Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Big rear end On Fire posted:

That player Hawk would also say "Death comes to town" when she'd kill someone. It got old quick. One level ended on a big boss that ends in this tree thing that took a zillion hits to finish off while it shouted dumb threats at you but couldn't hurt you.

My friend and played a lot of these 5/10s on the gen1 Xbox. Rent, play for a weekend then try to forget.

Like this game. Pretty bad gameplay and everything else. But there was a character named Tanaka that was weak in this one mode so we called him tough actin' Tanaka and got some laughs out of it.

And this dumb game. IIRC it'd track 3 parts of the body where your shots hit so you could maybe claim nut shots. There was this one game mechanic where you'd kick the walls to reveal hidden stuff and the image while co-op mode was this awkward boot that'd fill most of the screen.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was schlocky, but the fun kind of schlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

bossy lady posted:

Speaking of deadly premonition, wasn't this game made by the same strange guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOOPPuZsBg4

how is this not a tim and eric bit?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

bossy lady posted:

Speaking of deadly premonition, wasn't this game made by the same strange guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOOPPuZsBg4

Did the Xavier: Renegade Angel guys consult on this?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein is truly bizarre for how... passionless it feels for a game that on paper has so much going for it. I think the overabundance of overused stock sound effects adds a lot to that impression. Like seriously, even back in 2001, did anyone not start laughing their asses off when they got to the crypt full of zombies and the intro cutscene for it had a cavalcade of stock screams in the distance like something out of a $1 "Spooky Halloween Sound Effects" CD?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
This RtCW talk has me feeling the Berenstein Effect hard; I played the hell out of multiplayer back in the day but have zero memory of it even having a campaign

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Wintermutant posted:

This RtCW talk has me feeling the Berenstein Effect hard; I played the hell out of multiplayer back in the day but have zero memory of it even having a campaign

Did you play Enemy Territory? That was the standalone multiplayer game that was class based, and had missions with objectives. It was free.

RtCW was a single player campaign based game, ET was a canceled multiplayer-focused expansion that ended up being released as freeware.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Beetlejuice on the NES is one horrible, lousy piece of poo poo.

It begins as what seems to be a generic ~~okay-ish platformer with some standard fare music from David Wise, then not even 20 seconds into the action you suddenly get obliterated by a rainbow beam, because an object which appears to be part of the background is in fact a hazard. Here's what it pretty much looked like the first time I played this loving garbage:
https://i.imgur.com/1pNBj4m.mp4

What, you expected reasonable i-frames after being hit? lol, lmao

The single most crippling thing about this game however is that the bottom of the screen is always instant death. It refuses to scroll downward unless you are already standing on some sort of a platform, meaning that simply jumping at the wrong moment could inadvertently cause things to scroll upward too far and leave you with nowhere to land. The moment that floor can't be seen, it ceases to exist:
https://i.imgur.com/f9Zuf0P.mp4

(There are the rarest of cases where the screen will scroll down if a solid platform is a couple of pixels off-screen, but I'm putting that down to some overscan-related thing or whatever the gently caress rather than any sort of competence from the devs.)

There is a bit more to the general gameplay, such as stomping on little bugs to get money, which is used to buy 'Scares' (read as: powerups). These 'Scares' function as the only way to defeat enemies, all the way from mooks to bosses. Except not all mooks are affected, just because. Speaking of bosses, they're not beaten by hitting them a certain number of times; instead you have to keep hitting them in order to knock them back into the right-side wall, at which point they explode. There is zero indication that this is how you win.

:wtc:

I would have recorded more to show off the absolute worst section in the game -- a top-down level which involves going around the house to find items to give to characters, complete with a brutal auto-scroller segment with blind dead-ends -- but that would have required me to put in some effort to reach that area (even with save states), and I really do not want to play this loving thing past the opening moments ever again after having gone through it in its entirety for RA. It was (and remains) a painful, miserable experience.

gently caress this game.

You got that right, rear end in a top hat.

Wintermutant posted:

You might be thinking of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory which was some standalone MP thing using a bunch of RtCW assets.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Wintermutant posted:

All I remember is the gondola sequence lifted straight out of Where Eagles Dare, which was rad AF.

e:

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

You might be thinking of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory which was some standalone MP thing using a bunch of RtCW assets.

RtCW had a pretty active multiplayer scene even before ET became a thing. I remember playing it a bunch but dropping off before the later took off.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 25, 2023

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
RtCW was one of my favorite PC games, that being said I haven't played it in years and can't get it to run on my computer machine these days.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Extra Large Marge posted:

RtCW was one of my favorite PC games, that being said I haven't played it in years and can't get it to run on my computer machine these days.

You are in luck! There are some very high quality ways to do that: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Return_to_Castle_Wolfenstein

Plus, if you happen to have a quest 2, there's a kick rear end VR conversion.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

shoeberto posted:

Did you play Enemy Territory? That was the standalone multiplayer game that was class based, and had missions with objectives. It was free.

RtCW was a single player campaign based game, ET was a canceled multiplayer-focused expansion that ended up being released as freeware.

That must be what I’m remembering, too. Multi was some odd the best times I’ve ever had gaming.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Good Lord this thread is a honeypot for terrible opinions

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Rtcw wasn't as good as No One Lives Forever (similar time, similar tone) but it was decent. The multiplayer of the original game had a bunch of asymmetrical objective focused modes and I remember playing it a decent amount.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

shoeberto posted:

Maybe I'm wrong cause it was almost a quarter century ago but I would have bet money that RtCW had a class based multiplayer mode. There was a free demo that only had one map iirc (a bunker on the beach I think) and me and my friends played the hell out of it.

Maybe they later spun it off as its own game by I'm like 90% sure it had a multiplayer component.

Or maybe I'm remembering the freeware one? But it only had one level and I distinctly remember it was a demo and that the full game either wasn't out or it was a standalone demo. But it only had one level, im pretty confident of that. Idk who knows. I'm prolly drunk anyway.

Edit: yeah Wikipedia confirms the original had a whole multiplayer mode, and it was far more popular than the base game, which is what I remember.

ET was a planned expansion-turned-full-game that was ultimately cancelled and the multiplayer portion was freewared. But yeah original RtCW had multiplayer and it was a hoot.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 30, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I had to uninstall Ryse: Son Of Rome. The game looks great but it's absolutely horrible to play. For an action-adventure game there's not a lot of adventuring going down one linear passageway after another.

The action is the big seller but it's a horrible janky mess. The boss battles that I encountered where just exploiting one of the mechanics and then wailing, rinse and repeat.

Some of the action sequences made no sense. There's one point where a full on retreat is in operation but, for some reason, you get on a cart with a ballista and are dragged slowly across a bridge while trying to take down a horde chasing you. Explosive barrels included.

I'm surprised that I managed to get as far as I did before throwing in the towel. This game is 10 years old now but it would have fit right in 20-25 years ago. I love the idea of the game but it's absolutely dire to play.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Vitamin Me posted:

Good Lord this thread is a honeypot for terrible opinions

People get confused which 1st page on GBS material bad video game thread this is

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Ryse: Son Of Rome

Jesus Christ; I completely memory holed this game. It occupies the same space in my brain as The Order: 1886

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
What if Contra but with Dinosaurs? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAwfqNOIiIo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

It probably plays like poo poo but it's looks cool as heck

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Bip Roberts posted:

It probably plays like poo poo but it's looks cool as heck

Less "plays like poo poo" and more "is really dull and repetitive" because they didn't put much effort into the level design or combat encounters.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Unperson_47 posted:

Jesus Christ; I completely memory holed this game. It occupies the same space in my brain as The Order: 1886

I was so let down by this game. I don't like shooters, but I was eager to give it a go because werewolves, Tesla, and London sounded like a really neat combo.

Well, the woodwork was lovely.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I had to uninstall Ryse: Son Of Rome. The game looks great but it's absolutely horrible to play. For an action-adventure game there's not a lot of adventuring going down one linear passageway after another.

The action is the big seller but it's a horrible janky mess. The boss battles that I encountered where just exploiting one of the mechanics and then wailing, rinse and repeat.

Some of the action sequences made no sense. There's one point where a full on retreat is in operation but, for some reason, you get on a cart with a ballista and are dragged slowly across a bridge while trying to take down a horde chasing you. Explosive barrels included.

I'm surprised that I managed to get as far as I did before throwing in the towel. This game is 10 years old now but it would have fit right in 20-25 years ago. I love the idea of the game but it's absolutely dire to play.

Oh yeah they thought that poo poo was gonna be the Xbox One's killer app. Don't you have to shout army commands into the Kinect or something?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I loved that old Crystal Dynamics 2.5D platformer Pandemonium back in the day. After playing the demo for 10+ hours I saved up my $3 a week allowance for months to buy it and it was extremely worth it. Then decades later I saw it was on the PSVita shop and thought it might be a fun nostalgia trip. Holy poo poo! It controlled so badly, there was like a full half second of latency on every one of your actions. I couldn't stand it long enough to make it past, I wanna say, the third level. Was it always that bad or was that just a poo poo port?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

Having played it in emulation not too terribly long ago, the latency was absolutely not that bad, so yeah I think they screwed up the Vita version, which is probably also emulation but of the quick and dirty kind.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Yeah Pandemonium! never controlled badly back in the day, though some of the level design was cheap & nasty at times.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Apparently the first Tomb Raider for the PS2 was a buggy mess. Way to screw up your only franchise's debut on the next gen Sony.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

You’re thinking of Angel of Darkness, and you were correct.

That said, TR Chronicles, aka the last PS1 TR game, was also incredibly buggy and an absolute chore to play.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Drinkslinger posted:

You’re thinking of Angel of Darkness, and you were correct.

That said, TR Chronicles, aka the last PS1 TR game, was also incredibly buggy and an absolute chore to play.

Wasn't that the one where they just chucked some recycled levels from the previous games together and called it a day?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Wasn't that the one where they just chucked some recycled levels from the previous games together and called it a day?

If I remember right, that was the one where they’d already jilled Lara Croft off in the previous game because they didn’t want to make any more, but because of the publisher’s demands it was either do it or be out of a job. So they made a lovely loveless game on purpose, and only made an effort on Lara’s death animations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Article on the original six games which is worth a read.

And yes, Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness is one unbelievable piece of poo poo.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Article on the original six games which is worth a read.

And yes, Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness is one unbelievable piece of poo poo.

Jesus the whiplash between “yeah I got divorced because I was working 24/7 and I never even saw my daughter :qq:” and “bro I got so much money it was worth losing years of my life”

Creature posted:

that was the one where they’d already jilled Lara Croft off

That was some creep-rear end fan-made hack though, wasn’t it?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

root beer posted:

That was some creep-rear end fan-made hack though, wasn’t it?

:crossarms: i should learn to proofread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Bogus Adventure posted:

The Cheeto Game

My grandmother bought this game for me and my little bro. Imagine the worst video game ever made. Now maybe turn the dial up one notch. It's not the worst, but it's pretty close. We did beat it. Here's a full run of the game if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQrZdf2OBZg

i like how someone meticulously programmed a mathrock jam for the cheeto snes game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQrZdf2OBZg&t=1255s