Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's a game about a mysterious hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
https://youtu.be/AUwFGori1LA

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

drat my Johnny Castaway screensaver never got to this part

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lol, the Barbarian game reminded me of this gem:

It ruled, and someone actually has a YouTube of it being played

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HKzBzJ4NOw

And, lol, does that music bring back memories

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I'm playing the Animal Crossing for 3ds and it kind of sucks? It's just pretty boring. But at least the guy says stuff like this:

Anyway thanks for that game and this thread , it's killing time for me here in this hospital.

I got that dumb game on Switch because people were hyping on about it and it looked cute but no one bothered to mention that it plays in loving real time so when they say "come back tomorrow" to do this thing, they don't mean go sleep in the bed to progress time and come back

They mean come back an actual day later... get hosed

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Wilkins Micawber posted:

I'm playing the Animal Crossing for 3ds and it kind of sucks? It's just pretty boring. But at least the guy says stuff like this:

Anyway thanks for that game and this thread , it's killing time for me here in this hospital.

Hope you're doing okay, and soon get back to having a "balls-out" time in the outside!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Animal crossing is like if you could make harvest moon more boring

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Bogus Adventure posted:

Hope you're doing okay, and soon get back to having a "balls-out" time in the outside!
Nah I'm doing ok. My partner is in, with some kind of mystery abscess. About to transfer to a third hospital, one with an IR unit. Ive spent almost 24 straight hrs sitting on floors and chairs but at least I have a blanket now. We might lose the house lol. And I have my 3ds, with better games. Balls-out!

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

drakkhen was cool and the ms-dos version looked a lot better

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Captain Blood and Commander Blood are sweet

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

dsf posted:

*extremely loud incorrect buzzer*

Anything over the age of 30 is inherently terrible.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They're not games, but i collect crap edutainment and multimedia software from the 90s on PC and Mac, I'll take some pictures

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I enjoyed watching this video about that game:

Great watch. I feel like playing it would not be so entertaining. I did like how it seems like you play an utter rear end in a top hat that no one likes, and who screws over anyone immediately who does him a favor.

They had to make the bad guys in the game really awful cos if not 100% you'd be the bad guy. Oh you also poison and almost kill a homeless guy just so you can still some change off them to make a phone call, because even though you are employed as a cop, you're so poo poo with your money you don't have enough money to make a call and all your co-workers hate you to much to loan you even pocket change

For bad games I'm going to say Tetris clones that came on cheap 500-1 handheld game console cheap! things in the 90's. where there would be like 100 versions of 5 different games. But yeah to be "different" the tetris clones would come with different shaped blocks which I'm sure a total of like one second was put into the new shapes.

Yeah, you can see why that could become an issue.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Most people should know the NES version of Dragon's Lair, but for some reason they made a different but equally unplayable & pointless version for the C64. I had this and I couldn't get past the first platform and it annoyed the crap outta me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXWsyXRMCQI

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Suddenly remembered another lovely PC game I had, Zorro:

It looked and sounded badass, but it was a frustrating as gently caress Prince of Persia ripoff. I could never get past the first stage, which was this dungeon:

This is basically the Zorro experience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrxDzh_nFWQ

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Nah I'm doing ok. My partner is in, with some kind of mystery abscess. About to transfer to a third hospital, one with an IR unit. Ive spent almost 24 straight hrs sitting on floors and chairs but at least I have a blanket now. We might lose the house lol. And I have my 3ds, with better games. Balls-out!

Yikes! Godspeed to both of you.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Bogus Adventure posted:

Suddenly remembered another lovely PC game I had, Zorro:

Had The Mask of Zorro game for Gameboy Color, it also sucked rear end!

Another poo poo game I had for the Gameboy was Ultima Ruins of Virtue. This game was the only thing I ever stole when I was a kid and all I have to say is what a waste of several anxiety attacks.

And the worst Gameboy title I played was probably the Powerpuff Girls games, just any one of them, they were all the same.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Mega Man for DOS.
Lemme just give you the highlights:

- Butt ugly graphics
- Game speed tied to CPU cycles so it doesn't work on anything faster than a 286
- Jump is bound to J and shoot is bound to Space with no way to reassign your keys
- Most enemies are way too fast and/or short for the buster to be effective against them
- Ear grating PC speaker noises
- Officially licensed by Capcom

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Commando Libya (there never was a Blizzard! Part II afaik) also was a very bad one I had. It was one of these terrible one-guy developer indie games that were never sold, just one of these mysterious things you'd find on swap diskettes and about as edgelord as it could get in 1986. It was basically like a very stripped down and awful static screen version of Operation Wolf where you turn libyans into pink mist with your turret gun, if they reach the other side of the screen or a barrel bomb hits you it's game over. The "bonus stage" in between levels was an execution of a bunch of POWs and the high score name entry was yet another execution game, this time with a guillotine, jfc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1AEtPR9ZU8

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

bossy lady posted:

Silent hill 4 is a terrible game. Idk why so many people defend it with hour long video essays on youtube.

Because you don't defend good games with hour long rants justifying all the flaws

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I used to own the 31-in-1 Famicom multicart, which came with an adapter to play it on the NES. It was pretty much the first game we owned because, hey, what a value, right? Also, literally nothing ever happens here in NB, so it's weird to have my province listed on a site like this. Anyway....

Well, a bunch of the games kinda sucked but not all of them.

The good:
- Super Mario Bros
- Mario Bros
- Donkey Kong
- Battle City
- Pac Man
- Pinball
- Lunar Ball
- Galaga
- Mappy
- Balloon Fight
- Excitebike

The middle:
- Tennis
- Ice Climber (Japanese version, I'm still not used to seeing the NA sprites)
- Popeye
- Road Fighter
- Sky Destroyer
- Galaxian
- Circus
- Yie Ar Kung Fu
- Karateka (though learning how to play this was bullshit)
- Star Force
- Urban Champion, I guess (I still loving hate it, but it was well made for what it was)

The bad/ugly
- Arabian
- Macross
- Zinja
- Urban
- Exerion
- Formation Z
- Wrestle (this is M.U.S.C.L.E.,and it sucks)
- Zippy Race
- Baseball
- Five Chess (might be better if I knew how to play it)

Anyway, the multicart is overall great, but :wtc: some of those games. Yeesh. Like, I wonder, do certain Japanese developers just make a nice tech demo and don't finish it? Some of these titles seem to go on forever, or repeat, and that's it. I don't think there's an 'ending' to Zinja, Exerion, Formation Z, or Arabian. They're just "here's a 5 minute experience that will continue until you shut it off".

I'm glad that type of game isn't really released commercially anymore.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Taz-Mania on the Game Gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OyyxFOVaYA

sluggish garbage platformer that is mostly on rails / autoscroller + trial and error, until later in the game where you get a tiny amount of freedom

absolutely torturous music that is ingrained in my brain for years now that you have to hear to believe

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Chuck Rock. Easily one of the worst platformers I've ever played. You're a trundling caveman dude in a game full of flying and projectile-hurling enemies, your main interaction is a gut-bump attack with a range of about 2 pixels, and the levels are the most basic walking-around-rectangles junk you can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcjjAYAl1kU

But somehow this absolute stinker sold well and got great reviews in a lot of publications.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

heard u like girls posted:

Taz-Mania on the Game Gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OyyxFOVaYA

sluggish garbage platformer that is mostly on rails / autoscroller + trial and error, until later in the game where you get a tiny amount of freedom

absolutely torturous music that is ingrained in my brain for years now that you have to hear to believe

I had the Taz game for SNES growing up which was like a driving game. You had to eat a certain amount of birds in each level. Taz handled like poo poo of course.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I actually liked the SNES version of Taz-Mania quite a bit, in spite of the sup-par controls. It was an interesting concept, anyway, more so than the generic platformer they made for the Genesis.

emSparkly posted:

Mega Man for DOS.

- Butt ugly graphics
- Game speed tied to CPU cycles so it doesn't work on anything faster than a 286
- Jump is bound to J and shoot is bound to Space with no way to reassign your keys
- Most enemies are way too fast and/or short for the buster to be effective against them

I got this for $10 at Sears. Our 386 was too slow for it at the time, so I could not get past the beginning pre-stage with the jumping dogs. We eventually upgraded to a 486, and it was too fast, so I could not get past the beginning pre-stage with the jumping dogs. I did get past them once, and the actual game afterwards was trash as hell. gently caress this game, I want my $10 back, even after 30 years

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

They're not games, but i collect crap edutainment and multimedia software from the 90s on PC and Mac, I'll take some pictures

Do you have Stowaway!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Do you have Stowaway!

Woah, now there's a blast from the past.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Sourdough Sam posted:

I had the Taz game for SNES growing up which was like a driving game. You had to eat a certain amount of birds in each level. Taz handled like poo poo of course.

But how was its music?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Everything \GAMES\WIN30\*.* is poo poo with the exception of some card and board games. The only reason anyone played them was because it was so unfathomable to imagine a video game in windows that you’d download it just in case.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Oh, here's a pretty terrible NES game: Captain Planet

gently caress this game. It was super frustrating. If anyone wants to see it played, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efxMbwL9z4I

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I used to own the 31-in-1 Famicom multicart, which came with an adapter to play it on the NES. It was pretty much the first game we owned because, hey, what a value, right? Also, literally nothing ever happens here in NB, so it's weird to have my province listed on a site like this. Anyway....

Oh man I enjoyed the tail end of the video store boom before Blockbuster arrived and homogenized everything. Felt like every grocery store, barber shop, etc rented video games and while they had the big titles sometimes a little store would have multi-carts and I didn’t realize until much later those weren’t official. Was also great when they’d have generous deals like dollar a day rentals to encourage taking a risk on an odd title.

When construction began on Blockbuster all the stores knew it was game over, but kid me got some ridiculous deals on liquidated inventory. For like $8 got Kickle Cubicle, Power Blade 2, and I think a sports game. Fun times.

Uh for thread content I did not enjoy Quest 64.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Tak of the power of juju is/was a poopy avalanche of semen, if nothing else than the fact the vast majority of the game is running around badly designed levels collecting 100 macguffins because the game told you to.

Also Gollum now looks like Tak for some reason

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

That first death is almost I-Wanna-Be-The-Guy-esque, lmao

edit: The whole thing is like that, lmfao

Animal-Mother fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 31, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bubsy bubsy BUBSY BOBCAAAAT
(what could pawssibly go wrong)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

That first death is almost I-Wanna-Be-The-Guy-esque, lmao

edit: The whole thing is like that, lmfao

Yeah. It is. It sucked. How anyone could call that a good Zorro game is just lmao.

Clown Suit Cowboy
Jun 27, 2023

Blue Footed Booby posted:

bubsy bubsy BUBSY BOBCAAAAT
(what could pawssibly go wrong)

I rented Bubsy the first day of my fourth vacation summer break. That voice is lodged in my brain forever.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I already posted this game in another thread, but Super Boy I (and by extension, Super Boy II since it's little more than a level swap) is a poo poo-tier clone of Super Mario Bros. for the SG-1000 (and not the Master System, as I originally thought).

The only good thing about it is the message you receive for clearing a castle stage:

Here it is in action:
https://i.imgur.com/GCuDD3N.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/4haaIL9.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/3etRcwG.mp4
Bowser isn't supposed to appear twice there, it's just that the game's a shoddily slapped-together hunk of poo poo.

Maybe I am cheating a bit with those examples, since the Super Boy games are all unofficial homebrew things. What isn't a homebrew game however is Golden Axe for the Master System (developed and published by Sega, obviously), and it's terrible in many, many ways.

Here's a (very) brief clip of the game in action:
https://i.imgur.com/YQYZFnh.mp4

I'll admit that I'm beyond utterly poo poo at this one, but to be fair to myself it's a horribly unresponsive game, and hit detection seemingly disables itself on a whim (or at least until an enemy wants to hit you). Of course everything moves around with the same jerky ugliness as the worst sort of stop-motion animation. The screen scrolling isn't smooth either. What an experience.

emSparkly posted:

Mega Man for DOS.

- Butt ugly graphics

And then all was set right with the PC-DOS release of Mega Man III.

Oh wait, no it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’m assuming whoever made the Super Boy games got sued into a soup-like homogenate by Nintendo?