas beag.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Her son offed himself, if they are together it’s in hell. Be religious all your life, accept the rules when you’re dead.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Extra row of tits posted:

Her son offed himself, if they are together it’s in hell. Be religious all your life, accept the rules when you’re dead.

Serious question, and you don't need to answer, but what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

:kstare:

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Serious question, and you don't need to answer, but what the gently caress is wrong with you?

An actual belief and acceptance of how religion works, not a “well I don’t like this clearly defined bit so I’m gonna just ignore it” system.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

welp i guess they're gonna post through it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

An actual belief and acceptance of how religion works, not a “well I don’t like this clearly defined bit so I’m gonna just ignore it” system.

No one cares what you believe. And that has nothing to do with anything.

edit:

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 27, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

We should take bets on 6, 12, 24 or 72 hour probe

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its true im jedi and dead and i have to do force ghost stuff all the time thems the breaks

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hey man, shut the gently caress up

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

drat too slow

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

hey man, shut the gently caress up

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I told them they didn't have to answer :shrug:

Also :lol: at thinking religion has clearly defined rules. Didn't they change the rules of purgatory a few years ago?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

what a weird showing of rear end that was

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think the woman who was emotionally tortured in a Catholic forced labor "laundry" was allowed to adopt whatever religion she wanted and believe whatever the gently caress she wanted.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I think the woman who was emotionally tortured in a Catholic forced labor "laundry" was allowed to adopt whatever religion she wanted and believe whatever the gently caress she wanted.

lol yeah ok, try reading the BIBBLE dude.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I didn't know she liked Anal!

Jul 28, 2023
do you think this would make page one in the year 2023?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

72723 posted:

I can only assume you are Extra Row.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

72723 posted:

Extra Row of Tits why are you so mad about this woman and so gleeful about her death?

edit: nm i dont care.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I can only assume you are Extra Row.

Sweet, I've never seen a meltdown happen live

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That was a complete guess btw.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

omg i know let me have my fun

When are we going to stop bathtubs killing are vocalists.
Jokes aside it was brave to go against the chatolic church back then.

My ancient parents referenced it the second they heard she passed.so

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I told them they didn't have to answer :shrug:

Also :lol: at thinking religion has clearly defined rules. Didn't they change the rules of purgatory a few years ago?

The church wished Limbo into limbo, creating a Möbius limbo.

Rest well, Sinead, you did right.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 2, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Her funeral procession just went down the seafront in Bray, passing by her old home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdrk0GQrfV4

It was very moving, just thousands of people, both locals and from all over the place gathered together to say goodbye and exchange stories about her :unsmith:
When the hearse passed, the crowd all started following it, which is pretty traditional.

edit: just wanted to say, that while Morrissey is right (blergh) about the media always jumping on her whenever she was having a bad time and representing her as an unstable lunatic when she pointed out cruelties and injustices baked into the system, it is not at all true to say she was not loved and appreciated when she was alive.

She lived in my home town for 15 years, she raised her two youngest kids here.
So many people have little stories about funny conversations they had with her, recalling times when she helped people who were struggling financially, or how she came to their open mic night and performed a few songs in front of an audience of maybe 10 people*. Most people kept these stories to themselves, or only told them to their friends, because spreading them all over social media would have felt like a betrayal of a nice, gentle, funny woman who was a part of our community. They are telling them now because that is what a wake is all about - sharing stories about the person who is gone.

*https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklow/bray-news/the-night-sinead-oconnor-sang-amazing-grace-unannounced-in-bray/a299602299.html

Pookah fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 8, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pookah posted:

edit: just wanted to say, that while Morrissey is right (blergh) about the media always jumping on her whenever she was having a bad time and representing her as an unstable lunatic when she pointed out cruelties and injustices baked into the system, it is not at all true to say she was not loved and appreciated when she was alive.

She lived in my home town for 15 years, she raised her two youngest kids here...

thank you so much for sharing this.

to what you wrote i would add that i've had the privilege and luck to have met a huge number of musicians in my life, professionals and amateurs at all levels, and regardless of media shitstirring and reductionism, she has always had an enormous amount of respect in the music community, i know so many people who come from so many different genres and styles who appreciated what she did, both in terms of speaking truth to power in such a direct and powerful way, which imo is what all artists should be doing, but also just in terms of her incredible skill and musicality, both as a performer and a writer. she was absolutely loved and appreciated by the music world while she was alive too.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I didn't know she liked Anal!

May I offer you a podcast episode about that in these trying times?

https://thefpl.us/episode/62

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Earwicker posted:

thank you so much for sharing this.

to what you wrote i would add that i've had the privilege and luck to have met a huge number of musicians in my life, professionals and amateurs at all levels, and regardless of media shitstirring and reductionism, she has always had an enormous amount of respect in the music community, i know so many people who come from so many different genres and styles who appreciated what she did, both in terms of speaking truth to power in such a direct and powerful way, which imo is what all artists should be doing, but also just in terms of her incredible skill and musicality, both as a performer and a writer. she was absolutely loved and appreciated by the music world while she was alive too.

Having the respect of your peers is everything.

I have another strange little moment from yesterday's funeral - this pink chair was placed in the door of her old house, with her photo in front of it. I saw it and thought "I remember that chair! she used to sit out in the garden having a smoke in it"

Except it wasn't the old chair, that left when she moved out. This chair simply turned up on the beach on the day of the funeral. A guy called Adrian Duggan, who lives down by the beach found it, thought it was weirdly like her old chair, and put it in the doorway. It's not a big beach, and chairs are not something that you'd normally find there.
Just a silly, lovely little coincidence.