Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

Where did you get the heihatchi mini head

Probably the old Flagellant kit is my best guess.

Edit:
Me and my drat page snipes today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys i just found out that theres gonna be a 40k tournament a few hours drive from where i live, im gonna try it out.

Sadly up until now ive only dealth with people who ive had to teach the game to, if i were to go i think ill play with my tyranid hive-fleet Al-Saqr to wow them with a fully painted army.

Any tips for tournament play with tyranids? I have a sneaking suspicion im gonna get blown away since i have very little built experience with people who play often.

Basically its a 1000 point tournament, my army is whats in the Leviathan Box + warriors + genestealers and broodfather.

Drink water, sit as much as you can, just cause it's a tournament doesn't mean you have to be an angle shooting rear end in a top hat (it's fair to let people have takebacks, make sure they know about what kind of tricks you can potentially pull if it seems like they're not aware like if you shoot my gaunts they can, not will, run at you). With Nids of every flavour you're going to want to aggressively grab points and block your opponent from getting onto points by placing bodies in cover but still blocking their moves. If you had Gargoyles this would be a lot easier!! Genestealers and Warriors with their leaders can do a lot of damage but they're pretty fragile and Tyranid datasheets kinda suck in general so don't try to mash your strongest units into their strongest units. Shadow in the Warp is pretty unreliable but can swing a game by denying them holding points or blocking them from using defensive strats.

Just off the top of my head.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

Any tips for tournament play with tyranids? I have a sneaking suspicion im gonna get blown away since i have very little built experience with people who play often.

Git gud with how long you take for a turn. If you can get most of the poo poo you wanna do in ~15 minutes you are on the right track. 1000 points shouldn't be too bad, but time gets eaten up fast if you are trying to snake units around a lot of fiddly terrain or have a bunch of rules/strategems/whatever that you need to look up.

A crib sheet with the rules/strategems/whatever isn't a bad idea and having page tabs to the specific pages would be good.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ro5s posted:

Nothing too specific, but as general thoughts

• Try to deploy the genestealers so that they can scout move somewhere protected turn one, even if you go first. They'll probably draw lots of fire and while tempting, generally don't want to try a turn 1 kamikaze charge most of the time
  • The termagaunts want to be in a big unit, in invasion fleet the 5+ feel no pain and being able to regenerate models if any die they can be a pain to chew through, and can screen you against close combat threats.
  • 11 neurogaunts can't bodyguard the neurotyrant and won't accomplish anything useful combat wise, but are dirt cheap to dump on your home objective and screen deep strikes.
  • have the screamer killer shoot at any priority targets first thing in the shooting phase. If it battleshocks them then they're not able to use any defensive stratagems against other shooting or in a later close combat
  • The psychophage isn't very dangerous, but it's fast-ish and tougher than it should be. Huddle around it early for the 6+ FNP then send it off to move block something with it's fat base or just charge in to spoil someone's shooting phase. If you see an enemy psyker it jumps to murderous, though.
  • At 1000 points a neurotyrant's going to be a decent overwatch bully floating towards the middle and shooting into any decent targets.
  • Depending on how you've built your warriors - melee ones hit pretty hard with twin linking, I don't think they ever want to pick reroll 1s on saves. Shooty warriors don't do huge damage at range but can still fight decently well and then sit to hold an objective you're cleared. I'd say the prime will do better on it's own, it can rapid ingress somewhere out of line of sight then move up in your turn to hit a vulnerable target.
  • Rippers are incredible for scoring secondaries - individual bases in deep strike can snag behind enemy lines, deploy teleport homers, investigate signals and engage on all fronts really well.

That might all be stuff you've figured out anyway :v:

I actually didnt know any of these thanks so much! This advice rules! Will make a printout and have on me to remember this.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Have fun!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh yeah if it's not too late try to get a Biovore so you can shoot spore mines around that perform secondaries for you, it's really dumb and one of the strongest tricks Nids have.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Might be worth it to confirm with the venue if they are using certain rules / how terrain rules will be? I dunno

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Shot in the dark, but does anyone have any size comparison pics with the Leviathan/post Leviathan Terminators & any of the 30k Imperial Fist Terminator Praetors?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys i just found out that theres gonna be a 40k tournament a few hours drive from where i live, im gonna try it out.

Sadly up until now ive only dealth with people who ive had to teach the game to, if i were to go i think ill play with my tyranid hive-fleet Al-Saqr to wow them with a fully painted army.

Basically its a 1000 point tournament, my army is whats in the Leviathan Box + warriors + genestealers and broodfather.

Do your best to have your rules for your units mostly memorized. It'll make the experience more fun for everyone and less stressful for you.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

"We unconditionally surrender, may you rule in peace less savagely than you wage war"

And then Angron shows up and murders everyone

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lostconfused posted:

"We unconditionally surrender, may you rule in peace less savagely than you wage war"

And then Angron shows up and murders everyone

False Gods makes the Space Marines in Horus Rising seem like enlightened philosopher-warriors by comparison, doesn't it?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Horus Rising tried to give them some redeeming qualities, False Gods made them irredeemable.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lostconfused posted:

Horus Rising tried to give them some redeeming qualities, False Gods made them irredeemable.

A game I liked to play when reading False Gods was, okay, this scene where these people are arguing. How much smarter would the argument have sounded if it had been broadly the same argument, with the same participants occupying the same positions, and coming to the same conclusion, but in Horus Rising instead of False Gods? The best scene for this is the one where Erebus manipulates Horus into attacking Davin. You can reverse-engineer a smarter, more charismatic Erebus by just imagining he's undergone the reverse of the character decay everyone else went through from the first book to the second.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The issue there is you still have to ask yourself 'Why do these group of seasoned Ubermensch, one of whom is a literal Demigod whose key traits are being extremely perceptive, astute and charismatic, start listening to this guy at all?'

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Stephenls posted:

A game I liked to play when reading False Gods was, okay, this scene where these people are arguing. How much smarter would the argument have sounded if it had been broadly the same argument, with the same participants occupying the same positions, and coming to the same conclusion, but in Horus Rising instead of False Gods? The best scene for this is the one where Erebus manipulates Horus into attacking Davin. You can reverse-engineer a smarter, more charismatic Erebus by just imagining he's undergone the reverse of the character decay everyone else went through from the first book to the second.

The gulf between the okay BL authors and the good BL authors is extremely wide.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Shockeh posted:

The issue there is you still have to ask yourself 'Why do these group of seasoned Ubermensch, one of whom is a literal Demigod whose key traits are being extremely perceptive, astute and charismatic, start listening to this guy at all?'

Because the person making the arguments is also a seasoned Ubermensch who managed to rise through the ranks of the inner circle of his particular legion, mostly by political manipulation, and everyone involved is a fascist and therefore has built in manipulation levers. Erebus may be a character that suffers from 'dumb writer writes smart persuasive bastard', but he is, by this point in the story, on the same level as the Mournival or Sigismund, he does have to be listened to as a representative of his Legion.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The ubermensch are all roided our rageaholics with super thin egos so all it takes is a "hey warmaster, heard these guys talking poo poo about you" before they run off to murder half a planet.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Looking at what units Sisters have, and I'm surprised to find what I expected from an imperium army. They have the same tanks and artillery as the guard do, well ok it's a leman russ cannon slapped on a rhino. But the artillery has the exact same stats for both because it's some rocket launchers slapped on a troop transport.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the immolator is basically a razorback too

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Sure thing: here's my Ghostkeel stand-in, WIP and then finished model shots (though I changed the colour scheme and the modelling of the winglets).

Also: Farsight in non-Xenos form:

It's been a double-edged sword - between the various new additions for the Necromunda, Kill Team and 40k ranges there are a lot more kits that I can use for bits then there were when I started this a few years ago. But, some of the original kits I have used have been replaced and gone OOP which makes things trickier if I wanted to add more units in future or (as has happened a few times) a new codex changes a unit's size and I have to go looking for old parts to add an extra squad member or two.

I went with tech-savage humans for my Kroot equivalents - the Fellgor didn't exist when I started building them otherwise they'd have been a good choice. Here's some:

And I made some of these Good Boys for the hounds:

These conversions are fantastic! I love the aesthetic! You've done great work on maintaining the brutal lines of 40k human tech while still giving them a distinct feel. I don't know enough about Tau stuff to really recognize the bits you've used, but very well done.

The small details like your Farsights ankle pistons just do so much to sell the whole conversion. Just great work all around. :)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

S.J. posted:

The gulf between the okay BL authors and the good BL authors is extremely wide.

Seriously

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Okay I don't remember False Gods being THAT mediocre but in my defense I read it last around when it came out. But I still stand by Graham is a good author and Fulgrim is one of the best HH books :colbert:. Galaxy in Flames is a lot worse though I do remember that.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I used to know the guy who approved Graham as an Alien of Extraordinary Ability so he at least agreed with you.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Lostconfused posted:

The ubermensch are all roided our rageaholics with super thin egos so all it takes is a "hey warmaster, heard these guys talking poo poo about you" before they run off to murder half a planet.

I kind of don't agree, and there's a specific issue that highlights why.

In Book 1, Horus complains about dealing with tax collectors, and his complaint is as follows: "The new High Lords of Terra are sending out tax collectors on the Emperor's authority to extract tribute from conquered planets. This is terrible, because these planets haven't been under our rulership for long enough, and they haven't seen the benefits of the Imperium. From their perspective, this will be unjust, and they'll react by rebelling. This is going to force us to go back and deal with rebellions, wasting our time, undoing our work, and beginning a legacy of fratricide that'll hurt the Imperium in the long run. Dad is as smart as or smarter than me, so he'd be just as capable of seeing this outcome as I am, which means he wouldn't authorize this, so the High Lords must be claiming his authority while he's not paying attention. Why is dad not paying attention? Why is he letting his new civilian government take his name in vain and ruin what we built?"

This is a remarkably subtle insight from Horus, because, among other things, it acknowledges that rebels against the Imperium might have sympathetic motives and be justified, at least from their own frame of reference. It's also clearly an attempt to set up justification for his own rebellion later.

In Book 2, Horus also complains about dealing with tax collectors, and his complaint is as follows: "I'm so great, why should I have to deal with anything as trivial as tax collectors?"

(Personally I suspect that Horus is right Emps didn't care enough to know about the tax collection thing, but is wrong about everything else -- he would have approved of it if it had been brought to his attention, because he doesn't care and is fine with sending the Primarchs to put down some rebellions if it means getting the Imperium's economy running. Ironically Emps' position probably is "I'm too important to deal with the trivialities of tax policy.")

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 2, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Edit: Horus not agreeing with the civilian government is the main part there. He's a warrior god, why do those pathetic humans have a right to tell him what to do is a relatively consistent theme in the book. And now back to my rant about this series in general so far.

The problem with Horus being insightful brings a lot of important questions that the books haven't answered so far.

Did he know that Erebus corrupted the Luna Wolves long before any of this started? If he didn't know then why didn't he know? If he knew then why didn't he care?

Like the Interex incident is such a mess because of it. Interex see that the imperium is tainted by chaos which is why they don't want to join the imperium. Horus knows that's the reason but then his immediate conclusion "actually they're the ones that are tainted and wrong". You're supposed to read that part as Horus coping and deflecting blame from himself, but it also puts into question as to how much he knows and what the heck he is doing at all?

The 2nd book makes everything even more convoluted with Horus' Excellent Adventure setting off the events that scatter all the primarchs through the warp, and maybe all the primarchs are powered by chaos war energy, and maybe the emperor already knows about Horus' betrayal before the crusade even starts, and maybe this is all just a lie made up by Chaos gods. Or more realistically this is just some poo poo written over a decade ago and it's so vague that it got re written and retconded multiple times over.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 2, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Lostconfused posted:

Horus did nothing wrong

Not that this isn't the right thread for it, but there's a book barn thread on warhammer that spends quite a bit of time discussing the lore as well

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lostconfused posted:

Did he know that Erebus corrupted the Luna Wolves long before any of this started? If he didn't know then why didn't he know? If he knew then why didn't he care?

this does eventually get addressed somewhat IIRC, there's some retcons about the early heresy stuff that answer some of these questions

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I had a root canal on Friday last week and totally forgot about the made to order Orks until today, just went ahead and bought both the Nobz and the Kommandos. Hopefully the whole 180 days thing is the more distant end of the production and shipping timeline

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Frog Act posted:

I had a root canal on Friday last week and totally forgot about the made to order Orks until today, just went ahead and bought both the Nobz and the Kommandos. Hopefully the whole 180 days thing is the more distant end of the production and shipping timeline

I bought a MTO Grey Knights character last year and I think it was slightly more than six months before I actually had him in hand.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Not that this isn't the right thread for it, but there's a book barn thread on warhammer that spends quite a bit of time discussing the lore as well

Improbable Lobster posted:

this does eventually get addressed somewhat IIRC, there's some retcons about the early heresy stuff that answer some of these questions
Thanks, I'll check it out the thread as I keep going through the rest of the series well until my motivation is gone. I'll keep try to keep it to lighthearted poo poo posting here.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Bohemian Nights posted:

I didn't know this thread existed, neat

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

rantmo posted:

I bought a MTO Grey Knights character last year and I think it was slightly more than six months before I actually had him in hand.

I MTO’d some beasts of nurgle and it was only three!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I was considering getting some of the MTO Orks but the Nobz were $100AUD so I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. I don't normally buy stuff directly from GW and I forgot how absurdly expensive stuff is direct from the Australian webstore.

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

I bought those nobz for 45 canadian loonies a box back in '00 so I was very surprised to see they were only priced at 70 here. It's surprisingly lacking in bits for an ork kit too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Meatlong Football posted:

I bought those nobz for 45 canadian loonies a box back in '00 so I was very surprised to see they were only priced at 70 here. It's surprisingly lacking in bits for an ork kit too.

Dang you got scammed...

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
It took a while, but I finally got my Chimera hunter-killer box launchers to the point where I like them.

They're not perfect. I had some trouble with proper spacing, since the turret is so narrow and some of mine have hvy stubber ammo boxes that interfere with the launcher. The launcher looked a bit stupid on the end of a long girder, so I added the optics module to reduce the gap between turret and missile tube.

Turned out pretty well, though I immediately broke off one open optics hatch after priming the launcher assemblies.

Next up is deciding on a camo/not-camo colour scheme.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Decorus posted:

It took a while, but I finally got my Chimera hunter-killer box launchers to the point where I like them.

They're not perfect. I had some trouble with proper spacing, since the turret is so narrow and some of mine have hvy stubber ammo boxes that interfere with the launcher. The launcher looked a bit stupid on the end of a long girder, so I added the optics module to reduce the gap between turret and missile tube.

Turned out pretty well, though I immediately broke off one open optics hatch after priming the launcher assemblies.

Next up is deciding on a camo/not-camo colour scheme.

Looks cool. Razzle dazzle it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

rantmo posted:

Lol man that’s really bad

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

I MTO’d some beasts of nurgle and it was only three!

That’s not so bad but still pretty silly. Spending $127 American smackers on a total of 15 models seems like a kind of silly decision in that context but hopefully my painting skills will have improved enough by then I can make ‘em look real good

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Frog Act posted:

Lol man that’s really bad

That’s not so bad but still pretty silly. Spending $127 American smackers on a total of 15 models seems like a kind of silly decision in that context but hopefully my painting skills will have improved enough by then I can make ‘em look real good

the part of you that mentally calculates how many models you’re getting per dollar will fade to the background soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
don't let it die! never pay full price for a miniature!!