Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Tangy Zizzle posted:

I only magnetize the sponsons on my tanks, I've gone and bought like 5 varieties of turrets from kromlech so I always have 2-3 of each type at any point. Magnetizing the little guys seems insane to me, just for value of my time etc

yeah, i've magnetized the turret options on the skorpius disintegrator and the onager dunecrawler in admech and that's it

it would be fairly easy to magnetize the hand weapons on the kastelans but i haven't bothered so far because the guns are laughably bad compared to just punching things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

xtothez posted:

The most likely new release would be Warriors and/or Shrikes for Kill Team.

We're also due for an update to Apocalypse next summer, as that has arrived consistently with new kits every six years. There's a slim chance that something large was kept back from the main Tyranid update for that, such as a titanic scale monster or new carnifex kit. I'm also hoping for new Tankbustas

I think if you take the remaining Ork resin and oldest Ork plastics, you can whip up a killer starter box for the middle of 10th or start of 11th. Burnaz in a Trukk, Tankbustas, Warbikers, and some sort of base infantry (a second go at new Boyz without a bunch forced to hold shootas?) all lead by a Weirdboy.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I built a unit of Eldar Wraithblades and magnetized every option so I could turn them in to whatever I wanted. I will not be doing that again.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Ashcans posted:

So as mentioned above, during this period GW as not producing many miniatures, and all of them were basically one-off metal figures - there was very little in the way of variations and kits to make squads from. Rather than a box of marines, you would be buying a blister pack (plastic clamshell) that had 3-5 random figures:

The first thing that caught my eye is that the top two, maybe three rows is all actors from the 60's Batman TV show. Also I'm seeing Christopher Reeves and Richard Basehart. Are those the original names?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Funzo posted:

I built a unit of Eldar Wraithblades and magnetized every option so I could turn them in to whatever I wanted. I will not be doing that again.

I did this to my 5 Custodes and I also won't be bothering with that ever again.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Triple-Kan posted:

The first thing that caught my eye is that the top two, maybe three rows is all actors from the 60's Batman TV show. Also I'm seeing Christopher Reeves and Richard Basehart. Are those the original names?

Original names and you are probably right. They have straight up said that they named figs off of all kinds of pop culture. Like there are Imperial Army dudes named after the members of Rush. I'm guessing Cap'n Crabb is supposed to be Buster Crabbe.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I'm magnetising a pair of LI scaled Kratos tanks, and I'm kind of regretting it. But then I also hosed up and glued on the turret plugs incorrectly the first time so now I have to do a bunch of stuff to undo it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I'm in the middle of magnetising an Enforcer commander without a pin vice for my drill bits and my fingers hate me but I've done it and also I'll never bother again either

E: like its a fun and cool project to do but when everything is at the whim of whatever unpaid GW intern is doing the new edition then you might as well do whatever guns you think are sickest

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ashcans posted:

So as mentioned above, during this period GW as not producing many miniatures, and all of them were basically one-off metal figures - there was very little in the way of variations and kits to make squads from. Rather than a box of marines, you would be buying a blister pack (plastic clamshell) that had 3-5 random figures:

The 'female marines' were part of an 'Adventurers' set of basically a bunch of weird people. It's interesting because you can see the genesis of some existing ideas, and others that died on the vine. For example, we lost Not Indiana Jones and Halfling Chef, but kept Tech Priest and Cyborg:

Early GW realized that people were selecting away from the female models; this meant that when they made their first kits, they made them all male in the style of the best-selling figures:

This basically defined the direction of the range for a long time, until they eventually reopened the idea and reimagined the female warriors as Sisters of Battle.

You can probably write a lot about why that particular set of circumstances happened; 1985-1988 was a very different time both culturally and in the hobby than today. GW was a much smaller company and basically threw any number of things at the wall and went with what stuck without a lot of intention or analysis.

This is really cool stuff. I'd never seen these models before.

Imagine if Lorgar had followed his dream of being a pilot instead of getting wrapped up in all that Chaos poo poo. :allears:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Warmachine posted:

This is really cool stuff. I'd never seen these models before.

Imagine if Lorgar had followed his dream of being a pilot instead of getting wrapped up in all that Chaos poo poo. :allears:

The galaxy's largest pilot accidentally commits space 9/11

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Improbable Lobster posted:

The galaxy's largest pilot accidentally commits space 9/11

That requires some competence, Lorgar would be space John McCain

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

700 pound neophyte Erebus: Lift me up higher daddy!

Lorgar: I can't my arms hurt from uh, fuckin' space Vietnam... prison.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Is there a thread for buying/selling WH stuff? I have a handful of boxes for 30k, Grey Knights, and Imp Knights I'm ready to let go of. I made a thread in SA Mart already:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4058957

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

3 Action Economist posted:

Battle Nuns are definitely known for their makeup

Eej posted:

Which is silly, of course, because in all the official art they are wearing most of that

But it turns out that it does kind of match the 9th edition cover.

Which is around the time all these new miniatures came out from the looks of it?

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Miniatures_(Sisters_of_Battle)

Well, the next codex is a few months/weeks away, will be interesting to see what cover they go with in this context.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

And so forth. But it doesn't really matter if they want tactical eyeshadow what's the big deal, they already draw Fleur de Lis on their faces and sisters of Our Martyred Lady ritually dye their hair white.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Took an extended hobby break due to the release of Tekken 8 but sat down and made myself paint up this Master of Executions to get back in the saddle. Not my best work but happy with it as a de-rusting

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
It's in no way strange that sororitas wear makeup. All imperial power-armor wearers go into battle over-decorated and over-stylized, there's nothing practical about any of it, so they absolutely would.

The real question is why space marines don't wear makeup and dye their hair. They're more elite, they should look the part!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Guildencrantz posted:

The real question is why space marines don't wear makeup and dye their hair. They're more elite, they should look the part!

I have bad news regarding the last marine chapter who went a little too fancy

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

The Emperor's Finest got a little finer is all.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

The Deleter posted:

I'm in the middle of magnetising an Enforcer commander without a pin vice for my drill bits and my fingers hate me but I've done it and also I'll never bother again either

E: like its a fun and cool project to do but when everything is at the whim of whatever unpaid GW intern is doing the new edition then you might as well do whatever guns you think are sickest

I've magnetized my entire* Imperial Knight army and it wasn't that bad, until I drilled into a piece of recycled plastic, then it was bad, the random change in density was just enough to throw me off, good times.

*One of the Armigers isn't, it was used and cheap.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Eej posted:

And so forth.
I think you're kind of missing my point. This is what games workshop decided they look like at the time and that's why the cover and studio painted models look the way they do. At least that's what I'm guessing just by looking at the things.

Guildencrantz posted:

They grow fancy beards and scars, just a different aesthetic.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 20, 2024

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Guildencrantz posted:

It's in no way strange that sororitas wear makeup. All imperial power-armor wearers go into battle over-decorated and over-stylized, there's nothing practical about any of it, so they absolutely would.

Have you considered playing Raven Guard?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

On the other hand Cadians clearly enforce grooming standards on everyone.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

I think there's a lot of rogue trader art with space marines looking more like punks with dyed hair. I know I paint some of my dudes with neon mohawks

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

I think you're kind of missing my point. This is what games workshop decided they look like at the time and that's why the cover and studio painted models look the way they do. At least that's what I'm guessing just by looking at the things.

All the art I posted is from around the same time they got their refresh for 8th edition. The first artwork even got a limited time model release in 9th. The studio painted models look like that because they don't bother to put makeup on them, that's all.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok fair, I didn't look through all of their official art. Maybe I just don't like the 9th edition cover :shrug:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Oh jeez, the rogal dork kit has so many fiddly little parts so it takes forever to finish, way longer than a leman russ. And to make it worse it looks better without them too.

Free equipment options were a mistake, headlamps and no sponsons make for a much cleaner design than all the free meltas strapped on top.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly naked tanks look wrong, they need some stowage. Maybe not US military amount, but at least a couple of backpacks and a tarp on the turret/hull.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

*pictured us military amount*

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Which is why I said some. :v:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What are the grates for?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's slat armor for protection against RPGs. RPGs are designed to focus the explosive blast of the grenade to a tiny point to maximize penetration power and the slats catch the projectile away from the armour so the focus point is away from the vehicle and the explosive blast spreads out relatively harmlessly against the actual vehicle itself.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's an RPG cage, it makes incoming rounds detonate away from the vehicle itself. I think the reason why they're grates is to prevent spalling to be created, but not 100% sure about that.

efb

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They're grates because it's lighter than just a slab of metal and the spacing can make incoming projectiles impact at suboptimal angles which further disrupts the shaped charge effect or even break the fuse. It's also not a completely RPG proof system but it's cheaper than the alternatives.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's a fence to keep the GI's in.

I've also seen similar rigging on vehicles used in Ukraine to spoil top-attack munitions and drones. Protection schemes for vehicles are kinda neat.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

They're grates because it's lighter than just a slab of metal

The russian turtle tanks beg to differ. :v:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think I finally managed to finish assembling the models for a 2000 point list for my first army.

Only took like 5 months.

Now all I need to do is paint them :suicide:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nazzadan posted:

700 pound neophyte Erebus: Lift me up higher daddy!

Lorgar: I can't my arms hurt from uh, fuckin' space Vietnam... prison.

lol

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/21/sunday-preview-the-tau-empire-needs-you/

Next week's pre-orders is all about Tau Kroot. With both of the army box models and the rest of them becoming available.

And then there's also a codex.
And a combat patrol.

But those aren't as important as the kroot releases.

Oh and then there's some Made to Orker Order Orks too.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh my god they brought back classic kommandos? Crazy