Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The $130k was already fined. New fines will be levied because of this (lawyers will have to submit the bill etc). He has to pay the old fines and new ones or face even more sanctions in the form of stripping his ability to present evidence or a defense to mitigate damages.

Not surprising to learn that Rudy is a terrible lawyer / has terrible lawyers representing him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

At what point does it cross over from a geriatric who refuses to give up power, to the aides or others committing elder abuse? Jeez.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Before you feel any sympathy just remember what an absolute irreconcilable rear end in a top hat this piece of poo poo has been.

I hope he's scared the whole time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arrath posted:

At what point does it cross over from a geriatric who refuses to give up power, to the aides or others committing elder abuse? Jeez.

Ask Feinstein and Thurmond. McConnell can get hosed tho.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

At this point it will soon be a Weekend at Bernies type thing.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ASAPI posted:

At this point it will soon be a Weekend at Bernies type thing.

"Just vote 'NO'."

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Midjack posted:

Ask Feinstein and Thurmond. McConnell can get hosed tho.

They all can, fuckin dinosaurs.

Do wish my dad had decked thurmond when he had the chance.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bird food bathtub posted:

Ah, so another completely ambiguous lone wolf killer whose agenda we will never understand and by the way he might be an antifa super soldier transgender fed plant really makes you think huh?

Yup. He sent a manifesto to the police department detailing his hatred of black people and admiration for apartheid South Africa, but these are obviously the ramblings of a madman and show no insight into his motives.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The trans private school shooter, on the other hand...

(Despite the fact that there was no "manifesto", only a collection of private writings. A manifesto is by definition published, released, or in some way disseminated to draw others to your political views.)

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Looks like ol' Mickey C got that look of terror in his eyes, wondering if this is it, if he's gonna stroke out and die on camera or if he's gonna be trapped inside his own body never to use language again.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

: (

Your senator ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're
just collecting some error info and then we'll restart for
you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

not caring here posted:

Looks like ol' Mickey C got that look of terror in his eyes, wondering if this is it, if he's gonna stroke out and die on camera or if he's gonna be trapped inside his own body never to use language again.

Inshallah

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

This really isn't a laughing matter. Turtles only do this when they're extremely distressed.

quote:

NYT still refused to use "racist" even with the swastikas on the gun and pro-rhodesia comments, plus how he originally tried to shoot up the nearby HBCU but got denied.

The NYT really is just incredible garbage these days.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There's definitely a surge going on right now. There's a new "variant of concern" called Eris that apparently has the potential for even more immune evasion than other Omicron variants, although it doesn't appear to be more virulent than its counterparts. That said, I know several people who never got COVID from 2020 onward who have gotten this one, so basically you have an infinitely more likely chance of successfully participating in the Eris world tour than you do the Eras tour.

I'll show myself out. :dadjoke:

Eris is boring. Pirola (BA.2.86) is the one to watch. It’s got a tremendous number of mutations in the spike protein.

Totally different set of puns though.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LOL "does anyone else have a question, please speak up" because the problem was definitely just that he couldn't hear the question.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Correct me if I’m wrong but once strokes start manifesting don’t they tend to reoccur with ever greater rapidity and severity until you’re dead?

Something about the ol’ brain tubes weakening

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but once strokes start manifesting don’t they tend to reoccur with ever greater rapidity and severity until you’re dead?

Depends. If something threw one clot, it's decently likely to throw more. If it's a hemorrhagic stroke from cerebral blood vessels turning to mush, same thing.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

My wife's grandfather had a pretty severe stroke about 10 years before he passed away, and then he routinely had mini strokes, and they basically reduced his brain to swiss cheese by the time he went. He basically had the mental capacity and demeanor of a 9 year old boy.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Soylent Pudding posted:

Hopefully it's a saving grace that so much of the Big Bend coast is still wetlands, mangroves, and swamps that can protect the more inhabited inland areas from the storm surge.

Also if it hits Tally and drops a big rear end oak tree on the governor's mansion my rear end will be at every single high holy days service in a few weeks.

Somebody has some church to attend:

https://twitter.com/FLVoiceNews/status/1696928506909786613?t=xxGg9NJ0Hvaa_XJdewfq-A&s=19

Unless you'd like to go double or nothing and wish some ill on another Florida republican.

facialimpediment posted:

McConnell malfunctioned again:

https://twitter.com/HannahPThomas/status/1696936240040321474?t=QdKoAjOEmI372GbpN8IBGQ&s=19

NYT still refused to use "racist" even with the swastikas on the gun and pro-rhodesia comments, plus how he originally tried to shoot up the nearby HBCU but got denied.

I shouldn't laugh at this, but that little grin he gets as if to say "I done pooped myself".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 30, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'll laugh for you, then, I hope every waking moment of Mitch's life is spent in agony. gently caress that rear end in a top hat for everything he's done.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tiny Timbs posted:

The problem that McConnel is trapped in is that he was most likely on blood thinners like 6 months a year ago or whatever when he fell and had a "minor" incident that meant for some strange reason he spent months in the hospital not talking to anyone at all. Well being crypt keeper old + prone to falling + blood thinners = really bad poo poo with one wrong step. However, going off those blood thinners while having ever more frequent mini-strokes after a fall event is also really bad poo poo.

There's no good solution and the evil fucker is gonna pop his clogs pretty soon I'd say. I have my bottle of mead lined up to crack open in celebration already.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zamujasa posted:

I'll laugh for you, then, I hope every waking moment of Mitch's life is spent in agony. gently caress that rear end in a top hat for everything he's done.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Zamujasa posted:

I guess there's only the faintest hint of sympathy because my dad had one of those "I can only get four words out before things turn to gibberish" TIAs in March 2022.

But yes, gently caress Foghorn Leghorn.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Mitch McConnell very, very likely doesn’t even have the capacity to make his own medical decisions any longer. I guarantee it. And he’s a loving senator.

The lack of moral courage on the right is just astounding to me. I really feel like there was a turning point after Jan 6th when for a split second nearly every republican was rallying around condemning and even hopping on the impeachment of Trump. Then Fox News, lobbyists, and Lindsey Graham convinced them they’d never recover from damning their own president, even though they knew it was the right thing to do. Hell, wasn’t there even back room recordings of this? When they made the decision to flip, and keep supporting him… I feel like they all lost every ounce of moral courage right then and there. And they knew it. They can’t exercise an ounce of it, even now, when Mitch McConnell should absolutely be forced to retire. Pre-Trump, Mitch would have been out of office after his first whiteout. Now they won’t, can’t, lift a finger to do the right thing.

There are two types of republicans in Congress now. There are the performance actors like Boebert who are loud as hell, and all the rest who are dead silent about everything, won’t even comment on all the Trump indictments. One group never had moral courage to begin with, but the other is shucked into silence by the shame from losing it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh yeah that was when their moral convictions left them, sure

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The only moral compass the GOP has is "gently caress everyone not us".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Honestly I think the last shred of it was McCain voting no.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Lol at the notion that J.6 was a turning point. Republican have been morally bankrupt my entire lifetime. They basically abandoned any pretention towards good governance with the moral majority poo poo in the 1980s

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody has some church to attend:

https://twitter.com/FLVoiceNews/status/1696928506909786613?t=xxGg9NJ0Hvaa_XJdewfq-A&s=19

Unless you'd like to go double or nothing and wish some ill on another Florida republican.

I shouldn't laugh at this, but that little grin he gets as if to say "I done pooped myself".

Well, guess I should have specified the aim a bit more precisely. Is it too late for a double or nothing on Idalia looping back to Mar-a-largo?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

Lol at the notion that J.6 was a turning point. Republican have been morally bankrupt my entire lifetime. They basically abandoned any pretention towards good governance with the moral majority poo poo in the 1980s

I have to think it was throwing in with Nixon that really turned them from the party of Ward Cleaver to the party of Eddie Haskell.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
The Republican party became who they were starting with Grant's cabinet and solidified with allowing Reconstruction to end. TR and Eisenhower were anomalies.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

A.o.D. posted:

The Republican party became who they were starting with Grant's cabinet and solidified with allowing Reconstruction to end. TR and Eisenhower were anomalies.

I'm not sure you can assign the Republican party all of the blame for the compromise of 1877

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The "100 fetuses in my basement" lady from a long while back and her 4 friends just got convicted of blockading a DC clinic back in 2020. What makes things post-worthy besides that is what happened at the conviction:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...89-726e319edf6d

quote:

In a move that caught defense attorneys off-guard, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly ordered all five defendants remanded into custody while they await sentencing because they had been convicted of a crime of violence. Kollar-Kotelly cited a federal statute that says judges “shall order” defendants convicted of serious felony crimes of violence held after conviction unless they believe they have a substantial likelihood of winning a motion for acquittal or a new trial or the government recommends a sentence without prison time.

Although a clinic employee suffered an ankle injury when members of the anti-abortion group forced their way into the clinic, none of the defendants was charged with assault or causing injury. However, the FACE Act requires jurors to decide whether the offense was “exclusively a nonviolent physical obstruction” or involved the use of force. The jury decided as part of its verdict Tuesday that the conspiracy to blockade the Surgi-Clinic was not exclusively nonviolent.

So on a technicality, these chucklefucks went right to the slammer with no getting affairs in order. And if you even feel slightly bad, note that these fuckers love to invade clinics and she's had 30 and 45 day sentences before from states for similar chucklefucklery. I allow myself to have some giggles for when technicalities every now and then turn out beneficial.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

The "100 fetuses in my basement" lady from a long while back and her 4 friends just got convicted of blockading a DC clinic back in 2020. What makes things post-worthy besides that is what happened at the conviction:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/...89-726e319edf6d

So on a technicality, these chucklefucks went right to the slammer with no getting affairs in order. And if you even feel slightly bad, note that these fuckers love to invade clinics and she's had 30 and 45 day sentences before from states for similar chucklefucklery. I allow myself to have some giggles for when technicalities every now and then turn out beneficial.

lmao fukkin rekt

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

I'm not sure you can assign the Republican party all of the blame for the compromise of 1877

You're right. They deserve credit for all the effort they put into restoring rights after that event.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That was the point that the entire world watched it on display live at the Capitol.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I mean, I know the GOP has been morally bankrupt for a long while, but the days after January 6th were rock bottom. It made my head spin. Immediately after the riots even Mitch was on the Senate floor condemning trump, nearly every single one of them (except the circus performer crew) was. Not even 24hrs later they had all collectively flipped to defending trump and supporting the idea of a stolen election. All for 30% of their base who were rabid with brain worms.

I'm sure they imagined if they didn't support trump they'd lose the midterms. Funny how they basically did anyway. And they're now hitched to having a convicted felon as a candidate in a general election, they stand to lose a hell of a lot harder.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Blind Rasputin posted:

All for 30% of their base who were rabid with brain worms.

I've always thought it's closer to 60-70% (and 30% of the country), which makes the rest fall into place. Donnie's thing is that he served up the straight-up, unmasked racism and white grievance that was always winked at and nudged at by his predecessors. And a lot of those senators correctly assume that the remainder of their base is at least brainworm-curious.

Once the current crop of old Republican senators retire, hoo boy their replacements are going to be chuddy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
probably depends a bit about where you draw the line between republicans in general and the whole white grievance bigotry poo poo, but die-hard trump supporters iirc represent ~30-40% of the gop. trump's death grip over the party is because he causes a ton of people to turn out who otherwise do not show up for elections and otherwise the often slender margins the gop is working with just don't really math out with those people staying home. even for those that hate trump, they're basically in a deal with the devil for short-medium term continued political relevance. post 1/6 you could see that there was some genuine appetite to get rid of trump, but also the understanding rapidly spread that the gop without trump supporters isn't really a nationally viable party (at least not before some significant realignment that would effectively trade the most insane trump wing for more appeal to the center/independents, except that the gop in 2023 is even farther from than they were in 2020) and so willingness to do anything about trump evaporated as they hoped that maybe someone would pull a magic solution out of the hat before the situation blows up on them. At the moment it does not appear that they've found a solution beyond hoping that one of the prosecutions will succeed. it's a hell of a clusterfuck

to be clear btw, I'm not suggesting that is some 'the end of the republican party' thing, because so long as there are 100,000,000 conservatives or w/e in this country there will be a party representing them that will continue to be relevant