Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

I. M. Gei posted:

what if I have generalized anxiety disorder?

Imagine your anxiety is a wolf. Then tell it how stupid and gay it is until it runs away. If it comes back you're a gay wolf furry embrace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

GolfHole posted:

i also have a vagus nerve thing

=

can someone expand on this? I know the vagus nerve can have affects on nervous system stuff, just wondering if there's some specific thing people have. I might have it. I'm very anxious and get panic attacks sometimes. Sometimes I've noticed after I take a big dump, I'll have some physical panic attack symptoms that can cause some anxiety and I know the butt is a vagus hotspot. also sometimes having a bad case of gas can actually cause a sensation of very intense dread. so many times I've been on the verge of sheer terror, then I fart and feel better. I'm not joking about this stuff.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've had a lot of good experience with clonidine and metoprolol and lamotrigine for anxiety OP

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

off-label treatments for mental health stuff kinda rules because nothing I take is psychoactive or gives me that feeling of dissociation from self or emotional numbness that brain drugs usually do but it works wonders on depression, anxiety, adhd and ptsd. I'm glad I found a psych who stays up to date on new studies about off label treatments, because nsaids and SSRIs and benzos and amphetamines and stuff always gently caress up my life

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 29, 2023

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
you can stimulate your vagus nerve through your butthole which means that bone shaking prostate orgasms should count as therapy imho hth

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

can someone expand on this? I know the vagus nerve can have affects on nervous system stuff, just wondering if there's some specific thing people have. I might have it. I'm very anxious and get panic attacks sometimes. Sometimes I've noticed after I take a big dump, I'll have some physical panic attack symptoms that can cause some anxiety and I know the butt is a vagus hotspot. also sometimes having a bad case of gas can actually cause a sensation of very intense dread. so many times I've been on the verge of sheer terror, then I fart and feel better. I'm not joking about this stuff.

I'm not getting into the discussion around the validity of it, but the basic idea behind the vagus nerve stuff is that the autonomic nervous system can get pretty badly dysregulated with chronic stress and anxiety. Anxiety can be pre-conscious, embodied, and persistent. So if a parasympathetic response is stimulated, for example by targeting the vagus nerve, some think that it can reduce some of that arousal. My experience indicates that it has an element of truth but it is also more complex than that, and there's a lot of woo-woo stuff out there. And also there's a lot of scientism that denies the validity of stuff like personal work or a deep mind-body connection without basis.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I. M. Gei posted:

I mean, drugs and surgery.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Try stimulating your genitalia op

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

for me i can get 'anxiety' from indigestion because of that stupid nerve
so yea your experience sounds like mine a little bit

it has helped a lot to be aware of it so i can avoid actual panic attacks
(you may have noticed the preceding sensation of extreme nausea)

a couple of years ago i thought i had a heart attack and the paramedics got me to the hospital and the triage nurse asked "do you have a history of panic attacks?" and i was like oh ya lol oops

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Therapy and a gym, bonus points if you can find a therapist at a gym.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I started exercising recently at home, and today exercise set off a panic attack, so I don't think that's the solution for me. I'm still going to try and keep up the regiment, though.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
my therapist actually talks a good bit about bilateral movement, crossing that left/right plane and focusing on it, getting both hands active whether it's drawing circles in the air, petting an animal, or tapping on your chest with your fingertips. I don't know how much it actually helps, but stopping and focusing on the motion instead of whatever's throwing my brain off at least helps in a meditative way

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Overdog posted:

A lot of times it helps to find the specific sources of your anxiety and eliminate them

Yeah OP just kill you're parents, boss, the bank, the bank's shareholders, the world's economic and political elite, and you'll be good to go.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

hmm. I’d try the medication angle before going the, uh, device route

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I think if you have panic attacks you really should take medication. I used to have panic attacks but with the medication I’m on I just…..can’t. The spiraling panic reaction/tightening throat/hyperventilating just doesn’t happen, even if I’m really shook. My body just doesn’t ever react that way anymore.

Also I function so much better when I’m not in a constant state of low-level anxiety at all times.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

deep dish peat moss posted:

off-label treatments for mental health stuff kinda rules because nothing I take is psychoactive or gives me that feeling of dissociation from self or emotional numbness that brain drugs usually do but it works wonders on depression, anxiety, adhd and ptsd. I'm glad I found a psych who stays up to date on new studies about off label treatments, because nsaids and SSRIs and benzos and amphetamines and stuff always gently caress up my life
I agree. I'm taking guanfacine (originally a blood pressure drug, like clonidine) and a lower end dose of gabapentin and it has been vastly more effective than anything that I've tried before, largely because it can't paper over anxiety or depression like some other drugs that I've taken. I actually have to work on stuff, and that's where the long term results lie. It just makes the embodied stress reaction way more manageable and I haven't had any panic attacks.

e: not to say that taking something with a stronger cognitive or emotional effect is bad, it was just bad for me after a while. I think it can be a disservice to people to say, start with benzos or quickly ramp them up to a medium or high SSRI dosage without a more holistic picture of mental health

nice obelisk idiot fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 29, 2023

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

DickParasite posted:

Yeah OP just kill you're parents, boss, the bank, the bank's shareholders, the world's economic and political elite, and you'll be good to go.

If you get started, I'll stop to pick up lunch and then join you. That sound ok?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Sucrose posted:

I think if you have panic attacks you really should take medication. I used to have panic attacks but with the medication I’m on I just…..can’t. The spiraling panic reaction/tightening throat/hyperventilating just doesn’t happen, even if I’m really shook. My body just doesn’t ever react that way anymore.

Also I function so much better when I’m not in a constant state of low-level anxiety at all times.

ssris don't help with this much for me. Doc let me try a beta blocker and it felt so weird and awful. Not too much different from an adderall crash, really. Not taking that one again.

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

This tracks for me. I take propranolol, a blood pressure medication, to help treat a lot of the physical symptoms of my anxiety. Vitamin D helps as well, I had a massive deficiency from being a pasty-faced goon. When I was uninsured and desperate I would take Benadryl for my panic attacks.

Sensate looks like bullshit. I do use sound to help manage my anxiety by putting on white noise or chatter during times when I know my brain is more likely to work itself into a froth. Current favorites are TM Soft white noise app/podcast and Sleep With Me podcast. Both of those are free.

If you’re struggling with meditation practice, try listening to a guided meditation track, there’s tons of free ones and having a voice guiding you can help with the intrusive thoughts.

Sensate looks like it has poised itself to take advantage of people’s anxiety struggles for a profit. That’s pretty gross IMO.

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DickParasite posted:

I don't think my parents are in that group.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

nice obelisk idiot posted:

I agree. I'm taking guanfacine (originally a blood pressure drug, like clonidine) and a lower end dose of gabapentin and it has been vastly more effective than anything that I've tried before, largely because it can't paper over anxiety or depression like some other drugs that I've taken. I actually have to work on stuff, and that's where the long term results lie. It just makes the embodied stress reaction way more manageable and I haven't had any panic attacks.

:respek:
The way I described it to my psych is if I think of my thoughts as a 100 meter track I need to run down, it's full of obstacles and hurdles that I need to jump over to get to the end and reach the thought and with no meds sometimes I give up halfway through. Adderall made me feel like a rocket was strapped to my back and it smashed me right through every obstacle, which got me to the end but left me covered in cuts and bruises. Clonidine on the other hand just removes all the hurdles and obstacles and lets me run to the end on my own. I still have to motivate myself to run down the track and I still have to do the work to get there, but there aren't a million things in my way anymore.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

https://youtu.be/SHtWBdyRW9Y

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Sucrose posted:

This is the truth, unless it is a short term thing causing issues. Say, you are getting married in two weeks, you wouldn't be the first to have a few panic attacks. If just while trying to exist, therapy and medicine can make a world of difference.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Hairy Right Hook posted:

That poo poo causes lifelong dependency. It's incredible for acute issues but I've seen people with regular doses get upped and upped and upped until they can't up them no more. Then they can't pivot because even weening off literally causes seizures.

no offense to the people you've "seen" but their dr is an idiot and should probably be sued. my overall point was to see a dr and follow their advice... which will probably be either a benzo or an ssri. don't buy some weird crystal healing thing or whatever product johnny avocado quinoa says you should buy on youtube.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

if you get a quartz or a amethyst you can stick it up your butthole and it will help keep you in the moment and very focused on the crystal that's up you're butt

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Just sent a message to my therapist yesterday asking for her advice on if I should try increasing my fluoxetine intake. Anxiety sucks y'all

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Anxiety, do menial tasks in public for 15 minutes, get exhausted, and sleep rest of the day.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zoesdare posted:

This tracks for me. I take propranolol, a blood pressure medication, to help treat a lot of the physical symptoms of my anxiety. Vitamin D helps as well, I had a massive deficiency from being a pasty-faced goon. When I was uninsured and desperate I would take Benadryl for my panic attacks.

A friend of mine is a professional cellist in a big city orchestra and tells me a bunch of the musicians are on blood pressure medication to manage stage fright.

Overdog posted:

I don't think my parents are in that group.

Get a load of Mr My-Parents-Aren't-The Source-Of-All-My-Traumas!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

if im supposed to increase the exercise and decrease the caffeine what the gently caress am i supposed to do with this enormous tub of Dr. X's Megga Shredd Ripped Premium 16K pre-workout im not gonna not lunk out ya know

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Hell Yeah posted:

no offense to the people you've "seen" but their dr is an idiot and should probably be sued. my overall point was to see a dr and follow their advice... which will probably be either a benzo or an ssri. don't buy some weird crystal healing thing or whatever product johnny avocado quinoa says you should buy on youtube.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I had a short script for a benzo (I forget which one) and it was remarkably effective for acute anxiety.

Ironically I am also anxious about getting addicted to things, so I never sought another prescription, as horror stories abound about benzo addiction/withdrawal, including when medically prescribed.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think many doctors even prescribe benzos anymore, they've gone the way of the opiates and the amphetamines because of enormous potential for misuse

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I don't think many doctors even prescribe benzos anymore, they've gone the way of the opiates and the amphetamines because of enormous potential for misuse

oh, they still prescribe em

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Sensate seems like tech startup bunkum. If you want something that helps and involves headphones, download the Basic Wheel of Awareness from this page (inspect the elements of the page to find a link to the mp3. There’s a bunch of different versions of it on there but the twenty minute basic one is, for me, sufficient):

https://drdansiegel.com/wheel-of-awareness/

It’s like meditation where you have to do it consistently until it’s second nature, and then keep doing it, but it really does help and it’s simple to learn through guided repetition via the recording. Eventually you might find yourself using parts of the exercise to ground yourself during spikes in stress (the methodical review of the body’s interior works really well for me).

I got this from my therapist. Get one of those too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I agree that Sensate looks like scammy, and I have a hard time believing it would actually do anything other than maybe provide a placebo effect.

It doesn't help that "anxiety" is treated like a single thing, when it's actually an umbrella for a shitload of different types of anxiety. Certain drugs work well for certain kinds of anxiety, while doing fuckall for different kinds of anxiety. Mindfulness works great for a lot of types kind of anxiety, but not all. Depression is kind of similar, in that people often talk about it like it's a monolithic thing but it's actually a constellation of things that need different approaches to try to deal with.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I agree that Sensate looks like scammy, and I have a hard time believing it would actually do anything other than maybe provide a placebo effect.

It doesn't help that "anxiety" is treated like a single thing, when it's actually an umbrella for a shitload of different types of anxiety. Certain drugs work well for certain kinds of anxiety, while doing fuckall for different kinds of anxiety. Mindfulness works great for a lot of types kind of anxiety, but not all. Depression is kind of similar, in that people often talk about it like it's a monolithic thing but it's actually a constellation of things that need different approaches to try to deal with.

I wish this post was all very well-known information to people in general. The times I've been asked stupid questions about my own diagnoses are frustrating, to say the least.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

DickParasite posted:

This made me laugh really hard.

I really just wanted opinions on this particular nonsense. I'm already doing all that other poo poo that everybody assumed I'm not already doing and it's going really well. But I get it, they don't want other people struggling and reading this to think this is a good first option and if this becomes an anxiety awareness thread that's cool too.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
This is the only premium level cyberpunk wearable that does anything for you.

https://www.dyson.com/headphones/zone

Noise cancellation stops the ambient aural horrors from entering.

The air filter keeps you safe from the eternally burning corpse of Canada.

Then you can play Wheel of Awareness through it on loop so that a gentle voiced doctor can keep calming you with reminders that you have intestines, thoughts, and neighbors.

If they added blinders it would be the ultimate headgear for horse-nerved men on the go.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Benzos can be fine, but they almost killed me. I've experienced pain in my life but going off them was by far the worst possible thing I have ever felt. Now, but extreme cause the doctor who prescribed them and told me how to take them is not allowed to practice medicine after killing another patient the same way, but anyway.

For acute panic attacks I use clonidine. It's a blood pressure med that kind of sucks for blood pressure regulation, but works great for panic attacks. It's also not a physically dependant drug like a benzo. I also take a low dose SSRI for OCD for record.

Otherwise the best thing for my mental health is the cliche of get exercise, talk to people in person, get sunlit, eat properly, stay hydrated, etc etc. It's patronising but it works, which is annoying. It won't cure you but it will help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

mysterious frankie posted:

This is the only premium level cyberpunk wearable that does anything for you.

https://www.dyson.com/headphones/zone

Noise cancellation stops the ambient aural horrors from entering.

The air filter keeps you safe from the eternally burning corpse of Canada.

Then you can play Wheel of Awareness through it on loop so that a gentle voiced doctor can keep calming you with reminders that you have intestines, thoughts, and neighbors.

If they added blinders it would be the ultimate headgear for horse-nerved men on the go.
Incredible.

quote:

It's patronising but it works, which is annoying.
Therapy in a nutshell