Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

three posted:

He played a heavy part in hiring one of the worst head coaches in the history of the game, ruined the field conditions for his lovely MLS team which led to getting a grievance by the NFLPA, screwed the city of Rock Hill, and most egregiously: replaced Pepsi with Coke in the stadium.

Why are you buying soda at a football game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Some people don’t drink? And even children have taste

Not if they enjoy Pepsi they don't.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

Pepsi was invented in North Carolina. This is blasphemy

Just goes to show you that nothing invented in North Carolina is ever worth a poo poo

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

Agreed, give Ohio credit for planes

Yes, as a North Carolinian born and raised I think it's bullshit that we take credit for something that was built in another state by residents of that state and just brought here because we had better wind.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

if i were an 11-5 team playing a 7-9 team in the playoffs i would simply win the game against the bad team, but maybe i'm just built different

anyway baker time babey woo

The Seahawks stadium is a cheat code though

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I will forever be mad that in a draft with Jarvis Landry, Odell Beckham Jr, Mike Evans and Davante Adams the Panthers ended up with Kelvin Benjamin as their first round pick.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Yeah who the gently caress needs wide receivers when we've got all these guys that are good but prone to injury? Surely they won't all get hurt at once right??

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

If you don't trust Ridder to throw on 3rd and five why are you entering the season with him as your starter?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I'm not ready to say Bryce is bad but boy he feels really teddy bridgwater-y

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Zavala always felt to me like a guy that was pretty good at everything but overlooked because he wasn't the best at anything. Getting him in the fourth was an absolute steal in my opinion.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The number of tackles brown ends up making down the field is kind of absurd. Like he'll be rushing the passer who hits a tunnel screen and then suddenly he is hitting the receiver 7 yards down the field

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

But he's so good at ~processing~

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Richardson has a concussion and a knee or something right now and Rodgers Achilles detonated. Both those lads are over 6ft. It's not his size that got his ankle caught up when a dlineman tackled him.

Oh I don't blame his size at all to be clear, I'm just tired of hearing about how great Bryce's "processing" is when I haven't yet found a single play where it really seems to make a positive difference. Even the descriptions of what "processing" means seem to change from week to week. Is it being good at reading plays before the snap? Every time Bryce audibles it seems like the resulting play gains two yards at most. Is it being able to read the field quickly and find an open receiver? It seems like he's good at doing that when he gets time and there is an open receiver, but his accuracy isn't great on those throws anyway. Meanwhile either his arm strength or reich's play calling keeps defenses from having to respect us deep.

Everyone was told that the reason to draft Bryce Young over the other two big names (sorry will) he was so much more pro ready and so much better at reading defenses and so much better prepared. Meanwhile the guy that went number two has the most passing yards through two games by any rookie ever. Even if Bryce Young does turn into a drat good quarterback, we aren't getting the one advantage out of him that we were promised early on. We passed on a scary accurate quarterback and a scary athletic quarterback because we were supposed to come out of the gate swinging. Now the thing the naysayers said would happen has happened and all of the reasons for making the Bryce selection seem to have gone out the window.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

It's been two games

This makes more sense if we weren't being told all summer that actually Bryce is way ahead of where rookies usually are. The entire justification for Bryce always hinged on how CJ and Richardson would both take so long to develop because of the mental aspect of their game whereas Bryce was supposed to be plug and play. If Richardson can't immediately see a play to his receivers then he can at least run it and Stroud has a chance of throwing them open with that arm. We gave that up to draft Bryce and then surrounded him with talent where he would really need to be able to do one of those two things.

The way the Panthers went about the whole process seems backward to me. They brought in all of these coaching minds and quarterback gurus and then explicitly picked a guy because they think he's going to need less coaching and be ready sooner. Two games in it's arguable that he was the least ready of all three of them, especially when you factor in the team he was playing with.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

The receiver talent and the structure of the offense isn't on Bryce as a player though. I get where you're coming from but Young is very much ahead of guys even who have been pros for a number of years like Darnold and Fields. I don't know if you've watched the QB school breakdowns of his first two games but it's probably worth a watch to see the game and plays being broken down in real time.

For context, I have watched pretty much every piece of bryce young content on youtube probably. I have been mainlining this poo poo for months trying to get a sense of how things were gonna go and all the leaks and comments from practice were making me optimistic. I've seen both of JT's breakdowns and a few other takes. I don't dislike Bryce and I agree that it's not on him. My disappointment comes from the organizational failure and the baffling decision making that got us here.

BlindSite posted:

I think there's a number of factors as to why the offense has been sputtering but I don't think Bryce is contributing to the issues 1/10 as much as the receiver group, offensive line, scheming and running game has. For starters the Panthers are spending way too much time on 2nd and 3rd and long, instead of in more manageable down and distance situations and there simply haven't been the sustained drives where the running game has been successful, and it often hasn't been due to there being 8 in the box where the defensive mis matches can be exploited. The lack of a true downfield threat at the moment that can with consistency has been a factor, on his two interceptions and a near interception the safeties have basically been able to buzz down, or have been undercutting routes, the slow developing trap and rub plays are simply taking too long to develop, etc, etc, etc.

Yes, this right here is exactly why it's so concerning. We aren't ready at other positions, why did we have to go get the guy with the lowest ceiling because he can win now? Did the coaches think they were gonna scheme this bunch open? With this playbook? What kind of habits are we building for him? When he gets a receiver worth a drat will he even remember what to do with him? Bryce was supposed to elevate this offense with his creativity but that hasn't been nearly enough and this strategy has put him in the worst case scenario for his skillset and body type. I think that's worth talking about now, no matter what happens in the future.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 23, 2023

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

It's not just the coaching. No one knows how to make a plan or even think beyond the next 10 minutes. It's Frank, it's Scott, it's Dave. 2 need to go and one we're just stuck with.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

At least ya’ll didn’t take CJ Stroud, his slow processing and inability to improvise is clearly holding him back.

I want to die

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I'm not doing this anymore

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Shinji2015 posted:

From what I saw, it was Tepper who wanted Bryce, Reich wanted Stroud, and welp.

Tepper doesn't get nearly enough poo poo. The Panthers have been consistently one of the worst teams in the league since he bought them

Of course it was. Every single goddamn thing this team has done since Tepper bought it has been to turn a quick profit and to try to do it overnight. Let's bring in Matt Rhule because he turned Baylor around really fast! Let's fix it with Teddy Bridgewater! Let's fix it with Sam Darnold! Let's fix it with Deshaun Watson! Let's fix it with Matthew Stafford! Let's trade up and fix it with Matt Corral! Not to mention turning the field into fake turf and endangering his players' long term health so he can host Kenny Chesney concerts.

But this year is the coup de grace of poo poo. After setting up a coaching staff that is built for the long haul, with the skills to develop any QB, what does Tepper do? Goes out and trades the future to draft the one guy that already hit his ceiling because he'll be able to "win now."

edit: oh and baker! How did I forget Baker?

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 1, 2023

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Shinji2015 posted:

Only consolation is that the Bears will absolutely waste it

If it somehow isn't MHJ they've lost the draft.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

GD_American posted:

wait...aren't those literally the only two people that have ever owned the Panthers?

yeah he means they both suck and we'd be happier just being displaced steelers fans like the rest of north carolina already is.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

Hey! HEY!

There's also the occasional Washington fan out east.

Yeah but i don't know if I would call washington a fanbase that has been happy over the last 20+ years

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I think you guys have it all wrong w/r/t Frank.

Frank was kind of an obvious hire and the start of a smart plan. You would get Frank in, he would have this world beating coaching staff, even if he doesn't work out you theoretically have a staff beneath him that could take over including a candidate in Evero that you could promote. He is the perfect person to bring along a qb slowly and then if it doesn't work, you're probably not looking too bad. Then we went and got a low ceiling guy with no potential because he theoretically didn't need coaching. If Tepper is a person that's building for the long haul then Reich makes sense even if he isn't the greatest coach himself. But Tepper isn't from a world where you can take losses while you build up to wins. He has to turn everything around right now and doesn't have time for building a solid foundation. That's not gonna work in the NFL.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

kazil posted:

God it's going to be years and years before the Panthers are even talking about being competitive

Don't worry, Dave has a plan to turn it all around this year! We just have to trade our entire 2025 draft stock. This time it'll definitely work!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Hell, he wants to ruin a baseball team too if the rumors are true

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Reich says that Bryce isn't comfortable working out of the pocket. I don't know, seems like kind of a bad sign to me?

In the same interview he also said that we are not a smash mouth football team and I don't think I've ever heard a coach use that in reference to what their team isn't.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

On of my sincere goals in life is to never learn anything that cam newton thinks about any topic. It's better this way.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

BlindSite posted:

I start thinkin about the draft next year the day of the draft this year. I love draft days - I take the day off work, I make some poo poo food, I drink some beers at like 10am and watch football highlights and talk football. How do you not love the draft.

And yet they've taken that from us too

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Bucs by 24

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Teams will look completely dysfunctional while playing the Panthers and still maintain a comfortable two score lead.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Edit: wrong thread

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I'm looking at the scores of the last two games and I'm unable to confirm Jon's post

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I don't want the Panthers to hire a coach. I kind of just want the Panthers to stop doing anything and eventually we all just kind of forget about them together.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Is that a real photo of Arthur Smith because holy poo poo does it look like AI

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Yeah, hire from within. Great idea.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

If they can get a head coach from outside they can get a GM from outside. Tepper wanted a yes man

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Oh God I remember that place. The pizza sucked. The cheese was awful and horribly overpriced. Thank you for providing the one piece of context that could have made this any worse.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The Panthers have always been either milquetoast or super fun to watch. Why couldn't this happen to a franchise that deserves it like the Saints?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Silly Burrito posted:

Buddy do you know our history before Sean Payton

You think Gregg Williams shouldn't negate all of that universal goodwill and then some?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

If I cared I'd be pissed.