Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Could Judge Cannon show their rear end so much that they get themselves charged with obstruction?

Judicial immunity is pretty absolute, there’d have to be some sort of very explicit bribe to pierce it. The intended way to remove a rogue federal judge is impeachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

If operation downfall would have happened, everyone's grandfathers would have been on those boats.

Not true, my grandfather would’ve been flying a glider

I think that would’ve been worse…

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-for an ultra conservative nation their constitution is surprisingly progressive giving legal equality between men and women, as an Austrian-American Jewish woman Beate Sirota Gordon was on the drafting committee and made sure that got in.

The MacArthur Shogunate would’ve been invaded as a communist nation if anyone in Washington was paying attention.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I can’t seem to find the original losethos (templeos’s original name) thread in yospos. He showed up, some people tried teaching some fundamentals of x86 system programming before he just started posting stuff from his speaking in tongues thing gif’d above and was perma’d when it got incredibly racist.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jimmy Smuts posted:

What's the deal with the MS-DOS style GUI? This dude sounds like a programming version of the timecube dude.

That’s a fair description. The DOS stuff is because he was treating modern x86-64 CPUs as if it was 1980 and using BIOS VESA calls only (VBE). I assume he must’ve gotten the cpu out of real mode but I’m not certain.

For those that aren’t computer systems people this is like kinda like never taking a car out of first. Except first is a crawler gear, so maybe really it’s more like only using the starter

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

IIRC it’s randomly picking from words in the Bible. He thought it was some kind of oracle that could be studied or something? He explained it in the original YOSPOS thread, it’s all pretty wild.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

Thread was actually gassed not goldmined, here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3434374

There was an earlier thread that was from someone else saying “wtf is this weird thing” and he showed up a few pages in. I think someone did blindly buy them an account but I’m not certain. IIRC he created that thread (I think he might’ve even spammed them?) after that initial thread was locked.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yes! It’s a very fun thread and probably should’ve been goldmined. It starts with a “tour” of the OS (almost like a let’s play) and then gets wilder.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This is a little more specific on what she did and how local schools are responding:

https://x.com/hamptonahnna/status/1693082208452464656?s=46&t=TBi_iSImUmzjTxXAKsMEHw

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, but with the logarithmic scale isn't a 5.1 2x more powerful than a 5? And a 6.7 700x stronger than a 5?

In addition the moment magnitude/richter scale only measures the amount of energy released by the earthquake, not the shaking felt at the surface which is measured separately on the mercalli intensity scale.

Basically this means a shallower earthquake can “bat above” its moment magnitude rating. (Terrain and composition matters too) For example that 2014 La Habra earthquake occurred directly under a built up area and had an area of peak intensity of VII which is usually associated earthquakes quakes around 6.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

stealie72 posted:

Can confirm. Have ridden a 757 in 3x3 domestic configuration from Cleveland to Gatwick. Will never do that again.

RIP Continental.

Anyway, he does actually have an issue here if we just go by the nominal range of 3900nm for a 757, it can just make FLL-LHR.

The great circle distance for FLL-SVO would be 5707nm direct and there are a lot of issues with that route. EWR-SVO is “only” 4670nm.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=FLL-SVO%0D%0AEWR-SVO&R=3900nm%40FLL&MS=wls&DU=mi&E=120&EV=389&EU=kts

Im sure a lightly loaded VIP 757 could be configured for such a distance but Trump is cheap and hasn’t needed auxiliary tanks for anything. He bought it from Paul Allen though, he might’ve opted for that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

How much does all the luxury crap he almost certainly piled into the thing affect its range?

There’s zero chance it weighs more than 200 people in economy

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Didn’t it just go through a D check? If whoever did that just paid for approval as if it was a sketchy emissions shop that would be completely insane.

Not saying it’s impossible, nothing with Trump is, it’s just absurdly unlikely.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I'm pretty sure that the US doesn't pay for ex presidents to have motorcades, so that's all coming out of his campaign/grift fund to show everyone what a big important man Trump is.

Isn’t that up to the determination of the secret service?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Don’t they have an exceptional safety record by helicopter standards?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Also they cannot do autorotation as a crash recovery method as far as I am aware.

I think autorotation would only be only be applicable in phases of flight that would be “red” on a helicopter too?

You have to glide. I found this article:

quote:

The glide ratio of the Osprey is about 4.5 to 1 and the rate of descent while windmilling is about 3,500 feet a minute at 170 KCAS. Landing speeds vary with aircraft weight, but a middle-of-the-envelope speed is 130 KCAS. Unfortunately, the proprotors will definitely impact the ground, and converting the nacelles is not recommended. A safety design feature of the proprotors, however, is for them to broomstraw and throw the resulting fibers away from the fuselage to minimize damage to the occupants. Unfortunately, this characteristic has been tested in accidents; fortunately, it works as advertised.

4.5:1 incidentally is the space shuttle orbiter’s subsonic glide ratio.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ded posted:

the shuttle didn't glide as much as fall not quite at terminal velocity

Since we’re talking about helicopters…

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arrath posted:

My girlfriend speaks highly of having a pass back when she lived in the LA area and went to Disneyland at least once a month.

I just can't wrap my head around wanting to go stand in crowds and lines that often. Sure I had fun when I went to Disneyland, but I was in 3rd grade.

The point to having a pass is that you can pop in for 30 minutes at weird times like near closing when there are no lines.

Naturally Disney had to get rid of that type of thing so passes don’t work like that anymore

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah I listen to comedy podcasts based in LA & sounds like it used to be fairly common to have an annual pass maybe a decade ago as it got used enough to be a decent value, especially for single young people living nearby who can get there during off peak months. Seems like the prices/lines are up enough it’s not as popular now among that crowd.

Prices are up but more importantly you can no longer just show up with an annual pass. You have to book entry in advance and only on “non peak days”, and only if too many other pass holders haven’t already signed up. That means that you can’t, for example, just have a dinner date at one of the nice themed restaurants and maybe catch one of the parades without planning potentially months in advance.

Just look at the best way they can pitch it on their marketing: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

GFS is not built to model tropical storms.

This leads it to produce scenarios that are interesting but not likely.

I like the ones where GFS seems to hit some kind of 0 and spits out a central pressure of like 870mb

edit: I think that’s always the mesoscale models, GFS still does fun stuff with hurricanes that are vaguely plausible.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 28, 2023

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GFS has more entertaining outliers. Euro usually does better with hurricane tracks. Intensity is still pretty imprecise.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

TX national guard getting into it.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-national-guard-disbanded-intelligence-100000960.html

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-national-guard-member-allegedly-233803621.html

Running a weird illegal intel operation and also shooting a mexican from across the border.

quote:

Also Saturday evening, a man on the Mexican side said he heard gunshots and was struck in the leg near the Bridge of the Americas.

The man told reporters in Juarez, Mexico, that border agents shot him from the U.S. side.

Border Patrol agents fired upon from Mexico

Border Report contacted U.S. Border Patrol officials in El Paso, who said the incident involved the Texas National Guard and referred any inquiries to the Texas National Guard and the Texas Department of Public Safety

Somebody tell Abbott that to instigate war with Mexico you need to patrol areas that are claimed by Mexico and then when you take casualties use that as the casus belli.

…on second thought, don’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I didn't know I couldn't do that officer

I’m sometimes reminded of a time in the middle of a college campus I was walking past a motorcycle cop that had pulled over someone using a power assisted bicycle of some sort. I just heard the cop saying “you.. can’t go 45 in the bike lane” with a cadence that I can only describe as the midpoint of bafflement, anger and impressed.