Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

X.com links don't auto embed, you have to manually change it to saying twitter.com because the stupidest man alive owns that site now

https://twitter.com/daringantt/status/1690419908008419328?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cam Jordan montage in the preseason game

https://twitter.com/DraftKings/status/1690784901216219136

First team looked good, and then got taken off the field immediately so there's still over a half to go but no real reason to watch the rest.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The Saints just beat the Super Bowl champions in their first game. :smug:

Hell yeah.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Not a whole lot to report from the Panthers' snoozefest this weekend, but a few quick takeaways cause why not:

-The first-team OL's performance was utterly horrific, and a couple of our backups should absolutely never see the field again (it blows my mind that Michael Jordan managed to survive the regime change and is still on this roster, because holy poo poo WHY). On one hand, the Jets' DL is probably the best this team will see all year, and is a deep unit as well; on the other, the OL still needs to clean up a lot and quickly for Young's sake. Not panicking about this because it's preseason and the line was pretty decent last year, but yeah, that was still ugly as hell to watch.

-Speaking of, I liked what little we saw of Young. He seemed quick and decisive but also careful with the ball, and shrugged off some big hits. The offensive gameplan, such as it was, was the most vanilla poo poo I've ever seen, so between that and the OL getting blown off the ball two seconds after every snap, he didn't really have an opportunity to make explosive plays. The foundation looks like it's there, though.

-Holy poo poo, there is absolutely no depth in the RB room. I've never been a huge Hubbard fan and he showed me nothing as the lead back with Sanders sitting out, so from where I'm sitting, we need to pray Sanders stays healthy and can be a workhorse back. (Spencer Brown had some nice moments, but has that feel of "preseason standout who doesn't actually do anything.") Maybe I'm just weirdly down on this unit or something, but we could end up missing D'Onta Foreman more than D.J. Moore.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

RumbleFish posted:

Not a whole lot to report from the Panthers' snoozefest this weekend, but a few quick takeaways cause why not:

-The first-team OL's performance was utterly horrific, and a couple of our backups should absolutely never see the field again (it blows my mind that Michael Jordan managed to survive the regime change and is still on this roster, because holy poo poo WHY). On one hand, the Jets' DL is probably the best this team will see all year, and is a deep unit as well; on the other, the OL still needs to clean up a lot and quickly for Young's sake. Not panicking about this because it's preseason and the line was pretty decent last year, but yeah, that was still ugly as hell to watch.

-Speaking of, I liked what little we saw of Young. He seemed quick and decisive but also careful with the ball, and shrugged off some big hits. The offensive gameplan, such as it was, was the most vanilla poo poo I've ever seen, so between that and the OL getting blown off the ball two seconds after every snap, he didn't really have an opportunity to make explosive plays. The foundation looks like it's there, though.

-Holy poo poo, there is absolutely no depth in the RB room. I've never been a huge Hubbard fan and he showed me nothing as the lead back with Sanders sitting out, so from where I'm sitting, we need to pray Sanders stays healthy and can be a workhorse back. (Spencer Brown had some nice moments, but has that feel of "preseason standout who doesn't actually do anything.") Maybe I'm just weirdly down on this unit or something, but we could end up missing D'Onta Foreman more than D.J. Moore.

-OL performance is a little concerning because it reminded me of the '21 season where we were bottom of the league bad, which is uh, a problem when we have a short rookie QB. If Bryce ends up being good, then the last thing I wanna see is a bad OL. Tua and Burrow are prime examples of why that's a problem. But as you said, preseason, take with a grain of salt, etc.

-I know RBs are severely undervalued rn, but not resigning Foreman baffled me. He put in work last year

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Panthers should just sign Zeke or Fournette. Hubbard is cheeks.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

No matter the owner/GM/coach, it seems, the Panthers have an impossibly hard time moving on from guys who have been demonstrably terrible because...consistency? Or something? There's no reason guys like Chuba Hubbard, Ian Thomas, Michael Jordan, etc. should still be on this roster when we just cleaned house, yet here they are. I promise we don't need to keep running it back multiple years on the extremely slim chance one of these dudes suddenly comes on, there are better uses of those roster spots. "Carolina Panthers role player" has to be one of the most secure jobs in the NFL.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 14, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

RumbleFish posted:

No matter the owner/GM/coach, it seems, the Panthers have an impossibly hard time moving on from guys who have been demonstrably terrible because...consistency? Or something? There's no reason guys like Chuba Hubbard, Ian Thomas, Michael Jordan, etc. should still be on this roster when we just cleaned house, yet here they are. I promise we don't need to keep running it back multiple years on the extremely slim chance one of these dudes suddenly comes on, there are better uses of those roster spots. "Carolina Panthers role player" has to be one of the most secure jobs in the NFL.

I think it’s because they don’t want to get locked into a bunch of dead cap by paying someone talented big money and having them get hurt in week three.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

I think it’s because they don’t want to get locked into a bunch of dead cap by paying someone talented big money and having them get hurt in week three.

And I can sympathize with that to a degree, but the guys I'm talking about aren't even NFL-caliber players. We don't need expensive talent to replace them, just depth pieces who can actually play a little and don't catastrophically gently caress up on every snap. Continuing to play someone like Jordan, for example, is rolling the dice with Young's health, and that's a much more expensive mistake than just finding someone who won't consistently get yeeted into the quarterback.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tbh all I care about this year is Bryce and him being protected. One of the two looked good in limited action at least.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Popped up in my feed that terrace Marshall got carted off today. Hope he's OK.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Popped up in my feed that terrace Marshall got carted off today. Hope he's OK.

Rode off in the cart after pulling something in his back. Precautionary.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Rode off in the cart after pulling something in his back. Precautionary.

Cheers mate. Was hoping it was training camp precaution and not like. Season.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
With the news tonight, one of the few times I'll say Go Georgia!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

just one more thing people in georgia will be paying more attention to than the Falcons

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I think the media team is trying to lighten Coach's image.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8NxLmT7/

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In a shocking turn of events Russel Gage probably blew his knee out today at practice

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Joey Freshwater posted:

In a shocking turn of events Russel Gage probably blew his knee out today at practice

Yeah, it's a bad one.

https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status/1691862650840379467?s=20

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yeah ESPN just confirmed season ending

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
welp, thanks for everything Gage. rip to those glass legs

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The offense is very limited right now (and I have no idea why ickey is struggling so badly) but you really can see Bryce out there figuring poo poo out.

I don’t know if I’m just a victim of narratives or whatever.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FizFashizzle posted:

The offense is very limited right now (and I have no idea why ickey is struggling so badly) but you really can see Bryce out there figuring poo poo out.

I'm usually of the mind that playing well in preseason doesn't mean anything (hi 0-16 Lions), but you would still prefer the team to not look like poo poo. They're playing vanilla as hell game plans, and didn't play Sanders/Houston/Burns/Brown, so I'll just be over here huffing some copium.

Matt Corral is absolutely poo poo though.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

I'm usually of the mind that playing well in preseason doesn't mean anything (hi 0-16 Lions), but you would still prefer the team to not look like poo poo. They're playing vanilla as hell game plans, and didn't play Sanders/Houston/Burns/Brown, so I'll just be over here huffing some copium.

Matt Corral is absolutely poo poo though.

:hmmyes: to all of this

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
What the hell, Jimmy?

https://www.tmz.com/2023/08/19/jimmy-graham-arrested-new-orleans-saints-wandering-in-traffic-resisting/

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1692931380903084410

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

he was trying to find a pickup game

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Synthetic marijuana

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Saints say it was a seizure.

https://twitter.com/ByLukeJohnson/status/1692941353838133702?s=20

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
poo poo, they still think they're having this preseason game huh?

https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/1692944399217426934

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PostNouveau posted:

poo poo, they still think they're having this preseason game huh?

https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/1692944399217426934
Why wouldnt they?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Why wouldnt they?

I think the hurricane turned right a bit so it won't be as bad for LA (worse for Baja). I dunno better safe than sorry in these situations though?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I think the hurricane turned right a bit so it won't be as bad for LA (worse for Baja). I dunno better safe than sorry in these situations though?

Oh, that's right.

There's an irony in the Saints heading to the West Coast just in time for a hurricane there

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PostNouveau posted:

Oh, I'm on the east coast and my wife is at the beach so I've been toddler wranglin' solo since Thursday so I had no idea about the weather news on the west coast.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
isnt it something like the first time ever there's been a tropical storm warning for SoCal?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Fate Accomplice posted:

he was trying to find a pickup game

oh, does he play basketball?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

isnt it something like the first time ever there's been a tropical storm warning for SoCal?

Yeah, poo poo is crazy. Hopefully it won't adversely affect too many people.

In other news, the TFF NFCS Dynasty league has been reactivated for year 6! If you were involved last year, your spot is secure! If anyone wishes to join, we could accommodate two new teams easily enough. Link to thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039835

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

GD_American posted:

oh, does he play basketball?

this woulda been his first time

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I feel like you can't get a gauge of Bryce until the offensive line unfucks itself. Which tbh is surprising. Last year toward the back end the offensive line had really turned a corner but that was also during the period that McAdoo was going very run heavy in the game plan and Deonte Foreman was just crashing into motherfuckers for the first 20 plays and designed runs to Darnold or whatever. There's a good chance that the full offensive cast being on the field sees a more balanced and effective game plan and the line starts playing better. I also did notice that a few of the mistakes on the offensive line seem to either be bad reads or bad protection calls - where someone just attempted to block the wrong person. There was one really bad one where Icky just completely wiffed his hand placement and got beat for speed - but I'd say 2/3rds of the poo poo play can be chalked up to the line just not being on the same page or just not making the right call which says to me its a fixable problem, whereas if guys are making the right decision and then just getting wrecked for pace or technique you can well and truly be worried.

Big concern though.

I expect some normal rookie poo poo from Bryce, he's going to have up and down days as a rookie, but he's shown the right things for my mind - ball placement has been good even if there's been some disconnect with the receivers and their routes etc - he's looking off coverage he's choosing the right options at the right time. He also is showing the same stuff he did in college in terms of pocket awareness, he moves well, he doesn't get hit clean, definitely has a live arm for his size at NFL speed - so I'm actually not really worried about Young. I think the bones have shown in his play that he's what we thought he was when he drafted in terms of floor - whether or not he has the higher level abilities to lead game winning drives in big games etc will be revealed in time.

It's a hard gauge really. I think it looks like a team with an offensive line that has a lot of work ahead to come together with a rookie in at QB.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

BlindSite posted:

I feel like you can't get a gauge of Bryce until the offensive line unfucks itself. Which tbh is surprising. Last year toward the back end the offensive line had really turned a corner but that was also during the period that McAdoo was going very run heavy in the game plan and Deonte Foreman was just crashing into motherfuckers for the first 20 plays and designed runs to Darnold or whatever. There's a good chance that the full offensive cast being on the field sees a more balanced and effective game plan and the line starts playing better. I also did notice that a few of the mistakes on the offensive line seem to either be bad reads or bad protection calls - where someone just attempted to block the wrong person. There was one really bad one where Icky just completely wiffed his hand placement and got beat for speed - but I'd say 2/3rds of the poo poo play can be chalked up to the line just not being on the same page or just not making the right call which says to me its a fixable problem, whereas if guys are making the right decision and then just getting wrecked for pace or technique you can well and truly be worried.

Big concern though.

I expect some normal rookie poo poo from Bryce, he's going to have up and down days as a rookie, but he's shown the right things for my mind - ball placement has been good even if there's been some disconnect with the receivers and their routes etc - he's looking off coverage he's choosing the right options at the right time. He also is showing the same stuff he did in college in terms of pocket awareness, he moves well, he doesn't get hit clean, definitely has a live arm for his size at NFL speed - so I'm actually not really worried about Young. I think the bones have shown in his play that he's what we thought he was when he drafted in terms of floor - whether or not he has the higher level abilities to lead game winning drives in big games etc will be revealed in time.

It's a hard gauge really. I think it looks like a team with an offensive line that has a lot of work ahead to come together with a rookie in at QB.

Probably some truth to getting a real RB in the game will help. No need to worry about the run with Hubbard since he thinks 2-hand touch means he's down.

That said, I'm a big Ickey fan but he just forgot to loving block the edge rusher during one of the plays.

three fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well that was unexpected breaking news.

https://twitter.com/DMoutonWWL/status/1693386092568027451

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 21, 2023