Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
The initially stated goal for the Dawn of Fire series was "This is going to be an epic mega-series like the Horus Heresy novels, but set in the present so not bound to a pre-existing historical timeline." Which does explain why it might wander all over the place.

(I've got a whole 'nother rant about why the Horus Heresy is compelling precisely because of its nature as faux-historical fiction with a fixed ending.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It also doesn't help the series that it also got handed off to Black Library's B-team of writers, while the A team were on Horus Heresy.
Seeing Chris Wraight getting a chance to do one was a surprise because he's definitely one of their good writers.

Will it change now that HH is technically done with? Who knows, but they'll probably find some way to continue that series.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Genuinely wondering about how somebody not initiated into 10 levels of nerd bullshit is able to process any of this information and then get angry about it.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Sharkopath posted:

Genuinely wondering about how somebody not initiated into 10 levels of nerd bullshit is able to process any of this information and then get angry about it.

anyone reading the heil just needs to see the word woke and they've been told how to feel about it

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
The daily heil using AoS imagery in the article is probably the funniest part, or perhaps a close second to the AI Henry Cavill they have in it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sharkopath posted:

Because "WOKE"!!!!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Warhammer is one of UK's most relevant cultural exports these days.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Lostconfused posted:

[derogatory]

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
GW is worth more than the entire UK fishing industry lol

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

It's this and Harry Potter right?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Hell yeah, my FLGS Warhammer Discord just posted a message telling chuds to gently caress entirely off forever and announcing that they're planning a GW Pride event in June which they plan to make a regular event.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

rantmo posted:

Hell yeah, my FLGS Warhammer Discord just posted a message telling chuds to gently caress entirely off forever and announcing that they're planning a GW Pride event in June which they plan to make a regular event.

:black101: the Dojo! I love that place so much.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hell yeah

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Pinwiz11 posted:

:black101: the Dojo! I love that place so much.

I really need to actually play some games there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My favourite Warhammer squadron is the custardmarines

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solus posted:

The daily heil using AoS imagery in the article is probably the funniest part, or perhaps a close second to the AI Henry Cavill they have in it

I hope they used the fully sick image of Yndrasta making GBS threads on a Cthulhu monster.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Super Waffle posted:

The new Dawn of Fire series ranges from readable to pretty good, and explores a lot of interesting intersections of factions that would normally have their own book. Sisters meeting Custodes, life as a menial on Terra, average joes meeting primarchs, Iron Warriors and Word Bearers being bros, Space Wolves casually slaughtering Scions that got in the way and no one can do a drat thing about it, and some interesting space marines from obscure chapters getting some attention like Storm Reapers and Marines Malevolent.

The first dawn of fire novel was the first 40K book I have read after a decade long hiatus, and the “data miner” part on terra was just :discourse:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
I wish I had an archive of the sky-is-falling, end-of-warhammer, boycott-GW forum posts from ca 2001 (was it?) when the Tau were introduced. I'm old and remember the furious uproar about how GW is now catering exclusively to anime nerds and has permanently abandoned grimdark gothic in favor of sleek mecha and nice friendly good guys.

Also jesus gently caress who are these people who are so attached to Custodes lore, it's not even good or remotely interesting. "Genetically modified Imperial supersoldiers like marines but BIGGER and EVEN MORE ELITE" is absolute bottom of the barrel warhams writing.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I can't believe a woke company like Blackrock is forcing the progressive agenda into my Warhams!

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 18, 2024

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

For an actual 40k update, I think adding 1mm between both the shin and the thigh was the sweet spot for me.

I don't have any unbased or plain standing gravis dudes that I can get a size comparison shot of, but at least for a Phobos marine the Custodes is decently taller now.

I tried gap filling with milliput, and it was a miserable experience to be honest. Ultimately I abandoned milliput entirely and developed a new way to go about things with uv resin; I can explain the process of anyone cares. Now I can basically upscale a vanilla Custodes in about 10 to 20 minutes which is nice.

There's so much detail modeled onto the legs and crotch though that I feel the necessary thigh cuts will require some serious repair work to make it not look like garbage on some of the poses. Most of the outer thigh doesn't matter cause the armor flaps will cover it, but the inner part that has all the studded leather loin strips directly connected to it is just asking for trouble.

At this point I'm not sure if I should just model some tactical robes onto some of the Custodes to hide the biggest offenders or if I should model some new crotch armor for everyone like this dude has.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
That's a very cool conversion project, I wish you luck. I don't have any useful advice, but you either find or discover a decent solution. It might be useful for my project of creating upright Ork Boyz out of the old multipart plastics.

Conversion on the left

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They should have revealed the women custodes and in the same paragraph discontinued the army because it sucks rear end

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

"Genetically modified Imperial supersoldiers like marines but BIGGER and EVEN MORE ELITE" is absolute bottom of the barrel warhams writing.

But you can fix that by adding more flaws. Because primarchs were already even more swole and more elite marines, but apparently people like them because they're all raging assholes and shitlords or something.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Solus posted:

GW is worth more than the entire UK fishing industry lol

Is it? GW had revenue of bit over half a billion in 2023, UK fishing industry was over 900 million.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

So "merely" over half, then.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Off topic but I remember after the 2008 financial crisis after all the banks in Iceland collapsed, EVE Online comprised 6% of Iceland's GPD :v:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It sounds like you're saying we need to buy more toy soldiers. Or fewer fish.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Sometimes the kids will have to go without their fish to afford the newest release.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

Off topic but I remember after the 2008 financial crisis after all the banks in Iceland collapsed, EVE Online comprised 6% of Iceland's GPD :v:

That is nowhere near true. At it's nadir after the financial crash Iceland's GDP was 13.5 billion while EVE Online had around 200k active subs, which brought in about 30 million USD annually.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Ominous Jazz posted:

some guy is selling a space nuns combat patrol box for 80 bucks with shipping and now i'm thinking of the adepta sororitas but i'm not wracked with catholic guilt so a lot of it seems gauche.
seems like a crazy good deal that will jump start my "knowing how to 40k" but idk about the space nuns. do they play different enough from the imperial guards that i wouldn't be double dipping? i don't want TWO armies with a million little people running around

edit: i really botched the formatting here my bad

It came around again and I bought it. That's ~500 points from what I've read. I'm gonna get it gussied up and try a game of combat patrol at the local store so I know how the game works. and I'll have some heads left over for the guard so I'll have more women. Any advice on expanding that to 1000?

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 18, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's actually a lot of stuff to paint but if you want to get something immediately get a box of Seraphim/Zephyrim and chop the hands of the Combat Patrol Setaphim at the wrist and glue on your choice of 2x pairs of Inferno Pistols or Hand Flamers so you're not stuck with a squad of Seraphim with just Bolt Pistols. The box you bought can then be built as Zephyrim or Seraphim with the other weapon choice.

Can't go wrong with an Exorcist or Immolator. They're probably getting nerfed but Arco Flagellants are very good right now.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
is that something i can magnetize? because youtube keeps telling me how great the magnetizing is

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Make them however you like and just say they have whatever the good weapon is, unless you really care about wysiwyg.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Really if two of the girls per 5 are holding something different then you can say they're the special weapon holders. Some people try to maximize the hell out of their kits by magnetizing every option but I couldn't be bothered.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
much to think about

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

My brother wanted me to magnetise the Death Korps kill team box at one point. I dissuaded him after going through just how many tiny magnets I would've needed.
In hindsight, probably could've just done the special weapons. But even then that's a pain in the rear end to do with such small arms.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I care about wysiwyg and playing with magnets is fun, it also makes it easier to paint some parts, but it's a huge pain in the rear end to deal with. It's a lot of extra time magnetizing poo poo, it's a hassle to not knock the magnetized parts off when picking the model up, got to make sure they don't get knocked around when transporting them or some parts might come loose.

It's a whole lot of extra hassle for something that very few people might care about, or not might matter to you at all.

Cooked Auto posted:

My brother wanted me to magnetise the Death Korps kill team box at one point. I dissuaded him after going through just how many tiny magnets I would've needed.
In hindsight, probably could've just done the special weapons. But even then that's a pain in the rear end to do with such small arms.

They can already have 3 special weapons in 40K, like do you really care to magnetize the sniper rifle that looks like a lasrifle anyway, or the flamer?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Now if it's like a $100 tank and you can magnetize between the two gun options on the turret you should probably do that.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

For a tank it does make sense, but if you have a spare turret, or can get one 3d printed, you might not even have to do that either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Super Waffle posted:

I feel like the dudes who have a problem with this are the same people who buy the 3rd party big titty "pin up" versions of Krieg commisars and naked Shadowsun

AdRic did a whole bit to open the Magnus episode riffing on people who are upset about female Custodes, and they're the biggest purveyors of pin-up Kriegers and Xenos I can think of.

Mind you that's not necessarily BUYING them, but if they're selling to a known audience and intentionally dunk on said audience, that sounds like a bad business move.

Improbable Lobster posted:

They usually don't have any connection to the hobby at all ime

This rule holds true for most culture war poo poo. The right wing grifters don't care about Star Wars. They care that Star Wars is popular and has something they can hang their grift on.

Ominous Jazz posted:

i don't think it's literally cum

Warhammer 40K 10e: Geneseed is stored in the balls

Someone has made this argument unironically for mono-gender space marines, I'm confident.

But like someone else pointed out: a woman in Space Marine armor isn't going to look any visually different from the outside.

Cease to Hope posted:

this guy, while an annoying misogynist, has the keenest possible grasp of 40K backstory. 40K "lore" is like a flying carpet that only works when you aren't thinking about elephants. if you know too much about it, you are forever barred from understanding its single great truth: every piece of 40K fiction is some half-misremembered bullshit that exists only to do whatever it is that you were wanting to do anyway.

The thing is, this is also true in setting. There is more history in 40k since the Horus Heresy than there is written real life human history. In a world where information storage and access is roughly equivalent to Renaissance-era Europe with some vacuum tube computers thrown in here and there. You are pointedly lying to yourself if you think anyone in the Imperium has anything close to the understanding of events that some random YouTuber does.