Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the big tower had a bad stick, so i bumped it to 2x32s

the little servers are 16gb each, just running pi-hole/plex/homebridge etc. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I remember having 512 mb of ram and upgrading to 1 gb to improve performance and stuttering in star wars galaxies but it made zero difference lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

how much ram do ewe need?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
however much tim put in it, dont care

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Buck Turgidson posted:

8GB is above average, actually.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i've got about half a quart left of goslings

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

however much tim put in it, dont care

also this for the macbook air tho. think i got it with 16gb? works fine.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

oh sorry i read the title as rum.

i've had approximately 15 rem in my lifetime. at old job doses got up to somewhere around 5 mrem/hour at worst, or a approximately 100x background levels.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

got a dodge ram OP

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
theyre not dodges any more

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
if it was even possible for ram division to have a worse manufacturer than dodge, life uhh found a way

16gigs for most other than the soon to be returned to ewaste r815 with 256gb

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
anything over 16gb is bourgeois decadence

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats right

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

theyre not dodges any more

wtf

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

computer lab ram kid paid me a visit and gave me two mismatched 4GB modules

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

anything over 16gb is bourgeois decadence

between Firefox and Minecraft and not using swap on Linux,

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

Firefox and Minecraft and … Linux,

found your problem right here, op

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i'll show you my CAS latency if you show me yours

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i have 64 gigs so i can compile huge projects and run vms

it's only ddr4, because at the time i built this thing, early ddr5 ram cost something like 3x more for a minuscule performance increase

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
man ddr5 dropped like a rock though. the ram in my intel box i bought in dec/mar 2022/23 ended up being the same within a few bucks as the ddr4 i bought for the ryzen in nov 2020

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i turned jonny into the big ram man

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
listening to the ram records takeover of the bbc "radio 1 dance presents" show from last year rn

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
did ddr5 end up including ecc or do I still need to buy that for my next zfs build

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I have 48 gb but for some reason my computer still takes 30 seconds to wake up sometimes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hed posted:

did ddr5 end up including ecc or do I still need to buy that for my next zfs build

ecc ram is a huge scam

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

akadajet posted:

ecc ram is a huge scam

just like dentistry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

ecc ram is a huge scam

the heck

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

unless you’re computing in a space ship and bits are getting flipped by space beams there’s no reason for it

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeowch! my bits!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
caring about specs in 2023. lol

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My computer is from 2010. I'm torn between wanting to replace it, and seeing if I can get a full 15 years out of it.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ryanrs posted:

My computer is from 2010. I'm torn between wanting to replace it, and seeing if I can get a full 15 years out of it.

nice. c2d ?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

unless you’re computing in a space ship and bits are getting flipped by space beams there’s no reason for it

lol

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

It's an old cheesegrater mac pro. The only issue is getting newer Mac OS to run on it. I'd be madder about the forced obsolescence, but it's actually pretty drat old.

I can't believe all the original fans still work fine.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ryanrs posted:

It's an old cheesegrater mac pro. The only issue is getting newer Mac OS to run on it

if youre not aware of dosdude1 well here you go https://dosdude1.com/software.html

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, maybe I should keep this going just out of sheer stubbornness. I fully upgraded it when that processor generation (Xeon Westmere?) was retired from datacenters. So it has dual 6-core cpus and 96 gb of ram and heats the condo in the winter (and in the summer).

There was a really long gap when Apple had no computer that I wanted to buy (like the round mac pros). But the new mac studio seems good, and the Apple CPUs seem good.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i have 2x32 gb and rarely go above 25% usage

buuuuuut

The Management posted:

I’ve got 128 gigs, op. I didn’t buy it so much for the capacity as for the bandwidth. more cores require more ram bandwidth

poo poo, i never thought of that. maybe i should try 4x32 and see if it makes a difference for daw recording/playback performance. i get some occasional lag with more than 8 tracks or so

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

ryanrs posted:

i've got what was the cheapest 13" 2009 macbook pro and was running big sur on it using those opencore patchers, it would probably run way better on a 2010 mac pro. anyway i just installed linux mint on it and it was surprisingly painless and works pretty well. so that's an option too.

next month will mark 14 years since i bought it, and i still use it as a garage/workshop computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Another possibility is to buy a Mac Studio and demote the old Mac Pro to Windows CAD duty. Right now I am running Solidworks on a NUC, ha ha. It runs surprisingly ok.