Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yesterday Freddie Freeman hit his 51st double of the year. He’s on pace for 62-63. No one has hit 60+ in a season post-integration, the closest was Todd Helton in 2000 who hit 59 in pre-humidor Coors. Castellanos hit 58 in 2019.

He would need 17 to beat the record of 67, set in 1931. He hit 17 this May and has 16 in August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
It's crazy to look at Matt Olson's stats and be like "yeah he's worse than the guy he replaced"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It’s crazy that three out of Betts Acuña Freeman Olson are going to not get MVP

It would be awesome if Betts and Acuña tied for the award, as difficult as that’d be.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The A's at one point had Matt Chapman, Matt Olson, Sean Murphey and Marcus Semien in their infield and then did what the A's do and traded or failed to extend any of them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N:

https://twitter.com/fabianardaya/status/1697387587147870249?s=46&t=HFusjT2oQv6HMi13dmttrw

V: :swoon::swoon::swoon:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Oh ok. I guess they can just pinky swear or whatever.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

maffew buildings posted:

Well yeah that's what Padres historically have done

Good god almighty this thread is afire

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

bawfuls posted:

Yesterday Freddie Freeman hit his 51st double of the year. He’s on pace for 62-63. No one has hit 60+ in a season post-integration, the closest was Todd Helton in 2000 who hit 59 in pre-humidor Coors. Castellanos hit 58 in 2019.

He would need 17 to beat the record of 67, set in 1931. He hit 17 this May and has 16 in August.

This was one of those non-"record" things that I always hoped Pujols would pull off (don't even get me started on how pissed I am that Miguel Cabrera, and not Pujols, was the first Triple Crown since the 60s). His problem was he always missed like two weeks and hit too many homers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
...how would breaking the doubles record be a non-"record" thing? Or did you just mean hitting 60

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

GPTribefan posted:

I mean, this is where it all came together for us last year…. LFG, one more run at the Central with a remade pitching staff!!

It's going to be extremely funny if the Guardians manage to beat the odds, win AL Central, and enter the playoffs with a starting rotation that doesn't have a single person on it who played or was scheduled to play on Opening Day.

In fact I hope this happens just for that.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Eric the Mauve posted:

...how would breaking the doubles record be a non-"record" thing? Or did you just mean hitting 60

Yeah, just the threshold. Likewise I obsessively tracked whether or not he would finish with more HR than K in a given year. Just secondary stuff I'd key in on as somebody who was such a huge dork that back before Baseball-Reference.com updated in-season, I made my own spreadsheets to ballpark Pujols' (et al) OPS+ from day-to-day.

Can't stress enough that the man single-handedly made me a baseball fan and literally overnight. It was this game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emH-oxwFyHU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/1697359724784574480

This loving dope is going to hire McKinsey to fix his baseball team.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mayo Pete as Yankees GM- lock it in

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

FlamingLiberal posted:

Welcome back, Josh Donaldson

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Yankees will run just as smoothly as America’s air travel systems

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Another complaint filed against Wander over a minor, he's looking hosed.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Another complaint filed against Wander over a minor, he's looking hosed.

At least it will be all adults this time around.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is there any historical examples of something like this happening in pro sports to what appeared to be a superstar in the making?

I guess in the past it would be more easily swept under the rug, like Doug Gilmour.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Is there any historical examples of something like this happening in pro sports to what appeared to be a superstar in the making?

I guess in the past it would be more easily swept under the rug, like Doug Gilmour.

Enzo Amore in WWE is the first one that comes to mind, depending on your definition of "pro sports"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Felipe Vasquez is the answer

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ah yeah I forgot about him.

I actually just meant a crime bad enough to get a lifetime boot. Maybe Ray Rice, but he was a vet.

Also kaepernick of course

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Addison Russell? Probably not superstar I suppose.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Considering Roberto Osuna is only 28 and has been absolutely bulldozing Mexican and Japan ball for years now, maybe him

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Aaron Hernandez and I can't believe nobody else has said it yet

E: Unless "something like this" means sexual assault related and not just "horrific crimes" in general

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Trevor Bauer was effectively thrown of MLB this very season!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Dexo posted:

Addison Russell? Probably not superstar I suppose.

russell had "oh poo poo this kid might be really good once he figures it out" with a 95 wRC+ in 2016 and then that was his best year. even talking about strictly on-field performance he was a non-tender candidate before The Unpleasantness came out

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Russell was an incredible defender and the hope was if he could be a league average bat, he would be a really solid SS. He regressed a lot though which a lot of people attribute to his partying. He was a fixture at every late night Chicago club just about every night of the week.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Who's ready for a Mike Tauchman highlight reel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA2BLtn-TDQ

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Niwrad posted:

Russell was an incredible defender and the hope was if he could be a league average bat, he would be a really solid SS. He regressed a lot though which a lot of people attribute to his partying. He was a fixture at every late night Chicago club just about every night of the week.

Heck, if it was good enough for Mark Grace...

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Who's ready for a Mike Tauchman highlight reel?

The summer our Tauch boy became a Tauch man

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Acuna with a 30-60 season so far

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

30/62 :eng101:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yea but Betts hit two more out tonight.

.317 and 38 dingers

.455 for the month :heysexy:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Niwrad posted:

And then the offense steadily declined, and the defense started to decline. By the time he came back from his suspension he was nearly unplayable at 2B, and Maddon kept moving Javy over to 2B to play Russell at short. It was not good.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In a different way: John Rocker.

Rocker had two excellent years in the bigs, then came the insanely racist interview with Sports Illustrated. He was good again in a partial season for Atlanta in 2000 after being suspended. But the lid was off the crazy at that point. The potential got him a few more gigs, but he never came close to those first years and of course he's been 100% toxic loonytunes for decades now.

(Rocker also did some assault, too.)

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 1, 2023

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I always thought John Rocker was gay because one of my high school teammates used to sprint to the outfield and yell “I’m John rocker, the first openly gay mlb player!!”

I was very shocked when I found out what he was actually like.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Yea but Betts hit two more out tonight.

.317 and 38 dingers

.455 for the month :heysexy:
Even tho they came up 1 short, the way they came back from down 6 tonight, this godamn team gonna keep my hope up way too much this October

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Way to get your hopes up just so the Cubs can dash em

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Monathin posted:

It's going to be extremely funny if the Guardians manage to beat the odds, win AL Central, and enter the playoffs with a starting rotation that doesn't have a single person on it who played or was scheduled to play on Opening Day.

In fact I hope this happens just for that.

It would make me extremely sad, so I do have to request this doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I always thought John Rocker was gay because one of my high school teammates used to sprint to the outfield and yell “I’m John rocker, the first openly gay mlb player!!”

I was very shocked when I found out what he was actually like.

He’s was certainly struggling with something at a personal level.