Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Born outside the US? They're officially out of ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

Born outside the US? They're officially out of ideas

To be fair, today was the day I learned Raul Ibanez was born in New York City.

But yeah, outside the 50 states and DC, too, so Puerto Rico counts as a viable answer, in case that helps anyone (not that Japan, the Domincan, Cuba, and Venezuela aren't obvious enough.)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I was doing so well

I can't believe Bream was so high, I expected it to be mostly Morton

Got frustrated by how high he was and just said gently caress it and picked Cano instead of trying to bother thinking of a better name

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Not sure how I ended up with only two most popular answers. Other people's recency bias is all I can think of.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got cute and used Greinke for Angels 3000Ks and now I'm stuck on the other column

Are we the only two who still play this? lol

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

I got cute and used Greinke for Angels 3000Ks and now I'm stuck on the other column

Starting to wonder. :v:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I play almost every day but usually lose, I only remember Cubs.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I like the concept of the game but it requires me to follow teams I don't care about. How am I suppose to know who played for the Rockies and the Rangers without cheating?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I actually somehow got one of my lowest rarity scores of all time today, shout out to nobody remembering the Joe Smith trade.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

For me it comes from a lot of playing fantasy baseball in the 00s which is why most of my more obscure pulls are from that time period and anything else is usually a more obvious name

like there's no way I'd remember Glendon Rusch existed if not for the SAS all suck league

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 24, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Island Nation posted:

I like the concept of the game but it requires me to follow teams I don't care about. How am I suppose to know who played for the Rockies and the Rangers without cheating?

It depends on how you define "cheating".

BRef does have a tool that will find you any players that played for any two teams, but I don't use that unless I'm really, really stumped, and usually by that point my rarity score is shot and I don't care about anything but completion, at which point it's just a fun research exercise. Personally, I try to remember a guy and then double check BRef's player page just to be sure. There's been a lot of times where some guy you think is a shoe-in for a stat wasn't, or some guy you barely remember from your favorite team did, in fact, get traded to Team X and it wasn't a figment of your imagination.

The fun part for me is that I have huge gaps in my knowledge--I know jack poo poo about deadball outside a few names like Cobb and Speaker and Johnson, and my knowledge of modern era/liveball doesn't *really* start until the late '70s or '80s, and I took about a ten-year gap in paying attention at all from the mid-90s to the mid-00s. So outside of superstars and random That's Our Guy guys, I'm actually pretty bad. But I can backfill my knowledge by guessing and then double-checking. At some point I might finally remember every team Edwin Jackson, Rich Hill, and Bartolo Colon actually played for.

But honestly, I don't actually consider it "cheating" unless I'm using the leader list they're pulling from or the multiple franchise tool. And if you want to get really picky, a lot of the larger trivia contests in the country don't give a poo poo if you look up your answer from any source at all. Hell, my partner's family has been recording Jeopardy! for decades to watch time-delayed and will pause in the middle of playback if they think they know but can't think of it right away.

It's only cheating if it's against the rules. Ain't no rule says a dog can't look up baseball trivia answers on the internet.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

I actually somehow got one of my lowest rarity scores of all time today, shout out to nobody remembering the Joe Smith trade.

i had really good cubs shane greene for detroit, quintana for angels, and the god david aardsma for sox but i genuinely have never paid attention to whether a guy has 2000 strikeouts in my entire life and i'll never get any of those right

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

It's only cheating if it's against the rules. Ain't no rule says a dog can't look up baseball trivia answers on the internet.

Exactly. Set your own rules and have fun. I don't use b-r.com myself other than an occasional "I think this guy might fit.... gonna check and see and if he does then I can't use him.... drat IT"

Intruder posted:

I've been playing considerably less since the end of the regular season. A buddy and I at work were doing it daily, but it's fallen off for sure.

Edit - doing it today. A quick 7/7, and now thinking about Texas Rangers on a Wednesday morning. Will post later.

Edit again - now 8/8 and of course I just checked someone for my last square and yeah - he would have worked. Sigh.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 25, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Surprised that I came in at 113 considering two top answers and a several double digits.

Babe Ruth continuing to be a single-digit anomaly, too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

rickiep00h posted:

Surprised that I came in at 113 considering two top answers and a several double digits.

Babe Ruth continuing to be a single-digit anomaly, too.

I see you also put Babe Ruth in for every Boston stat category you can.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Oh hey, first immaculate! All it took was all the fields being stats or Rangers

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

rickiep00h posted:

It depends on how you define "cheating".

BRef does have a tool that will find you any players that played for any two teams, but I don't use that unless I'm really, really stumped, and usually by that point my rarity score is shot and I don't care about anything but completion, at which point it's just a fun research exercise. Personally, I try to remember a guy and then double check BRef's player page just to be sure. There's been a lot of times where some guy you think is a shoe-in for a stat wasn't, or some guy you barely remember from your favorite team did, in fact, get traded to Team X and it wasn't a figment of your imagination.

The fun part for me is that I have huge gaps in my knowledge--I know jack poo poo about deadball outside a few names like Cobb and Speaker and Johnson, and my knowledge of modern era/liveball doesn't *really* start until the late '70s or '80s, and I took about a ten-year gap in paying attention at all from the mid-90s to the mid-00s. So outside of superstars and random That's Our Guy guys, I'm actually pretty bad. But I can backfill my knowledge by guessing and then double-checking. At some point I might finally remember every team Edwin Jackson, Rich Hill, and Bartolo Colon actually played for.

But honestly, I don't actually consider it "cheating" unless I'm using the leader list they're pulling from or the multiple franchise tool. And if you want to get really picky, a lot of the larger trivia contests in the country don't give a poo poo if you look up your answer from any source at all. Hell, my partner's family has been recording Jeopardy! for decades to watch time-delayed and will pause in the middle of playback if they think they know but can't think of it right away.

I’m not sure what trivia you go to but the bar trivia I go to has a simple method. If you're caught looking at your phone/other device for any reason, you and your team are banned PERMANENTLY. I don't care about rarity so much as getting a correct answer and due to the game not allowing for errors, it doesn't make sense for me to continue when I inevitably screw up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4022501&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Bar trivia takes itself way too seriously.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

is it cheating to go to incognito and give up just to see how many there are in each category? cause that's how I found out I needed to just suck it up and use george brett for the royals mvp a little while back

e: er hall of fame, not mvp

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 25, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pretty good rarity of 52, I thought Cruz would be lower though. He and Palmeiro were literally the only two I could think of

e: TIL Vlad spent the final two years of his career on the O's and Rangers

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

is it cheating to go to incognito and give up just to see how many there are in each category? cause that's how I found out I needed to just suck it up and use george brett for the royals mvp a little while back

e: er hall of fame, not mvp

That there's only 4 HOFers that ever played for the Royals is such a mind trip.

Edit - Put Sweet Lou in whatever the committee is called nowadays.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

They'll get a 5th when Hosmer retires :v:

Well 6th because Greinke will be in by then

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Immaculate on NBA with the most obvious answers possible except for remembering some Supersonics

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I knew they’d introduce loving WAR eventually. Never playing again 👍

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah that's a lovely one

Not playing today's

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
LOL.

If you're wondering - the current total percentage for the two obvious as Hell (ie - first black players in each league) answers for LA/CLE and played in Negro leagues is 122%

edit : this one was actually not hard at all.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 26, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ok I lied, I did this one

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

ok I lied, I did this one

Thank you - I was wondering what the % was for your CLE / Negro League answer was. A combined 95% between them.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Finally Babe Ruth gets a top spot. The WAR one was an attempt at gaming rarity, because I agree it's a pretty silly category, even as someone who rather enjoys stat categories. The Dads column was the only one that was really any sort of challenge, and even then all three of my choices were bog-standard, go-to guys.

I do wish I'd have picked others for the Negro League players for rarity's sake, but honestly I don't think it's possible to feel bad about any of the choices there. I hope one day we get announcers and writers that work them into the history more.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao gently caress the rockies

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

dunno if I want to participate in the kind of perversion of thinking up Brewers players

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Today's teams were picked just to ruin me.

Did the 10 win column. Not sure I'll bother continuing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I am so upset that I couldn't think of a white sock/rockies, but then I saw the top answer and had a Sensible Chuckle (I loved the guy going to sox games growing up and had no idea he played for the rockies.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

R.D. Mangles posted:

I am so upset that I couldn't think of a white sock/rockies, but then I saw the top answer and had a Sensible Chuckle (I loved the guy going to sox games growing up and had no idea he played for the rockies.)

That's always gonna be Justin Morneau for me, for obvious reasons.

I had an absolute hell of a time with the Reds today. Couldn't think of a single relevant player. Ended up rosterdiving for 4/9 answers.

I also think 10 wins is a bullshit counting stat because not only are wins mostly irrelevant, 10 is a relatively low threshold. Nick Blackburn had THREE of those seasons and never played past hitting free agency. Jesse Crain had one *out of the bullpen*. Just a stupid, stupid stat.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I don't know the last time I actually had a busy day at work on a Friday, but in the spirit of keeping this thread going... My 6/6 with three left that I never got to.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My Ooops all Rec Sox grid got me a pretty good rarity score today
⚾️ Immaculate Grid 209 9/9:
Rarity: 10
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

Though Wade Boggs was cheating a little because he won his gold glove somewhere else.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I got 7/9 Cubs players for a rarity of 5. That'll do. I love Stat Saturday.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I went deep into enemy territory for some picks but rarity of 9

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Stat Saturday has blessed me with a truly bonkers rarity on this day - praise be to the gods of Remembering Some Guys. I'll admit I went incognito mode to double check that -----Negro League All-Star Games----- counted.

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 209 9/9:
Rarity: 2
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩

Getting closer to the fabled minimum. Is it possible to get 0 rarity if your total is less than 0.5, or is 1 the lowest it gets?

edit: also Lloyd "nepotism" Waner is in the HOF with 29 WAR and 1 All-Star appearance lol

Prof. Spaceman fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I figured 22 wasn't gonna get me anywhere. Stat/award grids are probably just rarity goldmines, huh?