Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If you are posting on SAS you are probably the type of person who loves remembering exactly how many teams that Omer Asik had played for or trying to get a small sense of victory about remembering that Mike Fontenot was traded to the Orioles with Sammy Sosa.

Immaculate Grid is a 9 x 9 grid where you try to find players who intersect with 2 teams or one team and a specific criteria like 200+ hits. There is also a sublime of trying to find the least-guessed and most obscure players who fit the criteria.

Immaculate Grid started for baseball and quickly spawned imitators for other sports, including Hoopgrids and Crossover Grid for basketball and other versions for hockey. Immaculate Grid was bought by sports reference and now has baseball, football, basketball, and hockey versions.

I figure this is a good place to post our greatest Grid Triumphs and discuss the daily grid game.

Please use spoiler tags for the current day's game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I once got a 0.2% from knowing that Alexis Ajinca played for the Raptors and Mavs and it was pleasing to me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I got a bulls/rockets one once and was flabbergasted that Omer was an 11% answer, I was so proud of myself. I guess the infamous Poison Pill Contract still resonates.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I wonder what Pippen was for that. Do people even remember he was a Rocket?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

I wonder what Pippen was for that. Do people even remember he was a Rocket?

I prefer to think of him as a Bull and a Torpan Pojat.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Baseball will be the only one of these I will ever have even a shot at, even with double-checking my answers with B-R before submitting them.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I'm a little shocked that Mike Trout has never won a Gold Glove.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

light work.

I'm mad that J'Oneal was so popular.(honestly was expecting more people to pick MCW)

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 27, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I got a 0.5% today with Jason Heyward for Cardinals GG, lol. I guess I just remember it being a part of the media circus around him jumping ship to the Cubs shortly after.

It took me ages to think of a Cardinals/Giants pick and then when I finally remembered one it was a 1%, sure why not.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The percentages are usually way higher for current/recent players than the older guys. I am very good at identifying guys who played in the MLB from like 1996-2007, so most of my correct answers today were 7% or lower. Guys like Jim Edmonds, Daren Erstad, and Matt Morris. I'm pretty sure Edmonds would've fit in 3 different boxes today.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Declan is the God of hoopgrids. He knows all the guys. A simple man like me-can't compete

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The percentages are usually way higher for current/recent players than the older guys. I am very good at identifying guys who played in the MLB from like 1996-2007, so most of my correct answers today were 7% or lower. Guys like Jim Edmonds, Daren Erstad, and Matt Morris. I'm pretty sure Edmonds would've fit in 3 different boxes today.

Not enough love for Khalil Greene out there.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I had a shitload of trouble with today's grid. I always get so disheartened once I miss a square and kind of just phone it in afterwards since I cant actually complete it

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Got a 0.2% today with Swen Nater for Clips/Bucks. Thanks 2k MyTeam.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Totally stumped on the baseball grid today even with two NL central teams. Realizing how my guy remembering is really limited to Cubs and White Sox.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Totally stumped on the baseball grid today even with two NL central teams. Realizing how my guy remembering is really limited to Cubs and White Sox.

Today's is really tough. 4 of the squares are guys who switched leagues and I'm struggling with those. The 200+ K's were easy and I managed to remember a couple Rockies pitchers from the early aughts who the Cubs faced a lot in the NL Central: Josh Fogg and Shawn Estes

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Today's is really tough. 4 of the squares are guys who switched leagues and I'm struggling with those. The 200+ K's were easy and I managed to remember a couple Rockies pitchers from the early aughts who the Cubs faced a lot in the NL Central: Josh Fogg and Shawn Estes

I didn't end up guessing him for the Rockies, but I was really surprised to find that Mike Hampton never threw over 200 k's. I had completely forgotten about Pedro Astacio too

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

There's only one Rockies pitcher I can ever consistently remember, and conveniently he was really fuckin hot for a few years.

Something I've noticed about my method is that it has, like, tiers. There's the guys I know just off the top of my head, then guys I'm pretty sure about to the point I'll make a guess without checking, then guys I'm not so sure about and double-check BRef to be sure.

From there I go down various paths of searching team Top 24 Players and such, checking current rosters for names that pop out, trying guys I know bounced around a lot, stuff like that. Only after I've failed in all those avenues do I just break down and use the BRef Multiple Franchise search.

From a certain POV that's "cheating", but by another it's both entertaining and educational, and will help in later puzzles. And if there's anything I've learned from Trivial Fursuit, it's that being real good with reference material searching is just as important as knowing random ahitnoff the top of your head.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I ultimately gave up on Tigers/Reds and Rockies/Reds, but 7/9 isn't bad for this one and I did get to make a grid of absolute villains that includes Jack Morris, Rajai Davis, German Marquez, and Derek Holland. Granted three of those four are strictly Cubs-related beef, but still.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Sydin posted:

I ultimately gave up on Tigers/Reds and Rockies/Reds, but 7/9 isn't bad for this one and I did get to make a grid of absolute villains that includes Jack Morris, Rajai Davis, German Marquez, and Derek Holland. Granted three of those four are strictly Cubs-related beef, but still.

When one of the rows/columns is your team, that's like 3 gimmes and you can get really rare/dumb with it.

I went with Joakim Soria, Tucker Barnhardt, and Mickey Lolich for the top row

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Got to use Brian Cardinal and DeSagana Diop on today's NBA quiz, but got stumped on Bulls/Hornets.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ozymandius1024 posted:

When one of the rows/columns is your team, that's like 3 gimmes and you can get really rare/dumb with it.

I went with Joakim Soria, Tucker Barnhardt, and Mickey Lolich for the top row

I got to use Justin Morneau for Buccos/Rox thanks to MY team!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Blind Pineapple posted:

Got to use Brian Cardinal and DeSagana Diop on today's NBA quiz, but got stumped on Bulls/Hornets.

Got a .2% pull on jack haley

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Got a 0.7 from remembering Dennis Martinez on the Braves and Orioles. And feel very old with the 14% for Carlton Fisk on both Sox.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

You bet your rear end I did Steve Stone for Orioles Cy Young

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Charlie O'Brien for Braves/White Sox at 0.1%. I'm very proud of that.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

I was so ashamed that I didn't know the White Sox Cy Young winner. I was trying to be sneaky and guessed Tom Seaver since I knew he'd won one with the Mets and also pictured for the Sox, but I was rightly smited

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Very surprised that Rick Porcello for 20 Wins/Cy Young was only a 2% pick, given how contentious it was :v:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Charlie O'Brien for Braves/White Sox at 0.1%. I'm very proud of that.

Thought I'd get clever and absolutely refuse to believe that 3% of people are saying Ralph Garr

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
0.05% for Jackie Gutierrez on the Orioles/Sox. I may know too much 80s baseball.

Then completely beefed it in the lower right corner because I misread it as Orioles/20 Wins instead of Cy Young/20 Wins.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

Very surprised that Rick Porcello for 20 Wins/Cy Young was only a 2% pick, given how contentious it was :v:

I picked the super obvious Sandy Koufax and he was only 3%

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I picked the super obvious Sandy Koufax and he was only 3%

snellzilla for 0.4%. i did not do very well beyond that

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

the final column on today's immaculate grid ruining my rarity score :mad:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

that last column was incredibly not cool. I did not care for the other two, as well

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Basketball grid today was probably the easiest one yet.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

that last column was incredibly not cool. I did not care for the other two, as well

Yeah, today's grid embarrassed me. Who knew 3000 Ks were so rare. So many guys who were amazing that just didn't have the longevity.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

ozymandius1024 posted:

Yeah, today's grid embarrassed me. Who knew 3000 Ks were so rare. So many guys who were amazing that just didn't have the longevity.

8/9 with a 1% on a flier Dan Haren was a National and Diamondback and I don't know why I know this

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ozymandius1024 posted:

Yeah I used Scherzer for the Nats, so I couldn't use him for the Dodgers, and then I remembered Maddux spent a year with them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I got tripped up by the 3000+ K line for ages because I could have sworn that they changed the rules so you could only use guys for records they obtained with that specific team, but I guess not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sorry, Twins. I just don't know your players very well. :shrug: