Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many of this month's B-league main eventers do you recognize without googling?
This poll is closed.
Logan Storley 16 9.20%
Brennan Ward 17 9.77%
Chingiz Allazov 13 7.47%
Marat Grigorian 7 4.02%
Bubba Jenkins 21 12.07%
Jesus Pinedo 4 2.30%
Renan Ferreira 7 4.02%
Maurice Greene 24 13.79%
Clay Collard 22 12.64%
Shane Burgos 43 24.71%
Total: 46 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Thinking about what would cause that when wearing good headgear, which might not stop a concussion but should spread out the pressure of a blow quite a bit.

Maybe a grappling round and slipped and slammed into a knee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

I don't know *why* MMA guys are allergic to head gear but at the boxing gym everyone would be wearing headgear except the pro MMA guys

Is it restrictive for full rules with grappling? I have trouble enough seeing enough of someone’s legs and knees with a nosebar headgear.
But even in what caught Kelvin, wear some elbow pads, drat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That’s awesome data. I wish there was a version of just the last 10 years, to see how much the top chokes reorder.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yah, are you making fun of him, or?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Grem posted:

Alright I'll defer to goons, was it exciting like you guys said it would be, or boring like I thought it would be? I'll watch it later, maybe.

It was a curiosity to see if Jake Paul would gas out before the end and get overtaken by a gassed Diaz.

Had a knockdown that was more sad than thrilling.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bisping was even on Cruz’s side about it, noting not every good performance is going to have the audience cheering.

Sandhagen said he tore his tricep early, and the audience still didn’t cut him any slack at the post fight interview.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Paul is about as good as a semi-pro boxer, which it turns out is a pretty high level among mma fighters.

He’s not fought any prime striking-centric mma fighters. Which is fine from a protecting his brand perspective, but it hasn’t settled anything for people who want to see his rear end beat.

Also, not every athletic person has that kind of power.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Stealth Tiger posted:

fantasy-posting about how Nate would shoot on Jake.

He did though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Photoshop that guy a sandwich, drat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

He did better than I expected after the rd1 knockdown and actually had Paul in trouble in places

If all fights started with a Slap Fight like concussion for warmup, the Diaz brothers would clean up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

I remember that the group of internet fight nerds I ran around with would joke that he should fight the similarly-new-at-the-time Jon Jones because the two names combined to make a semi-obscure comic book gag that was much less clever than we thought it was.

Yeah, some here, rocco tuna?, joked about Jon Jones, “lol the UFC signed the Martian Manhunter”

But then his performances quickly outstripped any jokes about his name.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sadly, Lewis 'manager works out of the back of the garage.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What happened with Serra-Longo? I haven’t followed that team or Weidman’s training closely. Did Serra retire?

cagliostr0 posted:

I would quite like to see both O'Malley and Sterling gently caress off back to their home planets and have somebody like merab or Umar be the champion.

I wonder which man has the least regressive views on gender. Aljo showed himself with the insult on O’Malley.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I don't think Weidman trains at Longo's anymore. I think he moved to a different state.

e: checked, he moved to South Carolina. Probably too far of a commute to train with Longo.

Hunh, I knew e: Wonderboy's brother married his sister, but I didn't know it affected his camp affilition like that.

Wonderboy is pretty active on "training martial arts" Youtube, and their gym is a lot of people who have solid facsimiles of his sport karate style. Obviously, since his dad is the head coach.
I'm curious how much that would have changed/affected Weidman's striking.

BlindSite posted:

Probably don't google the Nurmagomedov's views on things if you're upset about Magny's views lol.

Oh I'm caught up. As I've said before, send me all the "fighters are bad people in real life" updates.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 19, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeah, I edited with the corrected familial info -- it's Wonderboy's brother and Weidman's sister.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not many comments but at least they’re all clued in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

> White on a possible Weili vs. Xiaonan fight in China sometime in the near future: "Probably."

Should time it around Song Yadong's recovery. Tho tbh, I don't think it'd matter what the undercard was. The gate would be huge no matter what.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Volkova III posted:

Been awhile, but it feels like that should've kept going.

Which that?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Both knockdowns there illustrate what happens if you’re short on reach and decide to stop your offense with your head right there. It’s crazy and disappointing that a grappling oriented fighter of Aljo’s caliber can still make that mistake.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Aljo going up in weight really fucks with his legacy imo. They’re gonna protect O’Malley from Merab even if he’s now unclogged to fight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

The petr yan decision was bullshit but wasn't ultimately up to dana

Even so, the promotion could have accepted the eye test of that fight as a check to O’Malley’s momentum. Their matchmaking and hype has done worse in terms of being arbitrary over decisions. It’s just how Dana operates to ignore calls of robbery and proceed with what is convenient to the plan.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Merab, like many people whose name ends in -shvili, is from Georgia.
e: awww man, taking informational Ls all week -- I didn't consider Georgia to be in the Caucasus, even though it's north of Armenia.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This whole period was such a rich vein of excellent fights and incredible memes.
JaySB (a Vegas regular) would post inside scoop stuff about Cody's personal life's effect on his mental state, though in that period he always seemed to be fine in terms of gameplan and chin.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Renan Barao started his career 32-1 and was incredibly exciting and quick, like a mini Jose Aldo from the same camp. He was also THE FUTURE, with great striking, a great gas tank, and great takedown defense. He beat erstwhile uncrowned champ Urijah Faber twice, including finishing him, but then fought Dillashaw at the height of his juicing-and-Duane-Ludwig powers. Dillashaw beat the absolute poo poo out of him twice and made Barao look like a b-league can, and Barao then did his best BJ Penn impersonation and lost to guys like, uh, Luke Sanders. And Andre Ewell. And Brian Kelleher over the next 5 years.

Dillashaw was promptly regarded as THE FUTURE, with Duane Ludwig seemingly having figured out how to take the roids, wrestling, homoeroticism, athleticism, and striking power of a Team Alpha Male athlete and give them striking technique, strategy, and gameplanning. As mentioned, he beat the poo poo out of Renan Barao, then was supposed to fight Barao again but Barao had to go the hospital because of his weight cutting and so instead hosed up Joe Soto on a day's notice. Then he fought Barao again and hosed him up. He then fought Dominick Cruz, fresh off getting a genocide's worth of cadaver ligaments surgically implanted into every part of his legs. Cruz of course beat him in a razor-thin decision that a lot of people disagreed with. The media scores were 12-10 Cruz with one draw, lol.

The UFC, giving Cruz some Dana White privilege, treated this as a dominating win for Cruz, mainly because they wanted to give Urijah Faber another crack at the title, since he and Cruz were 1-1 and Faber was the biggest star at Bantamweight. Cruz won a clear but close decision, more clearly than his Dillashaw win but not as clearly as you would want to end a trilogy. Cruz would then get matched up against Cody Garbrandt and everyone thought this would be more of the same--another Team Alpha Male fighter trying to take out camp enemy Cruz, but of course Cody Garbrandt, one of the p4p dumbest fighters in combat sports, somehow figured out the insane cerebral footwork and pacing of Cruz and easily smoked him.

Garbrandt was promptly regarded as THE FUTURE--a man who was so dumb that he couldn't be bamboozled by more advanced fighters. At 11-0 and seemingly the final form of a Team Alpha Male fighter, even incorporating unintentional verbal homoeroticism, who knew how long he could reign? So of course he immediately got KOed in back to back fights by juiced up viper TJ Dillashaw.

Dillashaw was now king of the world again and back to being THE FUTURE. He was sponsored by a gym. His heat with Garbrandt made him marketable. He was seeing everyone else try for double championships, so despite beating only two different guys twice (and Joe Soto) in BW championship fights, he decided to drop down and fight Henry Cejudo at flyweight, who himself had just won a razor-thin coulda-gone-either-way decision (the media scores were 13-12 Cejudo) against one of the MMA GOATs in Mighty Mouse and had not defended the Flyweight belt against anyone in his division. Cejudo promptly knocked Dillashaw out in 32 seconds and said "I'm coming up to Bantamweight to get that belt!". And then Dillashaw popped for EPO (a sick rear end drug for fighting) and got stripped of his Bantamweight belt, too.

The UFC allowed Cejudo to challenge anyway, pitting him against Marlon Moraes, an import from the b-leagues that had lost a split, won a split, then had three straight first-round finishes (including against Aljamain Sterling). Could Moraes be THE FUTURE? No. Cejudo beat him so bad that Moraes has lost every fight since, including most recently to a Wikipedia-less fighter in the PFL named Gabriel Alves Braga. He technically won against Jose Aldo immediately after, but IIRC that was a robbery. I could be wrong about that, but either way he got knocked out 4 straight times right after and then cut out of the UFC after.

So now Cejudo was THE FUTURE, a triple champ counting his gold medal in wrestling. So of course he beat eternal divisional ghost Dominick Cruz, actually managing to finish him (in a finish Cruz immediately disputed) and then promptly retired for three years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's too bad that fighters are too dumb and too tied to the income to collectivize and go on strike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Weili tried to throw the Devil horns but turned it into a webshooter dealie

https://i.imgur.com/ETf4mWi.mp4

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Quick refresher on male champ ages

Holloway tears up about Lahaina:
https://youtu.be/X7f3AcOH-i4?si=pIpQ4CcFEm59dski

Before this he mentioned the “UFC <3 Hawaii” effort, and I don’t have the naive optimism to go read what that is.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Honestly one of the more impressive physique non-transformations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

As I tenuously understand it, he only had one kid, so might be from a past relationship.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is probably the biggest sponsorship coup for any brand in the last quarter century

https://youtu.be/7Zggju941Qs?si=nbiWK5imYFKGSiKq

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Clipped the end of the Max x TKZ fight when Zombie is wrapping up and walking out of the cage for the last time:
[this has sound but it might not embed that way]
https://i.imgur.com/1jPHXEJ.mp4
The crowd picking up the chorus of the song as he walks out the door and gets the spotlight is incredible. It's kinda rare that there's anything cinematic outside the cage, but this one gave me goosebumps.

Longer version: https://streamable.com/3f0n60

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

as he walked out of the cage and i heard the crowd i didn't feel very alone.

It was a great song before, but that moment when he left the cage a hero, it became TKZ's song.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Need a rundown of all past times where Dana has been ok with this. Not necessarily title implications, but top 5-10. My gut says 2-3?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

particularly as Aljo was talking so much about moving to 145 after that last fight.

Did he confirm that? I only remember him saying he had to rethink things in the post fight interview.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The UFC put out a terrible YT short of TKZ's walk out of the cage, in that stupid vertical format so he's not even in frame for part of the critical moment.
It does stay on the main camera longer, but that even takes away from the magic of people singing Zombie in the stands.

and despite all that, it has the most views of the recent wave of shorts except for Anthony Smith standing over Ryan Spann.
The popular tab of shorts is mostly Power Slap.

I uploaded my streamable copy to YT; dunno how long this'll last.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZsRT1D6Em0

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Watching that beautiful video again (thanks kimbo!), it didn't strike me till the very end when they start talking again that the commentators very smartly shut the gently caress up and just let the moment speak for itself.

I feel like Rogan and Felder had pushed off, leaving Fitzgerald by himself. And all the better for him to exercise judgment alone, for sure.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lol, I didn't know Scott Fujita did the Chinese martial arts salute to celebrate tackles

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Clinch rules mean you always have the closer range to work in. I don't really see much karate competition, but even in Kyokushin, they don't seem to get time to work indefinitely in the clinch.

I've hardly seen any continuous rules competition that allows punches to the head.

I think largely it's just the background of the competitors. They're used to damage over cleanness of strikes as scoring criteria, so can't adjust their style overnight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

Does Karate allow knees and elbows?

Depends on the ruleset. Kyokushin allows elbows but stays consistent in prohibiting elbows to the head. The applications are fighting against a clinch / trapping and "judo chopping" the collarbone. Knees are legal in KK.

Shumagorath posted:

Plus Muay Thai has fouls for a bunch of the good takedowns / sweeps iirc.

I teach sanshou, and occasionally a student more familiar with MT will ask what differences there are in throw legality. After doing some research on it, add best as I can tell, what you'll get docked for isn't as rigid as the written rules would suggest. Philosophically, you could summarize as:
- it better not look like judo. In the same way that judo has limited things over time to preserve some aesthetic standard, MT had the same reaction to contact with throws from other arts
- you can get away with it if it looked cool or if you're a favorite/ the Thai fighter

But yeah, hip throws, lifting completely off the feet, and back of leg to back of leg reaps being disallowed take away a lot of options. Of course it's still great to see what you can do within the MT framework.

I'm gonna watch more Karate Combat and digest. It's just one karate ruleset but certainly worth understanding given that it's a combat sorry meant to be entertaining.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Brut posted:

lmao what? I can't think of any elbows I've seen standing to anything but the head, maybe on the ground in like side control I've seen elbows to the ribs, but even then that's about it.

Specific to a KK ruleset, if you can't use your arms to strike the head, then close range work lets you cheat and lower your guard in front of your chest as a passive defense.
Active close fighting is just two people drilling each other in the chest. If you stall with putting your guard there, a fighter could try to mix it up by pushing off of you and throwing an axe kick or high kick over the guard, or a spinning kick under the guard.

Or, you can use elbows to clear that lowered guard, bashing one of the forearms out of the way so you can continue hammering at the chest.
Overhand or up elbow to knock the arm out of position, spinning elbow to the arms, horizontal elbow just to hurt em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

So look at your table and see what you can use to hold in your hands. Even this Tabasco bottle!
Just poosh deir head down, and go BANG! BING! KADANG KADANG!