Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Al-Saqr posted:

are there even rules in the Tau Codex for Human Auxilaries?

There were some Chapter Approved rules way back in 3rd-4th Ed times but they haven't been an 'official, on the table' thing for a while. Mostly it feels like GW hasn't come up with a niche for them that isn't 'Fire Warriors, but worse' or 'Kroot Carnivores, but worse', since bundling a Gue'Vesa conversion sprue of techy Tau bits with a Cadian box like the Brood Brothers kit would be an easy addition.

sharkmafia posted:

human auxiliaries would probably just use fire warrior rules, i think ive seen a tau army with that conversion before

This is the way that most Gue'Vesa conversion projects get used on the table, yes. There's enough compatibility between the Fire Warrior and Guard kits (though a bit less so with some of the newer kits) that you can switch the parts in and out without it being too much of a headache. Would be just as viable to use them in-game as an Astra Militarum army though with some Tau symbols converted or painted in, and go down the route of "just because we all defected to the Greater Good and got some new bits of uniform doesn't necessarily mean they gave us access to the more powerful guns".

Lostconfused posted:

I haven't looked at how to play Tau at all though, so right now I'm thinking off proxying Tau for guard so swap in a Crisis Suit for a Scout Sentinel

Funny you should say Sentinels, since I used them as the basis for my Crisis Suit conversions:

I went to the full extreme with this army of using the Tau rules as a template for "a bunch of high tech gun-focused nerds in battlemechs" but removing the T'au models from the equation entirely, sourcing the parts for the conversions from literally anywhere else in the GW model range, and writing them up as a lost human civilization coming back with bigger guns to reclaim what the Imperium took from them.

I have 4000pts or so of this absolute madness built with a goal to get it all painted by the end of the year:

I will make some sort of effortpost about this one day.

Lostconfused posted:

Playing Imperial Guard instead of Astra Miletarum because it's T'au Empire :getin:

For The Greater Guard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Gue'Vasa as a Kill Team seems like a no-brainer

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I'm not sure we need another "guardsmen but slightly different" team but if we do they'd be a great fit

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Roller Coast Guard posted:

There were some Chapter Approved rules way back in 3rd-4th Ed times but they haven't been an 'official, on the table' thing for a while. Mostly it feels like GW hasn't come up with a niche for them that isn't 'Fire Warriors, but worse' or 'Kroot Carnivores, but worse', since bundling a Gue'Vesa conversion sprue of techy Tau bits with a Cadian box like the Brood Brothers kit would be an easy addition.

This is the way that most Gue'Vesa conversion projects get used on the table, yes. There's enough compatibility between the Fire Warrior and Guard kits (though a bit less so with some of the newer kits) that you can switch the parts in and out without it being too much of a headache. Would be just as viable to use them in-game as an Astra Militarum army though with some Tau symbols converted or painted in, and go down the route of "just because we all defected to the Greater Good and got some new bits of uniform doesn't necessarily mean they gave us access to the more powerful guns".

Funny you should say Sentinels, since I used them as the basis for my Crisis Suit conversions:

I went to the full extreme with this army of using the Tau rules as a template for "a bunch of high tech gun-focused nerds in battlemechs" but removing the T'au models from the equation entirely, sourcing the parts for the conversions from literally anywhere else in the GW model range, and writing them up as a lost human civilization coming back with bigger guns to reclaim what the Imperium took from them.

I have 4000pts or so of this absolute madness built with a goal to get it all painted by the end of the year:

For The Greater Guard!

drat this fuckin owns. Incredibly cool stuff

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I'm not sure we need another "guardsmen but slightly different" team but if we do they'd be a great fit

guardsmen/stormtroopers with a gimmick is KT's sweet spot. they could keep adding them forever as long as the gimmick is interesting and the models are cool.

novitates do not play like breachers, which do not play like kasrkin, which do not play like exaction, which do not play like scouts, which do not play like blooded, which do not play like chaos cult, which do not play like wyrmblade, which does not play like vet guard. and all of these are basically-humans who have carapace or flak armor.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Those battlemech humans look seriously cool! Please do show us some more detailed pictures.

---

I recently played a couple of 1k games with my old mech inf IG, and it became abundantly clear that they simply cannot operate without free hunter-killer missiles. They still might be terrible with slightly improved AT capability, but maybe slightly less so? I went digging through my bitz and found a surprising number, enough to equip my Sentinels and Chimera.

Converting the Chimeras to fit the older box launchers requires a bit of work, given that there's no space to mount them to the turret directly. I finished the rough build for support struts, should be mostly fun detailing from this point onward. I'm pretty happy with the design.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Graham McNeil writes dumb schlock but I like him anyway.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Axetrain posted:

Graham McNeil writes dumb schlock but I like him anyway.

they all do. it's fine.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Guy Haley deserves a medal for making Guilliman an interesting and likable character, that had the potential to go real bad.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Stephenls posted:

Fair.

Though, if you think the Astartes in Horus Rising spend all their time bumbling around and tripping over their egos like idiots, I can't wait to hear what you think of how they behave in False Gods.

Book title: False Gods

Chapter title: Fallen god

Final words in the chapter: "Horus fell"

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lostconfused posted:

Book title: False Gods

Chapter title: Fallen god

Final words in the chapter: "Horus fell"

False Gods isn’t the worst book in the heresy series but it’s the worst one that has anything relevant happening in it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Still slowly assembling all my Orks. I built a squad of Boyz using the 2018 box where it was still glue-together and it was a real pleasure, there were a lot of fun options (besides the heads, which were a bit repetitive, but I have so many Ork heads now I’ll avoid that in the future) to make them feel distinctive by choosing the way I wanted to assemble them. By contrast the snap together guys have really nice molds and details but seem to lack that customizable bits generating component. I dunno why but snapping together stuff feels a bit strange returning to the hobby having only ever glued guys together before with a few exceptions here or there

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Snap together becomes glue together once you start snipping off pegs!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

Honestly I like the Play On philosophy of dice telling stories- in this case, the Emperor shone upon his transhuman sons against the traitorous/ heretical Guard unit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi_MpZxLPFM&t=4501s hobby gamer corner over here

Which kind of ties into this as well, where a disabled or immobilized state gives a gameplay reason to still have a piece left on the table despite being kind of removed from play.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

30k sadly made dreadnoughts effectively monsters so nobody new will ever know the joys of the argument of "what are the firing arcs on an immobilized dreadnought?"

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 29, 2024

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roller Coast Guard posted:

For The Greater Guard!
This is so great. I actually have had vague dreams of doing something similar but other than buying some Van Saar kits it’s gone nowhere, partially because I wound buying a bunch of Tau so it would be somewhat redundant. Maybe I’ll use them as Gue’Vesa down the line. It’s so cool to see someone commit to the idea.

I suppose between the Van Saar and now Solar Auxilia there’s a lot more options for converting Gue’Vesa.

I can’t see any Kroot proxies there, unless I missed them - if you ever go down that route (assuming you don’t just want to use actual Kroot as mercenaries) maybe converting some Fellgor Ravagers? After all if there are humans there’s probably also abhumans.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Frog Act posted:

Still slowly assembling all my Orks. I built a squad of Boyz using the 2018 box where it was still glue-together and it was a real pleasure, there were a lot of fun options (besides the heads, which were a bit repetitive, but I have so many Ork heads now I’ll avoid that in the future) to make them feel distinctive by choosing the way I wanted to assemble them. By contrast the snap together guys have really nice molds and details but seem to lack that customizable bits generating component. I dunno why but snapping together stuff feels a bit strange returning to the hobby having only ever glued guys together before with a few exceptions here or there
That's when you realise you can start slicing, sawing and rearranging the push-fit stuff using the other multi-part kit to customise them however you want them. It's particularly thematic with Orks and there's a really great Kitbashing and Conversions thread to help you get started.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

The Deleter posted:

I don't know where people rate Josh Reynolds because I read Soul Wars and it was dreck. Granted he was working with the blank slate of the Stormcast instead of the 40+ years of space marines or whatever, but it was just intermenable poo poo happening for way too long and then it ended very suddenly in the middle of the big final battle.

This is a bad thing to judge him by imo, it was a launch box tie-in novel. Even by the standards of BL, they’re consciously product driven. One of the authors apparently described writing them as submitting an invoice with a novel attached.

Reynolds actually raised the bar for those novels somewhat with Soul Wars but a far better place to give him a fair shake would be his Fabius Bile books, they’re a lot of fun and have better humour than most 40k stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The marines in Salvation's Reach are my favourite depictions. Three hyperfocused weirdos with their own little quirks that have little to no interest in human niceties.