Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Today is a good day to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Someone should tweet to the offended parties "It's not about you." in a way they'd understand.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

She's paid her debt for a victimless crime she didn't even commit. She started Theranos with the best of intentions and it's a shame that things didnt work out the way she intended them. Besides, keeping her incarcerated is just preventing her from auditioning as the lead Vocalist of Type O Negative.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

Germany was a major weapons dealer to the Republic of China at the time. Lots of photos of chinese soldiers with stahlhelms and other german equipment from the era

Pretty sure Kai Shek’s son went to military academy in germany, I remember seeing a photo of him in a german uniform

My understanding is that nearly all of the support, and all of the official support of the KMT vanished with the formal alliance between Germany and Japan. It was seriously curtailed a few years earlier with the formation of the Anti-Comintern pact in 1936, which the KMT refused to participate in due to a) not wanting to piss off the Soviets and b) not willing to sit at a negotiating table with Japan while they were occupying Chinese territory. Even so, there were still some Germans with significant business and social ties to China, such as John Rabe.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

We should treat that as a truthful statement of intent.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mr. is a perfectly appropriate way to address the president by all current style guides.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

He looks like he's about to start dancing in front of a Six Flags bus.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Happy 30-50 Feral Hogs Day to those who celebrate.

Is the joke that he was lying?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fivemarks posted:

The Ukraine war, and the attitude of the Russian Public, has very much soured me on the concept of and hardened my hart against the idea of "No the average person are just victims of the government, they probably don't support the war."

It wasn't true in WW1 for essentially anyone. It wasn't true in WW2, sure as gently caress not for the Japanese or Germans (Maybe Italians, loving SCOREBOARD Mussolini). It wasn't true in ZImbabwe when the White Colonialist State there got BTFO'd.

The Italians were definitely tired of Benito's poo poo well before Italy's capitulation. Hell, even his own party, the Fascists, were done with the project. Only the intervention of the Nazis and a few die hards keeps him in power as a puppet ruler.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Why the gently caress would you test the water outside the swim area?

You do that because you know the swim area will fail, so you roll the dice with an area you think will pass.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That makes sense. On another note is there a possibility if he gets stupid enough to directly threaten the DC judge that he’ll be locked up for contempt pending trial? Would guess that’s possible for any defendant but he has a ridiculously long leash but there must be a limit.

If there's a next step it'll probably be a social media ban. As you said, he has a ridiculously long leash, and it will take either repeated violations or overt violence to get to the punitive custody step.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

stealie72 posted:

And like so many people in the US, my grandpa was on one of those boats heading toward Japan, so I'm never going to be impartial about the nukes. Maybe in another generation.
If operation downfall would have happened, everyone's grandfathers would have been on those boats.

If the War Department didn't believe their estimates, we wouldn't be issuing old Purple Hearts today.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sounds more like an E-1 to me! :dadjoke:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

IIRC we finally ran out of 1945 Purple Hearts in the early 2000s.

NEVERTHELESS

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

No, their larger point is absolutely right. It takes some doing to wrap your head around the fact that the atomic bombs might've in fact been the least bad way to force Japan to surrender because we've got 80 years' worth of nuclear terror coloring our understanding of the bombings.

That was indeed the point I was making.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Yes, I agree. It was.

It's so nice when we can get together and agree on something!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I have my beliefs on the bomb, but I don't feel qualified to try and sort the morality of it in the moments, if that makes sense.

The best I can do is say that it was a very bad thing that may have been in the service of a good thing, but then again, perhaps not.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Not sure about the claim but aren’t Occupy Democrats considered unreliable?

They end basically every tweet with "Retweet if you agree!". I know that doesn't make them particularly unreliable, but it does make them very unlikable to me.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm shocked Elon actually came through with the Tweets

Just like most of the other rich poo poo birds, their first loyalty is to themselves. They're not true believers like the MyPillow guy.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Without context they almost come across as ironic shitposts.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Maybe. If the PLA is approved in September, FDA and CDC can work fast enough from there, but in an interview with the CDC director earlier this month,

:smugdon: CHY-na

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

How do you say poo poo like that and not be embarrassed? I mean, I know he either actually believes it (he doesn't) or he has no shame(it's this) but still. HOW?! Is the the natural end product of a lifetime of debasement?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The past is far behind us, the future doesn't exist.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Tag yourself in the indictment. I'm count 8: Impersonating a Public Officer.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

That is not a typo. 3-0. Thirty.

Is that coincidentally the number of people who flipped?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

joat mon posted:

What will that get him? Stall for a couple months?

Delaying, whataboutisms, and ad hominems are the sum total of this defensive playbook.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Why does she have to have a face like a Disney villainess tho?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Disney villainesses have "twisted elegance."
She's more like a Roald Dahl villain, just overtly grotesque. I can picture her and Stephen Miller as a wicked couple in a Roald Dahl story, just straight up eating babies.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SquirrelyPSU posted:

SoCal got a 5.0 earthquake.

Isn't that an at least yearly occurrence in that region?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Platystemon posted:

They’re not quite that common, but not that far off.

1994’s Northridge earthquake at 6.7 was a big deal. It killed sixty-one people and caused twenty billion dollars in damages.

2014’s La Habra at 5.1 is a “what?”. It killed no one and did only ten million in damage.

Yeah, but with the logarithmic scale isn't a 5.1 2x more powerful than a 5? And a 6.7 700x stronger than a 5?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MrMojok posted:

4s and 5s happen, but what you feel of course depends on how close it is to you.

There was a 7.something several years ago 250 miles away or so from us, and the house didn’t shake so much as gently rolled like we were on the ocean. Made the chandeliers swing but nothing fell off the walls.

The biggest one I ever felt was only a 4.2, but the epicenter was only about four miles away from my house.

We live near a small airport, the Van Nuys airport. When that one started, my first, immediate thought was that a small plane had crashed into the house or right next to the house. The shaking and the noise was that loud.

Within a couple of seconds I knew what it was, and it was thankfully very short.

I have to confess, before the one today I was already a little concerned about what dumping huge amounts of water onto fault lines might do. But I don’t really know enough about that to guess.

All I can say is, we don’t need any more hurriquake action here right now.

It lubricates them!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

Schokakola is pretty good as a ration btw.
It comes in a metal container without much wasted space, so it doesn't get broken apart in your backpack.

Just… don't eat the whole thing at once.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/scho-ka-kola-100-g-tin-box-10-pack/70844 If you buy them by the individual tin it's 3.99 USD, which aint bad for domestic chocolate, much less an imported product. Varusteleka's shipping rates aren't terrible, either.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Trump dying when his plane crashes into the north Atlantic on his way to flee to Russia because he was as cheap with maintenance as he is with everything else would be goddamn hilarious.

If such a thing were to happen, I might start believing in a bunch of crazy things, like justice, the magic of a child's smile, and that maybe everything will be all right.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Leave posted:

I honestly never thought I'd find out, thank you.

Now, can you explain why that one woman is smiling in her mugshot?

It's one less opportunity for your opposition to pair a hangdog photo of you with a negative headline.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Seriously, it's just good advice for everyone. Do your best to look like you're having a good time in your mugshot. Those photos are public records and ANYONE can use them against you.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

"peaceful" is Trumpspeak for "in Minecraft".

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Help I keep being threatened with a good time.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Trump's motorcade to the airport has a like 20 car motorcade complete with ambulance and paddywagon, and it's obnoxiously showy.

I'm pretty sure that the US doesn't pay for ex presidents to have motorcades, so that's all coming out of his campaign/grift fund to show everyone what a big important man Trump is.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn’t that up to the determination of the secret service?

Possibly, but wouldn't they have to get the funding and logistical support for a full on presidential motorcade? Besides, this didn't happen for Trump's federal arraignments.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lol that's every cop available pulling a paid detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

That's just his default "I am a serious and important person" face. His first Chain of Command photo had the exact same expression until he had it changed with his fake smile photo.