Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

drat, I was really hoping it was Ginni Thomas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Debating whether or not Trump actually intended to disrupt the peaceful transfer of power by inciting his lunatic followers into storming the Capitol is soooooo January 7 2021, let’s focus on the latest potential hoax: whether a zoo in China has been putting people in sun bear costumes

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1686844554593566731?s=46

Personally I think something looks really weird about that standing bear and I wish the DC zoo had sun bears because I’d go there and do a photographic investigation of my own. If they are people in bear costumes, then WHERE are the bears? Knocking over trash cans on OUR American streets? I dunno but I think we need another couple of hundred billion in the defense budget until we figure it out.

Nah, sun bears are just freaky like that.

https://bunjywunjy.tumblr.com/post/636782465167622144/do-you-know-why-sun-bears-look-soweird-compared

Basically Ma Nature built an anteater out of bear parts, and that's the mess that came out.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Elviscat posted:

My paternal "Grandpa" transfered off of Arizona just before Pearl Harbor, and was a merchant mariner in the pacific theater. My actual Grandpa was building planes for Boeing and banging my Grandma on the side. I inherited "Grandpa's" Navy memorabilia from the War, as the only other Navy sailor in the family.

Maternal Grandpa was drafted in after he graduated college, and was busy building the Bomb at Oak Ridge, as an engineer. So my one Grandpa may have well saved the other.

The Merchant Marines had a higher casualty rate per capita than any actual military branch during the war, so your not-Grandpa didn't exactly skate out of harm's way. At least a Navy ship has a chance to shoot back effectively. I'm not sure where I'd have rather been, given the choice between the two.

E: Mom's dad was a navigator instructor in Kansas teaching Navy pilots not to get lost flying PB4Y-2 Privateers. Dad's dad was barely old enough to go to boot camp in a "go to war or go to jail" deal* when the war was ending, but spent time in the occupation of Japan in '46. He almost certainly would have been cannon fodder during an invasion.

* At his wake, an old friend from his youth showed up unexpectedly to pay his respects. When he found out Grandpa had been a deacon at his church, he was heard to say "Curly, a deacon? Hell, I'd have thought if Curly ever stepped inside a church it'd fall down around his ears!" Clearly there were some stories that Grandpa had kept close to the vest.

E2: Okay, I do have to add that Grandpa actually got thrown out of the Army for marrying an Army nurse without permission. Grandpa was enlisted as gently caress.

E3: That nurse was not my grandmother.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 7, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Soul Dentist posted:

I have maybe surprising news about the fate of the USS Arizona

I meant Merchant Marine vs Navy in general, but I can see how that was unclear in my post.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Spoggerific posted:

That isn't to say that all of Japan completely denies or refuses to address Japanese warcrimes, though. I have seen history shows on TV that address things like soldiers urging civilians to commit suicide on Okinawa, and there's a general awareness that Japan did some Bad Things to women in Korea, partially thanks to Korea (rightfully) constantly demanding an apology that hasn't properly come.

I will say that from my limited discussions about the war with Okinawans when I was there, they certainly haven't forgotten. They don't like the US troops being there either, mind - but for the most part they're very polite about it.

Really the general wish is that everybody would leave them the hell alone for once.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

That Works posted:

Shot

Chaser

(well another shot actually)

Double tap.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Platystemon posted:

They should duel for the keys to each other’s media platform.

The techbro equivalent of racing for pink slips?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Thoughts & prayers.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm just picturing Jenna Ellis sobbing, wine-drunk, Tweeting, while belting out Jesus Take The Wheel at the top of her lungs and it's even funnier.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gat drat. Takei is a little too "Resistance Liberal" but he knows how to hit.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

hobbesmaster posted:

RIP Continental.

Anyway, he does actually have an issue here if we just go by the nominal range of 3900nm for a 757, it can just make FLL-LHR.

The great circle distance for FLL-SVO would be 5707nm direct and there are a lot of issues with that route. EWR-SVO is “only” 4670nm.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=FLL-SVO%0D%0AEWR-SVO&R=3900nm%40FLL&MS=wls&DU=mi&E=120&EV=389&EU=kts

Im sure a lightly loaded VIP 757 could be configured for such a distance but Trump hasn’t needed auxiliary tanks for anything, but he bought it from Paul Allen who might’ve opted for that.

How much does all the luxury crap he almost certainly piled into the thing affect its range?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wrong Theory posted:

Joe the plumber dead.

Zeke the plumber continues his reign of terror unabated.

Ah yes, Samuel "Joe the Plumber" Wurzelbacher, who was neither named Joe nor a plumber. One wonders if he was ever even a "the".

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ASAPI posted:

At this point it will soon be a Weekend at Bernies type thing.

"Just vote 'NO'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The trans private school shooter, on the other hand...

(Despite the fact that there was no "manifesto", only a collection of private writings. A manifesto is by definition published, released, or in some way disseminated to draw others to your political views.)