Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many of this month's B-league main eventers do you recognize without googling?
This poll is closed.
Logan Storley 16 9.20%
Brennan Ward 17 9.77%
Chingiz Allazov 13 7.47%
Marat Grigorian 7 4.02%
Bubba Jenkins 21 12.07%
Jesus Pinedo 4 2.30%
Renan Ferreira 7 4.02%
Maurice Greene 24 13.79%
Clay Collard 22 12.64%
Shane Burgos 43 24.71%
Total: 46 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CarlCX posted:

Bellator: Please stop killing Pitbull.

Haven't seen this sentiment since Bjorn Rebney left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

COPE 27 posted:

does it count if you mostly recognize logan storely for sucking?

Well what the hell else would anyone know him for?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Kim Winslow ineffectively flailing at hands to stop the posts from happening

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

:siren:

B-League Weekend Round-Up (08/05/2023)

PFL Playoffs!

ONE Championship!

Paul vs Diaz!

PFL Playoffs start this weekend. Prelims include Billy Elekana, a guy with amateur wins over Bryan “Pooh Bear” Battle and Sullivan Cauley, one of Bellator’s up-and-coming prospects taking on Chuck Campbell, who’s two pro losses are to Tyrell Fortune, another Bellator prospect and Modestas Bukauskas, who is currently riding a 4-fight win streak in the UFC. There’s also Carson Hardman in action, and he’s notable to me because his most recent fight was a win against Super Fight League’s own Bhabajeet Choudhury, which is a name I have not thought about in a long time. We’ve also got Thad Jean, who has an amateur win over PFL 2022 Championship participant Dilano Taylor, taking on Ali Omar, who has a 36-second anaconda choke victory against Jay Ellis back in 2019.

On the main card, there’s a sole non-playoff bout, as Elvin Espinoza brings his 8-0 record with 7 finishes to bear against Bellator veteran Keoni Diggs. In the playoffs proper, we have Light Heavyweight and Featherweight action.

Marthin Hamlet went 2-0 with a Quick Six via face crank, and he takes on Impa Kasanganay, who was also 2-0 in 2023, including a Fast Five by way of arm triangle choke. Also in the 205-lb division, Josh Silveira takes his pair of Quick Six finishes into action against Ty Flores, who won a pair of decisions in the regular season.

Down at Featherweight, sadly Movlid Khaybulaev is out due to injury. Replacing him will be Chris Wade, who went 1-1 in 2023 with a Quick Six guillotine choke, as he faces Gabriel Alves Braga. Braga went 2-0, including a Quick Six when he put Marlon Moraes out of his misery. On the other side of the bracket, Bubba Jenkins went 2-0 this year, including a Quick Six of his own, while his foe, Jesus Pinedo punched his ticket with his knees, knocking out Brendan Loughnane for his lone victory in the regular season.

ONE Championship is back with a pretty solid event. We’ve got some interesting stuff on this card, so let’s peel back the layers and dive right in. Heavyweight action between Marcus Buchecha and the mighty REUG REUG should be an interesting test between a man that punches hard for about thirty seconds and a man who wants nothing more than to flop on his butt.

Speaking of punching hard, JOHN FUCKIN LINEKER is back in action as he takes his murderfists up against the face and torso of Jae Woong Kim. In more striking fun times, Tawanchai PK Saenchai takes on Davit Kiria in 155-lb kickboxing action that should be super fun.

Grappling nerd Mikey Muscumeci will probably submit Jarred Brooks via gabbagooloplata to notch another defense of his submission title.

The main event is another kickboxing bout, with Chingiz Allazov taking on Marat Grigorian. Rad!

The dumbest event of the weekend is saved for Saturday night: Jake Paul vs Nate Diaz. Cee Jay Hamilton, who is 1-2 in Bellator, is making his boxing debut against a 1-3 guy. Nate Diaz’s friend, Chris Avila, is taking on Jeremy “Hasn’t won by stoppage since 2018” Stephens.

There’s also somehow a legitimate fight, as Amanda Serrano takes on Heather Hardy in a rematch from 2019.

Of course, the real shitshow is the main event, as professional moron Jake Paul takes on former part-time MMA fighter and full time weed enjoyer, Nate Diaz. Is it going to be incredibly stupid? Yes, of course. Should anyone willingly watch it? Probably not! Am I the type of horrid goblin that’s gonna watch it anyway? yeah, unfortunately.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

JOHN FUCKIN LINEKER TIME

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

JOHN loving LINEKER!!!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Logan Paul is apparently going to fight Dillon Danis later this year

Which means Logan Paul is going to fight a late replacement when Danis pulls out a week before the bout.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Bellator 300 in October will for some reason, feature 4 title bouts

- Cris Cyborg returns from attempting to instigate a coup and also beating up two cans in boxing to defend her Featherweight title against Cat Zingano, who is on a four fight win streak

- Usman Nurmagomedov puts his Lightweight belt and undefeated record on the line as he clashes with former champ Brent Primus in the next round of the Lightweight Grand Prix

- Liz Carmouche defends her Flyweight belt against former champ and also friend, Ilima-Lei Macfarlane

- ryan bader vs linton vassell in a rematch from 2017, but now it is for the heavyweight belt instead of light heavyweight

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

nope

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

lets go conejo

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Bellator 298 - Friday, August 11

Bellator is back for their only August event. Let’s see if there’s any reason to watch it.

On the overloaded prelims, we’ve got a pair of collegiate wrestlers making their pro debuts against some guys who are a combined 0-5. Who wouldn’t want to say they saw the first fight in the career of a future legend like Mike Block House and or the 33-year old Jordan Oliver, who lost to Aaron Pico on the national wrestling stage.

There are a slew of young prospects looking to make a good impression by beating up middling opposition with middling records.

Prelim advice: Wait about 90 minutes, then start watching at 1.5x speed and for the love of god, skip the desk segments with Josh Thomson.

Main card features some slightly more recognizable names. SIdney Outlaw, fresh off getting booted from the Lightweight Grand Prix for doin’ drugs is in action against scary Dagestan grappler Islam Mamedov.

Bellator’s original hope for their own McGregor, James “What the gently caress is a ‘Strabanimal’ anyway?” Gallagher returns after two years of not fighting to fight a guy who is 10-6. James Gonzalez most recently lost a decision to Aaron Pico, so at least he didn’t get finished!

There’s also a heavyweight clash as Valentin Moldavsky takes on Steve Mowry in a rematch from last year. That bout ended in 54 seconds due to an accidental eye poke, so let’s hope this one has a more definitive outcome.

The main event sees former interim Welterweight champ Logan Storley take on hard punchin Brennan Ward. Can Ward defend against Storley’s wrestling onslaught long enough to land some devastating blows? Probably not!

Main card advice: The main event is probably not going to be good. Sure, Ward has a Puncher’s Chance and Every Round Starts Standing, but he likely will get a grand total of 20 seconds to strike for the entire fight. And it ain’t like Storley is a great submission artist or ground and pound threat.

The BeefBoiz matchup could be good as both guys are in mildly good shape, so it probably won’t turn into a horrendous slog. I’m also a Tall Steve Mowry fan, so I’m hoping he has a good performance.

The rest of the main card feels like matchmaking with one very specific intended outcome. Undefeated Dalton Rosta, James Gallagher and Islam Mamedov are all facing lesser opposition. So, you know, if you want to see those guys presumably steamroll, go for it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

u wanna see people get hosed for free

https://twitter.com/Matysek88/status/1690061161977257984?t=z04vAPClv39Klev0WuhUqA&s=19

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

Bellator 298 - Friday, August 11

Bellator is back for their only August event. Let’s see if there’s any reason to watch it.

On the overloaded prelims, we’ve got a pair of collegiate wrestlers making their pro debuts against some guys who are a combined 0-5. Who wouldn’t want to say they saw the first fight in the career of a future legend like Mike Block House and or the 33-year old Jordan Oliver, who lost to Aaron Pico on the national wrestling stage.

There are a slew of young prospects looking to make a good impression by beating up middling opposition with middling records.

Prelim advice: Wait about 90 minutes, then start watching at 1.5x speed and for the love of god, skip the desk segments with Josh Thomson.

Main card features some slightly more recognizable names. SIdney Outlaw, fresh off getting booted from the Lightweight Grand Prix for doin’ drugs is in action against scary Dagestan grappler Islam Mamedov.

Bellator’s original hope for their own McGregor, James “What the gently caress is a ‘Strabanimal’ anyway?” Gallagher returns after two years of not fighting to fight a guy who is 10-6. James Gonzalez most recently lost a decision to Aaron Pico, so at least he didn’t get finished!

There’s also a heavyweight clash as Valentin Moldavsky takes on Steve Mowry in a rematch from last year. That bout ended in 54 seconds due to an accidental eye poke, so let’s hope this one has a more definitive outcome.

The main event sees former interim Welterweight champ Logan Storley take on hard punchin Brennan Ward. Can Ward defend against Storley’s wrestling onslaught long enough to land some devastating blows? Probably not!

Main card advice: The main event is probably not going to be good. Sure, Ward has a Puncher’s Chance and Every Round Starts Standing, but he likely will get a grand total of 20 seconds to strike for the entire fight. And it ain’t like Storley is a great submission artist or ground and pound threat.

The BeefBoiz matchup could be good as both guys are in mildly good shape, so it probably won’t turn into a horrendous slog. I’m also a Tall Steve Mowry fan, so I’m hoping he has a good performance.

The rest of the main card feels like matchmaking with one very specific intended outcome. Undefeated Dalton Rosta, James Gallagher and Islam Mamedov are all facing lesser opposition. So, you know, if you want to see those guys presumably steamroll, go for it.

everything i said is wrong

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

PFL Playoffs

Oh boy, we got beefbois and lorj ladies! But before we look at the playoff bracket, let’s see what PFL has cooking on the prelims.

It’s doodoo feces from a butt. This is putrid.

Louie “The Vanilla Gorilla” Sutherland can’t even get his own nickname and has to take Chase Sherman’s, which is just sad, man. Louie has one win on his record over a guy who isn’t fully terrible. He’s facing Daiqwon Buckley, and if I were him, I’d go by “The Radish”. His previous level of competition is also pretty lackluster.

Kaytlin “Katniss” Neil is taking on Maira Mazar, who is on a two-fight losing streak and has really only beat up Brazilian cans.

Danilo Marques took his 2-2 UFC record to PFL and went 2-1. He’s facing Croatia’s second favorite son, Satoshi Ishii. For some reason, the Olympic judoka has been having kickboxing matches the last few years, because I guess Satoshi doesn’t want to enter a combat sport where he’s got any kind of skill advantage.

Abraham Bably with his 3-0 record against Some Guys is taking on Hamilton Tiger-Cats legend Anthony Wint (I can neither confirm nor deny if this is Twitter user Dril)

Chris Mixan is facing Eddy George, but it’s not the former running back, which is a disappointment. George is 6-1 in MMA and has had 6 bouts canceled due to his opponents withdrawing. This fight might not even happen!

Prelim advice: Don’t watch this. There might be some quick finishes, but unless you are a registered Satoshi Ishii Aficionado, there’s no reason to tune in. Nothing of consequence will happen, no new information will be gleaned from these fights.

Ok, that was pretty bad. Let’s see how that main card looks.

Well, we begin with Nate Kelly taking on Damion Nelson. Nelson is 4-3 with one stoppage victory. Kelly is 7-2 with 3 TKO and 3 sub wins, and he’s a SBG Ireland guy, so he is now my enemy.

Women’s Featherweight has a standard 1 vs 4, 2 vs 3 set up. Marina Mokhnatkina takes on Amber Leibrock. Leibrock had a cool head kick KO to start her PFL run, but then she got Pacheco’d. Mokhnatkina has a ground and pound stoppage plus a decision win to get the number two spot. This should come down to Leibrock’s ability to keep the fight standing.

Larissa Pacheco faces Olena Kolesnyk. Kolesnyk took two decisions to squeak into the 4 seed. She’s previously been Pacheco’d in 2021 and 2022. Larissa went to her third ever decision win against Julia Budd, and then proceeded to Pacheco Amber Leibrock. For reference, to Pacheco an opponent is to obliterate them in one round, usually inside of 3 minutes. Expect Olena to get Pacheco’d again for 2023.

Men’s Heavyweight has had a slight shakeup as Marcelo Nunes had to withdraw, allowing Maurice Greene to swoop in. First up, we have #1 seed Denis Goltsov taking on Jordan Heiderman. Despite several issues with visas and opponent changes, Goltsov scored two first round knockouts in the regular season to clinch the top spot. Jordan Heiderman is here because his opponent’s knee exploded. He’s gonna get hit in the face and neck and chest and torso very hard for around 3 minutes before he falls over.

Renan Ferreira took the #2 seed thanks to a 50-second KO after his decision loss to Rizvan Kuniev was overturned because shockingly, a PFL heavyweight failed a drug test. Greene punched out Marcelo Nunes for a Fast Five Finish, but then lost to Ante Delija. Fortunately for most of the other heavyweights, Delija only had one fight in the 2023 regular season, and the Greene fight went to a decision, leaving him without enough points to qualify. This fight will come down to Greene’s ability to take down Ferreira and not get obliterated as he tries to accomplish said takedowns. Ferreira, for all his scary striking prowess, has shown roughly negative ground skills.

Main card advice: The tournament bouts should be fine. Hopefully they don’t last too long. Remember, when it comes to the biggest weight classes, we aren’t here for a good fight, we’re here for a short fight.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CarlCX posted:

i don't appreciate being called out like this, I don't mind telling you

Thank you because I genuinely cannot read a PFL prelim card without my eyes just completely glazing over.

Also, Mario Bautista has a new opponent four days before this weekend's card, and it is...Da'Mon Blackshear, who just fought last weekend. I hate this poo poo.

Hey, I'm the forum's #1 Tall Steve Mowry freakazoid, I have no place to judge anyone for their b-league heavyweight peccadilloes

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Nierbo posted:

Weekly new app downloads I think. Powerslap youtube page has some weirdness going on I've noticed. 450k subs but most videos only get a few thousand views and rarely get more than a few dozen comments.

Most powerslap fans can't read or write, so the lack of comments makes sense

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

god drat bullshit

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

dont see that every day

https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1692580780667449480?t=_lqvZ751FoKl4Vp1g4K-GA&s=19

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Best part is the "winning" fighter triumphantly raising his hand in celebration

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

too lazy to make a gdt for it, but if you are a b league pervert, pfl is finally getting fighters to walk to the SMART CAGE

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

seems dumber than ufc doing that jake gyllenhall movie in between fights

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

:siren: we got wednesday fights and it ain't invicta

PFL Playoffs

PFL’s final playoff card is here, so let’s get excited for Hot Hitting Tournament Action!

Of course, first, we must review the prelims.

There’s a guy who lost to a 2-10 dude taking on John “The Don” Caldone. There is a man called David “DZ Machine” Zelner, who, solely on merit of his nickname alone, I hope he gets pummeled mercilessly. “Brave” Abby Montes is taking on Michelle “The Wild One” Montague in what is guaranteed to be a mixed martial arts contest. Mostafa Rasheed Neda is fighting for the first time since 2019 as he takes on Korey Kuppe, who, despite having his Foundation Style on Tapology listed as “Sport Karate” has 9 wins by submission compared to just 2 by TKO.

Prelim analysis: Probably gonna be pretty bad.

On the main card, we can’t go directly into tournament bouts, that would be silly. We’ve got to further indulge Muhammed Ali’s grandson, as Biaggio Ali Walsh has yet another amateur bout as he takes on Ed Davis. Fun Ed Davis fact: he competed at an event called Banger in Bangor.

In the Welterweight playoffs, join me in gnashing teeth and rending garments to shreds. We have been robbed of the Great Magomed Fight of 2023. Magomed Umalatov had to withdraw from his scheduled bout with Magomed Magomedkerimov, leaving the entire season worthless. Instead, Magomedkerimov faces Solomon Renfro. Magomed went 2-0 in the PFL regular season, winning both bouts by first round KO. Renfro had one bout in the regular season, winning by second round TKO.

On the other side of the 170 lb bracket, Carlos Leal faces Sadibou “The Swedish Denzel” Sy in a rematch of last year’s playoffs. Leal won both of his regular season bouts by TKO, one in the first and one in the second round. Sy, last year’s champ, and riding a 6-fight PFL win streak, also went 2-0 in 2023 regular season action, netting second and third round TKO finishes.

The Lightweight bracket sees last year’s winner, Olivier Aubin-Mercier take on Bruno Miranda. OAM is on an eight fight win streak in PFL, including a third round TKO in his last regular season bout of 2023 that got him the number two spot. Miranda is on a 7-fight streak of his own, but his two PFL bouts for 2023 ended in decision wins.

The final bout of the playoffs sees number one seed “Cassius” Clay Collard take on “Hurricane” Shane Burgos. Collard went 2-0 in 2023, including a second round TKO over Stevie Ray. Burgos went 1-1 in 2023, winning his final regular season bout by decision, and lucking into the playoffs because Natan Schulte and Raush Manfio didn’t try to kill each other enough, disqualifying both from playoff contention, because that’s apparently a thing PFL can do.

Main card assessment: Should be pretty good!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Apparently there is a new stipulation in UFC contracts that says UFC gets a cut from any business ventures the fighters undertake on their own

https://twitter.com/erikmagraken/status/1694002486896676919?t=CaKMr2nEm2BvfP3o6z-ZQw&s=19

SEEMS REAL FUCKIN BAD, MAN

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

may i suggest the fighters instead scalp Dana

At the very least they should try out cool new moves on him

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

the mullet ruled

The East Chicago Waterfall

also, i remember the video he posted of getting his skull stitched up after brian bowles busted up his face meats

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

There are several fighters on the upcoming UFC card who are not "worldwide ranked" on Tapology, meaning they are still regionally ranked. Even worse, they aren't even the #1 ranked fighter in that region for that weight class. Just throw Some Guys on the card and say to hell with it

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I am not allowed to express my opinion on the new ownership group of PFL out of fear of retribution by the regime

https://twitter.com/BloodyElbow/status/1696829559679914281?t=i4gP08dsI46xItRtIXx6rg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

UFC/MMA September: Zombie Forever