Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

That Works posted:

Thanks for the rec, sounds like something I'd enjoy.

...lesser known info re: Operation Downfall....After the Hiroshima bombing and the absence of an immediate response from Japan, Tibbets had submitted a request for an additional 15 or 16 bombs directly to Truman. The request was approved prior to receiving Emp. Hirohito' s capitulation after the Nagasaki bombing, which had exhausted the supply of bombs on hand. The zinger was that radiation poisoning was not yet well understood. Had those additional bombs been used prior to or in support of the invasion, the one-million plus invasion force would have been exposed to potentially lethal doses of radiation along with the Japanese population. Hirohito called it quits when he realized that continued resistance would ultimately result in the extinction of the Japanese culture. His decision, while not universally popular with his countrymen, was fortunate for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

M_Gargantua posted:

Ok you had me up until there. Long term nuclear fallout is bad, but rarely lethal. Would have been a lot more 1970's cancer deaths though.

Fair enough...the jist of the comment was that the effects of radiation were not yet well understood. Thanks.

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I love the bull's expression, he's just like "so what, what's the big deal?"
And the LICE seems to be intentional, since the rear of the car says the same thing.

...someone swiped enuf letters to make "Po-Po" ?