Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

STABASS posted:

drat now she's really a "Zombie"

That was The Cranberries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Negostrike posted:

Man, nobody's alive anymore pretty much

Nah, it's just that we're all getting on in years. Most goons are pushing 40 and her ripping up the pope photo was 31 years ago.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Mr. Lobe posted:

Drake didn't put her in no magdeline laundry

The catholic church is loving evil, man

I already said she ripped up the photo in 1992. Pretty ballsy when the last magdeline laundry was closed in - get this - 1996!!!

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Probably not really the thread for this but... gently caress it.

Several years back I was working in my dads shop. A guy I knew from school came in to buy wine and beer, all dressed up. I asked him where he had been and what he was doing these days.. He told me he was the headmaster of a local primary school. I gave him a ribbing about being a middle class bastard buying wine and wearing a suit but he laughed along with me.

This kind of surprised me because of his age, he was in his early thirties. I mentioned it to my dad.

He said "Valko, his uncle is the Bishop!"

And just like that it all made sense. When I worked in a school I often seen a little pyramid symbol made of four triangles with the words CCMS in them at the top of documents. It was for the Council of Catholic Maintained Schools.

About 20 years ago I remember it being big news here that there had only been one newly ordained catholic priest in the whole of northern Ireland. It was big news because in previous generations every family needed to have some connection to the church in case they needed things like planning permission to build a house or something. After independance the Irish state was basically penniless so the church footed the bill when the government couldn't. It's also probably how so many uh.. 'problematic' people ended up in the church too. "We'll send the weirdo kid off to Maynooth to train as a priest, it's not like he's ever going to be married anyway."

Behind the Bastards podcast goes into more detail, if you got a couple of hours to spare.
https://player.fm/series/behind-the-bastards/part-one-how-the-catholic-church-murdered-irelands-babies
https://player.fm/series/behind-the-bastards/part-two-how-the-catholic-church-murdered-irelands-babies

Sorry for the rant but I think it just goes to show how ballsy it was for Sinead to tear up that picture in 1992.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Bula Vinaka posted:

And that singer died by getting drunk, passing out in the bathtub, and drowning. :\

I honestly did not know this.

Why did these two have to die. Hey, mother nature, there is an actual piece of poo poo irish musician who is still alive. Take Jim Corr and give us back Dolores and Sinead. Give us back Thin Lizzy too.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Disco Pope posted:

That was The Cranberries.

That's the third time this happened, makes me think it might be a bad attempt at trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Necroing this thread because I found something.

Sinead was invited onto Piers Morgans show, she replied with this: