Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Conflicting reports, but I'll think about it.

Right now I'm bouncing around between armies and trying to figure out what I want from 40K. I still love the idea of imperial guard and a proper wargame, but that's not what 40K seems to be about, as I mentioned before it still feels kinda depressing to play them win or lose. I'm sure guard is still fine and they can do well, but it's not quiet the close range charge distance sort of game that everyone seems to want to play.

Edit: I understand that they have the tools to deal with a lot of situations, but I also understand that after three games I barely know anything and can't make good use of all those tools in every situation.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Scorpions are actually kinda good, especiallly if you kitbash one of them to be Karen Draws, the Pheonix Lord. They can infiltrate (start in no man’s land) and they do lots of mostly unblockable dev wounds.

You made me look up if the Eldar actually had a Phoenix Lord named Karen, who I assumed had a "I need to talk to your farseer" haircut.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Lostconfused posted:

Right now I'm bouncing around between armies and trying to figure out what I want from 40K. I still love the idea of imperial guard and a proper wargame, but that's not what 40K seems to be about, as I mentioned before it still feels kinda depressing to play them win or lose. I'm sure guard is still fine and they can do well, but it's not quiet the close range charge distance sort of game that everyone seems to want to play.

Edit: I understand that they have the tools to deal with a lot of situations, but I also understand that after three games I barely know anything and can't make good use of all those tools in every situation.

Basically I feel like all the armies of 40K can be aligned on three different spectrums of play.

Do you want your army to be more elite or more horde?
Do you want to shoot or get into melee?
Do you want to play straightforward or have a lot of tricks?

There’s variance because detachments exist, and basically every army has some shooting or melee or tricks, but pretty much every army is defined by their combined position on those three spectrums. Custodes are an elite, melee, straightforward army. Orks are a horde, melee, straightforward army. Aeldari are an elite-ish shooting army with lots of tricks.

Armies with detachments, like Necrons or Space Marines, have more varied answers because like Ironstorm Black Templars are very different from Gladius Black Templars. (But also the Space Marine answer to the above three questions is “yes.”)

It’s not a perfect scale but it has really helped friends of mine quickly pick an army when I’ve taught the game on TTS or with a faction I own.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Lostconfused posted:

I think you are having a normal time with learning to play - try to remember 'The Rule of Cool' and remember it's just a game. If your little plastic dollies look the way you want you're all set

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Had an idea for using Eliminators to make an Intercession Kill Team, backburnered it for a bit, then just came back to it and wrapped it up this week.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Looking at Eldar lists and it's all swooping hawks and war spiders. But what if I think striking scorpions and banshees look better?

Scorpions can make a good unit taking advantage of their infiltrate, but banshees feel real awful in this index and will probably get whomped by most other factions dedicated melee troops, combination of too fragile and not killy enough.

Spiders and Hawks are used so much because they have great mobility for playing objectives and surprisingly potential shooting with lethal hits/devastating wounds.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I can't find any rules about this but i just want to make sure.

Dedicated anti-air weapons (i.e. weapons that are good against fliers but worse against everything else) aren't a thing anymore, right? I ask because the icarus array+daedalus launcher seems like a good weapon choice for an onager dunecrawler that wants to focus more on anti-infantry, rather than using the neutron laser for anti-tank. But I seem to recall that weapon choice taking some sort of penalty against ground targets in a previous version of the game. Is that rule just gone?

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 27, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Whats the new thread title referencing?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Al-Saqr posted:

Whats the new thread title referencing?

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Scorpions are actually kinda good, especiallly if you kitbash one of them to be Karen Draws, the Pheonix Lord. They can infiltrate (start in no man’s land) and they do lots of mostly unblockable dev wounds.

Karandras (translation, "The Shadow Hunter") is the Eldar Phoenix Lord of the Striking Scorpions Aspect.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Lol thanks when you think about it Banshees are Karens Drawing their swords.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I'd like to speak to your Autarch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

sharkmafia posted:

I can't find any rules about this but i just want to make sure.

Dedicated anti-air weapons (i.e. weapons that are good against fliers but worse against everything else) aren't a thing anymore, right? I ask because the icarus array+daedalus launcher seems like a good weapon choice for an onager dunecrawler that wants to focus more on anti-infantry, rather than using the neutron laser for anti-tank. But I seem to recall that weapon choice taking some sort of penalty against ground targets in a previous version of the game. Is that rule just gone?

AFAICT AA weapons now have Anti-Flyer and are better at hitting flyers rather than worse at hitting everything else.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I think you are having a normal time with learning to play - try to remember 'The Rule of Cool' and remember it's just a game. If your little plastic dollies look the way you want you're all set

Yeah but playing a fun game or having an idea to work towards really helps get that motivation to work on and paint an army going.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
yeah totally

I started guard at the start of the pandemic and collected for over a year without playing, it's definitely something to get used to

It also might be that your game group isn't gelling yet, it'll come together! get some more reps in, try some different unit combos, good luck!

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Minor Sisters of Battle Rhino question. Can it only have either the hunter seeker missile or the twin bolt gun, but not both?

Bought a Sisters of Battle combat patrol at the start of the year and am starting to assemble it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought you could trick them out like a lottery winner at the Cadillac dealership

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Laughing Zealot posted:

Minor Sisters of Battle Rhino question. Can it only have either the hunter seeker missile or the twin bolt gun, but not both?

Bought a Sisters of Battle combat patrol at the start of the year and am starting to assemble it.
If I'm reading their index right, you get both, however the missile only has one shot per battle. Has 10th edition moved away from what you see is what you get on the models somewhat, or am I hallucinating that?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Nessus posted:

If I'm reading their index right, you get both, however the missile only has one shot per battle. Has 10th edition moved away from what you see is what you get on the models somewhat, or am I hallucinating that?

Kind of yes, in that people are going to take all the free stuff even if it wasn’t modelled. All my guard tanks have hunter killers/heavy stubbers I never bothered gluing on when they cost points, my plague champion’s bolters are all plasma guns and all my GSC acolytes have autopistol shaped hand flamers now, stuff like that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ro5s posted:

Kind of yes, in that people are going to take all the free stuff even if it wasn’t modelled. All my guard tanks have hunter killers/heavy stubbers I never bothered gluing on when they cost points, my plague champion’s bolters are all plasma guns and all my GSC acolytes have autopistol shaped hand flamers now, stuff like that.
Logical. I was assembling some marines since these space nuns confound me and leave me dissatisfied with my painting skills, and I was sweating a little about picking which little gunny bits to glue on. It is much simpler if I can just declare "these are my guys but I picked the multigun option" -- presumably if there are any either-or calls you have to make them before the game.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

ro5s posted:

Oh, that's allowed even for official/sanctioned stuff? Obviously nobody gives a poo poo whether you actually have all your stubbers modeled in casual games but GW seems like the type to be a stickler for that

I've been using spare parts from my skorpius disintegrator kits to model the stubbers i, similarly, did not bother putting on my dunecrawlers back when they cost points. i guess it's fine either way

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It's a good opportunity to kitbash some weird new guns onto your tanks and such.

I find it so odd that hunter-killer missiles are just kinda standard now. Maybe that's just oldhammer brain.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 28, 2024

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Am I going to catch poo poo for using a two headed fateweaver as an LoC in tournaments? I'm kinda just assembling my greater daemons to look cool. It's going to suck if I have to buy a double one day just for WYSIWYG

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Tzeentch is all about consistency and conforming to regulations.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
just important to have a way to remember that you have/haven't fired your hunter killer yet so your opponent can easily tell

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah lord of change has this weird obsession with order couldnt possibly deviate from the norm. how dare you

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just say that one of the heads is vestigial.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Athas posted:

Tzeentch is all about consistency and conforming to regulations.

You can't spell Tzeentch without OSHA

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

hell yeah i'm into OSHA

khOrne
Slaanesh
tzeentcH
nurgle's gf ishA

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Appropriate that you can spell Nurgle without OSHA

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a good opportunity to kitbash some weird new guns onto your tanks and such.

I find it so odd that hunter-killer missiles are just kinda standard now. Maybe that's just oldhammer brain.

Growing up reading 3rd/4th edition before this latest round of interest, it fucks with my head that all these wargear options are technically free, and also that I can't cost out models individually. I have a near aneurysm whenever I look at my Guard index and have to cope with the fact that I can't fill a Chimera or Valkyrie to capacity without overcosting the unit for choices that aren't 10 guardsmen and 2 leader models.

But then I read the Stormlord and its absolutely silly 40 model capacity with Firing Deck 24. That warms my heart. I'm not sure how great that would actually be on the tabletop, haven't actually played once in my life yet. But it's funny.

Tangy Zizzle posted:

just important to have a way to remember that you have/haven't fired your hunter killer yet so your opponent can easily tell

The main reason I want to model all the greebly wargear is to do stupid poo poo with magnets if I'm being honest. Yeah let me fire this hunter killer and pull it off the model because magnets. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that's cool, but I don't care they're my toys I can do what I want.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 28, 2024

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Warmachine posted:

The main reason I want to model all the greebly wargear is to do stupid poo poo with magnets if I'm being honest. Yeah let me fire this hunter killer and pull it off the model because magnets. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that's cool, but I don't care they're my toys I can do what I want.

No magnets are cool I’m similarly into magnetizing everything.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Magnets are cool and I love to fiddle with them, but I hate how it increases the chances of my miniature exploding if I handle it incorrectly.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Free wargear is mostly a good thing. The only value in paying 5 points for a HK or plasma pistol is to use up leftover points in a list or to remove them to free up points for something you actually care about. There are cases where the free wargear actually works, Bolter vs Plasma Inceptors or the gun on the Castigator for example. There are also cases where they don't like Heavy Bolter vs Lascannon Havocs where they should split the datasheet out like they did with Crisis Suits.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

How do the Votann and Imperium get along in the lore? I know Squats used to occupy some weird space where they were sorta/not totally part of the Imperium and I'm curious how much of that (if any) carried over.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Votann aren't fan of the Imperium, but they can still do some trading or mercenary work with them. No fans of the AdMech either for that part.

Meanwhile the Imperium seems them either as abhumans or just another Xenos empire.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
And the Votann play up the Xenos belief from the Imperium to avoid getting dragged into their bullshit.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Am I going to catch poo poo for using a two headed fateweaver as an LoC in tournaments? I'm kinda just assembling my greater daemons to look cool. It's going to suck if I have to buy a double one day just for WYSIWYG

Make a greenstuff bird hood to cover one of the heads when it's a normal LoC

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I magnatized the middle on a chimera I'm.builfimg and I'm looking forward to plucking it off and yeeting it straight into my opponents army getting me kicked out of the game store for life.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wrr posted:

I magnatized the middle on a chimera I'm.builfimg and I'm looking forward to plucking it off and yeeting it straight into my opponents army getting me kicked out of the game store for life.

At least fill it with lead fishing weights to give it some heft if you are going to go to the trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

And the Votann play up the Xenos belief from the Imperium to avoid getting dragged into their bullshit.
It seems likely that the Imperium as a whole doesn't know there are "Leagues of Votann" as opposed to "squat enclaves, some of whom send us minerals, and some of whom do raidy poo poo and appear to be loathesome xenos."