Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I have starlink, its great if you have truely no other options (e.g. hughs net or dsl), but i wouldn't recommend it over cable. Make sure you have an unobstructed view of the sky wherever the diah is, you can download the app and use your camera to get an idea if you can use it, i think if you have a lot of trees in the way it wont work.

The old models used to have a built in ethernet port but you have to buy a special adapter now to get any sort of ethernet connection to/from the router. You can put the router into bridge mode to use an existing router if you want.

Its been fairly reliable for me and they could definitely stream 4k content on it, but its not so great for low latency stuff (e.g. online fps). Its fine for some other online gaming though.

You still have to get on a waitlist i think to order it and it depends where you are, but i also heard you can order the more expensive "roaming" setup and get it immediately, but ymmv.

I have dual providers, something else you could look into is seeing if any local providers do point to point stuff, thats not going to be as overall fast probably but 30-50 mbps and the latency and consistency will likely be better. Its usually something like a satellite dish pointed to the top of a mountain/hill where they have their infrastructure wired.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
No, its like 5-15 up