Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Love giving up on thinking of an answer that I know will be right, finally accepting that I need to guess and then feel dumb as Hell as I get it right, but it has a 40%. Like I just got accepted into the obvious club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Sydin posted:

I got tripped up by the 3000+ K line for ages because I could have sworn that they changed the rules so you could only use guys for records they obtained with that specific team, but I guess not?

You guess not indeed which is why I used Pedro Martinez for the Nats

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

I got tripped up by the 3000+ K line for ages because I could have sworn that they changed the rules so you could only use guys for records they obtained with that specific team, but I guess not?

There's literally no Dodger who's gotten to 3,000 strikeouts entirely as a Dodger.

e: I just looked it up and there are only 4 players who've reached 3,000 K's with one team:
  • Walter Johnson: Twins
  • John Smoltz: Braves
  • Steve Carlton: Phillies
  • Bob Gibson: Cardinals

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 30, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah my mistake was that they did change the rules so it's team specific for things like AS selections, MVP/Cy winners, but I guess not for career records.

Managed to get 9/9 but my rarity scores are dogshit. Only single digit percentage I got was 4% with Adam Eaton for Nats/Arizona

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

maffew buildings posted:

You guess not indeed which is why I used Pedro Martinez for the Nats

I did the same :lol:. They do have to have won the award with the team if it is an award though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Sorry, Twins. I just don't know your players very well. :shrug:

Oh man all my picks were instantaneous and apparently uncommon. The fact that most people pick current players helps my rarity a lot.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Got immaculate today in what felt like the easiest grid to date. :toot:

Entire grid in the spoiler:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Got immaculate today in what felt like the easiest grid to date. :toot:

Entire grid in the spoiler:

I got a 100% too, but it took me *forever* to think of a Cubs 3000 hit guy (I came up with Cap Anson, but I did know Palmeiro too, deep in the recesses of my brain)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I have a pipe dream of finishing a grid with all black and white photos. Today's teams were probably possible, though not knowing if they count old pre-1931 MVPs hurts. (As does not knowing them that well.)

Didn't realize I was so low on the percentages until it was too late for a new personal best, but any 9/9 <%100 total will do for me.

Full grid and an excuse to watch an Always Sunny clip.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

There are SO MANY Cubs/Phillies options to choose from. I almost went with Mitch Williams, but I gave it to the beefy lad instead.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

7/9 because I whiffed two tries on a Cubbie with 3k hits and talked myself out of my first choice Palmeiro, then out of my CLE choice Eddie Murray. 320 rarity, at least.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pulled a 0.9% with Milton Bradley but otherwise disappointed myself by not getting either of the team 3K hitters

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Man, I wish it was possible to change your answer because I totally should've used Dennis Eckersley for the A's/Guards square instead of A's MVP.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Only got 8/9 because I misclicked and tried to put my A's MVP pick into the Phillies MVP slot :argh:

Did get my absolutely lowest rarity percentage yet, at 0.04% for David Phelps at Cubs/Phillies.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Cleveland/A's: Tommy Harper at 0.007%. By far the best I've gotten so far.

I'm pretty good at remembering random guys like that, but the 3000 hits/MVP row and column messed up my rarity score.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Sorry, Twins. I just don't know your players very well. :shrug:

sounds like a skill issue to me

Happy with my grid today

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

howe_sam posted:

Man, I wish it was possible to change your answer because I totally should've used Dennis Eckersley for the A's/Guards square instead of A's MVP.

Eckersley would also work for Cubs/A's!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Knee-jerked Ernie Banks for Cubs/3000 hits and boy was THAT wrong. Got 8/9 though. 18 years and not even CLOSE.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

Knee-jerked Ernie Banks for Cubs/3000 hits and boy was THAT wrong. Got 8/9 though. 18 years and not even CLOSE.

Yeah, there were a couple of other guys I almost guessed that were short by a few hundred.

Step your fuckin' game up, The Cubs.

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 31, 2023

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

8/9 Cubs 3,000 hits messig me up.

Low percentages:
A's/Cubs: Mike Morgan at 0.4% Junk wax card memory on that one.
Phils/Cleveland Kenny Lofton at 1%
Phils/Cubs Larry Bowa at 3%

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol the cubs 3000 hits answer is absolutely fiendish lou brock

was upset that my cubs/phillies mickey morandini pull was not less than 1%.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Today's game is messed up :smith:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

รขย€ย• Corey Dostoyevsky
blue jays legend homer bush at a cool 0.6% :sickos:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

my handsome lads:

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 1, 2023

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

^^^^ You are a loving monster

maffew buildings posted:

Today's game is messed up :smith:

I was so annoyed that I completely forgot Chone Figgins and Gary Pettis for the Angels. I also accidentally guessed Trout for the Angels/Mariners spot thinking I was in the 30 SB column, so my rarity score wouldn't have been amazing anyway

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ozymandius1024 posted:

^^^^ You are a loving monster

I refuse to believe he's not just scouring b-r and picking the super obscure guys lol

my grid for today

My refusal to not use former Twins whenever possible doomed my chances of sub 100 alas

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
I remembered that Rickey Henderson played for the Blue Jays - surely he got 30 SB, right?

He did not. :sigh:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Exodor posted:

I remembered that Rickey Henderson played for the Blue Jays - surely he got 30 SB, right?

Yeah, I made that mistake on a previous one with him for the same reason. used Jose Reyes this time though!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Exodor posted:

Same dingus move made by me, a dingus.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
From the dingus files:

When you know multiple answers that work for a square - stop and think about it before picking one.

I've had an open tab with 8/8 for hours now, hoping a lightbulb will go off for an Astro / Brewer.

My answer in the M's / Astros square plays for the Brewers now and was part of a trade where I could name all four players easily, but I went with the first to pop in my head.

Edit : 20 minutes till I leave work. Threw in one of the 12-13 team guys. Swing and a miss.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 1, 2023

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Today will teach me to guess anyone other than Roberto Clemente for a Pirates hitting feat.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So I went into this one from memory and 4/9 is not a good look there. gently caress the Marlins (historically) and holy poo poo am I tired of my brain holding information but never releasing it. Because I absolutely knew Ivan Rodriguez but hell if he'd ever come to mind.

I'm starting to consider just cheesing the hell out of tomorrow's just to see how far I can push the rarity score. Especially if it ends up being two ancient teams.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Someone should count how often each team is on the grid because it sure feels like the Marlins and Royals are used more than other teams.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
🏀 Immaculate Grid 9 9/9:
Rarity: 35
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com/basketball/mens
@immaculategrid x @bball_ref

I think I'm going to retire now

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

รขย€ย• Corey Dostoyevsky

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Today will teach me to guess anyone other than Roberto Clemente for a Pirates hitting feat.

Dave Parker is also a consistent bet.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rabbi Tupac posted:

🏀 Immaculate Grid 9 9/9:
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:

Nice

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

6/9 (nice) with a 431 rarity

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

corn on the cop posted:

Dave Parker is also a consistent bet.

Barry Bonds too of course but I was genuinely shocked to find out that Andrew McCutchen never got 100 RBI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rabbi Tupac posted:

🏀 Immaculate Grid 9 9/9:
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:

And I thought I was doing great today.

e: See you were doing basketball. Not even trying on that.

⚾️ Immaculate Grid 122 9/9:
Rarity: 49
IMMACULATE!
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩
Play at:
https://immaculategrid.com
@immaculategrid x @baseball_ref

Jeff Conine at 23% throwing off my score. Got a 0.4 with Royals/Rangers combo Charlie Leibrandt. I was divided on whether to go for Big Poison or Pie Traynor for 100 RBI Pirates. Think I got the one with the lower percentage. Waner is at 0.8.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 2, 2023