Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1685869436816015360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I’d almost prefer if the SEC just kept letting rich idiots dump their money into obvious scams. Good way to redistribute some wealth.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Is there a Tl;Dr for why they are good with BitCoin and not the others? I thought they were all shady.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ASAPI posted:

Is there a Tl;Dr for why they are good with BitCoin and not the others? I thought they were all shady.

Supposedly it's because bitcoin isn't proof of stake.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also the value of all the other coins is based on Bitcoin, I thought.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Supposedly it's because bitcoin isn't proof of stake.

Is there a brief explanation of why that matters for those of us who have avoided learning any technical details about buttcoins?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is there a brief explanation of why that matters for those of us who have avoided learning any technical details about buttcoins?

Those are the two fundamentally different but stupid ways of determining how the loving bullshit tokens are produced.

There's a better explanation in this video if you've got two spare hours or so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ASAPI posted:

Bitcoin is a commodity not a security. For something to be a security it has to pass the howey test. The howey test has four parts.
1. investment of money
2. in a common enterprise
3. with the expectation of profit
4. from the work of others

Bitcoin doesn't fit these criteria as it was never something that solicited investments or promised returns. Etherium, on the other hand, from the start was a security.

Any coin that started with an ICO is a security because it passes all four wickets. Any staked coin or structure also is a security.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FYI - this happened more than a month ago and is what led up to the lawsuit against coinbase. Their CEO revealed this info early yesterday morning. That's why the community note is on the tweet.

I'll also note that there are a handful of cryptocoins that likewise are commodities. Generally, as long as they do not have a staked structure and did not start as an ICO, they're in a different bucket. I'll note that staking and ICOs aren't the only way crypto poo poo becomes a security, but those are the quickest and easiest examples.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Coasterphreak posted:

I’d almost prefer if the SEC just kept letting rich idiots dump their money into obvious scams. Good way to redistribute some wealth.

It's not like crypto leads to any kind of socially equitable redistribution of wealth, though. The money is flowing into the hands of the griftiest people in the world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

US Berder Patrol posted:

It's not like crypto leads to any kind of socially equitable redistribution of wealth, though. The money is flowing into the hands of the griftiest people in the world.

Seriously. There's a good chance that Sam Bankman Fried, while on house arrest, has pulled off another crypto scam with some rugpull.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

US Berder Patrol posted:

I never claimed socially equitable, I’m willing to settle for funny

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Coasterphreak posted:

I never claimed socially equitable, I’m willing to settle for funny

I told myself as I voted for Trump.

Twice.

I kid, who the gently caress votes?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Coasterphreak posted:

Its not the rich losing their money, its the idiot's in that middle class bracket losing it to the rich.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

M_Gargantua posted:

Its not the rich losing their money, its the idiot's in that middle class bracket losing it to the rich.

Well, yeah, but nobody ever wins the battle of “do your loving research”

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That guy from euphoria died too, at 25. Is this the worst year for dying since 2016

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

That guy from euphoria died too, at 25. Is this the worst year for dying since 2016

Hard disagree.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Today is a good day to die.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What's your pick then

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's your pick then

Late 2019 to late 2022.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/MattSeyler/status/1686443149143449600?t=-FUFxYvvrds-Ar3QkdVA0Q&s=19

"ok come get your fucko, jesus gently caress we're done with this idiot"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

beetle bailey-rear end POW

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/BlackKnight10k/status/1686132416174272512?t=80EMk2wffOsQtbctzBPr4w&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'll edit this if it turns into nothing, but the DC J6 Grand Jury meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For some reason, all the jurors have left for the day, except for the grand jury foreperson.

Possible that an indictment was just voted out, possible that the foreperson is just waiting for an Uber. Guess we'll see!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

I'll edit this if it turns into nothing, but the DC J6 Grand Jury meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays. For some reason, all the jurors have left for the day, except for the grand jury foreperson.

Possible that an indictment was just voted out, possible that the foreperson is just waiting for an Uber. Guess we'll see!

Voted out as in rejected or voted upon?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I hope my edible peaks when the indictment drops.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

Voted out as in rejected or voted upon?

Voted upon, as in indictment now exists and has left the grand jury. If the grand jury no billed and denied an indictment, by logic the foreperson wouldn't still be around the courthouse. If they indeed indicted, only the foreperson is needed to process the paperwork (theoretically). So likely approved the indictment.

But my usual non-talking head legal sources haven't really said anything yet, this is all related from TV lawyer sources, which are meh on good days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/shoe0nhead/status/1686409836718682112

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

finally some fresh commentary on capitalism

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yea, I'm not sure how long it took for jokes about 9/11 to start happening, but I'm fairly certain they where here by 2004.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
At least in GBS, maybe three or four hours after the second tower fell.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
what actually has to happen to keep trump from running for president, like does he have to be in prison or what? not looking forward to another round of 'but a dog can't play basketball'

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

what actually has to happen to keep trump from running for president, like does he have to be in prison or what? not looking forward to another round of 'but a dog can't play basketball'

If he gets convicted for January 6th charges that are interpreted as insurrection or rebellion, or having given aid and comfort thereof, he is not eligible. But that's it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Merry indictmas: the reckoning

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1686481710840487936?t=UMCsLjYUQxt7kKwazftbTQ&s=19

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
waiting to hear it on https://www.c-span.org/radio/ since it isn't live on that video yet

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

If he gets convicted for January 6th charges that are interpreted as insurrection or rebellion, or having given aid and comfort thereof, he is not eligible. But that's it.

Even if that were the case, and he were to win the election, what mechanism is in place to stop him? The only thing I can think of is Congress not certifying the results, and you know enough Dems would roll over in the name of :decorum: and say "ah well, it's the will of the people, nothing we can do" while voting to certify. The supreme court sure as poo poo isn't going to stop anything.

And that only applies to actually being appointed president, nothing short of the icy, Kissinger-free hand of death would stop him from running.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
given that dead people have legitimately won elections posthumously i'm unconvinced that even death would stop him

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Update: the sealed indictment is definitely for Donnie, possibly more. That's all we got at the moment.

Edit: indictments match the target letter, 4 counts
Edit2: six co-conspirators

https://twitter.com/mjs_DC/status/1686490787532480512?t=BFDaiqXuLpu-9f-3-KkJ7Q&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 1, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CNN says four counts.

E- six other people charged- CNN believes four are Eastman, Giuliani, Powell, and Jeffrey Clark.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Zamujasa posted:

given that dead people have legitimately won elections posthumously i'm unconvinced that even death would stop him

Fair enough, but at least it wouldn't be him, personally campaigning any more.

At least, I mean... oh god, I would hope not.