Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Falcons flying under the radar, gonna sink talons in some folks this year.

I dunno, it seems like there's been a lot of pundit talk about them being a dark horse division winner -- which I don't personally understand -- but I've seen a good amount of folks expecting either the Falcons or Saints to take the division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Not a whole lot to report from the Panthers' snoozefest this weekend, but a few quick takeaways cause why not:

-The first-team OL's performance was utterly horrific, and a couple of our backups should absolutely never see the field again (it blows my mind that Michael Jordan managed to survive the regime change and is still on this roster, because holy poo poo WHY). On one hand, the Jets' DL is probably the best this team will see all year, and is a deep unit as well; on the other, the OL still needs to clean up a lot and quickly for Young's sake. Not panicking about this because it's preseason and the line was pretty decent last year, but yeah, that was still ugly as hell to watch.

-Speaking of, I liked what little we saw of Young. He seemed quick and decisive but also careful with the ball, and shrugged off some big hits. The offensive gameplan, such as it was, was the most vanilla poo poo I've ever seen, so between that and the OL getting blown off the ball two seconds after every snap, he didn't really have an opportunity to make explosive plays. The foundation looks like it's there, though.

-Holy poo poo, there is absolutely no depth in the RB room. I've never been a huge Hubbard fan and he showed me nothing as the lead back with Sanders sitting out, so from where I'm sitting, we need to pray Sanders stays healthy and can be a workhorse back. (Spencer Brown had some nice moments, but has that feel of "preseason standout who doesn't actually do anything.") Maybe I'm just weirdly down on this unit or something, but we could end up missing D'Onta Foreman more than D.J. Moore.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

No matter the owner/GM/coach, it seems, the Panthers have an impossibly hard time moving on from guys who have been demonstrably terrible because...consistency? Or something? There's no reason guys like Chuba Hubbard, Ian Thomas, Michael Jordan, etc. should still be on this roster when we just cleaned house, yet here they are. I promise we don't need to keep running it back multiple years on the extremely slim chance one of these dudes suddenly comes on, there are better uses of those roster spots. "Carolina Panthers role player" has to be one of the most secure jobs in the NFL.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 14, 2023

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

I think it’s because they don’t want to get locked into a bunch of dead cap by paying someone talented big money and having them get hurt in week three.

And I can sympathize with that to a degree, but the guys I'm talking about aren't even NFL-caliber players. We don't need expensive talent to replace them, just depth pieces who can actually play a little and don't catastrophically gently caress up on every snap. Continuing to play someone like Jordan, for example, is rolling the dice with Young's health, and that's a much more expensive mistake than just finding someone who won't consistently get yeeted into the quarterback.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

People wanted to dunk all over the Panthers when Mayfield had that miraculous comeback with the Rams the week we released him, but the truth is that he isn't some secret stud just waiting to be unlocked; he's just capable of a nice performance every now and again. I had high hopes for him in Carolina, but after a certain point, a guy who coulda-woulda-shoulda'd if maybe his offensive coordinators, or his receivers, or his [fill in the blank here] were different is just...not actually very good.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 23, 2023

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I think we should all just be thankful that Carson Wentz hasn't made his way to the NFCS.

Oh yeah, Wentz is absolutely the most NFCS quarterback who does not (currently) play in the NFCS.

ozymandius1024 posted:

That's the chance you take with a dude that's averaged 8 games started a year for his career so far.

He's at least on a one-year deal, so the front office wasn't betting big on him or anything, but yeah. Little unfortunate that he seems to be Young's go-to guy and is already injured.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

On the other hand, Matt Rhule

I'm not trying to make excuses for the guy, but if you compare McVay to Rhule...

I mean, sure -- and I'll poo poo on Rhule faster than anybody -- but if even McVay couldn't make Mayfield into something serviceable, there's probably not much to work with.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

three posted:

The thing that really stood out to me is he just isn't a very good thrower. Balls were poorly placed, weak, wrong trajectories, etc.

And that's not even getting into the absolutely ridiculous amount of batted passes at the line of scrimmage. That oddly seemed like a far worse problem for him in Carolina than anywhere else, but still.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Thank loving god Jordan is out of here, that's the cut I wanted to see the most.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I'm not in panic mode about the Burns situation just yet, but I can't say I love the optics of it so far. Hoping we wrap this thing up today/tomorrow and all move on with our lives.

zimbomonkey posted:

I will forever be mad that in a draft with Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham Jr, Mike Evans and Davante Adams the Panthers ended up with Kelvin Benjamin as their first round pick.

Gettleman was the worst with the "you can't teach tall" mindset (see also: Funchess, Devin). Benjamin at least had a really nice rookie year, but the dude was ultimately just too used to out-bigging DBs and had no real interest in route running and the other technical aspects of the receiver position. Frustrating for sure.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

It's really unfortunate that it took giving up our best receiver to have a chance at a quarterback who isn't dogshit, which means said quarterback has no receivers :v: Might change my mind depending on how this season goes, but I'd love to see us prioritize WR in next year's draft.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I wasn't able to watch any of the game yesterday, so I'm curious about y'all's thoughts on Bryce Young. Judging from social media, etc., Panthers fans either think he looked pretty good with a couple unfortunate rookie mistakes or was an absolute dogshit pick at No. 1 and we're hosed. It's entirely too early to judge, of course, but I'm looking for the goon takes.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Don't see any chance at a win until we play the Texans in Week 7, and even then...

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

GD_American posted:

Bryce Young is literally two games into his career and Panthers fans could not possibly be funnier to watch right now

I think our fans are just very spoiled when it comes to having a rookie quarterback who enters the league and immediately sets it on fire. Bryce isn't Cam, and that's okay, because the vast majority of quarterbacks aren't! Things are really hard to judge right now with key injuries, lack of skill talent, and boring playcalls.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Olave was the only interesting thing about that game as far as offense went and he bailed Carr out last night. Game would have been even more dire to watch otherwise

Yeah, there isn't a single player on Carolina's roster who could've made the type of play Olave did. Bryce is very much not in the position where he can be propped up by a supporting cast. Thielen seems like the only WR who can consistently get separation and he's pretty much just a slant king at this point in his career, so yeah, that doesn't bode well for having a dynamic, multidimensional offense.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

the bryce young experiment is over in carolina

who's next

calling the panthers front office to demand we trade Young to trade up for Drake Maye

I'm sure this was hyperbole, but I'm not sold on Maye as a prospect, and I say that as someone who actually cares about UNC football. He's good, no doubt, but it just feels like Trubisky 2.0 to me, I dunno.

I'll maintain that Bryce isn't as bad as he's sometimes looked, thanks to a banged up OL, terrible WR corps, and nonexistent running game. He's made some dumb decisions, to be sure, but he didn't step into a plug-and-play offense. I think his best comp right now is Tua, and the Panthers need to similarly buy in and surround him with dope skill talent.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Hindsight is a bitch for sure. If we could do it all again, I'd probably have kept CMC and Moore and shipped Burns for the ransom the Rams offered, but those moves weren't necessarily wrong at the time (except for maybe Moore, because he was the only top-shelf starter we had at WR and our offseason moves weren't enough to compensate). In regard to Burns, elite pass rushers don't grow on trees and it's a must to get to the quarterback in the modern NFL, but you also can't succeed in the modern NFL without a couple stud wideouts. Pretty tough bind for the Panthers, specifically, to be in.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

It's lovely talent evaluation first and foremost and then lovely coaching second!

Yep. Coaching has been a problem, no doubt, but the Panthers just cannot hit on any picks outside of the first round and it shows. It feels like every week I see random WR4/WR5s for other teams making huge plays, and we can't even get second-rounder Terrace Marshall Jr. to resemble anything remotely productive. (Some of the guys we've traded for are garbage too, like how we're still trying to pretend CJ Henderson brings anything other than DPI flags and 2-3 explosive pass plays given up per game.) Carolina's dealing with an absolutely horrible run of injuries right now, but the biggest reason it's crippled the team is because we have no functional depth.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Ickey has been a procedural penalty machine this season, no idea what's up with that. Wouldn't surprise me if other teams have started keying in on it -- it definitely felt like Seattle was just feasting on him after a point.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Panthers had the perfect opportunity to make up some ground in the division and of course did not.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, it's incredibly frustrating, and it's showing in crowd attendance. Carolina has never had the greatest home crowd, but there was a ton of purple in the crowd today. I imagine that's what a lot of home games are going to look like going forward. People don't want to watch this poo poo, it's not even funny to watch. It's boring.

This is the biggest sin, honestly -- at least be interesting and entertaining when you lose, goddamn. The Hornets have managed to accomplish this; the Panthers can too. poo poo, we were still pretty bad in the early Cam years, but it was always worth tuning in to see what he would do, what Luke would do, etc. We have no interesting or entertaining faces of the franchise right now, so that and the lack of draft excitement means it's just a miserable slog.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Panthers needed an offensively-focused mind at head coach and they were right to go in that direction, but unfortunately we managed to hire a stubborn, conservative dinosaur once again, just on the other side of the spectrum.

FizFashizzle posted:

I know we rush to conclusions with QBs but Bryce is looking just like Clausen.

And it’s not just the offense or wide receivers. He also struggles with deep ball placement. He’s maybe thrown six all year and one of them were particularly close or even in bounds.

I don't really want to make that comparison yet, because boy is that a rough one to put on somebody, but the energy around the franchise/fan base is definitely Jimmy Clausen Era depression.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

I can't imagine how things are going to look by Week 10:

Week 5: @Lions
Week 6: @Dolphins
Week 7: Bye
Week 8: Texans
Week 9: Colts
Week 10: @Bears

No way are we beating Detroit or Miami, but if the Panthers are winless after that stretch, things are going to be brutal. Losing to both of the QBs we passed up and the current worst organization in the league will probably cause most of the fanbase to check out, if they're not already

Yeah, much like Jimmy Clausen's tenure, my ceiling for this team is two wins. We can probably scrounge one or two up, particularly toward the end of the season when other teams are resting starters and focused on bigger things, but that's about as good as it'll get, barring some insanely fortuitous turnaround.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

What's unfortunate is that I believe if Dalton had started the Vikings and Saints games, those are likely Ws. It's true Young has next to nothing to work with, but Dalton's experience and comfort running an offense puts him in the position to maximize what little we DO have. I know this year is all about development and not wins -- that's been the case since we drafted Young -- but it's also a bit of bummer to watch winnable games slip by, especially when tanking won't get us a killer first-round pick.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

three posted:

Can we also address how awful Miles Sanders is?

I never thought I'd think someone would make Chuba Hubbard look like a star. Hell, even Shenault is a better RB.

I can't express how hilarious it is that Hubbard and Shenault were dominating the run game then Reich abandoned it and leaned on Sanders, too.

Yeah, I don't understand how and why Shenault isn't used more often; the guy is a versatile player who, if nothing else, deserves more of a chance in this offense. I don't think Sanders is BAD, per se, but he's definitely used to dancing around behind a far superior offensive line and having the time to pick his spots, which is uhhh, very much not the case in Carolina.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Since we're talking about touchdown passes bouncing off faces, regular reminder that I hate Ian Thomas so much. The absolute biggest bum that we just refuse to get rid of, even after a regime change. He wouldn't be employed anywhere but in Carolina, I swear.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Where's the Panthers' race to 0-17 thread? Because yeah, that's in play.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Certainly Bryce should wear some of the blame for our dysfunction, but I just don't know how you look at this dogshit offensive scheme, dogshit receivers, dogshit running game, and dogshit offensive line and land on "The problem here is Bryce Young." Dalton had a solid performance at Seattle, yes, but the Seahawks were also missing most of their secondary and he's also, y'know, not a rookie. I truly don't see how any QB could find sustained success with the Panthers at present.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Can't remember where I saw this (otherwise I'd link it), but Trevor Lawrence's stats through his first 10 games are almost identical to Bryce. The question is whether Tepper has the will to pull the plug and attempt to rescue the guy like the Jags did. And on that note, it's kind of insane how impatient Tepper has been with CLTFC relative to how much he's just let the Panthers spiral. Keep that same energy man, what the gently caress.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

LET'S GOOOOO

Fitterer next plz, firing Reicht will only go so far without that also happening.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

I think the issue is that he put up his typical statline (under 6 YPA, maybe one TD, maybe a turnover) while his RB put up 100 yards, and against a team that didn't have linebackers.

The OL is godawful, the coaching is not good on the offense, but he doesn't look like a guy who can put the team on his back.

The problem is that asking a rookie, of all players, to "put the team on his back" when he has braindead playcallers, no offensive line, and recovers incapable of getting separation is...kind of a big ask. Bryce is struggling, no doubt about it, but the other things are true too, and I'm struggling to see which current NFL quarterback WOULD be balling out in this scenario.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Kirios posted:

You realize you’re stuck with Bowles now right

All part of the plan, just playing the long game here...

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Panthers goons....

We're free

Our season was over in like, Week 2, so this was a long-suffering ride to the finish. And now we don't even have draftchat to look forward to, lmao. Football hell is really something.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Absolutely, but if Evero wanted out I wouldn't blame him

I think it's more that we have some really good pieces on defense, so even if Evero bounces, a new DC has plenty to work with. We were third in total defense in the league like two weeks ago, lol, and I don't think we ever fell out of the top 10. Amazing considering our record.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

loving finally. I don't know anything about available GM candidates, but that firing needed to happen in the worst way.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The weird thing about Tepper's coaching/staffing decisions thus far is that most of those moves were broadly praised when they happened, and it's largely hindsight that makes them look so bad. Rhule was seen as a gamble, to be sure, but he was known as a program builder and it was thus also seen as a novel, swashbuckling, out-of-the-box approach (and when it became clear that the experiment had failed, Tepper still brought him back for another season, so the "quick to fire/impatient" tag is kind of inaccurate as well). Fitterer was seen as a great get because of his time scouting/building successful rosters in Seattle, Reich was viewed as a bit risky but brought an enormously experienced, respected, and all-star staff that had the Panthers near the top of "best offseason" lists...I don't think any of these decisions were viewed as horrifying at the time (at least not universally), it's just that absolutely none of them panned out. Even now, no one would ever argue that we should've kept Rivera, Rhule, Hurney, Reich, or Fitterer, so the Panthers have been making the right calls in that regard, they just can't seem to push the right buttons with their replacements.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 24, 2024

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Hiring Rhule is by far Tepper's riskiest move and there were certainly skeptics, but there really was also a measure of hype. With Tepper being a big dick hedge fund gazillionaire and Rhule having rescued two absolutely moribund college programs, a lot of pundits saw it as an intriguing high risk, high reward scenario that was operating from a fresh perspective compared to the NFL norm. Turns out some NFL norms very much exist for a reason, but yeah, that hire was not universally panned when it happened.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

I'm going to be really bummed if this means Evero is gone.

I'm really hoping we hang onto him somehow, and I've seen rumors of our FO wanting that too, but who knows. A Canales-Evero pairing would be rad.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I like the Canales hire, and as previously mentioned, I'll like it even more if Evero stays on. I'm just not gonna like, pop bottles because this team has been a crushing disappointment for six years and I know better than to get excited before seeing results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

zimbomonkey posted:

Tepper has been blocking every interview for his coordinators. I think he's just petty.

Evero has had multiple interviews. I'm hoping that because we haven't made any defensive staff moves yet, that means Evero will be back on our sideline if Washington/Seattle don't offer him the job. Seems like we're kinda waiting on that decision right now and building our offensive staff in the meantime.