Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

zimbomonkey posted:

Seems like Morgan is mostly the same guy as fitterer when it comes to drafting. Lots of trades, lots of questionable choices, lots of gambling that doesn't pay off.

I thought this draft was a bit safer and more targeted than fitterers usual:

Legette, Brooks, and Sanders are good choices when you just need some more weapons on offense for your tiny qb. i dont know that all the moving around paid off particularly but those look like solid picks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bucs going nuts on washington pass catchers

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

Seems like Morgan is mostly the same guy as fitterer when it comes to drafting. Lots of trades, lots of questionable choices, lots of gambling that doesn't pay off.

Opinion is a little split on how fast Legette, Brooks, Wallace and Sanders grow into actual players but I trust Morgan with Kuechly to find a linebacker and both Legette and Sanders are good receivers who are athletic enough to contribute right away.

Panthers were below replacement level last year at wide receiver, running back and tight end and badly needed defensive depth. They hit every single one of those needs. The argument is just around whether or not you believe in the guys they picked at this point - who cares, we'll know in 6 months.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I thought this draft was a bit safer and more targeted than fitterers usual:

Legette, Brooks, and Sanders are good choices when you just need some more weapons on offense for your tiny qb. i dont know that all the moving around paid off particularly but those look like solid picks

Yes, those were the obvious picks though. Most picks they could have made had several positions of need. But they traded up to take a leggette, who I'm not entirely sold on especially with some of the other receivers they passed on. They didn't do anything more to address the line and I'm not a big fan of the plan to start Corbett at center. They traded up in the second to draft a running back with injury history and the team they traded with took another great running back with their original pick. Then they took a physical tools/upside linebacker in the third like DJ Allen last year (that worked out great!) who is all projection right now. Also they had to panic trade up for him because they traded back and one of the two linebackers they apparently wanted was drafted between their original pick and their new pick. I actually like the JT pick but I liked the Ian Thomas pick too and, welp... Even if the results end up different, the methodology is very much the same.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Opinion is a little split on how fast Legette, Brooks, Wallace and Sanders grow into actual players but I trust Morgan with Kuechly to find a linebacker and both Legette and Sanders are good receivers who are athletic enough to contribute right away.

Panthers were below replacement level last year at wide receiver, running back and tight end and badly needed defensive depth. They hit every single one of those needs. The argument is just around whether or not you believe in the guys they picked at this point - who cares, we'll know in 6 months.

No, we won't find out in 6 months. If everyone is bad in 6 months then we'll have to give them all a pass because we know the problem is the 5'10" elephant in the room.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

zimbomonkey posted:

Yes, those were the obvious picks though. Most picks they could have made had several positions of need. But they traded up to take a leggette, who I'm not entirely sold on especially with some of the other receivers they passed on. They didn't do anything more to address the line and I'm not a big fan of the plan to start Corbett at center. They traded up in the second to draft a running back with injury history and the team they traded with took another great running back with their original pick. Then they took a physical tools/upside linebacker in the third like DJ Allen last year (that worked out great!) who is all projection right now. Also they had to panic trade up for him because they traded back and one of the two linebackers they apparently wanted was drafted between their original pick and their new pick. I actually like the JT pick but I liked the Ian Thomas pick too and, welp... Even if the results end up different, the methodology is very much the same.

yea the two trade ups were unnecessary and I do not like the LB pick at all. Idk who in their front office keeps picking dudes who have no instincts to play a position entirely predicated on instinctual play

the actual players they got i feel fine about (outside the LB) for those first few picks. i do think this draft did nothing to solve the issue that they gutted the defense in the offseason by trading or letting dudes walk. from where im sitting the defense got a lot worse and got not real answers in the draft but the offense should be something resembling normal if they get average production from these guys (assuming tiny qb can play at a backup level)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
oof

https://x.com/JeffDuncan_/status/1784296782463176945

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

Legette is a box out athlete with good long speed, he's a lot like Devante Adams was coming out and he got compared a lot to guys like DK Metcalf, he's a little raw at the technical aspects of the position, but he still high points well, out runs guys and has great hands / body control. He's a well built, strong receiver and he produced against guys who got drafted. I think Legette was really underrated.

The running back had a torn ACL but he had under 250 carries in college. There's not really much to worry about with injuries there. Everyone panics with knees and that's fine, but it's not like the guy had dozens of injuries and fell because of it. I don't rate Corbett either but they did replace the starting guards in free agency, Moton is fine and we weren't getting a LT upgrade. Brady Christensen has also been getting some reps at centre in the OTAs - so the coaching staff might like their options there more than we know.

JT is a very different prospect to Ian Thomas, he's a lot faster and a lot more athletically gifted. He's very smooth, he's just not very well rounded, but again the type of guy he is, he will be a solid contributor. Just might never be elite. Either way again - the position needed an upgrade and we got the best available guy at the spot when we picked.

zimbomonkey posted:

No, we won't find out in 6 months. If everyone is bad in 6 months then we'll have to give them all a pass because we know the problem is the 5'10" elephant in the room.

Even if Bryce retired tomorrow we needed upgrades at WR, RB and TE and we at least took at swing at all three.

Panthers were awful at several spots offensively and defensively the team chose to build the offense first this year. I don't mind the strategy. We were the worst team in the NFL, we need depth, we need options. They got 'em. No need to write the draft class off before they play a down.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Panthers were awful at several spots offensively and defensively the team chose to build the offense first this year. I don't mind the strategy. We were the worst team in the NFL, we need depth, we need options. They got 'em. No need to write the draft class off before they play a down.

I'm tired of hearing this logic every year. You could pick a random position from a hat and odds are the Panthers needed it. The job isn't to draft players at positions of need, it's to draft the most and best players at positions of need, to get value, and to build a good team. The Panthers have not done that with the same methodology they've used the last few years, I don't know why we should expect it to work now.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

I'm tired of hearing this logic every year. You could pick a random position from a hat and odds are the Panthers needed it. The job isn't to draft players at positions of need, it's to draft the most and best players at positions of need, to get value, and to build a good team. The Panthers have not done that with the same methodology they've used the last few years, I don't know why we should expect it to work now.

It's not the same methodology because its both a new coaching staff with a new system and a new general manager. They didn't do what they've done in years past.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
that's it, y'all non-saints teams wrap it up and go home

https://x.com/PFF/status/1784369436197028019

Also

https://x.com/NFL_Memes/status/1784224101189509224

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 28, 2024

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

It's not the same methodology because its both a new coaching staff with a new system and a new general manager. They didn't do what they've done in years past.

The General Manager was the right hand man of the last guy! We have seen nothing to indicate that he is going to do anything differently than the way things have already been done. poo poo, for all we know he was the one driving things the whole time anyway.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

The question is, were they like that before 28-3, or did 28-3 make them like that?

Either way: lol

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
28-3 would have broken anyone's brain.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I watched so many blown Saints leads as a kid I think I just would have ended up with Terminal Told You So Face

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

GD_American posted:

I watched so many blown Saints leads as a kid I think I just would have ended up with Terminal Told You So Face

I dunno, that uncalled PI in the NFCG ruined more than a few people's brains.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

The General Manager was the right hand man of the last guy! We have seen nothing to indicate that he is going to do anything differently than the way things have already been done. poo poo, for all we know he was the one driving things the whole time anyway.

Im still not sure what your objection here is?

We're married to Bryce for at least another year.

We were the worst roster in the nfl. Our interior line, wide receiver group, tight end group and running back group were among the worst in the NFL and needed investment. There was no depth anywhere on defenss.

They went out and traded for the best WR on the block, they signed the best two free agent guards, they got something for a player who wanted out and then signed a stop gap replacement.

They then drafted receiver, running back, tight end and some defensive depth.

We needed flankers who can get to places on the field and outbox guys outside. Canales has used these kind of players in Seattle and Tampa. Morgan acquired him 3.

The team needed someone to provide some juice in the run game so they got a big play threat. The line needed to get better, it got upgraded.

If the panthers can somehow sign Gilmore they've at least addressed the secondary as well with another piece.

I get not trusting the panthers to get it right. Because track record says they won't but I can't fault the effort or the scheme fits so far?

I really don't know how you look at this offseason so far and don't at least think it's par.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shinji2015 posted:

The question is, were they like that before 28-3, or did 28-3 make them like that?

Either way: lol

I wasn't shocked in the least and actually laughed.

I had been broken long before by the Falcons.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

zimbomonkey posted:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

No they’re not. This is something you keep repeating ad nauseum and it’s just as incorrect as every other assessment you’ve made of him since he was drafted by the panthers.

After the panthers win maybe 3 games and Bryce looks terrible, all of us know it’ll magically turn to “well you gotta give him a second year with the same head coach” or “well the offensive line didn’t gel” or some other half assed excuse intended kick the can of you finally saying you were wrong the entire time for another year.

You have become the mcmagic of panthers fans.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
I know it's late but I just wanted to voice my hatred of the Falcons in their home thread. First they let 28-3 happen and now they ruin my team's draft by taking our QB only to probably have him sit on the bench until he's almost 30 years old because they just signed a pretty good QB to a massive contract.

gently caress the Falcons, they deserve every bit of misfortune that comes their way

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Black Sunshine posted:

I know it's late but I just wanted to voice my hatred of the Falcons in their home thread. First they let 28-3 happen and now they ruin my team's draft by taking our QB only to probably have him sit on the bench until he's almost 30 years old because they just signed a pretty good QB to a massive contract.

gently caress the Falcons, they deserve every bit of misfortune that comes their way

Lol at taking your qb

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tampa is ok but St Pete is better

St Pete was really awesome. I loved the Pier

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Awful lot of Penix envy in this thread.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Im still not sure what your objection here is?

See what Fiz said. Next year's qb class is awful so I guess gee shucks, we're married to Bryce for another year! Also can you blame him, his tackles were bad/defense didn't keep them in games and he had to push/whatever the trendy excuse is.

BlindSite posted:

We were the worst roster in the nfl. Our interior line, wide receiver group, tight end group and running back group were among the worst in the NFL and needed investment. There was no depth anywhere on defenss.

And who constructed that roster, especially the players drafted in the last few years? Who decided on, or at least agreed to, all of those draft picks that made up the core of the worst roster in the NFL? Could it be... the guy that took the GM job after working under the GM? Seems likely.

BlindSite posted:

They went out and traded for the best WR on the block, they signed the best two free agent guards, they got something for a player who wanted out and then signed a stop gap replacement.

They landed a decent wide receiver. They did that last year too and it didn't amount to poo poo. The two guards are something but there's a glaring hole at center for the 9 games Corbett is injured. As long as they addressed that in the draft I would have felt better.

BlindSite posted:

They then drafted receiver, running back, tight end and some defensive depth.

Yes, a toddler could have done those things. The trick is finding the right people. Is trading up for an RB that blew out his ACL smart? I wouldn't say so. Was Leggette the best receiver on the board when they picked, especially for a QB with no deep ball? I wouldn't say so. Was the defensive depth they drafted at a good place? I wouldn't say so- the third round had a few players that might have been able to start on our roster. Instead they drafted another project who will in all likelihood occupy the same role as the last project. The sanders pick was the best of the draft and an example of the team actually making the obviously correct choice.

BlindSite posted:

If the panthers can somehow sign Gilmore they've at least addressed the secondary as well with another piece.

This is true but we can't grade on ifs, can we?

BlindSite posted:

I get not trusting the panthers to get it right. Because track record says they won't but I can't fault the effort or the scheme fits so far?

I really don't know how you look at this offseason so far and don't at least think it's par.

Look at what par for this team has been under Tepper. I don't want par. Par for this team is not a level that will ever be good enough to compete in the NFL. Par for this team is utterly loving depressing. It's a level of consistent awfulness in the Panthers front office and ownership that I have never experienced in my life.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

:drat:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

da bucs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Remember that Jon Bois video about the most consistent teams in the NFL on a year by year basis and the punchline was that the Panthers were so wildly inconsistent that them going to the playoffs one year guaranteed they would suck rear end the next year and vice versa

Well Tepper fixed that i guess