Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tampa: short of talent
Saints: short of cap
Falcons: short of hope
Panthers: Short

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

It just says "server error". Which is about what I expect from Carolina this year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Eh he's only really had 3 head coaches in 5 years and cams shoudler got exploded by a cheap shot his first year.

It's not that crazy really.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, the article's not wrong in saying that he's a bad owner; yeah, Cam's shoulder exploding was out of his control, but I have the feeling he would have been cleaning house even if things hadn't gone to poo poo.

But anyways,

I think he's just an average owner. tbh I think we'll find out more now than we did in the previous regime. At least we have a coach that wants a modern team that can win a SB and will keep on it until we do rather than one of the octogenarians who are happy to have billions and don't care about the team, or the last idiot who wanted to play 1970s ball control football.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

three posted:

He played a heavy part in hiring one of the worst head coaches in the history of the game, ruined the field conditions for his lovely MLS team which led to getting a grievance by the NFLPA, screwed the city of Rock Hill, and most egregiously: replaced Pepsi with Coke in the stadium.

All the other stuff aside I kinda only care about the football on the field. Not to be dismissive of the other stuff - I doubt anyone who owns a football team is a good person. You don't accumulate the money to own one by being a good person, but as far as an owner of the team he's average as they come. The Rhule hiring was a mistake but I can forgive someone trying to hire the next hot property from the college ranks and build a dynasty rather than hire like... Fat Mike.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just like in that war the NFC south is gonna be won by the team with Blue on their banners.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Buccs still have an excellent defensive front seven that alone in the modern NFL can keep you in games. I also think their receiver group is still top tier. I just don't think they have the QBs to get them there. I also think their running game will be better than people think.

Falcons are a bit of a dumpster fire.

Panthers lack depth but have some pieces, it all hinges on Bryce Young and whether the patch work receiver core can come together.

New orleans have the best overall roster from top to bottom but I still have questions about the coaching staff and while I'm a fan of Carr and think he's the best possible pick up at QB they could have made it remains to be seen whether it'll translate.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Tbh all I care about this year is Bryce and him being protected. One of the two looked good in limited action at least.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Popped up in my feed that terrace Marshall got carted off today. Hope he's OK.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Rode off in the cart after pulling something in his back. Precautionary.

Cheers mate. Was hoping it was training camp precaution and not like. Season.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

The offense is very limited right now (and I have no idea why ickey is struggling so badly) but you really can see Bryce out there figuring poo poo out.

I don’t know if I’m just a victim of narratives or whatever.

I feel like you can't get a gauge of Bryce until the offensive line unfucks itself. Which tbh is surprising. Last year toward the back end the offensive line had really turned a corner but that was also during the period that McAdoo was going very run heavy in the game plan and Deonte Foreman was just crashing into motherfuckers for the first 20 plays and designed runs to Darnold or whatever. There's a good chance that the full offensive cast being on the field sees a more balanced and effective game plan and the line starts playing better. I also did notice that a few of the mistakes on the offensive line seem to either be bad reads or bad protection calls - where someone just attempted to block the wrong person. There was one really bad one where Icky just completely wiffed his hand placement and got beat for speed - but I'd say 2/3rds of the poo poo play can be chalked up to the line just not being on the same page or just not making the right call which says to me its a fixable problem, whereas if guys are making the right decision and then just getting wrecked for pace or technique you can well and truly be worried.

Big concern though.

I expect some normal rookie poo poo from Bryce, he's going to have up and down days as a rookie, but he's shown the right things for my mind - ball placement has been good even if there's been some disconnect with the receivers and their routes etc - he's looking off coverage he's choosing the right options at the right time. He also is showing the same stuff he did in college in terms of pocket awareness, he moves well, he doesn't get hit clean, definitely has a live arm for his size at NFL speed - so I'm actually not really worried about Young. I think the bones have shown in his play that he's what we thought he was when he drafted in terms of floor - whether or not he has the higher level abilities to lead game winning drives in big games etc will be revealed in time.

It's a hard gauge really. I think it looks like a team with an offensive line that has a lot of work ahead to come together with a rookie in at QB.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

three posted:

All the people that thought Kyle Trask wasn't total cheeks...

Baker Mayfield is a living embodiment of the "did it work for them? no, never, but maybe it'll work for us" meme.

Real Baker Mayfield has never been tried!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

GD_American posted:

Where exactly is Mayfield's breakdown on the field? Never watched enough to notice

I cant remember which sports caster it was on a podcast but someone compared him to a formula one car.

If any one of like 5 things is off on the day for Baker you might as well pack it in.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bryce looks good at least.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

three posted:

Mike Evans is 30, and the Bucs don't seem like they'll be particularly good any time soon. Maybe in everyone's best interest to split?

Not that Evans really relied on pure speed, so he could be good a very long time like an Anquan Boldin, though.

Edit: Also, as a Panthers fan, id prefer to not see him make an embarrassment of our lovely secondary anymore. I'll never forgive CJ Henderson for last year.

I got double hosed on that weekend because he caused me to lose fantasy and it was embarrassing as a fan to drop one final chance to give Tom a shameful L.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Burns first please

I heard Burns and the team aren't seeing eye to eye on numbers which does not bode well. We really need to keep Burns, especially after we turned away two first round picks to hold on to him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Shinji2015 posted:

tbh I'd be shocked if any team in the NFCS made it past the wild card.

Only thing more shocking would be if we sent two teams to the playoffs

Yeah, whoever makes it, I'll be cheering for chaos in the opening rounds of the playoffs. Because gently caress it would be funny for someone to lose to an nfc s default team with an 8 and 9 record.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Chris Godwin hasn't got an amazing injury history and the rest of the offense isn't exactly set with established skill position guys. I can see why they might want to squeeze and see how the first four weeks go. If you end up somehow 4-0 you might want him for the rest of the run, if you're 0-4 and you're going to lean into the rebuild...

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think not having a healthy or good WR outside of a rookie in his first game didn't help much.

His ball placement and decision making seem... fine? Fine for where he's at, but man they need either someone to be blessed with the spirit of Steve Smith or some magic help at WR or its going to be a long year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I still think you can wait like 4 weeks before throwing the bryce out with the bath water.

His deep threat and number one target all offseason didn't play, Marshall and thielen have been in and out of practice for the last two weeks and neither firmed to start until Friday.

I think even with the two INTs the passes I did see from Bryce he was at least moving well in the pocket, he was going through progressions and he was for the most part putting the ball in the right spots.

This just looked very much to me like a team with some teething problems, no bonafide number one receiver and a rookie under centre.

Patience isn't exactly a virtue in the NFL I get it but I think this is a team that's going to take some time coming together offensively.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

I wasn't able to watch any of the game yesterday, so I'm curious about y'all's thoughts on Bryce Young. Judging from social media, etc., Panthers fans either think he looked pretty good with a couple unfortunate rookie mistakes or was an absolute dogshit pick at No. 1 and we're hosed. It's entirely too early to judge, of course, but I'm looking for the goon takes.

Like I said earlier he looked like a rookie begging for a number one receiver. Lots of simply not being on the same page with the guys who hadn't practiced the last few weeks.

The main takeaways I had though were he looks off coverage, moves through progressions seamlessly and can deliver a ball on time and on target.

We're going to get growing pains because everything and everyone is fairly new. Hurst, Sanders, young, thielen, mingo are all new to Carolina.

Like fiz eluded to, there's some schemes and play design that can be better but I don't have any qualms about Youngs ability to execute, just about gameplan and skill position personnel.

The last 8 games will show if he and everyone else can remain healthy but im not worried at all at this point about Bryce Youngs ability to play QB.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

That first round has a lot of players who are really struggling to make a career.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

QB school for Bryce Young is up for the Panthers fans or anyone curious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4h_44jpi1Q

Couple interesting takeaways but mostly it's kind of what I saw watching live. Young flashes a lot of really good things but looks inexperienced and a fraction late on somethings which should improve with time. The receivers had a few miscues that probably aren't there in another 5 weeks, stuff like stopping on routes thinking they were beat, or poo poo route running.

Definitely think things are looking up at QB anyway. I don't see the poo poo we saw from Darnold or Baker or Teddy or anyone else under center for the last few years. If the coaches are worth their paycheck I think we'll see some pretty quick improvements.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Missing 20 of your first 37 games in the league as a top ten pick is a right kick in the balls. Dude cannot stay healthy. God tier CB when he's on the field but there's no ability without availability.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Eh we'll be fine.

Everyone panic because Bryce looks fine 2 weeks into his career.

Reeeeeeeee

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

i think the total lack of receivers and pretty uninspired play calling is more alarming. it doesn't seem like they trust him enough to do anything but the dumbest basics possible right now. hopefully they find someone, anyone, capable of catching passes and open things up a little for him

Panthers receivers were really bad last week and I didn't see anything that gives me high hopes this week either.

Bryce does absolutely everything right. He's a little late and a little off script with some things, at some times bit he's not Teddy Bridgewater.

They need to just let him play, let him get out of the pocket and move, use some two tight end sets, kick the tyres on anyone with speed who can take the top off etc.

I'll leave the jury out on Reich 2.0 since he's not calling plays afaik but we knew this was going to take a year at least.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ah must have had that backward from last week. My b.

Jesus christ Reich you fuckin clown wake the gently caress up.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jesus. At least we're not the steelers. They look worse than us and they have actual receivers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bryce does all the hard poo poo that some QBs are never able to do already. He'll be fine.

Just a little reminder too that when Cam Newton took over as a rookie he had the following

Travell Wharton, Ryan kalil, Jordan gross on the offensive line.

Jeremy shockey and Greg Olsen at tight end

Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams at running back

Steve Smith and Brandon LaFell at WR.

Arguably 2 hall of farmers on that list and three guys who are hall of pretty loving good.

Thats a far cry from what we've got on the field rn.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Id make the argument that it's easier to find Wide receivers or at least, money ball some production with receiving backs, tight ends and guys who can do a job and hindsight is always hard but...

I would have rather the two firsts to trade burns which likely sees us keep Moore and get out from under the draft hell more quickly.

Trading cmc is whatever - I get it, at the time and the Panthers got fair compensation.

Either way I expect an extension to get done with Burns before mid season. If not... gently caress.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Typical. Only thing that can get separation on the offense is Bryce's foot from his leg.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

But he's so good at ~processing~

Richardson has a concussion and a knee or something right now and Rodgers Achilles detonated. Both those lads are over 6ft. It's not his size that got his ankle caught up when a dlineman tackled him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

This makes more sense if we weren't being told all summer that actually Bryce is way ahead of where rookies usually are. The entire justification for Bryce always hinged on how CJ and Richardson would both take so long to develop because of the mental aspect of their game whereas Bryce was supposed to be plug and play. If Richardson can't immediately see a play to his receivers then he can at least run it and Stroud has a chance of throwing them open with that arm. We gave that up to draft Bryce and then surrounded him with talent where he would really need to be able to do one of those two things.

The way the Panthers went about the whole process seems backward to me. They brought in all of these coaching minds and quarterback gurus and then explicitly picked a guy because they think he's going to need less coaching and be ready sooner. Two games in it's arguable that he was the least ready of all three of them, especially when you factor in the team he was playing with.

The receiver talent and the structure of the offense isn't on Bryce as a player though. I get where you're coming from but Young is very much ahead of guys even who have been pros for a number of years like Darnold and Fields. I don't know if you've watched the QB school breakdowns of his first two games but it's probably worth a watch to see the game and plays being broken down in real time.

There's a number of throws that live looked like the wrong option, or not as good as they could have been but through two weeks in all the breakdowns there's only really been two or three bad plays where he's mildly over thrown or been inaccurate. For the most part he's been right on the money, right on schedule but there's been a lot of occasions where there's just absolutely no one open, no separation and the route concepts are far too slow developing.

You can see it alone in a lot of his drop backs simply in the way he gets to the top of his drop and goes through his progressions - he's adept at those things. He doesn't have a plus arm but neither does Tua and neither did Brady in the years where he still routinely put up over 35 touchdowns etc.

I think there's a number of factors as to why the offense has been sputtering but I don't think Bryce is contributing to the issues 1/10 as much as the receiver group, offensive line, scheming and running game has. For starters the Panthers are spending way too much time on 2nd and 3rd and long, instead of in more manageable down and distance situations and there simply haven't been the sustained drives where the running game has been successful, and it often hasn't been due to there being 8 in the box where the defensive mis matches can be exploited. The lack of a true downfield threat at the moment that can with consistency has been a factor, on his two interceptions and a near interception the safeties have basically been able to buzz down, or have been undercutting routes, the slow developing trap and rub plays are simply taking too long to develop, etc, etc, etc.

The more I've seen the more it's actually cemented my comfort with Bryce as a future long term QB and increased my discomfort with everything else. To me - atleast it seems there's a very good reason that Sanders wasn't re-signed in philly, thielen was allowed to hit the bricks and detroit gave 0 fucks about losing their former guy. Not to keep making the comparison with the GOAT, but even in those years where Brady was lacking in the outside receiver position there were always multiple running backs, tight ends, move players and generally - one slot receiver who was capable of making a difference. Hurst has been. fine. but he's not Gronkowski or Hernandez, Sanders is fine but he doesn't catch out of the backfield like a dependable option and the rest - thomas, hubbard, etc are just guys. There's no Edelman or Welker who's automatic on a 3rd and 5 because he will smoke a linebacker, there's just 5/10 guys across the board. Even Mingo who was supposed to be a dawg going after the ball is getting out muscled by 175 pound corner backs and Terrace Marshall seems to quit on routes on a whim.

The most glaring thing I actually took away from QB school vids was that there's just a lack of options. If Bryce was looking at his reads and missing guys screaming open with their hand raised I think you'd have a point about not seeing his mental game, but there's multiple - and I mean like 90% of plays where guys are just blanketed by middling secondary talent. If you don't believe me, throw a video on and just pick like 4 minutes in and watch how many plays in row the high angle just shows absolutely no one getting a clean release and beating their guy. It's the worst I've ever seen in an NFL offense.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Also at this rate burns is absolutely gone in the next few weeks.

Anyone got a disgruntled wr1 they want to let go tho?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Chark and Theilen aren’t that bad, tbh. There are teams like the Texans or Colts or Rams making it work alright with some pretty questionable talent at WR.

I could do a big write up about this but a lot of what I've seen is just dumb scheme.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Will always love Jake Delhomme.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

This has been such a shitter of a week for sport.

Panthers legit look to be getting worse week on week, I lost in 3 out of 3 fantasy leagues, my home town teams lost in both the NRL and AFL grand finals this weekend.

Just cursed all the way down.

I thought with Reich and his staff we'd see him take a little more hands off approach and utilise the OC we brought in from the Rams. I mean... the McVay coaching tree has had its ups and downs but for the most part you expect flooding crossing routes and that kinda poo poo to scheme guys open but man, haven't seen a whole lot of that at all.

I dont know where they go from here to fix it. Literally nothing seems to be working, not Bryce, not the run game, not the scheme.

The defense is serviceable but every decision seems to be the wrong one at the moment.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I went back and watched the game again last night. Offensive series at least and Bryce is absolutely not the problem in Carolina and it's kinda shocking how bad everything else is at the moment.

Especially icky, dude has regressed badly in his 2nd year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Ickey is going to end up at guard. Dude absolutely cannot handle a stunt to save his life.

Its truly bizarre to watch at times. When he should come forward with a punch he just ineffectually let's guys into his chest or snatches at air like a bad madden animation.

Mcadoo seemingly the smartest offensive mind we've had in the building since Chud left and that's just loving wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

Since we're talking about touchdown passes bouncing off faces, regular reminder that I hate Ian Thomas so much. The absolute biggest bum that we just refuse to get rid of, even after a regime change. He wouldn't be employed anywhere but in Carolina, I swear.

Dude just has never continued with his development. He was fine as a fourth rounder and could have gone on to better things, but the dudes just got bricks for hands and can't run routes.