Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maddux, in his semi-famous "hitters can't tell the difference between pitch speeds" spiel he says "except for that motherfucker Tony Gwynn"

https://twitter.com/SherwoodStrauss/status/478591861569748992

Maddux never struck out Gwynn in 107 PAs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

Gwynn struck out 434 times in 20 years, he's definitely an unfair benchmark

He struck out 188 times in the entire decade of the 90s

Gwynn was obviously the best, but point was more there's no one really coming up that's got the same approach. Teams have accepted its fine to strike out a lot. From a strategic perspective I get it - make pitchers throw more pitches, and a strikeout is better than a GIDP on the first pitch. But from a watchable perspective it's probably worse.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Looking at Gwynn’s bref page is wild. The man only had one season with more strikeouts than walks, his first year in the majors. 14 walks, 16 strikeouts.

53 players struck out more times last year than Joe Sewell did in his 13 year major league career.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're going to shrink the zone then you have to deaden the ball, otherwise you'll get dudes hitting 90 home runs a year. And I would confidently predict that if you deaden the ball enough to get the home runs back in line then BABIP will crater, because for various reasons fielders are way better than they were even 20-30 years ago, which fact is currently obscured by high exit velos which would drop sharply with a deader ball.
I do not think these assertions are backed up by history. MLB has shrunk the zone in the past and it did not result in a ballooning home run rate.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

There's that Edward Gaedel story who was a 3'7 dwarf who made one appearance as a pinch hitter, walked because he had no strike zone, then got lifted for a pinch runner

He got banned after that single appearance I think? Doesn't seem right tbh

quote:

American League president Will Harridge, saying Veeck was making a mockery of the game, voided Gaedel's contract the next day. In response, Veeck threatened to request an official ruling on whether Yankees shortstop and reigning American League MVP Phil Rizzuto, who stood 5 feet 6 inches (1.68 m), was a short ballplayer or a tall dwarf.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Rickey Henderson famously had a crouched stance, it's legal but umps and pitchers hate it. Also, batters generally can't get as much power from the windup but Rickey managed to make it work.

Stance has pretty much zero effect on a hitters power, it's mostly personal preference. The gather backwards puts most hitters in the same position which then transitions into the forward stride. Where you start (stance) doesn't matter that much unless you have a flaw in your swing causing you to not get into proper gather because your stance makes it take too long or something.

That's why you see so many variations like Bagwell, Youkilis, Bellinger, Soto etc...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
no mention of Counsell or Sheffield? smh

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bawfuls posted:

I do not think these assertions are backed up by history. MLB has shrunk the zone in the past and it did not result in a ballooning home run rate.

55 years ago every single player in baseball wasn't trying to hit a home run every single time up.

Tangential: A remarkable fact is that despite how strikeouts have skyrocketed in the 35 years since his retirement, Reggie Jackson still holds the career strikeout record. Only Jim Thome has even gotten close (he fell 49 short.) Giancarlo Stanton might finally overtake him, but he's got 800 to go and just got hurt again while you were reading this post. If he doesn't get there then Reggie will probably continue to hold that record for a long time.

It's not so much that the league leading strikeout total has shot up. It was about 160-180 from Reggie's time through the 90s, jumped to around 200 in the early 2000s and is still around 200 today. The big change has been that everyone strikes out 100+ times a year now. In bawfuls' favorite reference season of 1969, Willie Stargell was 10th in MLB with 120 strikeouts. In 2022, 120 strikeouts landed Riley Greene, Marcus Semien, Taylor Walls, and Taylor Ward in a 4-way tie for 79th place.

e: I'm probably being unclear on why I wrote that, bawfuls is probably writing right now "yes that's exactly my point, we need to shrink the strike zone!" Everyone striking out 100 times a year isn't because hitters totally suck now, it's because every hitter is trying to hit a home run every time up and not giving a poo poo that it means they'll strike out a lot. 55 years ago almost all hitters were ashamed to strike out. That has completely evaporated.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 31, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Gwynn was obviously the best, but point was more there's no one really coming up that's got the same approach. Teams have accepted its fine to strike out a lot. From a strategic perspective I get it - make pitchers throw more pitches, and a strikeout is better than a GIDP on the first pitch. But from a watchable perspective it's probably worse.
Gwynn was also WAY ahead of his time on reviewing footage of his opponents. He hauled a vcr and loads of vhs tapes around so he could watch tape on upcoming pitchers to learn their tendencies etc.

Now (nearly) every team as this system automated in the cloud and tagged so that any hitter can pull up any pitcher on an iPad instantly and watch perfect HD footage of their release etc, not to mention the army of analysts dissecting pitch sequences as well.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/scottmerkin/status/1697342239133859995

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Bobby Bonds held the season K record at 189 from 1970 to 2004. That 189 is now tied for 36th.

Really is pretty nuts Reggie still holds the lifetime record.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The New York Yankees

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.twitter.com/VinnieDuber/status/1697339945021485290

:suicide:

I hate this man, and the fact that he owns two teams I want to do well.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

The New York Yankees

lmao at a hail mary Utley rule challenge at the end by Boone, too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

https://www.twitter.com/VinnieDuber/status/1697339945021485290

:suicide:

I hate this man, and the fact that he owns two teams I want to do well.

Who have they developed? Feels like most of their young prospects came from other organizations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Intruder posted:

strikeouts are cool imo

Yeah but because watching a dude fire off a 95-mph two-seamer that breaks six inches and hits the corner is cool, not because Mike McChungus and his .247 BA is swinging like a Gashouse Gorilla

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Niwrad posted:

Who have they developed? Feels like most of their young prospects came from other organizations.

Andrew Vaughn is the only “decent” one I can think of. Everyone else came here in trades.

Robert might count but he was already a stud international player

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

55 years ago every single player in baseball wasn't trying to hit a home run every single time up.

e: I'm probably being unclear on why I wrote that, bawfuls is probably writing right now "yes that's exactly my point, we need to shrink the strike zone!" Everyone striking out 100 times a year isn't because hitters totally suck now, it's because every hitter is trying to hit a home run every time up and not giving a poo poo that it means they'll strike out a lot. 55 years ago almost all hitters were ashamed to strike out. That has completely evaporated.

In the late 60’s both strikeout and home run rates were at all-time highs to that point. Hypothetical posters at that time would have been making the same argument that their “modern” hitter approaches demanded more severe changes.

I don’t know how you can look at the steady, fast rise in strikeout rates from 1950-1968 and think that all hitters in the late 60’s were ashamed to strike out in a way modern ones aren’t. League wide K rate went from 9.3% in 1949 to 15.9% in 1967. That’s a 70% increase in less than 18 years.

18 years ago the rate was 16.4% and today it’s 22.7%, an increase of only 38%.

Strikeouts were absolutely exploding in frequency in the 50’s and 60’s, at a faster pace than they have this century. One could argue the changes to hitter and pitcher approaches in that earlier period were more dramatic than what we’re seeing today.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 31, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

zoux posted:

Maddux, in his semi-famous "hitters can't tell the difference between pitch speeds" spiel he says "except for that motherfucker Tony Gwynn"

It's funny how when he went into the Hall of Fame there was a lot of "Is Tony Gwynn overrated?" discourse and now there's at least one tweet a day about how he special he was.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

In his career Gwynn slashed .429/.485/.538 vs Maddux, 39-for-91 with 16 BB's, 0 K's. :allears:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

In his career Gwynn slashed .429/.485/.538 vs Maddux, 39-for-91 with 16 BB's, 0 K's. :allears:

:lol: that's incredible.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Now, to be fair, Veeck was, in fact, mocking the game. Gaedel's signing was purely a stunt, and the argument after voiding the contract was Veeck's usual "Ain't no rule says a dog can't play basketball" approach to things, and I'm pretty sure he said as much in Veeck as in Wreck. It'd be like letting TC Bear or the Phanatic play in costume.

I recognize the argument I'm using here makes a clumsy metaphor, but the point is not that Veeck actually wanted him to play as a strategic piece--that Eddie drew walks was incidental to his being in the game. I'd have been a lot more impressed if he'd actually fought to keep Gaedel on the team.

Though he did hire him a couple more times for other stunts...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gwynn also slashed .462/.485/.738 against Smoltz and .312/.347/.419 against Glavine

I guess he was just a Brave killer

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Sydin posted:

My favorite hitter-vs.-pitcher stat line:

Barry Bonds vs. Rick Ankiel: 0-3, 3 strikeouts

Man Rick would've been good. The story his career gave us is maybe even better but I've still rarely seen a better curveball.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah but because watching a dude fire off a 95-mph two-seamer that breaks six inches and hits the corner is cool, not because Mike McChungus and his .247 BA is swinging like a Gashouse Gorilla

It's spelled "Moustakas"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hahahaha what an rear end in a top hat
https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/1697348666980216906?s=20

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I listened to that entire thing they just played it on the Score.

Like it was a bad time for a joke, but like I think it's kinda obvious that the White Sox aren't going to pay for a player that per year is going to require like 2x their payroll.

Also Ohtani is not going to go to the haus of talented injured prone players

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/JeffreyGuterman/status/1697281795639718106

I guess there's now a third accuser and a second formal complaint

Looking like he's a real piece of poo poo tbh

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Intruder posted:

Gwynn also slashed .462/.485/.738 against Smoltz and .312/.347/.419 against Glavine

and the Braves were in the NL West through 1996 on an unbalanced schedule, he was a continual menace

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Criminal Minded posted:

mdemone posted:

It's spelled "Moustakas"

It's actually spelled "Khris Davis"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Intruder posted:

Well yeah that's what Padres historically have done

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

holy poo poo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

maffew buildings posted:

sneaking one in just before the September deadline. Impressive.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

maffew buildings posted:

:holymoley:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

maffew buildings posted:

:drat:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

jesus.

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1697369523450425590

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

from the top rope!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/1697377980761428056

lol countdown to him magically regaining his MVP form down the stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Brewers rode Donaldson to a ring I'd get a big chuckle out of it as long as it's not against the Astros