Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ASAPI posted:

Is there a Tl;Dr for why they are good with BitCoin and not the others? I thought they were all shady.

Bitcoin is a commodity not a security. For something to be a security it has to pass the howey test. The howey test has four parts.
1. investment of money
2. in a common enterprise
3. with the expectation of profit
4. from the work of others

Bitcoin doesn't fit these criteria as it was never something that solicited investments or promised returns. Etherium, on the other hand, from the start was a security.

Any coin that started with an ICO is a security because it passes all four wickets. Any staked coin or structure also is a security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FYI - this happened more than a month ago and is what led up to the lawsuit against coinbase. Their CEO revealed this info early yesterday morning. That's why the community note is on the tweet.

I'll also note that there are a handful of cryptocoins that likewise are commodities. Generally, as long as they do not have a staked structure and did not start as an ICO, they're in a different bucket. I'll note that staking and ICOs aren't the only way crypto poo poo becomes a security, but those are the quickest and easiest examples.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

US Berder Patrol posted:

It's not like crypto leads to any kind of socially equitable redistribution of wealth, though. The money is flowing into the hands of the griftiest people in the world.

Seriously. There's a good chance that Sam Bankman Fried, while on house arrest, has pulled off another crypto scam with some rugpull.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149.1.0_1.pdf

There's the indictment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'll note that the four charges there are not charges that would prevent him from running for president. He could win in a prison cell. Likely any sentence he receives will be stayed until the election, though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've identified a few co-conspirators.

#1 is Rudy
#2 is John Eastman
#3 is Sidney Powell
#4 is Jeffrey Clark

I'm not sure who #5 and #6 are just yet, but that could be trivially figured out.

Also here comes Jack Smith.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah it was literally a security guard on the job asking them to move their party boats away from the designated parking spot for the tour boat. The first guy he asked almost immediately starts a fight and a bunch of his buddies/family run in. A massive swell of people show up in defense of the security guard including people swimming across from other piers and boats. The memes have been incredible.

All of the jackasses that started the fight by jumping the security guard were arrested. I'm not sure how many of the people that beat the dog poo poo out them were charged, but the post above indicates the chairman was. I don't think anyone else in the retaliatory group was arrested, and I'm honestly not sure they should be given the circumstances.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Government and Trump's lawyers filed their joint statement about dates/times for a hearing on the protective order. Judge told them to pick a time wed-fri for the hearing. Trump's people asked for next week saying they want both lawyers to be there, they have split availability on Thurs. where one or the other can be there, said nothing about Wednesday, and said Friday was "lost" without further explanation. The government said they're ready at the judge's convenience. Hearing is now scheduled Friday 10:00 am.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It was definitely more than tweets. It would have also included DMs, fleets, and deleted yet retained content.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Trump is, predictably, not happy.

e: also Fani Willis will seek more than a dozen indictments next week when she presents to the grand jury re: trump's poo poo in Georgia.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 9, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LaVoy Jr., ladies and gentlemen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Torrannor posted:

She might also be scared by the smack-down she received from the superior courts after the special master debacle.

Cannon isn't scared of poo poo and she's going to be as capricious as gently caress throughout the document trial.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

David Weiss has been appointed Special Counsel in his continuing investigation into Hunter Biden according to a presser just now by Merrick Garland.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sam Bankman-Fried's bail just got revoked as there is probable cause that he has twice tampered with witnesses and has otherwise violated the court's orders using VPNs and such allegedly to watch football.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nick Soapdish posted:

Like soccer football or football football because getting your bail revoked to watch a pre-season NFL game would be the most pathetic thing ever

It was an NFL playoff game last year. He was using VPNs to circumvent court rules and tamper with poo poo and his excuse was he was doing it so he could use his bahamas gamepass to watch the nationally televised playoff games. The judge kindof scoffed at the excuse, but regardless of veracity the excuse admits violation of the court's orders. The felony tampering with a witness probable cause is much more severe and will probably result in additional criminal charges.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

Here's your advance-read of what the Georgia charges are going to be against Donnie, as apparently the court hosed up a seal somewhere:

https://twitter.com/jackqueen_/status/1691138841086668833?t=yU9dciGDGQeIeWNaePay0g&s=19

The clerk screwed up and accidentally put that on the public docket for the day. Those charges have not been voted on by the grand jury yet, and won't be until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest as they are still getting witness testimony through at least tomorrow morning.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah I saw that Duncan got called in early, and I think Trump's truthing this morning has more to do with it than the clerk's snafu. Trump was calling out Duncan by name trying to influence him ahead of grand jury testimony.

e:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the names announced on cnn pardon my spelling:

trump
rudy
eastman
meadows
cheeseboro
jeff clarke
jenna ellis
ray smith
robert chele
mike roman
david james schaffer

e: there are 8 others

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

the others are:
shawn micah treasure
steven lee
harrison floyd
treveyon cuty
sidney powell
kathleen latham
scott hall
missy hampton

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

full doc:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23909543-23sc188947-criminal-indictment

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There are 30 unindicted co-conspirators.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That is not a typo. 3-0. Thirty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A.o.D. posted:

Is that coincidentally the number of people who flipped?

That's why I said 30 people flipped in another place, myself. They didn't indict those others for a reason.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mike Flynn might be unindicted co-conspirator 20.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The former president and 18 friends have arrest warrants in Fulton county, Georgia, and the sheriff is processing them through the county jail in the exact same manner as any other arrested individual.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

US Berder Patrol posted:

is that the jail where they let a guy basically starve/get eaten by bugs/suffer unmedicated thru psychosis until his death

should be an interesting place for ol Trumpy Bear

That could describe countless county jails in this country.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crab Dad posted:

Who the hell is this sheriff who cares more about the law than the good ol boy system? I’m utterly amazed.

Southern sheriffs see themselves as gods, and they might as well be. County sheriffs are usually empowered directly by their constitution, and they run their counties.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Someone is mad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Coasterphreak posted:

I woke up and was having a bad day.

My day is no longer bad. Even… good?

Yeah a lot of poo poo hit the fan last night.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Reminder that more than 1,000 people have been charged re: Jan. 6th.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've been following the docket for Meadows removal. The court issued an order saying that Meadows' notice of removal was facially valid (ie meets the procedural requirements) and has temporarily exerted jurisdiction over him. They're going to have an evidentiary hearing to determine if Meadows was acting within the scope of his office, in which case he's immune to prosecution.

Here's the order:

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.gand.319225/gov.uscourts.gand.319225.6.0_1.pdf

Willis has until the 23rd to respond to the notice of removal, and then they'll all sit down with the judge and argue whether or not his actions went beyond chief of staff actions.

I'll also note that Meadows may still have to turn himself in and be booked in Fulton county, but he cannot be convicted until the federal judge rules on the matter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

drat she fine. Hopin that she'll sock it to me one more time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MA-Horus posted:

Uh did the Russians just schwack Prigozhin?

His private jet got shot down.

Yup, and I saw rumors it was specifically Russian air defense that shot them down.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

Terry Funk died today. Not only was he a wrestler that made it to 79, but he had a full retirement from the ring... seven years ago at 72.

https://twitter.com/BunkiePerkins/status/1694446401344684184?t=BXEVhWf4NG3GL-nfbv0Pkg&s=19

I flew next to him on a plane once as he lived outside of Canyon, TX and I lived in Amarillo at the time. Great guy and friendly as gently caress.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If y'all didn't see, Mark Meadows got told to gently caress off by the federal court and to turn himself in as well. The hearing on his removal will be Monday.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In related news, the state of Georgia filed their response to Meadows' attempt at removal to federal court. Right out the gate they challenge Meadows' claim that his actions were under the color of his office. Meadows himself in his own filings said his actions were 100% political activity and protected first amendment speech. This is Meadows' admitting that his actions violated the Hatch Act, meaning that none of these actions were under the color of office.

Meadows himself flippantly once said, as well, that "no one outside of the beltway really cares about the Hatch Act."

They could have left it at that, but then went deep to explain that even if the Hatch Act didn't exist, none of the work was within the color of his office because none of the work was within the color of Trump's office. The sitting president has zero interest in the presidential election by design. The president is necessarily and constitutionally/statutorily siloed off from the administration of the presidential election because they are often a candidate for the election.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oct. 23 would be the start date for jury selection most likely with trial to commence immediately after.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ASAPI posted:

Why is Chesebro doing this? Is he trying to screw over Trump? Is to save in legal fees?

A lot of people will demand a speedy trial. He's doing it strategically because he doesn't think they could try him fast enough and hoping for dismissal on those grounds. As long as they start jury selection by the end of the year, this will fail. I have no doubt that Willis will start jury selection well within the timeline for all defendants. She's done it other RICO cases. One case right now has had jury selection ongoing for 8 months due to the number of defendants. I don't think it's going to take quite that long here, but it will still be a lengthy process.

In criminal law there aren't very many things that mandate immediate appeal. Most of the appellate work is post-conviction. This is true of interlocutory appeals in Georgia, as well. There isn't really much the defendants can do to slow things down if the prosecution wants to move forward.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1694790853741453551?t=yHnvQBHG2yag07sztPH7HQ&s=19

I believe Donnie's the last one in about four hours, though maybe Clark still needs his face time. I wonder how long it will take Trump HQ to start squiggling rat whiskers on this one.

As of yesterday I thought only nine people had surrendered. There's still a few out there besides just Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soylent Pudding posted:

I've been texting friends who've done crim law in Georgia and they seem to think this is absolutely a bet that the Fulton DA bit off more than they can chew and forcing them to go fast will cause them to make mistakes or force a dismissal. Though their opinions vary on how good of a bet it is to take.

It's definitely ambitious, but this is Fani's 13th RICO case as a DA. We'll see how it shakes out.

Trump has filed an opposition to Willis' trial schedule request, and says he's going to file a motion to sever from Cheesebro or anyone demanding a speedy trial.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 24, 2023