Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Am I stupid or are the ork changes the same as January except the FW models got removed?

I guess it's just relative to the codex when January was relative to index?

Yeah Custodes & Ork changes are relative to what's printed in the book. They didn't change all that much compared to January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I didn't like playing with artillery anyways. Bring on the punisher leman russ!

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Lostconfused posted:

Yep all the good stuff in guard went up in points. Not surprising given the win rate.

My guard list came down :smuggo:

My guard list is awful because I don’t want to play the lord solar’s artillery park :smith:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Am I stupid or are the ork changes the same as January except the FW models got removed?

I guess it's just relative to the codex when January was relative to index?

xtothez posted:

Yeah Custodes & Ork changes are relative to what's printed in the book. They didn't change all that much compared to January.
Yeah they mentioned it in the meta watch video lol, that the header says codex or index to point out where the points are being changed.

ro5s posted:

My guard list came down :smuggo:

My guard list is awful because I don’t want to play the lord solar’s artillery park :smith:

The biggest changes are in Kasrkin and Bullgryn though in my opinion, I don't think winning lists took an overwhelming number of artillery models. They didn't take any tanks besides commander on the other hand.

I'm not happy about it but I'm also glad that Scions are cheaper than Kasrkin, because they certainly didn't seem better than Kasrkin. I still won't use them though because I think they look lame.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 25, 2024

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

i can make a csm list that doesn’t feel like pulling teeth again!
Abaddon
2x cultist
1x legionary squad for Abby
1x rhino with traitor guard inside
2 predator annihilators
1 predator destructor
2 vindicators
forgefiend
helbrute
2x raptors
3x nurglings

a lot of firepower, a nasty melee counter threat in abaddon and his boys, plenty of action monkeys. feels much nicer than it once did.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Oh man, I bet other guard players are less thrilled, but a lot of what I've got and love just dropped in points. Rough Riders feel like a real deal now!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

My main complaint is that they mainly nerfed the tournament winning stuff and the rest of it mainly stayed where it was.

The army will stay at the bottom win rate for the average player, and I imagine they'll leave it like that until the codex comes out if I'm lucky.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Actually I'm wrong.

Scions are now the same or better than Kasrkin, they certainly have more options. Kasrkin plus command squad is now the same point cost, so they have same amount of special weapons, they get the same amount of orders, but they get some extra synergy on top with sustained hits, and the ability to reroll hits and maybe a feel no pain from the med-pack.

So you can deep strike, give an order, fish for sixes with rerolls, maybe you give an armor save order instead of ballistic skill so they stick around a bit longer with a 3+ and a 6+ feel no pain.

The trade offs are that you don't get a melta-mine, no sniper rifle, and the biggest one is that you won't bring back the command squad with the reinforcements stratagem.

Honestly this seems like an interesting alternative if the army wasn't as focused on the reinforcements and regiment keyword.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
My 1k (actually 995) CSM list went down 30 points, enough for me to drop my warlords 40 point enhancement that I always forgot about anyways and add in a squad of traitor guard that I was building for my 1500 point list. Woo!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Shaved 65 off my CSM list, nice

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

my specific admech list went down by 140 points, although i think admech players who don't run cybernetica aren't going to be terribly happy to be asked to wait until july

i'll probably do this for now:

quote:

Cybernetica Datasmith (Necromechanic)- 60 pts
Cybernetica Datasmith- 35 pts
Tech-Priest Enginseer- 45 pts
Tech-Priest Enginseer- 45 pts

Rangers- 80 pts
Rangers- 80 pts

Ironstrider Balistarius (Lascannon)- 50 pts
4 Kastelan Robots (Flamer, Fists)- 360 pts
4 Kastelan Robots (Flamer, Fists)- 360 pts
Onager Dunecrawler (Eradication Beamer)- 130 pts
Onager Dunecrawler (Eradication Beamer)- 130 pts
Skorpius Disintegrator (Belleros Cannon)- 170 pts
Skorpius Disintegrator (Belleros Cannon)- 170 pts
3 Sydonian Dragoons (Taser Lance)- 180 pts

=1995 pts

more vehicles, and rangers being the same cost as vanguard is nice

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 25, 2024

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

35pts off my GSC list, would have been 50 but the basilisk went up by 15.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I grabbed a family photo of all the raven guard I've painted so far, and it's the first time I've tried to photograph more than 5 minis at a time, and it was an absolute nightmare to get a picture that didn't look like dog water

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

sharkmafia posted:

my specific admech list went down by 140 points, although i think admech players who don't run cybernetica aren't going to be terribly happy to be asked to wait until july

i'll probably do this for now:

more vehicles, and rangers being the same cost as vanguard is nice

I have an Admech army so I of course like that the points change will make the army more competitive. But I also feel that Admech were already one of the worst armies in terms of cost per point, so now it is a little worse. But luckily I have more than enough models to make up the difference.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

I grabbed a family photo of all the raven guard I've painted so far, and it's the first time I've tried to photograph more than 5 minis at a time, and it was an absolute nightmare to get a picture that didn't look like dog water

Kicks rear end, love those bird skull helmets

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have an Admech army so I of course like that the points change will make the army more competitive. But I also feel that Admech were already one of the worst armies in terms of cost per point, so now it is a little worse. But luckily I have more than enough models to make up the difference.

yeah, although most of the stuff that was touched was some of the better points/dollar in the army, because it was overcosted. even post changes they're all still good pts/dollar (for admech), except for the rangers and ruststalkers

i think the reason why gw only touched this stuff is because they're aware that admech already are comically expensive to collect. the faction has reached the limit of what points-only balancing can provide, i'd say

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

sharkmafia posted:

yeah, although most of the stuff that was touched was some of the better points/dollar in the army, because it was overcosted. even post changes they're all still good pts/dollar (for admech), except for the rangers and ruststalkers

i think the reason why gw only touched this stuff is because they're aware that admech already are comically expensive to collect. the faction has reached the limit of what points-only balancing can provide, i'd say
There is a note in the article that the points changes for AdMech this time are just a stopgap and that they have mechanical changes coming in the next balance update to hopefully address the actual problems that points adjustments can't solve. If they can fix some of the rules they can potentially put points costs back up again and move them back to a healthier place in terms of price:points.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
so are admech good and viable now?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Good, viable, admech, pick one.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Al-Saqr posted:

so are admech good and viable now?

Even if you have endless money, they still aren't good or viable.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Warhammer Community basically said they can't balance Admech by making them any cheaper so they're gonna update their rules in the next balance dataslate in summer.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The fact that their codexes arent in the app so they can be updated live is so insane lol

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Al-Saqr posted:

The fact that their codexes arent in the app so they can be updated live is so insane lol

How else are we going to get people to spend money buying a book? By making art and stories of our beloved IP? Sounds like one of those indie wargames, not like us. No, the rules will exist in the printed codex except for when we need to change them due to unforeseen issues and points, which we will instead distribute somewhere else.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just make the app cost $20 a month the hams will pay. They always pay.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Torchlighter posted:

How else are we going to get people to spend money buying a book? By making art and stories of our beloved IP? Sounds like one of those indie wargames, not like us. No, the rules will exist in the printed codex except for when we need to change them due to unforeseen issues and points, which we will instead distribute somewhere else.

Literal sticker patches to put into the books!*

*obtainable for a small fee of 20 bucks at your local Warhammer store

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I mean they did publish erratas in White Dwarf under Chapter Approved back during 3rd where you had permission to photocopy the page, cut it out and then assumably then glue onto the page itself.
Or attach to somehow.

Just bringing back the old ways piece by piece.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

They are and they do. Any rules changes get added to the app alongside points updates.

The insane part is that you have to buy a physical book to get a one-use code that unlocks the live codex data in app. They can't just sell you the code in a digital-only transaction, it's extremely important to destroy as many trees as possible first.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The trees are already dead because they have pre-negotiated contracts to print out books and cardboard from their printers in China. Even if people are willing to buy digital codex codes they still have millions of dollars in sunk cost in paper that has yet to be printed. It's actually the least insane part of the whole deal.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I feel like I say this all the time but we have this discussion all the time so whatever: in 6th edition there were gorgeous digital codexes with full lore 3d models you could rotate, the special rules had hyperlinks, it was easy to navigate and had full lore. I get that not everybody has an iPad and that’s probably why they stopped doing it but goddamn it’s crazy how much worse the current situation is.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

In for a penny in for a pound, what else are we gonna do, just not kill trees? Ridiculous.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Most of the trees were grown for this purpose at this point, in my understanding. However, the same broad criticism applies to printing and shipping the physical book in this format. I wonder why they regressed from where they were in 6th edition - must not have impacted sales positively.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I feel like I say this all the time but we have this discussion all the time so whatever: in 6th edition there were gorgeous digital codexes with full lore 3d models you could rotate, the special rules had hyperlinks, it was easy to navigate and had full lore. I get that not everybody has an iPad and that’s probably why they stopped doing it but goddamn it’s crazy how much worse the current situation is.

I think another reason was someone was afraid that pirating those versions was going to lead to massive losses in sales because then no one was going to buy the books!

Probably the same reason they stopped doing the digital painting guides too.

Which might be unrelated, or related, to the reason why the stopped doing painting guide books.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I actually think they just don't know how computers work. The webstore is absolutely dogshit now.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
playing a couple of games (against death guard and custodes) with this list tomorrow:

Eversor 75
Command Squad 60
Infantry Squad 60
Creed 55
2 x Chimera 140
2 x 10 cadians 120
20 x Krieg 130
Russ Exterrminator 170
Hellhound 115
Rogal Dorn 260
Heavy Weap Squad 60
Tank Commander 205
Russ Battle Tank 170
Primaris Psyker 60
Scion Command 90 w drill commander
Scions 50
Commissar 30
Russ Punisher 150

I think with the ability to put -2 AP and no cover on one enemy unit each turn, I can comfortably delete things as I move up onto objectives with my chimeras and Krieg blob.
The Dorn and Tank Commander come out of reserves turn 2 to put the stamp on an enemy push, wherever it happens. Scions can deep strike and put some hurt on with 2 orders and sustained hits/drill commander for an eye watering amount of shooting. Heavy weapon squad for a little bit of backfield anti-tank, and an Eversor to mess with scoring units and be an action monkey.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JBP posted:

I actually think they just don't know how computers work. The webstore is absolutely dogshit now.

That's more general failure of web design than computers though, and that one definitely feels like a case of poo poo flowing downwards.

I'm mostly glad someone got convinced about how much people hated the intro movie that kept playing and just replaced it with upcoming releases instead.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cooked Auto posted:

That's more general failure of web design than computers though, and that one definitely feels like a case of poo poo flowing downwards.

I'm mostly glad someone got convinced about how much people hated the intro movie that kept playing and just replaced it with upcoming releases instead.

Every time I go to the site it asks me to pick a country and if I click a country it goes to the home page instead of the item I clicked a link to.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yeah, I've had that on the few times I bother checking it.

Probably a cookie issue they haven't fixed, because I remember a news site I use had a similar issue a while back before it went away.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The new website is dogshit garbage, to a frankly shocking degree. It’s worse than the old one in basically every way.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
My stance is still that everyone can make clever posts about what they should be doing with codexes but everything is fixed in stone until at least 11th edition. If they're still sticking with paper by then (which they would probably be deciding around now) then sure, big idiots over there at Nottingham.

If you read their quarterly reports they're even saying they're manufacturing more kits than ever and don't actually need any immediate production capacity. Considering that many kits have been out of stock for the last year reading between the lines it sounds like the global supply chain is still loving them up and paper + cardboard from China is stopping them from keeping stuff on the shelves. We'll see if that's true if they decide to really go digital in 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The new website is dogshit garbage, to a frankly shocking degree. It’s worse than the old one in basically every way.

I referred my non-warham egghead friend that does UX stuff to it for a look and he had a complete meltdown.