Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shockeh posted:

Sorry but Angron is the dumbest oval office that ever lived in the 40k universe.

Gets enslaved.
Gets abused.
Perpetuates abuse.
Re-enslaves himself willingly.

it's the third one that's his real crime. I think at the time he saw the War Hounds as just being extensions of the Emperor rather than his own sons so he was like "gently caress it, you want to be like me? FINE. BE LIKE ME".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also he had the Nails in him the entire time so I really doubt that he was ever truly sane.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Maybe Angron should take a chill pill

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
angry ron is the kind of character you get when you try to write a tragic story about how the abused become abusers but also you have to make the character a badass demon who fights with chainsaws

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

angry ron is the kind of character you get when you try to write a tragic story about how the abused become abusers but also you have to make the character a badass demon who fights with chainsaws

the point where he turns into a greater demon is the point where he stops being a character at all, and that's true of a lot of the traitor primarchs tbh. which in-universe is sort of the point. it's why all their second-in-commands are more interesting and dynamic characters (except post-resurrection Kharn)

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Shockeh posted:

Sorry but Angron is the dumbest oval office that ever lived in the 40k universe.

Gets enslaved.
Gets abused.
Perpetuates abuse.

Khorne never asks Angron to do anything he doesn't do willingly, he's the best boss Angron's ever had.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it's the third one that's his real crime. I think at the time he saw the War Hounds as just being extensions of the Emperor rather than his own sons so he was like "gently caress it, you want to be like me? FINE. BE LIKE ME".

He's the classic trope of being just self-aware enough to see the Imperium as the bullshit it is, but also just not aware enough to recognise the 'I'm above this/it's all been forced on me' monologue is a delusion whilst actually just perpetuating it.

I mean, of the Daemon Primarchs aligned to The Four the most deluded one is Fulgrim, because he doesn't ever get the iota of self-recognition (because he's a narcissist); At least the rest to some lesser or greater extent realise their gently caress-up, whether they feel any sorrow or remorse regardless. The rest at least have moments where they can recognise the path that led them here, Fulgrim is really still a child.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

the point where he turns into a greater demon is the point where he stops being a character at all

he isn't ever anything but a hacky bag of cliches before that

which is ironic, because

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Shockeh posted:

Gets enslaved.
Gets abused.
Perpetuates abuse.

Not seeing how he's dumber than anyone else.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Big E left the nails in so he wouldn't lead an actually successful uprising.

He saw what Angron did to the "High Riders" and was like "gently caress, I could be next"

or because removing them would literally kill angron, that too

all of angron’s posturing about the emperor’s tyranny is just ego soothing. he was perfectly happy to follow Horus, who was every bit the tyrant the emperor was and then some. he was perfectly happy to slaughter millions in either one’s name. he was nothing more than a psychotic murderer with just enough self-awareness to pretend he had principles, but not enough of a soul to actually have any.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

or because removing them would literally kill angron, that too

I mean that's the actual stated reason, I'm just shitposting. Though I wouldn't put it past big E to lie about it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

all of angron’s posturing about the emperor’s tyranny is just ego soothing. he was perfectly happy to follow Horus, who was every bit the tyrant the emperor was and then some. he was perfectly happy to slaughter millions in either one’s name. he was nothing more than a psychotic murderer with just enough self-awareness to pretend he had principles, but not enough of a soul to actually have any.

Angron basically became a nihilist when he was "rescued" and all his friends died. He hates the Emperor for personal reasons, the fact that he's right about Imperial tyranny is incidental.

To Angron, nothing matters because he should have died on Nuceria with the Eaters Of Cities. That and the Nails means that he doesn't give a poo poo about anything apart from burning down his Father's empire and/or dying in the process.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Geisladisk posted:

and this is important, the psychic bears which are canonically members of the tau hegemony.

Nicassar are literal bugbears and psychic snorlaxes, I wanna see a model

https://twitter.com/lord_carmi/status/1705721940571312289?s=46

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the sublime tragedy of ferrus manus, the man with iron hands, leader of the iron hands

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Emperor's treatment of Angron makes a lot more sense when you realize that the Emperor's central ideological tenet is that "mankind must be ruled" and Angron being the leader of and identifying WITH a slave uprising is something that the Emperor finds abhorrent because he literally believes that slaves should know their place. That's why he abducted Angron, abused him and openly assisted the Nucerian aristocracy.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Shockeh posted:

Gets enslaved.
Gets abused.
Perpetuates abuse.

https://i.imgur.com/2HY8NqO.mp4

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

First time I've been scared of a clown

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
After a life of being a gladiator turned failed rebel, Angron was basically suicidal and wanted to die with his men (aka the plot of Kubrick's Spartacus). The Emperor decided saving him was better than losing a primarch. But Angron only cared about his comrades and didn't have any higher ideals, plus was being slowly driven insane by the nails, so he never really fulfilled his function. In the end, Angron mostly serves as a good example of why the primarch project was doomed to failure even if they had been ethically raised as planned - giving ultimate power to a handful of irreplaceable beings creates weak points and forces moral compromises to protect them. Angron was an amoral addict who had no business being near power, but was still given a job at the family company because the Emperor didn't want a failed son. Better that he had died fighting against Nuceria, or been hospitalized and his nails removed, than to have been put into command of a force that he simply abused and misused.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it really teaches us the danger - and hubris! - of leaving a machine that makes you an axe murderer attached to the brain of your supersoldier commander of an army of moderately-less-supersoldiers with chainsaw axes

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

The Emperor's treatment of Angron makes a lot more sense when you realize that the Emperor's central ideological tenet is that "mankind must be ruled" and Angron being the leader of and identifying WITH a slave uprising is something that the Emperor finds abhorrent because he literally believes that slaves should know their place. That's why he abducted Angron, abused him and openly assisted the Nucerian aristocracy.

Yeah, Angron was absolutely right about The Emperor, and right about every Primarch he gave a verbal dressing down to for being Big E's little bitches. He was also completely unstable, mostly hated the World Eaters, and abused them the same way he'd been abused.

A non-nails Angron would be very similar to Jaghatai Khan, but may still have sided with Horus in the Heresy, or just gone fully rogue.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cease to Hope posted:

the sublime tragedy of ferrus manus, the man with iron hands, leader of the iron hands

Yeah he owns

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Real big miss on GW's part not naming the Iron Hands 1st Captain Torgo....

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DandyLion posted:

Real big miss on GW's part not naming the Iron Hands 1st Captain Torgo....

I named my IH land raider The Hands Of Fate and I plan on adding some big red handprints like The Master's cloak one day

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 1, 2024

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kaal posted:

After a life of being a gladiator turned failed rebel, Angron was basically suicidal and wanted to die with his men (aka the plot of Kubrick's Spartacus). The Emperor decided saving him was better than losing a primarch. But Angron only cared about his comrades and didn't have any higher ideals, plus was being slowly driven insane by the nails, so he never really fulfilled his function. In the end, Angron mostly serves as a good example of why the primarch project was doomed to failure even if they had been ethically raised as planned - giving ultimate power to a handful of irreplaceable beings creates weak points and forces moral compromises to protect them. Angron was an amoral addict who had no business being near power, but was still given a job at the family company because the Emperor didn't want a failed son. Better that he had died fighting against Nuceria, or been hospitalized and his nails removed, than to have been put into command of a force that he simply abused and misused.

The Emperor did try to remove them but it wasn’t possible - the Nails weren’t just attached to Angron’s brain, they actually replaced part of it, and those parts were cut out and gone forever. If they removed the Nails, Angron would never wake up from the surgery.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The best thing about Iron Hands is how easily they take to grimy steel and hazard stripes.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Manus, the hands of fate

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
you know the horus heresy novels are set in the past because a key plot point is that the emperor forgot to set his psychic dial-up modem to dial *70 to disable call waiting

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Are primaris marines any different on the tabletop anymore?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i mean, primaris units are different from tactical squads. they just retired any other firstborn infantry unit that was redundant with a primaris unit.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
one's too short to ride in impulsors, one's too big to ride in rhinos.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

But my box of rhinos :(

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

BadLlama posted:

But my box of rhinos :(

add spikes and they work on all of your units again

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The last plague war book really lays out clearly how guilliman 100% is aware that the emperor is a fundamentally huge piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat petty dictator but hes also slowly becoming an actual god and humanity have no other options other than that rear end in a top hat considering what theyre facing up against.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Excuses, excuses, nobody said you can't kill a god.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

The last plague war book really lays out clearly how guilliman 100% is aware that the emperor is a fundamentally huge piece of poo poo rear end in a top hat petty dictator but hes also slowly becoming an actual god and humanity have no other options other than that rear end in a top hat considering what theyre facing up against.

also they have no options because this is a prequel and the ending was written in 1987

Lostconfused posted:

Excuses, excuses, nobody said you can't kill a god.

that has to wait for indomitus crusade and "somehow, guilliman returned".

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hey guys i just found out that theres gonna be a 40k tournament a few hours drive from where i live, im gonna try it out.

Sadly up until now ive only dealth with people who ive had to teach the game to, if i were to go i think ill play with my tyranid hive-fleet Al-Saqr to wow them with a fully painted army.

Any tips for tournament play with tyranids? I have a sneaking suspicion im gonna get blown away since i have very little built experience with people who play often.

Basically its a 1000 point tournament, my army is whats in the Leviathan Box + warriors + genestealers and broodfather.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 30, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The Emperor did try to remove them but it wasn’t possible - the Nails weren’t just attached to Angron’s brain, they actually replaced part of it, and those parts were cut out and gone forever. If they removed the Nails, Angron would never wake up from the surgery.

Yeah it would have simply been humane euthanasia, but that would have been the better alternative than letting a broken cyborg run around murdering people.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
it's just like metal gear solid 5

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Decorus posted:

Those battlemech humans look seriously cool! Please do show us some more detailed pictures.

Sure thing: here's my Ghostkeel stand-in, WIP and then finished model shots (though I changed the colour scheme and the modelling of the winglets).

Also: Farsight in non-Xenos form:

Yvonmukluk posted:

This is so great. I actually have had vague dreams of doing something similar but other than buying some Van Saar kits it’s gone nowhere, partially because I wound buying a bunch of Tau so it would be somewhat redundant. Maybe I’ll use them as Gue’Vesa down the line. It’s so cool to see someone commit to the idea.

I suppose between the Van Saar and now Solar Auxilia there’s a lot more options for converting Gue’Vesa.

It's been a double-edged sword - between the various new additions for the Necromunda, Kill Team and 40k ranges there are a lot more kits that I can use for bits then there were when I started this a few years ago. But, some of the original kits I have used have been replaced and gone OOP which makes things trickier if I wanted to add more units in future or (as has happened a few times) a new codex changes a unit's size and I have to go looking for old parts to add an extra squad member or two.

quote:

I can’t see any Kroot proxies there, unless I missed them - if you ever go down that route (assuming you don’t just want to use actual Kroot as mercenaries) maybe converting some Fellgor Ravagers? After all if there are humans there’s probably also abhumans.

I went with tech-savage humans for my Kroot equivalents - the Fellgor didn't exist when I started building them otherwise they'd have been a good choice. Here's some:

And I made some of these Good Boys for the hounds:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Where did you get the heihatchi mini head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys i just found out that theres gonna be a 40k tournament a few hours drive from where i live, im gonna try it out.

Sadly up until now ive only dealth with people who ive had to teach the game to, if i were to go i think ill play with my tyranid hive-fleet Al-Saqr to wow them with a fully painted army.

Any tips for tournament play with tyranids? I have a sneaking suspicion im gonna get blown away since i have very little built experience with people who play often.

Basically its a 1000 point tournament, my army is whats in the Leviathan Box + warriors + genestealers and broodfather.

Nothing too specific, but as general thoughts

• Try to deploy the genestealers so that they can scout move somewhere protected turn one, even if you go first. They'll probably draw lots of fire and while tempting, generally don't want to try a turn 1 kamikaze charge most of the time
  • The termagaunts want to be in a big unit, in invasion fleet the 5+ feel no pain and being able to regenerate models if any die they can be a pain to chew through, and can screen you against close combat threats.
  • 11 neurogaunts can't bodyguard the neurotyrant and won't accomplish anything useful combat wise, but are dirt cheap to dump on your home objective and screen deep strikes.
  • have the screamer killer shoot at any priority targets first thing in the shooting phase. If it battleshocks them then they're not able to use any defensive stratagems against other shooting or in a later close combat
  • The psychophage isn't very dangerous, but it's fast-ish and tougher than it should be. Huddle around it early for the 6+ FNP then send it off to move block something with it's fat base or just charge in to spoil someone's shooting phase. If you see an enemy psyker it jumps to murderous, though.
  • At 1000 points a neurotyrant's going to be a decent overwatch bully floating towards the middle and shooting into any decent targets.
  • Depending on how you've built your warriors - melee ones hit pretty hard with twin linking, I don't think they ever want to pick reroll 1s on saves. Shooty warriors don't do huge damage at range but can still fight decently well and then sit to hold an objective you're cleared. I'd say the prime will do better on it's own, it can rapid ingress somewhere out of line of sight then move up in your turn to hit a vulnerable target.
  • Rippers are incredible for scoring secondaries - individual bases in deep strike can snag behind enemy lines, deploy teleport homers, investigate signals and engage on all fronts really well.

That might all be stuff you've figured out anyway :v: