Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I was flipping through my copy of Rogue Trader and realized why I thought there were female marines in first edition; I had gotten them mixed up with the early depiction of Sisters of Battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sister Sin, eh? Go on.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I was flipping through my copy of Rogue Trader and realized why I thought there were female marines in first edition; I had gotten them mixed up with the early depiction of Sisters of Battle

This makes me think about the comments from the 80s GW guy who said it was a decision based on the logistics of producing miniatures, which as I think about it...

What is the difference between what they thought a male and female marine was at the time? Was... was it boob plate? I don't know what 1980s old marines sculpts look like, and the only thing that makes sense to me is boob plate, because if in 2024 I wanted to make female marines, it kinda comes down to what head sculpt I stick on a helmetless model, since I legitimately don't think there would be an external difference to the power armor. Why would you compromise the man-portable tank design that is Space Marine power armor by doing anything more exciting than making the torso larger as a whole?

Surely the mechanized armor itself is not 'form fitting' in the sense that an Imperial Guard uniform is, right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Warmachine posted:

This makes me think about the comments from the 80s GW guy who said it was a decision based on the logistics of producing miniatures, which as I think about it...

What is the difference between what they thought a male and female marine was at the time? Was... was it boob plate? I don't know what 1980s old marines sculpts look like, and the only thing that makes sense to me is boob plate, because if in 2024 I wanted to make female marines, it kinda comes down to what head sculpt I stick on a helmetless model, since I legitimately don't think there would be an external difference to the power armor. Why would you compromise the man-portable tank design that is Space Marine power armor by doing anything more exciting than making the torso larger as a whole?

Surely the mechanized armor itself is not 'form fitting' in the sense that an Imperial Guard uniform is, right?

All my female marines are just regular marine bodies with more "feminine" heads :shrug:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Warmachine posted:

This was in the super duper early days when every miniature GW sold was metal. The entire range was a few dozen minis at most. There were two “female space warriors” (Gabs and Jayne) and they weren’t selling well so they were discontinued (along with some others).

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Warmachine posted:

It was boob plate but if I recall correctly it was also the general idea that female models didn't sell, which... yeah, what I remember of how twelve year old boys behaved in the 80s and 90s I can buy that if they'd put out a space marine sergeant or captain figure that was obviously a woman back then, it'd have been a shelfwarmer compared to all the male-gendered pewter. That was back when characters were metal and heads weren't swappable without some work with a saw, and characters were sold individually. And given that they did actually have female models in the line, this is probably backed up with at least some sales data.

Nowadays with modular heads and things like troops coming in sets of five different poses on one sprue where the buyer isn't given the option of only picking out the three obviously male poses and buying those, it's easier to put out gendered options that don't carry a financial risk.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 18, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This was in the super duper early days when every miniature GW sold was metal. The entire range was a few dozen minis at most. There were two “female space warriors” (Gabs and Jayne) and they weren’t selling well so they were discontinued (along with some others).

I forgot that with the pewters you were pretty much down to 'stick the arms on' as far as assembly went. I think the last pewter minis I worked with were for Malifaux back in 2011-ish?

I hated it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Red Sonya is from the mid 80s so yeah, huge boobplate was kind of the thing

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
They're still publishing Red Sonja comics with that chainmail bikini

Like, I wonder if there's some really committed guy out there who's been buying Red Sonja for 40 years.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

smug jeebus posted:

They're still publishing Red Sonja comics with that chainmail bikini

Like, I wonder if there's some really committed guy out there who's been buying Red Sonja for 40 years.

Most Red Sonja fans I know these days are women. Gail Simone did a run of it a bit ago.

EDIT: I mean, I assume in absolute terms there's more men buying it than women but the women who like it tend to be the ones I see talk about it. Possibly because the men are too embarrassed.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 18, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't see how a wizard making women marines precludes you from having chapters that are monastic/gay dude fests anyway. You can just have both. You could have a gnarly chapter of space Amazons that murder everyone like the minotaurs. How is that not something cool?

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Thats it, I'm making some of my Vostroyans women.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

New Cadian set already has women everywhere, and it's even easier with Krieg since you don't even need to swap the heads.

I mean honestly, what is there left for the guard besides maybe Lady Solar?

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 18, 2024

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I've got this mini, this could become a Vostroyan medic real easy. Might have to be my next project.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

We're not getting new catachan miniatures because games-workshop refuses to sculpt multiple body types.

edit:

jesus christ

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 18, 2024

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

The old Catachans are perfect so this is a non-issue. My brother had the beer belly Lt. That model embodies the spirit of 1994 wargaming, or whenever it came out, anytime I see one I just smile.

That is an insanely impressive face, knowing and having painted those models.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

That's one of the catachan command squad ones that came out later and are better sculpts - I think the index is cheeky and uses one of them in the picture for catachan squads too.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

someone painted one of the ancient-rear end catachans at golden demon this year, lol

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

oh ok, phew. I feel better about my abilities again.

Those early catachans, the metal ones, are to mini sculpting what squash and stretch are to animation. If you look at them closely they are all abominations of bad proportions. Pull back and look at the group and they look way better than most modern minis. Their bulk and exaggerated proportions makes each mini stand out and feel like a character, but taken as a whole the proportions seem more normal. You love seeing them on the table, they stand out.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 18, 2024

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Virtual Russian posted:

Those early catachans, the metal ones, are to mini sculpting what squash and stretch are to animation. If you look at them closely they are all abominations of bad proportions. Pull back and look at the group and they look way better than most modern minis. Their bulk and exaggerated proportions makes each mini stand out and feel like a character, but taken as a whole the proportions seem more normal. You love seeing them on the table, they stand out.

I sat in GW HQ back in, ooh, 2001ish? with a bunch of other staff at the time, and listened to I think Andy Chambers talk about exactly this. How GW miniatures aren't actually 28mm scale, they're intentionally overproportioned in a 'comic' scale, to the points that draw the eye - Faces, Hands, Weapons, unique Gear - Because, despite them being in realism terms 'bad', they make much better miniatures.

E: And you could point to the artists they had at the time as influences there - Look at how much 2000AD Venn overlap there was at the time, which ran on the same premise.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I saw this the other day and I was like, welp, I guess the ceiling on faces is pretty high

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

I mean that part seems fairly obvious, at least to me.

That's why Orc(k)s are one of THE table top armies with their giant protruding heads.

But you also have to keep in mind that today everyone posts full frontal beauty shots of miniatures on instagram and that's how most people experience them instead of playing them on the table.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Eej posted:

I saw this the other day and I was like, welp, I guess the ceiling on faces is pretty high

for whatever reason the 'eavy metal house style is pretty unflattering painting female faces. Lelith Hesperax is a big offender for this. The sculpts are great!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Looks about as good as that Catachan.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Jokes aside it's obvious they don't do the beauty makeup styling on the face like lipstick, blush, eyeshadow, eye brows, stuff like that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Lostconfused posted:

Jokes aside it's obvious they don't do the beauty makeup styling on the face like lipstick, blush, eyeshadow, eye brows, stuff like that.

Battle Nuns are definitely known for their makeup

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Which is silly, of course, because in all the official art they are wearing most of that

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

I mean I didn't even think this, I looked at it and saw, "Wow they did quite a bit of shading, highlighting, and wet blending. Wonder if they made a video?"

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

OTOH get this painter to do all the emperors children up like Boy George

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I only magnetize the sponsons on my tanks, I've gone and bought like 5 varieties of turrets from kromlech so I always have 2-3 of each type at any point. Magnetizing the little guys seems insane to me, just for value of my time etc

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Eej posted:

Which is silly, of course, because in all the official art they are wearing most of that

Smokey eyes and black/red lipstick are mandatory devotions to the emperor so I rate that mini 3/10

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Out of curiosity, we are probably not expecting any new tyrranid models or replacement of older models, are we? They got their whole release front loaded it seems, so it would be safe to buy like a Mawloc or some of the other odd ball stuffs?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Necrons did get a second wave but I don't think there's been any indication of a Tyranid second wave. That being said, Tyranids sculpts are pretty timeless so even if they do drop a new Mawloc the old one won't look out of place (and arguably that might benefit you to have two different looking ones).

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Out of curiosity, we are probably not expecting any new tyrranid models or replacement of older models, are we? They got their whole release front loaded it seems, so it would be safe to buy like a Mawloc or some of the other odd ball stuffs?

Well recent rumor has it they're getting a new Hierodule with boobs.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

IncredibleIgloo posted:

yeah go nuts, almost zero chance the trygon/mawloc kit gets replaced this decade.

really the only outright replacements I'd expect anytime soon is the carnifex since it's now the oldest tyranid plastic kit by a lot, and the new screamer killer and neurotyrant will get standalone kits eventually, but who knows when that'll happen. anything else we get will probably be new or "new" (e.g. shrikes), or a remake of one of the resin monsters

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The most likely new release would be Warriors and/or Shrikes for Kill Team.

We're also due for an update to Apocalypse next summer, as that has arrived consistently with new kits every six years. There's a slim chance that something large was kept back from the main Tyranid update for that, such as a titanic scale monster or new carnifex kit. I'm also hoping for new Tankbustas

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Tastefully arranging my bad dragon collection on the table while swearing it's tyranid terrain.

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

The Demilich posted:

Tastefully arranging my bad dragon collection on the table while swearing it's tyranid terrain.

Thread title

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sgt. :chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Warmachine posted:

So as mentioned above, during this period GW as not producing many miniatures, and all of them were basically one-off metal figures - there was very little in the way of variations and kits to make squads from. Rather than a box of marines, you would be buying a blister pack (plastic clamshell) that had 3-5 random figures:

The 'female marines' were part of an 'Adventurers' set of basically a bunch of weird people. It's interesting because you can see the genesis of some existing ideas, and others that died on the vine. For example, we lost Not Indiana Jones and Halfling Chef, but kept Tech Priest and Cyborg:

Early GW realized that people were selecting away from the female models; this meant that when they made their first kits, they made them all male in the style of the best-selling figures:

This basically defined the direction of the range for a long time, until they eventually reopened the idea and reimagined the female warriors as Sisters of Battle.

You can probably write a lot about why that particular set of circumstances happened; 1985-1988 was a very different time both culturally and in the hobby than today. GW was a much smaller company and basically threw any number of things at the wall and went with what stuck without a lot of intention or analysis.