Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

a massive loss, absolutely one of my favorite artists of the 20th century.

my favorite song is Troy too op, its a huge brilliant epic.

since it's already been posted here's another favorite of mine, You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart, which was from the film In the Name of the Father

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zON0hoRwqSw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

another one of her best songs imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Sp7hVI4Ak

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keWnPZOd2cw

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

GolfHole posted:

thank you morrissey this is indeed how it usually works cruel innit

i think he's also kind of hoping that when he dies everyone will be calling him a "legend" and celebrating the "bravery" of his various bullshit stances, and i dont think thats how its going to go down at all. altho i dunno maybe it will.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pookah posted:

edit: just wanted to say, that while Morrissey is right (blergh) about the media always jumping on her whenever she was having a bad time and representing her as an unstable lunatic when she pointed out cruelties and injustices baked into the system, it is not at all true to say she was not loved and appreciated when she was alive.

She lived in my home town for 15 years, she raised her two youngest kids here...

thank you so much for sharing this.

to what you wrote i would add that i've had the privilege and luck to have met a huge number of musicians in my life, professionals and amateurs at all levels, and regardless of media shitstirring and reductionism, she has always had an enormous amount of respect in the music community, i know so many people who come from so many different genres and styles who appreciated what she did, both in terms of speaking truth to power in such a direct and powerful way, which imo is what all artists should be doing, but also just in terms of her incredible skill and musicality, both as a performer and a writer. she was absolutely loved and appreciated by the music world while she was alive too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

That was The Cranberries.

I've always respected O'conner as a public figure, but musically I only know the big hit - is there anything I should check out.

Troy
You Made Me The Thief of Your Heart
Black Boys on Mopeds
Three Babies
Jerusalem
The Last day of Our Acquaintance
Jackie
Drink Before the War

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 9, 2023