Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FrozenVent posted:

I’ll believe #6 when I see it, there’s a fuckload of political consultants in DC.

I am only going total pessimist vibe on any of this coming to a conclusion. I think I just kinda have to to be able to not have my head wrapped around this poo poo 24/7 like a lot of us were 2-3 years ago. I don't want to waste headspace like that again it just eats at you.

I would love to have good news all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bird food bathtub posted:

I dunno what people expected after the Borat movie. Homey wasn't "adjusting his shirt". It was exactly what it looked like, and Guliani is exactly what he looked like.

I was thinkin the same thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wrong Theory posted:

That's because it's M. Bison :bisonyes:

Lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Pfft, plenty of things kill 100% of tumors yes I'm intentionally ignoring the "no side effects" qualifier shut up

Weren't we also supposed to be getting a cure for the common cold thanks to MRNA vaccines? Come on, it's been a couple of years now, chop chop.

It's a tiny bit outside my field but I know a decent bit on these. The cancer drug stuff is exciting, but lots of things fail during or after phase 1 trials, so it's got a ways to go. Nice to know that something promising is out there again though. For mRNA vaccines they are loving awesome and super useful for a lot of reasons but the way that cold viruses mutate makes it a much more diverse / rapidly moving target to develop a suitable vaccine from based on all that I know at present. So, basically a cold vaccine would probably not be very effective for too long. A proper virologist can probably tell me if I am wrong but I am modestly confident that rhinovirus (cold virus) is not a great use case for the mRNA vaccines.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

orange juche posted:

The paper describes basically a holy grail cancer drug, they found a molecule that is able to selectively interrupt reproduction of cancer cells across a broad list of cancers, and can cause lethal damage to those cancers via interrupting that process. Normal cells don't interact with the cancer drug, only tumors, so no observed toxicity or side effects in normal cells, since they literally give no fucks about the molecule.

It's neat but until it gets to wider human trials it's mostly theory. Animal models can't simulate all possible interactions of human biology with a drug.

Yeah, cant recall off the top of my head but I think I recall something else like this popping up before and went into phase 1 and never heard about it again. Could be getting confused.

I am optimistic, but there's a long road from here to functional therapeutic.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-66421422

The big benefit of brexit, you see, is that you can just dump sewage directly into the water

:itwaspoo:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Hell yeah lets commit some fraud/negligence in order to maybe kill some people.

Wasnt this the last World Cup motto?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

holy loving gently caress that was good commentary

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Also makes one wonder how much longer / more bitter a postwar occupation period would have been if US soldiers had spent a year or two fighting on the mainland. Without the bombs I imagine you would have had a real mess of some places capitulating and others needing to be effectively killed down to the last person resisting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, the book Embracing Defeat is a fascinating look at postwar Japan and the occupation. Definitely worth your time to learn stuff like:

-Japan had so little concern for their men that they weren’t sure where hundreds of thousands of them were at the end of the war, so they didn’t have a fun time getting home.

-Japanese had to rely on the black market for basic nutrition, one guy tried to only eat his legal allotment & promptly starved.

-for an ultra conservative nation their constitution is surprisingly progressive giving legal equality between men and women, as an Austrian-American Jewish woman Beate Sirota Gordon was on the drafting committee and made sure that got in.

-fascinating info on some die hards who had thought the Emperor was divine doing their own research & realizing how stupid and wasteful the war was.

Thanks for the rec, sounds like something I'd enjoy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sexual Lorax posted:

figure things will either turn out so that this exists in history as something to be mocked for generations and to salt the fields of the memory of prageru and the rest of the war on intelligence slash post factual society

or

they win and we learn to love step and fetch it frederick douglass

PragerU started as stupid fringe online alt-right poo poo and is now being shown in public schools in the midst of one of the largest teacher shortages in my own living memory. Bit worried about this being mocked instead of taken seriously.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Pretty sure we heard about the "That’s why there’s an Insurrection Act." bit like a week or two ago though, and this is just another piece of someone reacting to that statement.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shot

Chaser

(well another shot actually)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

“They deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

I've always been upfront about being extremely uptight. The people that tell me that to my face have always been dog whistling alcoholics so I feel pretty good about myself.

Lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wondering if the nonstop legal bills will have a serious impact. Does he have three different teams for the three cases? I know an evil billionaire donor could pay them but hoping it slows down his ads or ground game or whatever.

He likely has an endless pool of money to grift from I reckon

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ASAPI posted:

I'm surprised I haven't heard of any protests/demonstrations following the indictment announcement. Weren't they setting up barricades and what not in anticipation of that?

One of them got themselves smoked by feds last week

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://x.com/jimmweber/status/1691439314326933505?s=46&t=SkW94bDM2QmmLP6FBxgJMw

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I see dudes at my gym built like brick shithouses watching Demon Slayer on their phone on the stairmaster.

Don't doxx me

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/alanfeuer/status/1692356512864219385?s=20

:toot:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You can't smoke weed and keep security clearances either but hey he's still launching for the gov so I presume his never got revoked.

Point being, he's rich and twitter is still big and the rules are not for everyone.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Elviscat posted:

They did pull his clearance for that, and forced organizational changes within SpaceX that put Shotwell in charge of anything sensitive, firewalling lonnie's dumbshit rear end out, he might have it back by now?

Pulling clearances for pot use is dumb as poo poo anyway.

I thought the view "X" showed me of that stupid tweet was pretty funny, it displayed this for about a minute until it freaked out because I have Lonnie blocked and showed a random tweet.

Thanks. Him losing his clearance was news to me.

I think losing it over weed is stupid also but would have been even dumber if selectively applied.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1692842951750103414?s=46&t=SkW94bDM2QmmLP6FBxgJMw

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Too symmetrical

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Trump dying when his plane crashes into the north Atlantic on his way to flee to Russia because he was as cheap with maintenance as he is with everything else would be goddamn hilarious.

Gonna be years of Captain America memes if that happens.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Why didn't they schedule it four days later?

That's when Rudy's check will bounce.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

My old employer freaked out when they learned that 4 regional managers were riding together on a customer's lovely plane. Real brain genius move if they (voluntarily) put all of Wagner's leadership on a small plane, together, over Russia, right after publicly mutinying.

voluntarily

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arrath posted:

Prigo got on, but went to the shitter while it was taxi'ing, citing being airsick, then jumped out of the landing gear well into some convenient wetlands.

:dudsmile:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Discussion Quorum posted:

It's a load-bearing parenthetical

Lol totally

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ASAPI posted:

Why is Chesebro doing this? Is he trying to screw over Trump? Is to save in legal fees?

Free campaign coverage / airtime just like Trump got from the press in 2015/16?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Still kind of blows me away you can buy cops to do random bullshit jobs

But that's their whole existence

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Shalhavet posted:

It's not even the real one :allears:

It's not?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ASAPI posted:

If my Aunt is an indicator, there is a large faction that lives there because they "like the politics".

Every single, right leaning dissatisfied, older white person, I have met in Rhode Island Pines for moving to Florida one of these days and it’s their most frequent threat. Any time the state looks sideways at some tax policy.

It’s pretty common for snowbirds here to have a house down there as well and some of the people that do that have come in and noted that they aren’t getting good medical care in Florida and have to come back to New England for that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pseudosavior posted:

Moved down here because we were in a bind, and my wife's family lived down here and had yet to go full chud.
Now, we haven't spoken to them in years, and we can't afford to move because our rent keeps rising every year while our apartment complex gets passed around from LLC to LLC like a joint at a Phish concert.

5 different companies have owned my apartment complex since I moved in 3 years ago. If that isn't a bad omen, I'm not sure what is.

Edit: the number of New Yorkers who go on and on about NYC being the greatest city in the world, yet they have lived in Tampa for ~20 years is astounding.

That sucks. I hope y’all can get out of there sometime soon.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Blame the ((bankers)) is the next step.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TX national guard getting into it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-national-guard-disbanded-intelligence-100000960.html

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-national-guard-member-allegedly-233803621.html

Running a weird illegal intel operation and also shooting a mexican from across the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

I'll laugh for you, then, I hope every waking moment of Mitch's life is spent in agony. gently caress that rear end in a top hat for everything he's done.