Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many of this month's B-league main eventers do you recognize without googling?
This poll is closed.
Logan Storley 16 9.20%
Brennan Ward 17 9.77%
Chingiz Allazov 13 7.47%
Marat Grigorian 7 4.02%
Bubba Jenkins 21 12.07%
Jesus Pinedo 4 2.30%
Renan Ferreira 7 4.02%
Maurice Greene 24 13.79%
Clay Collard 22 12.64%
Shane Burgos 43 24.71%
Total: 46 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

drat it's almost like they're going to blow this out of proportion to pass over Merab for a title shot!

Just to keep this complete, the question was "What is the likelyhood that it would be Merab? I know that there is some controversy about him not wanting to fight, he wants Aljo to have the rematch, what's your idea for that?"

I dunno how much truth there is to that premise but if there is some, seems like Merab has some part in passing himself over for a title shot, which is unfortunate. It made sense when Aljo was champ, but it makes way less sense now, particularly as Aljo was talking so much about moving to 145 after that last fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The UFC basically wants Merab to do their job for them. They have been incredibly hesitant to push him, they were already mad at him over the "I won't fight Aljo" thing, and O'Malley had barely gotten the belt over his shoulder before they were spinning the marketing wheels talking about O'Malley vs Chito 2 while completely ignoring Merab.

They want Merab to self-promote and make himself valuable without having to actually invest in him as a company because they don't like him or his style, and by refusing to self-promote they also get to do their favorite chestnut, the "this guy just doesn't want to fight" bullshit, because that lets them invalidate their own #1 contender in favor of people they actually think are worth the return on investment.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Brut posted:

particularly as Aljo was talking so much about moving to 145 after that last fight.

Did he confirm that? I only remember him saying he had to rethink things in the post fight interview.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

just want to thank Carl for yet another excellent writeup

I read them all and they are appreciated

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/29/23850343/dmca-takedown-nfl-nba-ufc-uspto-letter-streams

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

CarlCX posted:

They want Merab to self-promote and make himself valuable without having to actually invest in him as a company because they don't like him or his style, and by refusing to self-promote they also get to do their favorite chestnut, the "this guy just doesn't want to fight" bullshit, because that lets them invalidate their own #1 contender in favor of people they actually think are worth the return on investment.

It's definitely the UFCs responsibility to promote fighters so their business is better, but if you just got done with Aljo being disliked by a reasonable percentage of your fanbase would you really want to throw the dice on somebody as one dimensional as O'Malley beating a reasonably complete fighter with a penchant for fitching?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

LobsterMobster posted:

I am not allowed to express my opinion on the new ownership group of PFL out of fear of retribution by the regime

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1696829559679914281?t=i4gP08dsI46xItRtIXx6rg&s=19

i'm convinced Endeavor has read years of posts from this thread saying "yeah Dana and the Fertittas suck but compared to Bob Arum, Don King, literal Yakuza, Dutch organized crime, etc., a couple of Italian guys from Vegas with mob ties are somehow the best promoters in combat sports". and now they are having increasing difficulty keeping that dynamic as Dana keeps being more and more of an idiot.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i'm convinced Endeavor has read years of posts from this thread saying "yeah Dana and the Fertittas suck but compared to Bob Arum, Don King, literal Yakuza, Dutch organized crime, etc., a couple of Italian guys from Vegas with mob ties are somehow the best promoters in combat sports". and now they are having increasing difficulty keeping that dynamic as Dana keeps being more and more of an idiot.

As far as we know Dana has never used a hack saw as a negotiation tactic so....

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No one has seen Joe Silva since he went into the UFC consulate and "resigned"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The UFC put out a terrible YT short of TKZ's walk out of the cage, in that stupid vertical format so he's not even in frame for part of the critical moment.
It does stay on the main camera longer, but that even takes away from the magic of people singing Zombie in the stands.

and despite all that, it has the most views of the recent wave of shorts except for Anthony Smith standing over Ryan Spann.
The popular tab of shorts is mostly Power Slap.

I uploaded my streamable copy to YT; dunno how long this'll last.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZsRT1D6Em0

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Watching that beautiful video again (thanks kimbo!), it didn't strike me till the very end when they start talking again that the commentators very smartly shut the gently caress up and just let the moment speak for itself.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Watching that beautiful video again (thanks kimbo!), it didn't strike me till the very end when they start talking again that the commentators very smartly shut the gently caress up and just let the moment speak for itself.

I feel like Rogan and Felder had pushed off, leaving Fitzgerald by himself. And all the better for him to exercise judgment alone, for sure.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I feel like Rogan and Felder had pushed off, leaving Fitzgerald by himself. And all the better for him to exercise judgment alone, for sure.

Rogan was oddly quiet that whole night.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/mmajunkie/status/1696950057864671717?s=46&t=F8fBUDDzqgbJB8tAhoXOCg

Getting dumber everyday

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
What’s cokefiend mcgregor saying now

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

kimbo305 posted:

The UFC put out a terrible YT short of TKZ's walk out of the cage, in that stupid vertical format so he's not even in frame for part of the critical moment.
It does stay on the main camera longer, but that even takes away from the magic of people singing Zombie in the stands.

and despite all that, it has the most views of the recent wave of shorts except for Anthony Smith standing over Ryan Spann.

I can't offhand think of a moment that special that's happened in MMA.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

This feels like that NFL punt block/touchdown that the New Orleans Saints got on their division rivals the Atlanta Falcons in the opening minutes of their very first home game in 2006 after hurricane katrina had ravaged the city, gutted entire communities, killed and displaced many, many people and took out their stadium. Very powerful moment, the commentator said later he knew in the moment to shut the gently caress up and let it breathe. If this interested you, there's a lot that's been written about on this moment. Lots of comments from ppl saying they cried their eyes out when this happened. I really love stuff like this.

https://youtu.be/MIGgBhNtOP4

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 31, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol, I didn't know Scott Fujita did the Chinese martial arts salute to celebrate tackles

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
UFC/MMA September: Zombie Forever

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

UFC/MMA September: Zombie Forever

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Oh, yeah. There's a reason I did not even ask this month.

Also Brandon Royval says the UFC's tapped him for Pantoja's next fight, which, if it happens after January, will be the first flyweight championship fight to not feature Figueiredo or Moreno in five years.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Lol, I didn't know Scott Fujita did the Chinese martial arts salute to celebrate tackles

mike-goldberg-bruce-lee-tombstone.jpg

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I always assumed large companies would film on professional cameras and then pan and scan into the desire aspect ratio for different devices, until I noticed the UFC just literally has an employee pointing her iphone at people

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CarlCX posted:

Oh, yeah. There's a reason I did not even ask this month.

Also Brandon Royval says the UFC's tapped him for Pantoja's next fight, which, if it happens after January, will be the first flyweight championship fight to not feature Figueiredo or Moreno in five years.

Finally it will be the year of the Raw Dawg.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
ONE fight's in 25 minutes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzK9ZXx5oZs

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Go watch Nontakit Tor. Morsi vs River Daz if you can. Crazy fun fight

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Holy gently caress what an hellbow by Ramazandov

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1697615494860193969?s=20

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 1, 2023

coathat
May 21, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Holy gently caress what an hellbow by Ramazandov

He couldn't have cut him up better with a knife

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Love a leg kick KO in the morning!

https://twitter.com/octagonobsessed/status/1697624940965478578?s=20

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’m surprised Muay Thai with 4oz gloves doesn’t start looking more like Karate, but maybe there are rules I’ve forgotten…?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Clinch rules mean you always have the closer range to work in. I don't really see much karate competition, but even in Kyokushin, they don't seem to get time to work indefinitely in the clinch.

I've hardly seen any continuous rules competition that allows punches to the head.

I think largely it's just the background of the competitors. They're used to damage over cleanness of strikes as scoring criteria, so can't adjust their style overnight.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Shumagorath posted:

I’m surprised Muay Thai with 4oz gloves doesn’t start looking more like Karate, but maybe there are rules I’ve forgotten…?

I'm glad it doesn't so I get to watch Karate Combat and ONE Muay Thai and have them be distinct. For the life of me, I don't understand why the STAND THEM UP crowd doesn't watch these other things instead. They're great.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

Clinch rules mean you always have the closer range to work in. I don't really see much karate competition, but even in Kyokushin, they don't seem to get time to work indefinitely in the clinch.

I've hardly seen any continuous rules competition that allows punches to the head.

I think largely it's just the background of the competitors. They're used to damage over cleanness of strikes as scoring criteria, so can't adjust their style overnight.
All good points. I confess I was bored into leaving early when I last watched Pan-Am level Shotokan (not to mention the lady in the stands repeatedly screaming VENEZUELAAAAAAA even when neither athlete was from there). Plus Muay Thai has fouls for a bunch of the good takedowns / sweeps iirc.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Does Karate allow knees and elbows?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

Does Karate allow knees and elbows?

Depends on the ruleset. Kyokushin allows elbows but stays consistent in prohibiting elbows to the head. The applications are fighting against a clinch / trapping and "judo chopping" the collarbone. Knees are legal in KK.

Shumagorath posted:

Plus Muay Thai has fouls for a bunch of the good takedowns / sweeps iirc.

I teach sanshou, and occasionally a student more familiar with MT will ask what differences there are in throw legality. After doing some research on it, add best as I can tell, what you'll get docked for isn't as rigid as the written rules would suggest. Philosophically, you could summarize as:
- it better not look like judo. In the same way that judo has limited things over time to preserve some aesthetic standard, MT had the same reaction to contact with throws from other arts
- you can get away with it if it looked cool or if you're a favorite/ the Thai fighter

But yeah, hip throws, lifting completely off the feet, and back of leg to back of leg reaps being disallowed take away a lot of options. Of course it's still great to see what you can do within the MT framework.

I'm gonna watch more Karate Combat and digest. It's just one karate ruleset but certainly worth understanding given that it's a combat sorry meant to be entertaining.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

lmao what? I can't think of any elbows I've seen standing to anything but the head, maybe on the ground in like side control I've seen elbows to the ribs, but even then that's about it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

lmao what? I can't think of any elbows I've seen standing to anything but the head, maybe on the ground in like side control I've seen elbows to the ribs, but even then that's about it.

Specific to a KK ruleset, if you can't use your arms to strike the head, then close range work lets you cheat and lower your guard in front of your chest as a passive defense.
Active close fighting is just two people drilling each other in the chest. If you stall with putting your guard there, a fighter could try to mix it up by pushing off of you and throwing an axe kick or high kick over the guard, or a spinning kick under the guard.

Or, you can use elbows to clear that lowered guard, bashing one of the forearms out of the way so you can continue hammering at the chest.
Overhand or up elbow to knock the arm out of position, spinning elbow to the arms, horizontal elbow just to hurt em.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm sorry kimbo but I blanked out and starting imagining bas rutten showing us how to kill people

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So look at your table and see what you can use to hold in your hands. Even this Tabasco bottle!
Just poosh deir head down, and go BANG! BING! KADANG KADANG!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

don't youu eveeRRR DO THISSSS