Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Eeyo posted:

I've been trying to use more sumac lately.

Sumac is the fruit of Rhus species, most often Rhus coriaria. It's the reddish, hairy outer part of the fruit which grows in large clusters. Sumac is most often sold as a powder, and is a component of za'atar: a mixture of herbs, sesame seeds, salt, and sumac.

Za'atar is pretty great - it's used in recipes throughout the Mediterranean, Middle-East and North Africa. I've started making it myself, as the pre-made blends I've found are dusty and tasteless. I really like sprinking it on roasted eggplant, fried chickpeas, tagine dishes like Moroccan chicken and as a spice rub for lamb. It's also good for sprinking on flatbread with olive oil. Try it with fried eggs!

The definition of Za'atar varies wildly from region to region but this is roughly what I've landed on. I'll add or subtract ingredients depending on what's in the cupboard but you gotta have the sumac, sesame and thyme. I like to add dried orange rind as well - Not sure if this is proper but I like it. It isn't necessary for dishes that already have some citrus in them though.

Ground sumac berries
Toasted sesame seeds
Ground cumin
Ground coriander
Fennel
Thyme

You can also add dried mint, marjoram or oregano.
Dried citrus rind, especially orange rind is a good addition for savoury dishes.

E:

dino. posted:

Suppose you do the basic tarka, and then add a bit of grated ginger, and turmeric. Fry until the ginger is fragrant. Toss this through some cooked rice, add some lemon juice, and you've got lemon rice. Do the basic tarka, add some roasted peanuts, and some freshly grated coconut. Toss with cooked rice, and you've got coconut rice! There's a bunch of different variations on a theme, but they all start here.

Just a cautionary note for folks trying this out, I've found that ginger doesn't tolerate the high heat of the cooking oil well, so I'll usually take it off the burner and and add the ginger at the very end. The same counts for garlic in SEA food.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU