Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does anyone have any idea just how many things have to go right for a modern computer to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't believe we did it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
those sons of bitches.. they really did it didn't they. they really made computers that work. computers that turn on and just work. they just went and did it

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

we bad programmers have a lot to thank good EEs for

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

does anyone have any idea just how many things have to go right for a modern computer to work

yeah in my experience the number of things that has to go right for a computer to work is n+1, where n is the number of things which are currently working.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
pretty wild that something can keep more or less perfect math for hundreds of trillions of operations just to make sure you know the helg status of james

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^^ this person gets it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

computer stopped working

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

beep boop

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i wonder how many billions of dollars have been spent in total on computer hardware development

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i wonder how many billions of dollars have been spent in total on computer hardware development

3?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol look at this guy who thinks that computers work

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
computers are just overgrown rube goldberg machines

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

weirdly i find it more amazing that modern cars work, considering how many extremely different engineering disciplines are intermingling, getting manufactured at a vast scale at reasonable cost.

for a computer you only really need to figure out a couple of components to a sufficiently high standard of reliability that you can have billions of them without individual failures.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

weirdly i find it more amazing that modern cars work, considering how many extremely different engineering disciplines are intermingling, getting manufactured at a vast scale at reasonable cost.

for a computer you only really need to figure out a couple of components to a sufficiently high standard of reliability that you can have billions of them without individual failures.

and you have to arrange billions of them into increasingly larger components that perform within timing constraints billions of time a second for billions of consecutive seconds at a time under a variety of conditions.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Internet Old One posted:

and you have to arrange billions of them into increasingly larger components that perform within timing constraints billions of time a second for billions of consecutive seconds at a time under a variety of conditions.

yeah, but still, i have somehow internalized extremely regular replication as more of a thing than the mess of pieces that goes into a ice car

e.g. i think if all manufactured goods disappeared tomorrow i kind of suspect we'd get back to very decent computers faster than we'd get a reliable mass market car again.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

yeah, but still, i have somehow internalized extremely regular replication as more of a thing than the mess of pieces that goes into a ice car

e.g. i think if all manufactured goods disappeared tomorrow i kind of suspect we'd get back to very decent computers faster than we'd get a reliable mass market car again.

Depends on what you mean by a decent computer and a reliable car. I think we’ll be able to cast and machine parts that make a car that can be reasonably expected to make it across the country without a breakdown before we get the MSI required to make a machine with Altair level power. If we can machine with the precision to get secondary storage more advanced than punch cards then we’re doing pretty good. Then what about a display that anyone would want to use?

I gotta admit I don’t know a ton about cars but I know hobbyists manage more impressive feats of unnecessary automotive engineering in their garages than what I see computer nerds cranking out when it comes to semiconductors.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 7, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

reason i think the car will get trickier is that ultimately the most complex parts of a computer are pretty much manufactured in one go in one room. e.g. a cpu is complex, but broadly knowing how we did it last you could put together a team to work on it on one site and it'd be workable.

a car is an absolutely monstrous supply chain by comparison.

but, indeed depends on what one means, i may be putting a high standard on cars and low of computers.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Yeah but how are you going to get all that precise lithography equipment?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, has to get built. otoh where are you going to get a decent ecu before you get a computer? or if we go really mechanical (losing some reliability at once for sure), you have to design all that stuff before the computer team gets in to help you.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

i mean, has to get built. otoh where are you going to get a decent ecu before you get a computer? or if we go really mechanical (losing some reliability at once for sure), you have to design all that stuff before the computer team gets in to help you.

Carburetors were basically mechanical analog computers

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ADINSX posted:

Carburetors were basically mechanical analog computers

yep, were also a lot less reliable than modern cars though, which admittedly is me randomly making up what i mean by a "modern reliable car" vs. what i mean by "decent computer"

e: that's boring though. while i do think a reliable modern car would need electronics (not that obviously ic's), more to the point: i suspect that the level of reliability currently enjoyed is some 50 years of refinement that is actually really hard replicate even having the broad knowledge of what went into them.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 7, 2023

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I suspect a lot of older car unreliability came from other aspects of their design and maybe also manufacturing techniques vs a carburetor itself. I do agree though that a lot of older tech required more routine maintenance though (points ignition for example)

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

I was thinking mechanically. I know people were driving across country without breakdowns before the first ECU came out.

Interesting this guy was the first to do so but apparently he replaced nearly every piece of the car across the course of his journey so I don’t know if that’s dependable. I imagine a dependable automobile to probably get across the country after a shakedown period and servicing before the trip.

I see that someone took a Ford Model A an impressive 22,000 miles. It required some reasonable service work across this trip but I can’t find any record of exactly what or how often. The transmission is mentioned in particular but I think a car requiring transmission work in 22k miles would still be of immense utility to a typical person.

I imagine a good computer to be at least altair’s speed plus a keyboard and a display with a movable cursor at least 40 characters wide, plus secondary storage at least paper tape and 32kb of ram or maybe 24k ram if you can get floppy disk storage.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

now that computers work we can focus on making printers work

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

now that computers work we can focus on making printers work

That’s a post-singularity problem. We have a greater chance of developing warp drive.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
i don't think printers can ever truly work in an universe with this particular set of laws of physics

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

armpit_enjoyer posted:

i don't think printers can ever truly work in an universe with this particular set of laws of physics

ive seen printers that work but they look like this and require dedicated workers

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
technically those are printing machines. the printers are the workers that make the machine go, and they're unionised and i want to kiss them on the mouth

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Yeah they used to have some really good greenbar printers back in the mainframe days and if the MTBF on a part was low they’d actually have people sitting around somewhere doing science to make it better.

More recently I worked at a place where we had a high volume laser printer shared between like 10 people and though I don’t remember how often it broke I probably changed out every user serviceable part within 5 years and it wasn’t even used that much and we had similar models sitting out in important places where we lost money every minute it was down. I often complained that we shouldn’t have printers involved in such important processes but somehow that sounded like some insane futurist talk about jet packs and flying cars. I’m sure the same model printers are somehow even shittier now.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i was thinking a lot more ambitious on both computer and car, but tbh i feel like i am moving some very loosely defined goalposts here, you're for sure not wrong with this take either. it is fun to think about though, in particular trying to put some measure to how hard a commonly available mundane thing actually is to make.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

early days of electronic fuel injection were totally analog using almost all discrete components like Bosch's Druck-Jetronic in the mid 60s and AMC & Chrysler's use of the Bendix Electrojector in 1958

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ah, i will add that one bit of defense though: i do think people vastly underestimate the reliability improvements we've seen since. and how hard-won they were.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

yeah it's hosed up that they do op

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Internet Old One posted:

Yeah they used to have some really good greenbar printers back in the mainframe days and if the MTBF on a part was low they’d actually have people sitting around somewhere doing science to make it better.

More recently I worked at a place where we had a high volume laser printer shared between like 10 people and though I don’t remember how often it broke I probably changed out every user serviceable part within 5 years and it wasn’t even used that much and we had similar models sitting out in important places where we lost money every minute it was down. I often complained that we shouldn’t have printers involved in such important processes but somehow that sounded like some insane futurist talk about jet packs and flying cars. I’m sure the same model printers are somehow even shittier now.

printer manufacturers don't want high-reliability printers. the margin is in the consumables and the longer a printer lives the longer someone might just buy third-party ink/toner for it. we had a dell 5230 (which was basically a rebadged Lexmark if i remember right) which ran for several years and racked up nearly a million pages printed before it got replaced, and for most of its life we bought third-party toner.

get companies used to the notion that printers just suck, get them to go with managed printing services where everything's covered so long as you keep buying official consumables, and boom there's your consistent revenue stream. keep refreshing printer models so that A) when the crappy 'old' printer breaks down you've got an excuse to say "well, that unit's just EOL anyway, time to 'upgrade' to the new model", and B) keep it harder for third parties to offer reman ink/toner carts

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

armpit_enjoyer posted:

the old hp laserjets had a reputation for being absolute tanks. i think reliable printers are entirely technically possible, they're just incompatible with the incentives of capitalism.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

8723_2nd
Aug 7, 2023
error: 5pm, no longer able to support user, forfitting connection

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the old hp laserjets had a reputation for being absolute tanks. i think reliable printers are entirely technically possible, they're just incompatible with the incentives of capitalism.

I had a $5 yard sale hp LaserJet with 250k previous impressions on it and it was perfect, good drivers and never failed to print a solid page quickly from cold in a few seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i leave a gift for the elves in the sauna and they make my computer work good