Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wasn't there also a coup attempt against the emperor to prevent the surrender that was thwarted in part by the blackout for another American bombing raid? I vaguely remember something like that from undergrad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's less that I want to see billionaires dead and more that I want to see an end to the economic, cultural, social, and ecological devastation they capriciously commit. I also feel that our political, social, and economic systems are designed to enable, not oppose, them such that there is little practice chance of anything mattering. As a result the only "plausible" path I see for someone like Elon to stop destroying society and the planet is for him get himself killed in a celebrity death match or rocket failure or mauled by a cyborg monkey.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

facialimpediment posted:

Check out how big of an idiot she was:

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1692031669279035894?t=ImskklbCavsMV-JM-M8rgw&s=19

HELLO MISTER FBI, OF COURSE I'M NOT GOING TO [REDACTED] THE JUDGE, I'D RATHER [REDACTED] A SITTING CONGRESSWOMAN

Usually you're supposed to follow the formula of "I'm not a murderer, I'm a bank robber!" Guilty of lesser thing B, not guilty of greater thing A. This woman was following the formula ABABABAB

It's a minor quibble and not directed at you specifically, but I love how many people automatically say FBI when the screenshot text specifically says DHS.

Coasterphreak posted:

Friendly reminder to everyone between Texas and DC: it’s the time of year where hurricanes get lovely, so make sure you’ve got your go bag ready.

My understanding from binging meteorology YouTube is that we so far have been super lucky. The boiling Atlantic is primed to supercharge any storm that manages to form, but the El Nino jetstream fuckery that's caused the heat domes is also generating enough wind shear to disrupt Atlantic storm formation. But if a storm system manages to kick off during a window of low wind shear it could get catastrophic fast.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This map shoes a landfall in Mexico, not in California, lol.

I guess if you want to count Baja California as also California.

The cone represents the 2/3rds most likely possible hurricane eye paths. So this does show a decent chance of the eye making landfall in California.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Discussion Quorum posted:

modern x86 architecture features went directly against God's will.

Having done x86 reverse engineering I can attend that this isn't wrong.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I think there is a big difference between "can a typical 757 make the trip?" and "can a 757 maintained on a Trump budget make the trip?"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Nice! posted:

A lot of people will demand a speedy trial. He's doing it strategically because he doesn't think they could try him fast enough and hoping for dismissal on those grounds. As long as they start jury selection by the end of the year, this will fail. I have no doubt that Willis will start jury selection well within the timeline for all defendants. She's done it other RICO cases. One case right now has had jury selection ongoing for 8 months due to the number of defendants. I don't think it's going to take quite that long here, but it will still be a lengthy process.

In criminal law there aren't very many things that mandate immediate appeal. Most of the appellate work is post-conviction. This is true of interlocutory appeals in Georgia, as well. There isn't really much the defendants can do to slow things down if the prosecution wants to move forward.

I've been texting friends who've done crim law in Georgia and they seem to think this is absolutely a bet that the Fulton DA bit off more than they can chew and forcing them to go fast will cause them to make mistakes or force a dismissal. Though their opinions vary on how good of a bet it is to take.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Still kind of blows me away you can buy cops to do random bullshit jobs

Offer only valid if you're rich or white enough.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Platystemon posted:

There’s a hurricane brewing in the Gulf of Mexico.

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1696090973372358812

I was watching the weather last night and the meteorologist said Idalia was forecast to be a cat 1 or cat 2. Then he said essentially "none of the models really show this right now, but it it keeps moving so slowly there's a chance the unprecedented heat in the gulf could get us to cat 4 or 5".

e: There is also a storm in the Atlantic that will hit cat 4. I won't come anywhere close to landfall but it will likely cause dangerous waves and swells along the east coast up through NC. So if you have a beach vacation planned be careful about that.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Nice! posted:

As of the 7 am update, it's going to be a major hurricane at landfall, so, yeah, gonna strengthen a lot. It's already a hurricane and hasn't passed Cuba yet. Tampa Bay is going to be on the windward side or a direct recipient of an eyewall. So much for the republican plan to fix our homeowners insurance rates by avoiding a major hurricane for a few years.

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at. Going to bed with 'cat 1, maybe cat 2" as the official forecast and then waking up and seeing a major hurricane was some whiplash even though I was warned to be prepared for it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

pseudosavior posted:

Moved down here because we were in a bind, and my wife's family lived down here and had yet to go full chud.
Now, we haven't spoken to them in years, and we can't afford to move because our rent keeps rising every year while our apartment complex gets passed around from LLC to LLC like a joint at a Phish concert.

5 different companies have owned my apartment complex since I moved in 3 years ago. If that isn't a bad omen, I'm not sure what is.

Edit: the number of New Yorkers who go on and on about NYC being the greatest city in the world, yet they have lived in Tampa for ~20 years is astounding.

The Florida economy is hosed. Turns out the same economic policies that ostensibly exist to keep cost of living attractive to retirees gently caress over everyone who has not already saved up enough money to move to Florida. Likewise so much of Florida's economy is just low wage service and agriculture jobs. If you don't already have money it can be very hard to make enough money to leave Florida.

In grad school in Florida, I worked for a program that did K-12 STEM outreach. One of the legislature's stated aims was to keep more students graduating with IT and CS degrees in state. "But we have no income tax" they scream, despite the cost of living adjusted salaries being well below national average. Also a lot of the students I worked with in that program were minorities or queer and ultimately their motivation for studying computers was the realization they could get a job out of Florida.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

They could defray expenses by using it as the set of a reality TV show where they make a bunch of fresh out of school techbros and a bunch of Air Force E-2s live together in the planned city and film the results.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Hopefully it's a saving grace that so much of the Big Bend coast is still wetlands, mangroves, and swamps that can protect the more inhabited inland areas from the storm surge.

Also if it hits Tally and drops a big rear end oak tree on the governor's mansion my rear end will be at every single high holy days service in a few weeks.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm flying in part to visit family this weekend. I would absolutely have gotten a booster if it was available. As is I rescheduled so that visiting my elderly grandma is the first thing I do on this trip instead of the last. Don't want to pick up covid and give it to her before I even have a chance to develop symptoms and know not to see her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Somebody has some church to attend:

https://twitter.com/FLVoiceNews/status/1696928506909786613?t=xxGg9NJ0Hvaa_XJdewfq-A&s=19

Unless you'd like to go double or nothing and wish some ill on another Florida republican.

I shouldn't laugh at this, but that little grin he gets as if to say "I done pooped myself".

Well, guess I should have specified the aim a bit more precisely. Is it too late for a double or nothing on Idalia looping back to Mar-a-largo?