Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

rickiep00h posted:

I figured 22 wasn't gonna get me anywhere. Stat/award grids are probably just rarity goldmines, huh?

I see you too answered the clarion call of Harmon Killabrew. I wish I had trusted my instincts and gone with Mel Ott :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

the all Astros grid also gave me my all time best rarity score of 10

juuuuuust missed single digits

I think the 0.02% I got was the best single answer rarity I've ever had

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I gotta say one of the funniest things about these is the twenty-plus point swings from shifting a guy from the obvious category. I'm specifically talking about Lance Lynn here, but it also works for things like "guys who spent their last year in Atlanta" and such. (Side note: a LOT of guys spend their last year in Atlanta, is seems.)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Somehow got my lowest score at 87 today, though I wish I could think of a less obvious cardinal/sox than Lynn and got incredibly lucky guessing Carlson for the cards because who loving cares about draft picks. Glad I got the Mustache God Jose Valentin in there.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 31, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Stuck really hard on trying to think of a non Halladay answer for Tor/Atl or Acuna answer for SB

Thanks to Billy Madison Rizzuto remains my ace in the hole for Yankees answers

e: how the hell did I not think of Ken Giles for so long as an Astros fan?

for the braves stolen bases I just kept thinking "what middle infielders can I remember?"

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 1, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

Stuck really hard on trying to think of a non Halladay answer for Tor/Atl or Acuna answer for SB

Thanks to Billy Madison Rizzuto remains my ace in the hole for Yankees answers

e: how the hell did I not think of Ken Giles for so long as an Astros fan?

for the braves stolen bases I just kept thinking "what middle infielders can I remember?"

Ron Gant is usually the first guy I check for ATL stuff and it turns out he was quite the speedster til he got injured.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I knew this thread is baseball oriented but hockey's grid today is #99 and the obvious Gretzky theme isn't used. The rows are Toronto, New Jersey and Calgary with Detroit as a column (St. Louis and HOF are the others). How could they muff a gimme like this?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Today's seems laser focused on loving me

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

Today's seems laser focused on loving me

I knew I wasn't gonna get anything but the most obvious answers for the closers, so I just let go of any hope of scoring well and just focused on completion, and got it done pretty quickly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://www.swinglegame.com/

Kind of an interesting game here. You have to get the teammates/teams all on the same row, plus there's a column that'll be teammates as well. You just swap names with each other to move them

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

https://www.swinglegame.com/

Kind of an interesting game here. You have to get the teammates/teams all on the same row, plus there's a column that'll be teammates as well. You just swap names with each other to move them

Lol I'm not touching this. It looks designed to melt my brain specifically.

Grid:

Hornsby doing a lot of heavy lifting to offset some those more popular answers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Remembered Pablo Sandoval's BRef page has him in a CLE cap. Problem is he never played for them and was immediately released upon being traded.

Derp. That's today's grid ruined on the first guess.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i've been stuck on KC and SF for awhile. this is painful

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

i've been stuck on KC and SF for awhile. this is painful

Michael Tucker

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hello fellow nerds.

Starting to pretty consistently get into the mid double digits for rarity, and I don't necessarily think they're getting easier. I ended up doing this one right before bed. I'm sure when today's rolls around it will probably make my 60 seem positively genius.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Double posting to say yep. Couldn't think of Bret Boone and so here I am with a nearly 80% guy. Great guy, don't get me wrong, but yikes.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

A useful guy for a day like today is Mark McLemore, who played for every team in the AL West

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The legend of Babe Ruth and the Single Digits continues to grow.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ok i cheated because I knew that Gillaspie was the guy I wanted but I couldn't remember his name so had to look up the roster to check.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

154. If I would have remembered Span I'd have been... better. I think in a couple places I tried out-clevering myself and didn't really come out ahead, but Cabrera really did me a solid for SFG/CHW. I really just wish I had better Rockies, but I'm guessing most of the names in there are random relievers, like most two-team answers.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

54. Couldn't think of a Moneyball guy for STL/OAK so I just went with the TRUE home run king. Felt pretty good otherwise. I totally forgot yesterday's due to having an appointment for a filling and all other info falling out of my brain.

Has anyone really done the archived grids? I guess I'm mostly wondering if these are something that hold novelty for other people beyond the newness of the daily grids.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Haren or Mulder are who you were trying to think of for STL/OAK

I'm desperately trying to think of someone who isn't the obvious for STL/TB

e: ended up with 74

can't BELIEVE it took me so long to think of Pham

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 16, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The continued expectation that I know Brewers players is making me unhappy!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Only one team should exclude active players :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

yeah probably but it doesn't ;)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Couldn't think of a brewer/red Sox but I was very proud of my .9 and .3 Cubs guys Matt Clement and the legendary Scott Feldman

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh goddammit I forgot Ty Cobb played for someone else in his last two years. Frig.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

That could have gone better. It's not like I could have picked someone more obvious for the Twins SB among the Gen X/Millennial crowd that I assume plays this game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

First round draft pick is bullshit

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

First round draft pick is bullshit

Yep, not even gonna bother with that one. Stats, okay, mildly interesting. Awards, of course. The biographical stuff is just silly imo. To be entirely slippery-slope, where does that end? Handedness? Born in Secaucus? Over six feet tall? Shoe size?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tried and failed to think of any single Nat/Cub other than Dawson

It wasn't just that I couldn't think of a better one, I couldn't think of ANY

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Not only did I goanwith a bunch of top answers they were ridiculously popular top answers. At least Robbie Grossman is still off everyone's radar I guess.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

yeah bottom left and houston/stl killed my rarity today :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I guess the secret is out on using Cobb for A's answers

People continue to sleep on Jackie as well

e: I probably should have used Preston Wilson for Hou/Stl but I always have to remember Kile :rip:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 23, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Today's is a little too easy with the 10 HR and 10 W categories. There are so many choices

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I just had to go with Johnson. Ah well. 34 is still okay.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ROY+HOF killed my score. Well that and the incredibly tough 1st round pick slots yikes.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If I moved Mauer to 1st round I could have gotten Morneau in there, and I know I could have done better with the CY column. Ended up at 49, which I think is okay, but definite room for improvement and Twins inclusion.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

18 isn't bad but feel like I could have done better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The awards/stats ones definitely feel more metagamey than purely teams. Like the difference between weekend crosswords and weekday.