Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sid Vicious posted:

not a very accurate title lol

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
phinyl phanty

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
there's too drat many of them.

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.
I only barely played FF5, FF7 and I think FFXII. My first square rpg was Chrono Trigger and that game is so loving good that none of the FF have held my interest beyond seeing what the fuss is all about.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I think the two FF games on the SNES were the best ones and everything since has been meh

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

maybealabia posted:

I think the two FF games on the SNES were the best ones and everything since has been meh

there were three

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

there were three

You know I didn't mean "mystic quest"

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

maybealabia posted:

You know I didn't mean "mystic quest"

4, 5, 6

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
i tried to go back to play ff8 which was my favourite as a kid and the story and dialogue were so embarrassingly cringe i barely made it out to the first mission where you meet selphie or w/e. i was so upset lol. i never shjould have gone back to replay it. i also really liked 9 and especially liked the card game which i believe makes me a sicko

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

5 wasn’t released on the SNES in the US

Peachy Nietzsche
Jul 26, 2007

This thread's like staring into the void.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It was FF3 in the US.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

none of em released here until 7 but they still exist!!!!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Peachy Nietzsche posted:

It was FF3 in the US.

Yes but it wasn’t released on the SNES in the US

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

maybealabia posted:

I was referring back to maybealabias post, assuming they’re from the US

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i tried to go back to play ff8 which was my favourite as a kid and the story and dialogue were so embarrassingly cringe i barely made it out to the first mission where you meet selphie or w/e. i was so upset lol. i never shjould have gone back to replay it. i also really liked 9 and especially liked the card game which i believe makes me a sicko

I could relate to squall as an embarrassingly cringe teenager myself so I think they did a good job there at least

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
i also remember loving 10 and then when 10-2 came out that basically killed final fantasy for me. i guess people love 10-2 now but i only have negative memories of it. it seemed a very strange shift from 10 and also the sexy fan service was far too much for me even as a teenager. im looking on wikipedia right now and i guess i playd 12 and 13 as the plots and characters are ringing a bell but i don't think i came anywhere close to finishing them as they made 0 impact on my memory evidently.

anyway thanks for reading

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER

dsf posted:

I could relate to squall as an embarrassingly cringe teenager myself so I think they did a good job there at least

oh yeah. when i played it originally i was like 12 so it was perfect. when i tried again in my 20s it was brutal lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I stopped playing FF with the death of the ATB/turn based systems. Might cop FF16 at some point on sale

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im playing stranger in paradise final fantasy origin and its great

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Sid Vicious posted:

I actually liked that one more than 16.

16 was good but dragged on towards the end. Stranger of Paradise was just the right length for me.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Anime is bad

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

just unlocked the monk class and its fun ive been enjoying the pugilist so it's cool having more of that and also holy poo poo there's a third setnof jobs

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The real and final final fantasy will be the one they make just before soft-retiring the brand and focusing solely on crypto gacha games. It will undoubtedly be an unforgettable experience.

Peggy Edson posted:

I stopped playing FF with the death of the ATB/turn based systems. Might cop FF16 at some point on sale

Why 16 (since it's not turn-based)? Is it the dog?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Peggy Edson posted:

The further they got in action RPGs the less I vibed with them. Which is fine. I get wanting to evolve with the times. It's just kind of bummer watching my favorite series as a kid become something I distinctly dislike. What I wouldn't give for an FF style grand party based adventure with the battle system of Octopath Traveler.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Sid Vicious posted:

If I remember right, one of the characters in the game wears a copy of their own DNA chain as a fashion accessory which I believe is probably peak Final Fantasy ridiculous outfit design up to this point.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fun fact: the first three or so Final Fantasy games were mostly coded by Nasir Gebelli, a member of the deposed Iranian royal family who didn't speak a word of Japanese at the time.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don’t play them, i just wait for the manga

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Asterite34 posted:

Fun fact: the first three or so Final Fantasy games were mostly coded by Nasir Gebelli, a member of the deposed Iranian royal family who didn't speak a word of Japanese at the time.

Oh huh I had always wondered because "Programmed by Nasir" didn't strike me as a Japanese name

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasir_Gebelli

Dude must have been the driving programming force because everyone followed him back to CA when his work visa expired to finish FF3

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

itry posted:

Why 16 (since it's not turn-based)? Is it the dog?

I played the demo and had fun with it and like Action-RPG type games. The story seems cool but the battle system seemed very shallow and probably worth 40 hours of my time.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i also remember loving 10 and then when 10-2 came out that basically killed final fantasy for me. i guess people love 10-2 now but i only have negative memories of it. it seemed a very strange shift from 10 and also the sexy fan service was far too much for me even as a teenager. im looking on wikipedia right now and i guess i playd 12 and 13 as the plots and characters are ringing a bell but i don't think i came anywhere close to finishing them as they made 0 impact on my memory evidently.

anyway thanks for reading

10-2 is a weird one. The combat system is very good, but all of the writing is just SO BAD. I stopped like a quarter of the way through because I just couldn't deal with the awful dialogue anymore. I replayed 10 for the first time since the mid-2000s earlier this year and actually enjoyed the heck out of it. I didn't do all the endgame content stuff though, gently caress all that. Anyway found a copy of the HD remasters of 10 and 10-2 at a used games store and figured I'd give 10-2 a go and it was a mistake

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
nobuo uematsu is good

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Peggy Edson posted:

I played the demo and had fun with it and like Action-RPG type games. The story seems cool but the battle system seemed very shallow and probably worth 40 hours of my time.

Just enough time to complete the main plot thread then :hmmyes:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The games are loving stupid, they own

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I killed a flan on the moon

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Final Fantasy II, no one's favorite Final Fantasy

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
2 is the only one I beat

Guy speak beaver

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ted Woosley gets poo poo all over these days online but I think he did ok

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Konar posted:

You spoony goon!

The_Franz posted:

Then they made a movie by the same name and it almost destroyed the company.

Roger Ebert gave it 3.5/4 stars lol

The newest one (Kingsglaive) was a better movie than Oppenheimer. At least I could understand what they were saying.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I quite like the one with the lady pirate, and the one wherein the player has the opportunity to suplex a train that is also the vehicle that carries souls to the hereafter. the fighting in IV was a bit of a pain in the versions I played, but the goofy high-fantasy melodrama was a hoot.

Mystic Quest is deeply, inescapably flawed in a few different fundamental ways, but there were a few things I genuinely enjoyed about playing it:

-the soundtrack is never less than listenable, and a couple of tracks in particular loving rule

-every enemy, not just bosses, has >1 sprite, albeit they're mostly just "healthy" and "defeated". they're still a nice touch, and some of them are pretty charming

-I liked hopping everywhere :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Konar posted:

That’s dumb because those original translations own