Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many of this month's B-league main eventers do you recognize without googling?
This poll is closed.
Logan Storley 16 9.20%
Brennan Ward 17 9.77%
Chingiz Allazov 13 7.47%
Marat Grigorian 7 4.02%
Bubba Jenkins 21 12.07%
Jesus Pinedo 4 2.30%
Renan Ferreira 7 4.02%
Maurice Greene 24 13.79%
Clay Collard 22 12.64%
Shane Burgos 43 24.71%
Total: 46 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Brut posted:

Yo does anyone have any word about UFC's "The Thrill and the Agony" videos? The most recent one I can find on Fightpass is UFC 282, are more recent ones on ESPN+ or anywhere or have they just stopped producing those?

Quoting myself from the previous thread just in case anyone has any information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Digital Jedi posted:

I googled, searched fightpass, youtube and espn+ I can't find anything newer than 282.

They must have discountinued it

drat, that always had good behind the scenes stuff, thanks for checking.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Digital Jedi posted:

Also took me a second to figure out how the gently caress someone got a lapel choke and then it dawned on me

I'm guessing either something from way back in the day when some people wore a gi or if it's recent then...oleinik?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Unperson_47 posted:

Also, all those scarf holds belong to Alexey Oleinik.

You sure? Wiki has him as only having 2 in UFC

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Heh no worries, I'm just wondering who the other 2 are, same for the other 2 Ezekiels that aren't his.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Huh?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Al jorgensen is now playable in balder gate the third, dont you listen to ministry?

lol I have no idea what any of that means

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
He's also fighting much smaller guys, Diaz is essentially a 155er who had his last few fights at 170 because "gently caress it I don't wanna cut weight, my name is good enough", and Paul had him fighting at 185. On top of that, Diaz is 38 years old. Silva was his only fight with someone his own size but he was...what, 45 years old when they fought? Like come on.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

delightful posted:

Dom sucks on commentary and should gently caress off forever. Dom just sucks.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Sounds like the question the UFC was invented to answer has run its course, and now we’re running it back in reverse.

Paul can pack a punch, and wrapping an mma fighters hands up in kid gloves and taking away most of their tools renders them much less dangerous, no great surprise really
I still think if you put him in there against an actual 185er (who isn't 45 years old) it goes a lot differently, like obviously Adesanya and Pereira would demolish him, but I even mean like Chris Curtis or Michal Oleksiejczuk would probably beat him pretty soundly. Doubt any fight like that actually happens.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah. If Paul is boxing Danis just what the gently caress is going on? Who would sanction that match?

It's happening in the UK. Is it really a huge mismatch somehow? I figure they're both basically amateur boxers, Danis having slightly more relevant combat sports experience, Paul being slightly bigger but not as much of a size difference as Paul/Nate was.

Obviously 0-1 vs 0-0 as a main event is laughable from a card organizing point, but it's not like these are serious cards, it's just celebrity bullshit.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Does Primus stand a chance?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

kri kri posted:

I thought iZzy was fighting that duplicitous guy

Maybe I’m confused

I think he said he needs some kind of surgery

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Who did this dude piss off to get matched up with this uzbek, holy poo poo

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Man these first few muay thai fights really feel like the non-thai fighters are kind of set up to fail, I mean it's not like rigged or anything, they all physically have chance/opportunity to do well, but this fight against a 19 year old Italian dude went pretty much exactly how you'd expect, I suspect the next 3 are gonna be pretty similar.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Shumagorath posted:

September title plz

Sure, that can be the title for the power slap thread, but not this one. there is no power slap thread and nobody here is willing to embarrass themselves enough to make one

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Snowman_McK posted:

Sean O'Malley fuckin' sucks.

Yup. Really stupid he's getting a title shot on the back of this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Yeah, I don't think anyone's arguing that O'Malley is a bad person because the UFC is promoting him, or because he won a split decision that he shouldn't have. There's a strong argument to be made though that the UFC is promoting him because he's a bad person(see one post up^), because they want a new Conor, who is, not at all coincidentally, also a bad person.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Jiro posted:

Good afternoon MMA thread I am but a humble wrasslin guy and enjoy my fighting games.

So if this has been posted already I apologize, what the gently caress is this???

https://twitter.com/PFLMMA/status/1692635539642736664

Why is a red haired Yamazaki kicking mustache Brazilian buttlift man square in the face and no one is in any kind of gear or........yeah I'm so very confused and :lol: at the short guy getting knocked out.

lmao what the gently caress, I'm also very confused

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
The fountain of youth is full of Ostarine

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

cagliostr0 posted:

Aside from Carla Esparza he's probably the least convincing champion we have had in a while. Probably since bisping

Including LHW?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
GDR beat everyone UFC put in front of her not named Amanda Nunes so I think she deserves a bit more respect than Montano in terms of her fighting ability.

beep by grandpa posted:

Every time I click on this thread I think it's the Derrick Lewis thread, and honestly not a bad thing
It is :hai:.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

Digital Jedi posted:

This started. First fight just finished!

Did any of this end up being any good?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Max vs TKZ GDT, come shitpost about this fight if you're willing to admit you're awake

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

LobsterMobster posted:

There are several fighters on the upcoming UFC card who are not "worldwide ranked" on Tapology, meaning they are still regionally ranked. Even worse, they aren't even the #1 ranked fighter in that region for that weight class. Just throw Some Guys on the card and say to hell with it

The last Paris card was like that too wasn't it?

So, this first one is a bit weird and doesn't really fit the pattern of the rest of the card.
Bogdan Guskov is the #5 LHW in the Russia region, lets look at who's ranked above him.
At #1 we have Faridun Odilov, a 17-2-2 31 year old Tajikistani wrestling/sambo dude who fights in ACA and his last loss was in 2018 to Shavkat Rakhmonov.(the draws are from 2016 and 2017)
At #2 we have Ibragim Chuzhigaev, a 18-5 32 year old Chechen fighter who fights in KSW and hasn't lost since 2017, on looks alone, I don't think he even comes close to passing USADA testing.
At #3 we have Ivan Shtyrkov, who is a steroid elemental, and also 35 years old.
and finally at #4 we have David Barkhudaryan, who's record is 15-5 including a recent loss, he also has an even more recent loss for illegal blows in a boxing match (???), he also looks kinda juicy but I'm less sure.

But here's the thing about Bogdan, he's 14-2 at 30 years old, which seems a bit inexperienced, and he comes from the "MMA Series" organization, which...I know absolutely nothing about, so I think he's gonna get his rear end kicked by Oezdemir.

The regional stuff can be a bit misleading in general because like, over here "Alaska" is a region, but the quality there is gonna be substantially below the Russia region, where MMA has been very strong for ages and has many organizations to choose form, I'm actually kind of surprised that ACA fighters are considered regional, since that organization has plenty of international fighters coming over to fight there (or at least used to, recent political circumstances might have changed things)

The rest of the card is even less surprising, mostly French fighters, one Italian, two Irish, one from Portugal. Would those fighters be on a Vegas card? Probably not, maybe just the two Irish guys. Overall I'm not really surprised to see a bunch of local fighters on this card.

Brut fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 29, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

drat it's almost like they're going to blow this out of proportion to pass over Merab for a title shot!

Just to keep this complete, the question was "What is the likelyhood that it would be Merab? I know that there is some controversy about him not wanting to fight, he wants Aljo to have the rematch, what's your idea for that?"

I dunno how much truth there is to that premise but if there is some, seems like Merab has some part in passing himself over for a title shot, which is unfortunate. It made sense when Aljo was champ, but it makes way less sense now, particularly as Aljo was talking so much about moving to 145 after that last fight.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

kimbo305 posted:

I feel like Rogan and Felder had pushed off, leaving Fitzgerald by himself. And all the better for him to exercise judgment alone, for sure.

Rogan was oddly quiet that whole night.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

LobsterMobster posted:

UFC/MMA September: Zombie Forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
lmao what? I can't think of any elbows I've seen standing to anything but the head, maybe on the ground in like side control I've seen elbows to the ribs, but even then that's about it.