Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Randalor posted:

If I wanted to make this "gargoyle" in real life, what would fit as the final arm? It's described as being built for long-range bombardment and having no close-range anti-personnel weapons

A few Medusa mortars seems like it'd fit the pattern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

I think by now they've gotten the basics down pat, hopefully 11th ed will only see minor alterations to the formula and just some refinements.

I'll be happy when some edition finally figures out that I-go-you-go sucks and they pick any of the many, many other options that other game systems have already explored for them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I don't think they're ever going to be that bold.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I honestly don't think alternate activations is very good for 40K. Unless it turns out I'm completely wrong (and it has been known to happen) I doubt if bother playing anymore as it turns into a draining slog back and forth of calculating which activation order you should be using and cursing your opponents double turns on top of everything else there is to remember.

At least right now when it's your opponents turn you have breathing room to sit and think about what you're doing next, only standing up to roll dice you're asked to roll.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I was really surprised that Horus Heresy reactions didn't make it into 10th.

They're a straight-up improvement to the systems.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Got to save something for 11th edition. :cheeky:
Knowing how protracted the development timetable is for editions it really wouldn't surprise me if I we saw it during 11th edition and HH2.0 is/was the test bed for it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
After playing normal 40k i think honestly the turn structure as is is fine. Im gonna be honest, me and my friends like 40k more because it requires less papework to keep track of everything, kill team and normal 40k are the same overall time investment per game.

Coronzom
May 2, 2009
I’ve been out of 40k for a while. How do squad markings work with primaris marines now? It used to be 1-6 are tactical, 7-8 assault, 9-10 devastator. But there’s way more than 2 tours of fire support and assault now. Does each squad just swap between being intercessors or heavy intercessors and hellblasters or inceptors etc.? I always liked the older school Blood Angel look with all the markings but not sure what that’s supposed to be anymore.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Coronzom posted:

I’ve been out of 40k for a while. How do squad markings work with primaris marines now? It used to be 1-6 are tactical, 7-8 assault, 9-10 devastator. But there’s way more than 2 tours of fire support and assault now. Does each squad just swap between being intercessors or heavy intercessors and hellblasters or inceptors etc.? I always liked the older school Blood Angel look with all the markings but not sure what that’s supposed to be anymore.

They seem to keep introducing new Primaris marines all the time so I would think that the numbers might not be set in stone at this time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't quite know if they have strict regimental organizations anymore, I haven't really seen that in the codices aside from alluding to it

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

"The codex system still works with the Primaris, trust us" is about the vibe I'm getting with how little time and effort they've spent on that.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
They have kind of broadly divided the different new Primaris squads into "Battleline," which are equivalent to tactical squads, "Close Support," which are equivalent to assault squads, and "Fire Support," which are equivalent to devastators. A standard company still has the same number of squads in the same designation, the name has just changed A squad that is designated one of these types can be equipped in as any of the multitude of nounverb gunhavers that fall under their designation.

The main issue that crops up here is that Primaris squads have wildly different sizes now, and how exactly squads would be divided into sub-squads or how they would actually be marked is entirely unexplained.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

Due to a language oversight, the Ministorum could not have a standing army of men, but it said nothing about an army of women!

They invoked the ancient Terran Rule of Aer Budde.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Note that in recent lore the language loophole that allows the Sisters of Battle to exist was an intentional reward for the faithful that killed Goge Vandire and ended the Age of Aposty

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Question for home players without massive dining room tables: how do you manage getting a properly sized board? My table can reach 60" with leaves but is only about 33" in the other direction which is a pretty significant loss depending on the board orientation. Neither of my friends who I play with have tables in the right size either but we've been trying to think of solutions for a topper (in my mind four 22x30" rectangles with something like mortise and tenons works perfectly but watching a shitload of This Old House only gives me ideas and no actual experience or knowledge of woodworking) and it only occurred to us last night to see if anyone else had solved this problem. Google doesn't really give me much to go off of but maybe Goon expertise has the answer.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Big sheet of plywood and spraypaint/painter's tape to mark off the boundaries is what I did in one apartment. With two people it's fairly simple to lift on and off the other table to get it in and out of storage. Not very sturdy though, one good fall will break off a fair sized corner. Cheap and easily replaceable when that happens.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

rantmo posted:

Question for home players without massive dining room tables: how do you manage getting a properly sized board? My table can reach 60" with leaves but is only about 33" in the other direction which is a pretty significant loss depending on the board orientation. Neither of my friends who I play with have tables in the right size either but we've been trying to think of solutions for a topper (in my mind four 22x30" rectangles with something like mortise and tenons works perfectly but watching a shitload of This Old House only gives me ideas and no actual experience or knowledge of woodworking) and it only occurred to us last night to see if anyone else had solved this problem. Google doesn't really give me much to go off of but maybe Goon expertise has the answer.

two fold up 8'x4' tables work fine for me, also it's always good to have those tables on hand anyways.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Tangy Zizzle posted:

two fold up 8'x4' tables work fine for me, also it's always good to have those tables on hand anyways.

Sadly, I live in a one bedroom condo and there's just no room to set something like that up. That's why I'm trying to come up with a clever table topper option.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

rantmo posted:

Sadly, I live in a one bedroom condo and there's just no room to set something like that up. That's why I'm trying to come up with a clever table topper option.

Why dont you do what i did and go to game shops to play in, or use the floor, or find a friend who has more room.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Why dont you do what i did and go to game shops to play in, or use the floor, or find a friend who has more room.

Well we do have an excellent FLGS with tables in the basement but they're frequently spoken for in the evenings when we have time to play, though it is something I'd like to do, the Warhammer community there is really cool, based on the Discord server for it. As for a friend with more room, if any of us had that kind of room, we'd use it but poor theatre folk as we are, we're working with what we've got.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
If there's a public library nearby, they sometimes have rooms you can reserve. Their hours might be more limited and they may not have tables of the size you need, but it's worth looking into.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

More people should be using libraries if they are options imo

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

rantmo posted:

Well we do have an excellent FLGS with tables in the basement but they're frequently spoken for in the evenings when we have time to play, though it is something I'd like to do, the Warhammer community there is really cool, based on the Discord server for it. As for a friend with more room, if any of us had that kind of room, we'd use it but poor theatre folk as we are, we're working with what we've got.

A friend of mine's got 3 boards that he can just put over a table to make a full sized 40k board, it's a lot easier to store than just 1 full sized piece too.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

ro5s posted:

A friend of mine's got 3 boards that he can just put over a table to make a full sized 40k board, it's a lot easier to store than just 1 full sized piece too.

Yeah, I think that's the direction I'll have to go, I'll just have to find the right material, something with enough rigidity to not flex too much.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Do 10th Ed games seem to be shorter than 9th Ed games were?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

rantmo posted:

Yeah, I think that's the direction I'll have to go, I'll just have to find the right material, something with enough rigidity to not flex too much.

Back in my youth I used an MDF sheet cut into 3 pieces, I think it was 3/4" thick? Do you have access to a home Depot like store? Do you own power tools (although you could rent say a circular saw for a day) or have friends with tools?

These days I have a game table that's collapsible, which works quite nicely but it is flimsy and expensive. I paid $275 2 years ago and I just looked now and holy moly it's $375. There's probably similar quality cheaper tables out there I'd have to imagine but currently being lazy on my couch so maybe later I'll google around.

https://firmerterra.com/product/alpha-game-table-2022/

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Do 10th Ed games seem to be shorter than 9th Ed games were?

Yeah they seem like they go shorter by maybe half an hour.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Can confirm games are shorter. I joined a 10th edition tournament while I only had two games under my belt, so I was worried I wouldn’t be fast enough to finish my games (it happened a lot in 9th tournaments). Not even close, the one game that didn’t get through turn 5 was against a semi new guard player who just had so much stuff on the board he took a lot of time for his turns.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

tangy yet delightful posted:

Back in my youth I used an MDF sheet cut into 3 pieces, I think it was 3/4" thick? Do you have access to a home Depot like store? Do you own power tools (although you could rent say a circular saw for a day) or have friends with tools?

These days I have a game table that's collapsible, which works quite nicely but it is flimsy and expensive. I paid $275 2 years ago and I just looked now and holy moly it's $375. There's probably similar quality cheaper tables out there I'd have to imagine but currently being lazy on my couch so maybe later I'll google around.

https://firmerterra.com/product/alpha-game-table-2022/

I saw that table earlier and it's pretty cool but also way more expensive than I want to spend. I don't have tools but that's what fathers-in-law are for, though now that I think of it I also have some scene designer friends who would also be easily bribed into some simple cutting and live much closer. Something like a 1/2" to 3/4" thick sheet is what I've been figuring on.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

rantmo posted:

I saw that table earlier and it's pretty cool but also way more expensive than I want to spend. I don't have tools but that's what fathers-in-law are for, though now that I think of it I also have some scene designer friends who would also be easily bribed into some simple cutting and live much closer. Something like a 1/2" to 3/4" thick sheet is what I've been figuring on.

If you're in the UK you can buy foldable decorating/pasting table - it's a bit of plywood sheet with wooden bracing built. Normally they're a pair of 3'x 1.5' rectangles joined at the short edge with hinges but you can easily move the hinges to get a square. Saves a lot of the woodworking.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

US but that's another potentially useful avenue to search, so thanks!

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Coronzom posted:

With the first wave of primaris introductions, I believe that they did mention 100 guys in a company was remaining the standard, but the standard "squad" was changed from 10 marines to 5. So you have the option of numbering squads up to XX aka 20 if you like or retain the old organization. I kind of think that the 3 marine boxes/unit sizes are kinda divorced from the fluff that is still 5 or 10. It's definitely a bit more fast and loose than in editions past, as others have said.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

rantmo posted:

I have a couple of 30"x44"x12mm MDF boards which are heavy and sturdy enough to not be easily jostled around mid-game, while also small enough to store by leaning against a wall or tuck behind a couch. Used to be one board per 1000pts, but 10th has - very sensibly - decided that 60x44 is 1k-2k so now it's one for combat patrol, 2 for normal games, 3 for big games. I considered drilling holes into the sides and sticking magnets in to make them really immobile, but it turned out to be unnecessary once I got them on the table, the weight keeps them in place.

They're dead simple to paint too, I just got some fine grit medium and spread it around, which has about the same grit as GW's texture paints, and then cover it with acrylic paint, shade it with a tin of that army painter dip stuff, and drybrush with more acrylic paint, then cover it with matte varnish because that AP shade is glossy as hell. I also hit the sides and underneath with black spraypaint so they look nicer when stored. If you're a crazy person like me you can also scatter a few thin slate chips onto the medium while it's drying, and then paint them as rocks, but make sure they don't stick up too much so you can still place flat terrain bases on it. It's a bit of work but IMO much more satisfying than the cardboard battle boards, and what is this hobby for if not a foolish exercise in diorama making?

I wouldn't recommend doing 30x22 boards though. You REALLY don't want a board to tip off the edge of the table and send all your minis crashing to the floor, and having a seam down the middle increases the danger zone there and, also, it'll look nicer if there's fewer seams on the table.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You can use clamps to help secure a board to a table if you do end up having the edge of the board go over one set of sides of the table.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It never would have occurred to me to actually paint the boards but that is such a loving great idea, I'm embarrassed that I never would have thought about it. As for the board sizes themselves, I'm trying to strike a balance between stability and ease of storage, which is why I was thinking three panels but that's definitely something to put a lot of thought into. Maybe three with dowels or the like just to prevent any individual one from going off like a rake into Sideshow Bob. I'll have to ponder that but this is a very promising direction.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I like to imagine the chapter organisation stuff is handwaved away now because it is very very dumb for 1,000 Ultramarines and auxiliaries to resist an entire Black Legion invasion of their homeworld.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Like, in the lore? There are so many Ultramarine successor chapters that can come help the Ultramarines at a moment's notice it's ridiculous. Then there's their support fleets and auxiliaries...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

rantmo posted:

It never would have occurred to me to actually paint the boards but that is such a loving great idea, I'm embarrassed that I never would have thought about it. As for the board sizes themselves, I'm trying to strike a balance between stability and ease of storage, which is why I was thinking three panels but that's definitely something to put a lot of thought into. Maybe three with dowels or the like just to prevent any individual one from going off like a rake into Sideshow Bob. I'll have to ponder that but this is a very promising direction.

Any kind of extra stability would be wise. Thankfully I never upended a section doing something like that, but I've come close.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you want to paint it, but don't want to flock it because that is a lot of effort, you can get spray wall texture at the hardware store, like orange peel wall texture and spray that first and then paint to give a bit of visual variation without a lot of effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Like, in the lore? There are so many Ultramarine successor chapters that can come help the Ultramarines at a moment's notice it's ridiculous. Then there's their support fleets and auxiliaries...

"At a moment's notice" may be pushing it. Those chapters all have protectorates and wars/defenses they are currently pursuing, and many cannot drop everything and book for Ultramar unless they are happy to let whole sectors get eaten by Tyranids, swamped with rowdy orks or socialized by the T'au.

Add in the vagaries of warp travel and it may be weeks, months or even years before significant reinforcemernts arrive. Unless the plot needs them to get there immediately, of course!