Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The funniest part of this is the guys doing the "how do you do fellow kids" meme irl by half reading 40k lore and trying to deploy it completely inaccurately in their screeds.

Saw one guy say that "the Space Marines will never bow to Chaos"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

xtothez posted:

Arbitor Ian did a video on this topic recently, digging into how the darker side of social media interacts with the hobby. Definitely recommend a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4oW6CzIsIE

Whoever the muscly guy on the left is during the first few seconds with the drama thing issued an apology for something during a video I watched and he used the phrase “I was being retarded”, so I told him it was a lovely apology and to grow up and he asked if we could discuss things offsite.

I said no thanks lol

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

AnEdgelord posted:

The funniest part of this is the guys doing the "how do you do fellow kids" meme irl by half reading 40k lore and trying to deploy it completely inaccurately in their screeds.

Someone mistakenly provided me with Sisters of Battle lore instead of Sisters of Silence lore while attempting to justify the argument that the existence of female Custodes violates the dynamic between male Custodes and Sisters of Silence.

These people know poo poo about gently caress.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AnEdgelord posted:

A fan who engage with the material without even reading a webpage. A shameful fan

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

One of my 40k buddies says he is making a lady Sanguinius model but is calling it Sandyguinius and saying it's now lore just to piss off a local chris-chan guy at our local gaming store.

Good times.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Super Waffle posted:

I'm keeping an eye out for Golden Girls sculpts for my Kill Team. Sofia will be the leader.

Well looky what I found

https://blacksitestudio.com/products/golden-gun-girls

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Turns out 40K was always a combat patrol game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM0yn6xF1gU&t=1265s

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

And on the topic of space marine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXZP-6-A4Nw

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lostconfused posted:

Turns out 40K was always a combat patrol game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM0yn6xF1gU&t=1265s

He's talking specifically about 2nd edition, which was definitely designed for small games and had several rules that ballooned ridiculously out of control as the game scaled up. One of those he mentions - individual fire arcs for each model, which got insanely tedious as the forces grew, but melee was also a nightmare. In 2nd hand to hand combat wasn't fought between squads, you divided it up into individual duels between models based on contact and proximity. If a model was outnumbered, you simply fought two separate duels sequentially with bonuses to the additional fighters. This meant that if your Avatar charged into a squad of gretchin, you didn't roll a bunch of attacks and then remove X number of grots, you had to roll off individually between the Avatar and each grot that he fought.

Plus you could do stuff like Parry and force your enemy to reroll dice.

Edit: But yea I think 40k should really be a game that is staged at the Character-and-two-squads level, but mostly because I am old and cannot spend 6 hours on a single game any more.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Fair, but I think that's what's funny about it that despite the difference in systems and years you still arrive at the same "sweet spot" of points and time required for the game.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Ashcans posted:

He's talking specifically about 2nd edition, which was definitely designed for small games and had several rules that ballooned ridiculously out of control as the game scaled up. One of those he mentions - individual fire arcs for each model, which got insanely tedious as the forces grew, but melee was also a nightmare. In 2nd hand to hand combat wasn't fought between squads, you divided it up into individual duels between models based on contact and proximity. If a model was outnumbered, you simply fought two separate duels sequentially with bonuses to the additional fighters. This meant that if your Avatar charged into a squad of gretchin, you didn't roll a bunch of attacks and then remove X number of grots, you had to roll off individually between the Avatar and each grot that he fought.

Plus you could do stuff like Parry and force your enemy to reroll dice.

Edit: But yea I think 40k should really be a game that is staged at the Character-and-two-squads level, but mostly because I am old and cannot spend 6 hours on a single game any more.

And Terminators had a 3+ save... on 2d6. Rogue Trader and 2nd were amazing.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Yeah same if I’m being honest. There’s just something about the daddy issue lads that makes them appealing. But I recognize this is unfair to 50%+ of the species plus it would make the worst people mad so I don’t really care if they go with womenstartes.

Also the old models that everyone cites as being female space marines weren’t actually that, they were just called lady warriors or something like that. They’re clearly in what would be known as space marine armor, but it’s a valid argument to say they were proto sisters of battle too.

it is not unfair to say that women can't be warrior monks when warrior nuns are right there

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Boys with daddy issues: a unique pain worthy of science fiction, we can write 70 books about this easy peasy

Girls with daddy issues: uhhh this doesn't exist???

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I don't think I even care about the 40K fiction anymore.

I checked out at the end of 3rd edition, and trying to catch up on everything that's been written since feels like it only gets in the way of me playing with my little plastic toys.

edit: The toy soldiers looking like just some world war 1 and 2 guys might have some influence here though.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 17, 2024

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I really miss the galaxy maps and notable event timelines that used to be in the codexes. I just can't be bothered trying to care about Black Library novels. The setting is much better better when presented in short snippets without hundreds of pages of muscle flexing and grunting.

I guess the rulebook has some of that, but by it's very nature the information has to be too generalized there. I think I actually miss campaign books, back when GW actually bothered to do a bunch of detail for them. The end of 7th books were dire. :(

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Demilich posted:

Someone mistakenly provided me with Sisters of Battle lore instead of Sisters of Silence lore while attempting to justify the argument that the existence of female Custodes violates the dynamic between male Custodes and Sisters of Silence.

this guy, while an annoying misogynist, has the keenest possible grasp of 40K backstory. 40K "lore" is like a flying carpet that only works when you aren't thinking about elephants. if you know too much about it, you are forever barred from understanding its single great truth: every piece of 40K fiction is some half-misremembered bullshit that exists only to do whatever it is that you were wanting to do anyway.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah there's no strict canon (aside from the HH stuff I guess??) so there's always room to make up your own poo poo. They even specifically carved out "Chaos corrupted Sisters of Battle" although thankfully they made them Khorne corrupted and not the Slaanesh corruption that you see people always trying to make a thing.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I mean even with the horus heresy they retconned the beakie armour to be more plentiful than it originally was in the lore because that was the face of the new plastics. Solar Auxilia was basically a random project from a FW guy that they turned into a faction and they aren't really referenced at all in any of the black library heresy books.

I guess GW are so committed to the kayfabe that this ends up being easier for them to do institutionally than "hey a lot of this poo poo was written in the 80s, we have different standards now and having to service those old standards in our current product is holding it back" post.

Even if you just sat in the lore there's so much flexibility and open space to do your own poo poo that I'm way more compelled by someone saying oh yeah here are all my female custodes, that's my interpretation of the faction than having to wait for permission from a bit of fluff in a codex.

It is funny how mentioning a female character in a small lore dump is basically the equivalent of Disney having all these LGBT moments from background characters that can easily be cut out. Like it's so silly to treat 40k lore as written in stone tablets that cannot ever be changed.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lostconfused posted:

I don't think I even care about the 40K fiction anymore.

Decorus posted:

I just can't be bothered trying to care about Black Library novels.

There's a few really good BL novels, which are generally written by people who stopped to think about the setting for more than a few minutes and as a result wrote some actual science fiction.

• The Night Lords Trilogy - Aaron Dembski-Bowden explores how most Chaos warbands would be constantly low on resources and fighting enemies external and internal. Tragic and funny.
  • The Twice Dead King Ruin/Rein - Nate Crowley uses two books to talk about how hosed up it would be to be ancient robots who remember being alive, also has an aside part way through about how weird and horrible Space Marines are from an outside perspective.
  • Day Of Ascension - Adrian Tchaikovsky asks "What's worse, being a slave of the Mechanicus, or being a Genestealer cultist enslaved to your own DNA?"
  • Necropolis - Much lower concept than the others on the list, but "what if Stalingrad but in SPACE" is a hell of a hook from Dan Abnett. Starts with a lot of normal Imperial citizens about to have a really bad day. Contains zero (0) Space Marines.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

there are now lore events happening in the 42nd millennium and yet the title of the game has not been updated to 'warhammer 41000' MODS

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Paragon8 posted:

I mean even with the horus heresy they retconned the beakie armour to be more plentiful than it originally was in the lore because that was the face of the new plastics. Solar Auxilia was basically a random project from a FW guy that they turned into a faction and they aren't really referenced at all in any of the black library heresy books.

I guess GW are so committed to the kayfabe that this ends up being easier for them to do institutionally than "hey a lot of this poo poo was written in the 80s, we have different standards now and having to service those old standards in our current product is holding it back" post.

Even if you just sat in the lore there's so much flexibility and open space to do your own poo poo that I'm way more compelled by someone saying oh yeah here are all my female custodes, that's my interpretation of the faction than having to wait for permission from a bit of fluff in a codex.

It is funny how mentioning a female character in a small lore dump is basically the equivalent of Disney having all these LGBT moments from background characters that can easily be cut out. Like it's so silly to treat 40k lore as written in stone tablets that cannot ever be changed.

I was thinking more specifically like "Well Ferrus Manus picked his nose on the 58th year of the Great Crusade and said man that's gross maybe if I was a robot this wouldn't happen" or whatever

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

[*]Necropolis - Much lower concept than the others on the list, but "what if Stalingrad but in SPACE" is a hell of a hook from Dan Abnett. Starts with a lot of normal Imperial citizens about to have a really bad day. Contains zero (0) Space Marines.

notably this is a gaunts ghosts novel, so although i guess there's nothing stopping you from reading it by itself it is part of a series with some associated continuity. i think a bunch of the other gaunts ghosts books are pretty decent anyway so its not really a problem. GG contains many such 'what if x war thing but in SPACE' premises, and intermittent more high-concept stuff

the only other 40k stuff ive read a lot of is the ciaphas cain books which i think everyone knows anyway but if someone doesn't: it's basically the flashman papers in a 40k setting. cain is also much more of a likeable character than flashman to be fair to him

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 17, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I've only read one Black Library book and it was Talon of Horus and it was neat seeing Abaddon portrayed as kind of a Warrior-Philosopher who was so disillusioned with the way the Heresy turned out he just spent a few decades roaming around picking up random poo poo and learning how to brew hooch. Also how the Traitor Legions have their own names for warp creatures like Neverborn for Daemons and War God for Khorne.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

sharkmafia posted:

notably this is a gaunts ghosts novel, so although i guess there's nothing stopping you from reading it by itself it is part of a series with some associated continuity. i think a bunch of the other gaunts ghosts books are pretty decent anyway so its not really a problem. GG contains many such 'what if x war thing but in SPACE' premises, and intermittent more high-concept stuff

To be fair Necropolis is only the third GG book and the first two are anthologies more to get you familiarized with the characters, so it's a reasonable enough standalone or jumping in point.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Correction, it's only Ghostmaker that is an anthology. Meanwhile First and Only was initially published in Inferno magazine and then later turned into a novel.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

There's a few really good BL novels, which are generally written by people who stopped to think about the setting for more than a few minutes and as a result wrote some actual science fiction.

we cannot call them that

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

• The Night Lords Trilogy - Aaron Dembski-Bowden explores how most Chaos warbands would be constantly low on resources and fighting enemies external and internal. Tragic and funny.
  • The Twice Dead King Ruin/Rein - Nate Crowley uses two books to talk about how hosed up it would be to be ancient robots who remember being alive, also has an aside part way through about how weird and horrible Space Marines are from an outside perspective.
  • Day Of Ascension - Adrian Tchaikovsky asks "What's worse, being a slave of the Mechanicus, or being a Genestealer cultist enslaved to your own DNA?"
  • Necropolis - Much lower concept than the others on the list, but "what if Stalingrad but in SPACE" is a hell of a hook from Dan Abnett. Starts with a lot of normal Imperial citizens about to have a really bad day. Contains zero (0) Space Marines.

Thanks, I'll consider giving one of those a try if I happen to come across one.

My dislike of 40k literature isn't because I think it's all terrible (though of the four books I've read only one (a Cain novel) was even worth finishing). It's just the nature of novels requiring things like protagonists and their actions etc getting in the way of the setting exposition, which usually means that there's no time to flesh out the parts that I'm interested in. Probably due to top down directives of what your average BL writer is allowed to speculate and expand on.

It's not like I haven't read my fair share of terrible scifi stuff, I read most of the Star Wars expanded universe stuff until somewhere around the arrival of the Yuzaan Vong (however that's supposed to be spelled). I doubt I could stomach those books either, these days.

I think I'm turning into a military history nerd for a fake future, IA3 The Taros Campaign is my favourite GW material ever. I really regret not getting all the IA books back in the day. :(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ominous Jazz posted:

we cannot call them that

They're all Brothers who Love (the Emperor)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ominous Jazz posted:

we cannot call them that

Eej posted:

and then there's Ian Watson's SPACE MARINE

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Decorus posted:

I think I'm turning into a military history nerd for a fake future, IA3 The Taros Campaign is my favourite GW material ever. I really regret not getting all the IA books back in the day. :(

I have all three Vraks books and kind of wish I had a couple of the other ones.

But the Sabbat World Crusades book does scratch that very similar itch, because it's an in-setting history book that looks at the crusade itself from the start up to the latest (non-prequel) book. It doesn't really go in-depth (except when it uses material from another book that Abnett wrote) but it comes with regiments of renown color profiles and everything.
Just a shame it's been out of print for a couple of years now.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Eej posted:

we can call them that
we all know women who are brothers

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Brother, the gender neutral dude of 40k.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The two genders: brother and heretic.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

loving Moron posted:

One of my 40k buddies says he is making a lady Sanguinius model but is calling it Sandyguinius and saying it's now lore just to piss off a local chris-chan guy at our local gaming store.

Good times.

Sanguinia, surely?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cessna posted:

Sanguinia, surely?

For a moment I thought this was the FFXIV thread and was very confused.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Nessus posted:

A fan who engage with the material without even reading a webpage. A shameful fan

Seems like there's a lot of those 'fans' complaining about 40k lately

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I saw a click bait that talked about "Sisters of Siren" and didn't understand that Custodes aren't Marines.

It's definitely left the gaming park and is in culture war weeds.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

moths posted:

I saw a click bait that talked about "Sisters of Siren" and didn't understand that Custodes aren't Marines.

It's definitely left the gaming park and is in culture war weeds.

Oh it's broken containment alright

https://twitter.com/CerberusXt/status/1780544655278424163?t=wHUbtUK_bsciUdQHagL-QQ&s=19

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
The new Dawn of Fire series ranges from readable to pretty good, and explores a lot of interesting intersections of factions that would normally have their own book. Sisters meeting Custodes, life as a menial on Terra, average joes meeting primarchs, Iron Warriors and Word Bearers being bros, Space Wolves casually slaughtering Scions that got in the way and no one can do a drat thing about it, and some interesting space marines from obscure chapters getting some attention like Storm Reapers and Marines Malevolent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Eej posted:

I've only read one Black Library book and it was Talon of Horus and it was neat seeing Abaddon portrayed as kind of a Warrior-Philosopher who was so disillusioned with the way the Heresy turned out he just spent a few decades roaming around picking up random poo poo and learning how to brew hooch. Also how the Traitor Legions have their own names for warp creatures like Neverborn for Daemons and War God for Khorne.

This is part of a trilogy that is actually a duology until the Siege of Terra ended so now it's back to a trilogy just with the third book unreleased, but the second book is just as good. The Black Legion trilo-duology is just as good as the Night Lords series imo.

I have a pretty good hit rate on enjoying Black Library novels but I think that might be because I approach it similarly to how I would approach a movie or album before I interact with those and do a little bit of searching around on if it'll actually like it or not before starting it. I started a Good Reads specifically to keep track of the Warhammer books I read here so idk you can use me as a reference point on if one of the books is probably good or not.

Super Waffle posted:

The new Dawn of Fire series ranges from readable to pretty good, and explores a lot of interesting intersections of factions that would normally have their own book. Sisters meeting Custodes, life as a menial on Terra, average joes meeting primarchs, Iron Warriors and Word Bearers being bros, Space Wolves casually slaughtering Scions that got in the way and no one can do a drat thing about it, and some interesting space marines from obscure chapters getting some attention like Storm Reapers and Marines Malevolent.

I'm on Sea of Souls right now and overall I've enjoyed the series but the farther in it gets it feels less like an actual series and more like a collection of books that kinda are about the same thing with very little overlap. I'm cringing a bit at myself now because I just checked my Goodreads and Marc Collins liked my review of book 6 in which I basically said "hey this is good but why is it part of this series"

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 17, 2024