Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

GD_American posted:

I could literally only name 3 of those starting QBs and that's because two of them are in the last two posts

Teddy Bridgewater started the carousel when Matt Rhule came in and Cam got cut. Before that we had the whole Kyle Allen and Taylor Heinecke nonsense when Cam got injured.

The forgotten dude, for me, was Will Grier :lol:

I really, really hope that Bryce Young is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Relentlessboredomm posted:

dont worry we'll cycle through all the bad qbs this year on the way to the #1 pick

I'm sure the defense will be good enough to screw you guys out of that.

Even if Baker is washed, you have to think that Evans and Godwin will be able to prop him up a bit too.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

my actual prediction for this season is that the falcons are going to win the division because the NFL is and always will be complete nonsense and preseason predictions mean nothing

This is sincerely what I think as well. There's just so much variance in what could happen in this division (on top of inherent variance in football as a whole) that the Falcons winning the division wouldn't surprise me at all.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

The offense is very limited right now (and I have no idea why ickey is struggling so badly) but you really can see Bryce out there figuring poo poo out.

I don’t know if I’m just a victim of narratives or whatever.

I'm usually of the mind that playing well in preseason doesn't mean anything (hi 0-16 Lions), but you would still prefer the team to not look like poo poo. They're playing vanilla as hell game plans, and didn't play Sanders/Houston/Burns/Brown, so I'll just be over here huffing some copium.

Matt Corral is absolutely poo poo though.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

I hope baker does well 15 times this year. He was a complete pro in Carolina and it’s ridiculous he had to split training camp reps with darnold. Who knows how he would have done once Wilks took over.

That said he looked awful at times last year. Not just the play calling was bad but he couldn’t make the throws.

That is pretty much exactly where I'm at on Baker.

Really curious to see how he looks throwing to Evans and Godwin compared to what the Panthers were running out last year (no offense to DJ).

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

three posted:

Guy who can never stay healthy gets injured. What a surprise. Who could have anticipated this?

Good thing they signed another veteran WR and drafted one in the 2nd round as well.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

three posted:

Without Chark, it's a bottom in the league WR group (many would have argued it was regardless). He was going to be the #1 and also the deep threat.

That's the chance you take with a dude that's averaged 8 games started a year for his career so far.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

I had a dream last night that the falcons poo poo stomped the panthers. Or was it a premonition?

Nothing would surprise me (though that outcome would be very depressing :sigh: )

One of my nagging thoughts throughout the entire off-season was that the Falcons are going to be inexplicably good this year, so we shall see.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Christ Baker sucks.

We tried to tell you guys :sigh:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Haven't seen the Panthers Falcons. Bryce Young bad?

I won't say he's bad, but he's definitely had a really bad day.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

zimbomonkey posted:

I'm not ready to say Bryce is bad but boy he feels really teddy bridgwater-y

Having YPA under 5 yards will do that (poo poo, it was under 4 :ughh: )

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Panthers possessed the ball for 9 more minutes, led rushing/passing yards, and allowed half the sacks despite running 24 more plays than ATL. (the Falcons getting .8 more per carry was definitely noticeable though)

Throwing 2 picks, losing a fumble, and turning it over on downs in the 1st half seems kinda bad! Miles Sanders not getting the carry on that 4th and short instead of Chuba Hubbard is still a head scratcher.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

RumbleFish posted:

I wasn't able to watch any of the game yesterday, so I'm curious about y'all's thoughts on Bryce Young. Judging from social media, etc., Panthers fans either think he looked pretty good with a couple unfortunate rookie mistakes or was an absolute dogshit pick at No. 1 and we're hosed. It's entirely too early to judge, of course, but I'm looking for the goon takes.

Anyone saying it's a dogshit pick after one game is a moron, but he had a definitely had a rough day yesterday. Both the picks were completely on him and not the result of something like bad luck or crazy pressure, and he had a ton of throwaways too.

I'm curious to see what Atlanta's defense looks like against other competition too.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

It'll be a nice problem to have if he's good and Corbett comes back healthy.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Missing 20 of your first 37 games in the league as a top ten pick is a right kick in the balls. Dude cannot stay healthy. God tier CB when he's on the field but there's no ability without availability.

Yeah, those 17 games with CJ Henderson quality CBs are brutal (see that game near the end of last season against the Bucs)

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

Bryce Young is literally two games into his career and Panthers fans could not possibly be funnier to watch right now

I'm sure they're running super conservative and short passing game stuff to keep Bryce upright and healthy (which makes sense), but the first couple of games have been pretty painful/boring to watch.

The injuries to major contributors on the OL/defense definitely aren't helping things.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

three posted:

This is a remarkable chart: https://twitter.com/throwthedamball/status/1704243969457013191?t=sAL6glsMFwGyaPJ8EudzAw&s=19

Bryce has the worst receivers at getting open, but is the most accurate when they do get open.

Also, Justin Fields is poo poo.

Give DJ Moore back, you fucks.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

panthers fans help me understand something

your team is struggling/unwilling? to pay Brian Burns. last season they were offered 2 1sts for him and turned that down. then you traded your best (only??) WR and a future first to get a new qb. now your new young qb has no one to throw to, you're out this years first, and you're down the services of your best pass rusher who could've been two first round picks if they knew they weren't paying him.

how the gently caress does your dumbass gm still have a job?

I blame David Tepper for everything.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Suuuuure looks like coaching is the problem in Carolina

Absolutely.

They can make the excuse of injuries, but Seattle has almost their whole OL injured and some major contributors out on defense and still kicked the poo poo out of the Panthers.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Shinji2015 posted:

Yup. Andy and the defense did what they could, but gently caress, there's no excuse for what happened tonight

Oh this loss is not on Andy Dalton at all. He missed a couple of throws, but there's only so much you can do when your WRs are dropping poo poo and your OL can't go a series without false-starting.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Running the ball sure does make crowd noise irrelevant.

Miles Sanders not looking like a JAG would certainly help on that end too.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

It was loving ridiculous. Reich even said the word "pathetic" in his presser afterward since they'd practiced with a ton of noise all week to prepare.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

three posted:

Bryce refuses to throw a pass that doesn't have 10 yards of separation by the WR.

Also refuses to stop fumbling the ball in the open field.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He wouldn’t, but I doubt Bryce would look as good on the Texans. Really though taking Bryce over CJ was a big red flag for the coaching staff.

I would definitely love to know if the ultra conservative game plan is on the coaching staff trying to get out in front of Young getting destroyed, or if it is Bryce himself just being Teddy B 2.0

Saul Kain posted:

This is gonna sound bad but I miss Riverboat Ron.

It was time for Ron to go, but I will say with certainty that I miss a time when David Tepper didn't own this loving team. I don't long for Jerry Richardson, but the team has been a mess since Tepper took over ownership.

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 1, 2023

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

zimbomonkey posted:

I'm not doing this anymore

Sure is going to be sweet giving away a top 5 (at least) pick away in the 2024 draft

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Shinji2015 posted:

Only consolation is that the Bears will absolutely waste it

Oh I think that's absolutely a given, and something that I take solace in.

If any of these tanking teams get the number one pick, then Caleb Williams decides to go back to school, I will never stop laughing.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Just miserable to watch all around.

I'll co-sign that.

Hearing Saints and Falcons fans saying that their teams are poo poo gave me a good chuckle, knowing that they both easily handled the Panthers.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

starting to feel like the panthers should have hired the guy they were winning games with instead of the guy who got fired mid-season in indy

But you see, Frank Reich had a *plan* when he interviewed. Look at all these amazing coaches he brought with him!

Who cares if some dude is winning games with Sam Darnold and PJ Walker at QB.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Pretty sure all the Panthers fans were hyping up Reich and his all star coaching staff.

I'm an eternally optimistic kook-aid drinker in the off-season (every off-season), so that's entirely possible.

The prevailing opinion at the end of last season was that Wilks should definitely get a full-time shot though, and that he had earned it even taking stinker in Tampa into account.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

What's the opposite of a pep talk? A death knell?

Tep talk was right there.

I'm sure all owners meddle to an extent, but I'm just always going to assume that he's just a toxic dweeb.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

gently caress David Tepper, and gently caress the Carolina Panthers.

When is the first win going to come? Chicago may have been a possibility before this week, but there is no phase of the game where I feel confident in this team right now.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

What ever will they do?!?

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Well done bois, a clean sweep of bed making GBS threads

Also Panthers, I’m going to need you to get your poo poo together enough to pull 1-2 wins bc right now you are the only reason I can’t say Billy B has the worst record in the league.

The Bears might be a maybe if Fields is going to be out, but it's looking pretty dire.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Shinji2015 posted:

lol I didn't even remember that clip when I made that post. What a dumbass

We'll save money on WRs that we can use on the defense though!! (lol, sorry Brian, not you)

It's just such a stupid loving quote. Even if the PG analogy about Bryce is accurate, you still need superstar scorers to succeed in the NBA. Magic wasn't playing with scrubs when he won all those titles.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

It could have maybe worked out if they had picked, oh, say cj stroud instead

Stroud may indeed work out better, but it doesn't make the process of getting there any less moronic.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

That’s true, I just wanted to kick a cat while it’s down

Well they're going to be down for a while, so kick away :)

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

The NFC South, ladies and gentlemen.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Corbett coming back is low key pretty huge though for the line.

Watching how the OL has played this season, it is just straight up huge.

Hopefully it won't take him too long to get re-acclimated.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Evans is my favorite player of all time, if he played for another team I'd be so bummed.

You have my sympathy if he ever gets dealt.

Seeing Steve Smith in a Ravens jersey (and kicking rear end still) was brutal. gently caress Dave Gettleman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

In fairness, it would also be DJ Chark as well if he could catch.