Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Moon Monster posted:

Kid Chameleon was the superior Genesis "kid" game. Just look at this badass

If you wear a helmet you better watch the gently caress out, Kid Chameleon is strictly picking fights with helmeted dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Animal-Mother posted:

If you wear a helmet you better watch the gently caress out, Kid Chameleon is strictly picking fights with helmeted dudes.

Could Kid Chameleon clobber Commander Keen?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

You find and equip the helmets to gain new suits giving you powers and abilities. That's Kid Chameleon wearing those.

This reminded me of another bad to middling game I rented a lot for some reason and that's Rocky Rodent. You gained new powers and abilities by equipping different hair styles such as a mohawk you could throw like a boomerang and some big cow lick that let you climb platforms.

I also rented some game for the NES that was essentially just MSPaint with a roaring tiger on the front of it. I was disappointed it wasn't some cool tiger game but I still had some fun with it because this was well before I had a computer.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 23, 2023

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Serious 'tude itt

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

The evil mirror universe Burger King Kids Club

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm here to remind everyone of the Sega port of Dark Castle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vpTG9hXt8s

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Arc Light posted:

The evil mirror universe Burger King Kids Club

Where we're going, we don't need Wheels...

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm here to remind everyone of the Sega port of Dark Castle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vpTG9hXt8s

The original Mac version was kinda cool for 1986. All the ports lack the mouse aiming of that version and suffer hard for it. Not like the original is a masterpiece or anything, but it's neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkbp4wurW0

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Extra Large Marge posted:

I was at a used DVD/CD/Video game store with a friend and we came across this:

It was for sale for $1, and we bought it based on the cover alone (comic was not included unfortunately).

Yes, you play as a magic dwarf riding a unicorn, the controls are very confusing and it has a very extensive tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk7w1UhYwuA

A lot of flashing colors, and there are only a few voice samples so you frequently get to hear how the dwarf's butt is sore.

Still waiting on chapter two...

The voice of Pryzm the Dark Unicorn was provided by none other than Matt Mercer :eng101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb2sNTKx6a8

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Do not adjust your screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHMuwlchhmM

Deadly Premonition is my favorite video game of all time and I'll never play it again. It took me days of calling every Gamestop in the outer 'burbs of Tampa to find a copy. It cost more in gas to drive out to Lutz than I paid for the game. Nothing since has put me through the gamut of emotions as that one glorious playthrough. Frustration, disbelief, disappointment, a not inconsiderable amount of anger, sadness, bemusement, happiness, and a sense of total contentment afterwards.

The graphics are, for the most part, simple to the point of looking like they didn't get very far out of the development phase (because they didn't). The character animations are rudimentary and bizarre. It performs like dogshit on 360, and was straight up broken when ported to PS3 and PC. The controls are clunky and imprecise, with some of the most horrid driving in any video game ever. Combat feels very... half baked and tacked on (because it is). The overworld is far too large and empty to make travelling through it fun, with the terrible minimap not helping at all. There are absurd difficulty spikes during cutscene QTEs. Even the more interesting gameplay ideas, like time sensitive events/minigames during the day, are an absolute mess.

The thing is a complete and total slog, from beginning to end.

But. BUT! It drips with charm. Each major character feels like a real person, with their own motivations, their own little lives going on. The bar feels like a real place people get together to relax, the diner itself has more personality than GTAV's San Andreas. Every location feels lived in; used, cared for, abused, or abandoned. DP's story (and I'm being careful not to spoil anything here) goes off the rails in the most delightful Twin Peaks fashion. The game makes no loving sense, while being totally coherent. The devs really poured their hearts into a game that fails very badly at being completely terrible.

I can't say enough about Deadly Premonition. What I can say wouldn't do it justice. Play it. Just once. Trust me.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 23, 2023

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

Deadly Premonition is my favorite video game of all time and I'll never play it again. It took me days of calling every Gamestop in the outer 'burbs of Tampa to find a copy. It cost more in gas to drive out to Lutz than I paid for the game. Nothing since has put me through the gamut of emotions as that one glorious playthrough. Frustration, disbelief, disappointment, a not inconsiderable amount of anger, sadness, bemusement, happiness, and a sense of total contentment afterwards.

The graphics are, for the most part, simple to the point of looking like they didn't get very far out of the development phase (because they didn't). The character animations are rudimentary and bizarre. It performs like dogshit on 360, and was straight up broken when ported to PS3 and PC. The controls are clunky and imprecise, with some of the most horrid driving in any video game ever. Combat feels very... half baked and tacked on (because it is). The overworld is far too large and empty to make travelling through it fun, with the terrible minimap not helping at all. There are absurd difficulty spikes during cutscene QTEs. Even the more interesting gameplay ideas, like time sensitive events/minigames during the day, are an absolute mess.

But. BUT! It drips with charm. Each major character feels like a real person, with their own motivations, their own little lives going on. The bar feels like a real place people get together to relax, the diner itself has more personality than GTAV's San Andreas. Every location feels lived in; used, cared for, abused, or abandoned. DP's story (and I'm being careful not to spoil anything here) goes off the rails in the most delightful Twin Peaks fashion. The game makes no loving sense, while being totally coherent. The devs really poured their hearts into a game that fails very badly at being completely terrible.

I can't say enough about Deadly Premonition. What I can say wouldn't do it justice. Play it. Just once. Trust me.

Oh, man, have I got a TV show recommendation for you.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm half awake and the fly head looked like a butt for a minute lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

great game.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

madeintaipei posted:

:five:

I never got around to finishing it by myself (lmao PC port and my save was softlocked when I was around halfway through) but watching a buddy play it all the way was just :allears:

It's a terrible game when it comes to actually playing the drat thing yet the overall experience is worth every moment.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

madeintaipei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs

this tune lives rent free in my head

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

"Ha! They'll never learn!"

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Probably the most mediocre 5/10 videogame ever

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Butt Farce

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

That player Hawk would also say "Death comes to town" when she'd kill someone. It got old quick. One level ended on a big boss that ends in this tree thing that took a zillion hits to finish off while it shouted dumb threats at you but couldn't hurt you.

My friend and played a lot of these 5/10s on the gen1 Xbox. Rent, play for a weekend then try to forget.

Like this game. Pretty bad gameplay and everything else. But there was a character named Tanaka that was weak in this one mode so we called him tough actin' Tanaka and got some laughs out of it.

And this dumb game. IIRC it'd track 3 parts of the body where your shots hit so you could maybe claim nut shots. There was this one game mechanic where you'd kick the walls to reveal hidden stuff and the image while co-op mode was this awkward boot that'd fill most of the screen.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Speaking of deadly premonition, wasn't this game made by the same strange guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOOPPuZsBg4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yes, let's not focus on Sonic 1 and instead point our attention to Sonic Eraser, a Sega Meganet downloadable game with music designed to induce migraines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0HGHuTEAlI

Holy loving christ that is awful.

Who made that noise?

I want names.

I will find them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't know anything about this game but the bug always makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhG9D9UO7c

SHAUN!!!!

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't know anything about this game but the bug always makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhG9D9UO7c

SHAUN!!!!

Always a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVEnrJeHtOs

Back on topic, this is when I learned the difference between platformers made by Japanese studios and those made by literally anyone else in the 90s: The Incredible Crash Test Dummies. I tried so hard to love it but, aside from the clever way you lose limbs as you get hurt, the game is just not good. You can't really tell from the video, but I remember the game feeling just horrible to play. Jank incarnate.

I remember it being really hard too, but I was, like, 6 at the time, so I was hardly a seasoned Pro Gamer by then.

edit: Hilariously enough, here's the entirely of the company's history, according to the "List of Acclaim Entertainment subsidiaries" wiki page: "Flying Edge was a division of Acclaim that was founded in 1992 to publish games on Sega consoles. The division was dissolved in 1994.[citation needed]"

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 23, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Pigma_Micron posted:

Always a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVEnrJeHtOs

Back on topic, this is when I learned the difference between platformers made by Japanese studios and those made by literally anyone else in the 90s: The Incredible Crash Test Dummies. I tried so hard to love it but, aside from the clever way you lose limbs as you get hurt, the game is just not good. You can't really tell from the video, but I remember the game feeling just horrible to play. Jank incarnate.

I remember it being really hard too, but I was, like, 6 at the time, so I was hardly a seasoned Pro Gamer by then.

edit: Hilariously enough, here's the entirely of the company's history, according to the "List of Acclaim Entertainment subsidiaries" wiki page: "Flying Edge was a division of Acclaim that was founded in 1992 to publish games on Sega consoles. The division was dissolved in 1994.[citation needed]"
Is this the girl from I Think You Should Leave?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It was for sale for $1, and we bought it based on the cover alone (comic was not included unfortunately).

Yes, you play as a magic dwarf riding a unicorn, the controls are very confusing and it has a very extensive tutorial.

A lot of flashing colors, and there are only a few voice samples so you frequently get to hear how the dwarf's butt is sore.

Developed by :dice: simultaneously with a different game. They released that other game one week after Pryzm and for some reason, that's the series that took off.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Jelly posted:

Is this the girl from I Think You Should Leave?

It is not. That's Simone de Rochefort along with others from the Polygon video team.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I watched my college roommate play through some of this and had the same thought (I think there was decent excitement for this one at the time)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Holy loving christ that is awful.

Who made that noise?

I want names.

I will find them.

The Genesis/MD FM synth (and FM synthesis in general) is like a very sharp cooking knife; used correctly, you get wonderful creations. In the wrong hands, people suffer.

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

Konar posted:

I watched my college roommate play through some of this and had the same thought (I think there was decent excitement for this one at the time)

Every time I see that game cover, my brain parses the title as TOOTH MAN

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Konar posted:

It had the same "excitement" as Duke Nukem Forever: Morbid curiosity towards what the end product of a game with so much development drama could possibly look like.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

It already came out, little game called Elden Ring. From stole their horse jumping!!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don;t think any of you spent an entire night playing {game here} with an Atari 2600 just to flip it, whatever that means,

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Poohs Packin posted:

If you fed this scenario into a defense computer it would nuke itself.

I'll remember this tip for when I'm faced with one in the upcoming war with the machines.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Konar posted:

The game that got Silicon Knights sued into nonexistence because they stole Unreal 3 code. iirc it was free on Xbox Live like a couple years ago.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Konar posted:

"It's a good day to die."

"You always say that."

"It always is."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

emSparkly posted:

The game that got Silicon Knights sued into nonexistence because they stole Unreal 3 code. iirc it was free on Xbox Live like a couple years ago.

it's permanently free on xbox

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Pigma_Micron posted:

Ah man, as much as I loved the Crash Test Dummies toys, that game was still a solid "once and never again" rental, which says a lot considering my age, intelligence, and selection to choose from at the King Soopers.

Which reminds me, Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers on the SNES was a beat-em-up and I remember looking at the back of the box thinking "dang, this game looks awesome." I had a Genesis though, and our version was a crappy fighting game. It's kinda fun to pop in now and then but such a disappointment at the time.

From skimming wikipedia, apparently they both kinda sucked. Also lol at Billy being a pudgy kid in the SNES version for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7BRvTyhuNY&t=480s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y67DNsZw_yg

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bo Katan's early career

Jemak
Dec 27, 2003

Go to JAIL.
Go directly to JAIL.
Do not pass GO.
Do not collect :200bux:

Fantasy Zone was tits and gave me the weird fixation on SHMUPS and acid-trip-inspired SEGA games that I still have today.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the GAME.COM yet, every port to that thing was a hot poo poo sundae.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F14pBxcu6yY

Holy poo poo, or the CYBIKO? Did anyone else have that piece of this besides me, my little brother, and like two friends in high school?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38VEBOseAzM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Jemak posted:

Fantasy Zone was tits and gave me the weird fixation on SHMUPS and acid-trip-inspired SEGA games that I still have today.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the GAME.COM yet, every port to that thing was a hot poo poo sundae.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F14pBxcu6yY

Holy poo poo, or the CYBIKO? Did anyone else have that piece of this besides me, my little brother, and like two friends in high school?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38VEBOseAzM

Game.com came up like 2 pages back fwiw. Still worth dogpiling on it tho.

Cybiko seems like something I would have gone crazy for if I knew it existed back in the day. Though I lived in the middle of BFE so it's not like I would have had anyone to talk to on it.