Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sephyr posted:

"At a moment's notice" may be pushing it. Those chapters all have protectorates and wars/defenses they are currently pursuing, and many cannot drop everything and book for Ultramar unless they are happy to let whole sectors get eaten by Tyranids, swamped with rowdy orks or socialized by the T'au.

Add in the vagaries of warp travel and it may be weeks, months or even years before significant reinforcemernts arrive. Unless the plot needs them to get there immediately, of course!

I'm just basing that assumption on how many successors Dante was able to muster when it came to the defense of Baal prior to the arrival of Hive Fleet Leviathan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Eej posted:

I like to imagine the chapter organisation stuff is handwaved away now because it is very very dumb for 1,000 Ultramarines and auxiliaries to resist an entire Black Legion invasion of their homeworld.

I've always imagined that the actual "active" number of space marines in a chapter is always way higher than 1000. With the primaris chapters and such I feel pretty comfortable with continuing to ignore that number.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AndyElusive posted:

Like, in the lore? There are so many Ultramarine successor chapters that can come help the Ultramarines at a moment's notice it's ridiculous. Then there's their support fleets and auxiliaries...

Even like 10 chapters is 10,000 dudes to defend an entire planet from invasion. Cmon!!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

And the Ultramarines defended Macragge against Leviathan by themselves with the help of a Battle Fleet, a Titan Legion and the Ultramar Auxilia.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah it was dumb back then too! Hurray for Primaris handwaveyness

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Eej posted:

Even like 10 chapters is 10,000 dudes to defend an entire planet from invasion. Cmon!!

The badab war was funny for this, engagements across an entire sector fought by like 12,000 guys on both sides combined

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Scale has always been an issue with numerous sci fi properties, and 40k seems to be no exception.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

GW has never had a great ability to balance scales. At the start of the Armageddon war there were supposed to be 1.5m IG deployed across the subsector. That's roughly equivalent to the standing army of the US alone, and just a fraction of what the world mobilized in WWII. Armageddon itself is supposed to have a population in the tens or hundreds of billions.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If you want to paint it, but don't want to flock it because that is a lot of effort, you can get spray wall texture at the hardware store, like orange peel wall texture and spray that first and then paint to give a bit of visual variation without a lot of effort.

That's another great loving idea, though I'll have to travel out of town for it (Chicago has a ban on selling spray paint for stupid reasons) but way simpler than mixing my own texture paint.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
All the above is why they shouldn't have explicitly written the exact size and composition of a Space Marine Chapter, because it don't make sense

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I’ve always assumed the “1000 marine chapter” was driven by the idea that any individual player could then reasonably put together a 100-marine company.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

rantmo posted:

It never would have occurred to me to actually paint the boards but that is such a loving great idea, I'm embarrassed that I never would have thought about it. As for the board sizes themselves, I'm trying to strike a balance between stability and ease of storage, which is why I was thinking three panels but that's definitely something to put a lot of thought into. Maybe three with dowels or the like just to prevent any individual one from going off like a rake into Sideshow Bob. I'll have to ponder that but this is a very promising direction.

You could put hinges attaching the sections so they’re connected but can still fold up.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Muir posted:

You could put hinges attaching the sections so they’re connected but can still fold up.

I'd thought of that but I'd have to put them really close to the edge so it sits flat and I don't know what that would to it structurally.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Sephyr posted:

"At a moment's notice" may be pushing it. Those chapters all have protectorates and wars/defenses they are currently pursuing, and many cannot everything and book for Ultramar unless they are happy to let whole sectors get eaten by Tyranids, swamped with rowdy orks or socialized by the T'au.

Add in the vagaries of warp travel and it may be weeks, months or even years before significant reinforcemernts arrive. Unless the plot needs them to get there immediately, of course!

Space marines are ruled by honour, and the honour they hold most dear is their connection to their primarch if known. When the home world calls for aid, it isn't much of a choice.

Sorry about your sector mate, but we have bigger priorities. They would and do literally abandon their own worlds to defend the primarch's world.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
So when the first 8th edition Codex Adeptus Astartes Space Marines (gotta call 'em Adeptus Astartes for trademarkability purposes, gotta call 'em Space Marines for search engine optimization purposes; can't just call 'em one or the other, I guess) hit, it asserted that Guilliman had revised the codex so that Chapter Masters and potentially Captains had additional flexibility in assigning squads to companies, and that squads could now be either five or ten and therefore a given company could have anywhere between ten and twenty squads, with the assumption that whoever's organizing the companies would just keep about the same ratio of marines in battleline, close support, and fire support roles as they used to back when it was all squads of ten and divided between tacticals, assaults, and devastators. And GW put out a few decal sheets with numbers higher than 10. It also said that for units that come in squads of three or six, that's because the additional members of that squad were being freed up to temporary assignment as vehicle drivers/pilots or gunners.

When the second 8th edition Codex Space Marines came out (no "Adeptus Astartes" in the book title this time; never mind, I guess you can just call 'em one or the other), none of that was mentioned and companies were back to being described as ten squads of ten dudes each.

They also haven't made any new transfer sheets with squad numbers past 10 beyond the few that came out during the 8th edition launch, so chapters that use roman numerals have transfers for I-XX, but squads that use those gothic script numbers (Dark Angels, Raven Guard) don't have official sources for 1-20 squad numeration.

As a fan of the Raven Guard, who use that gothic script for their squad numbers and who are known for small unit guerilla tactics and who it makes a great deal of sense for whom to break up into squads of 5 rather than 10, I have never stopped being annoyed at how all this played out. I suspect it has to do with how small the new non-ultramarine transfer sheets packed into the other chapters' primaries upgrade packs are. No room for 1-20, just 1-10.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 5, 2023

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Also (and I'm doubleposting because this is a different topic), I always assumed the "1000 guys per chapter, Badab War fought across multiple solar systems by 16,000 guys total" thing is a lot like "300 Spartans at the Battle of Thermopylae."

It's 300 Spartans... and also 7,000 other Greek soldiers who don't get namedropped because the Spartans hog all the recognizeable glory in the legends, but who definitely took up just as much space and probably accomplished about as much as the Spartans did, Spartan military superiority being largely a self-aggrandizing myth. Space Marines are always an extreme minority in any war they fight in, but they're also what everybody talks about. The exploits of the unnumbered forces of the Imperial Guard and various other auxiliary forces get glossed over.

Just because it's funny to me to go by the Thermopylae ratio specifically and also it's funny to me to apply absurd numbers in screwily precise ways, I'm going to assume that since the saying goes one space marine is worth 100 regular soldiers, that means that the typical ratio of space marines to non-space marine auxiliaries is like 300 to 700,000, which would put the Badab War at... what, four million non-space marine combatants? Three million, eight hundred thousand or something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
do Space Marine tankers count towards the 1,000 limit? I feel like I asked this before but now I'm wondering again. Decades of training and precious geneseed to produce a guy who drives a tank around.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I have a feeling like Naploeonic British infantry battalions were a larger influence, but I never got a chance to ask Rick Priestley if that was the case after I had that realization.

Around a thousand men, organized into ten companies, with eight being infantry and two being some combination of Grenadiers/Rifles... huh, that sounds familiar...

Eej posted:

do Space Marine tankers count towards the 1,000 limit? I feel like I asked this before but now I'm wondering again. Decades of training and precious geneseed to produce a guy who drives a tank around.
I figured that would be done by serfs or Marines that were combat-wounded and recovering, sort of like what the Centurions(?) were manned with. Though there enough other things like Land Speeder crew that are described as being more specialized than some rando that is just told to rideshare some other assholes around, it all kinda breaks down. There are dudes like Sergeant Chronos that apparently really got into driving poo poo around, so maybe those decades of training to drive a tank are worth it?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Eej posted:

The motor pool guys are often described as extra to the basic 1,000, but then you get stuff that says they're driven by the leftovers from squads who've put on Aggressor armor, so... it's not consistent.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
A contradiction best resolved by running only dreadnoughts

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Play a chapter that's constantly near total ruin and you never have to justify it

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Stephenls posted:

Also (and I'm doubleposting because this is a different topic), I always assumed the "1000 guys per chapter, Badab War fought across multiple solar systems by 16,000 guys total" thing is a lot like "300 Spartans at the Battle of Thermopylae."

It's 300 Spartans... and also 7,000 other Greek soldiers who don't get namedropped because the Spartans hog all the recognizeable glory in the legends, but who definitely took up just as much space and probably accomplished about as much as the Spartans did, Spartan military superiority being largely a self-aggrandizing myth. Space Marines are always an extreme minority in any war they fight in, but they're also what everybody talks about. The exploits of the unnumbered forces of the Imperial Guard and various other auxiliary forces get glossed over.

Just because it's funny to me to go by the Thermopylae ratio specifically and also it's funny to me to apply absurd numbers in screwily precise ways, I'm going to assume that since the saying goes one space marine is worth 100 regular soldiers, that means that the typical ratio of space marines to non-space marine auxiliaries is like 300 to 700,000, which would put the Badab War at... what, four million non-space marine combatants? Three million, eight hundred thousand or something.

Yeah this is how I picture it.
Space Marines are like Special Forces, there are only a couple dozen navy seals despite the US military being like 2m total people.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah this is how I picture it.
Space Marines are like Special Forces, there are only a couple dozen navy seals despite the US military being like 2m total people.

there are 2450 active duty Navy Seals

I think adding a 0 or 00 to the numbers of Space Marines in the heresy and 40k would go a long way to making the numbers make a bit more sense. I think Star Wars fudged the number of clones from like 200k to actually being 200k squads.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

S.J. posted:

Play a chapter that's constantly near total ruin and you never have to justify it

It's 40k! That is every chapter!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Well unless its Ultramarines or Dark Angels.
Looking through the synopsis for a Black Library anthology auction I didn't win made me realise that they were really oddly focused on the Dangles early on. Because almost every single space marine related story in that book featured Dark Angels.
Except I believe one that was about Ultramarines. :v:

I'd almost compare Space Marines to 75th Ranger more than Seals. But that might also be because I have a dislike for the latter.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

S.J. posted:

Or a chapter who doesn't home a poo poo like the Black Templars

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eej posted:

There's been mention of servators piloting the various transports or gunships and being wired directly into the weapon controls of vehicles, it's not too far of a stretch to assume the same thing for the tanks.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Randalor posted:

There's been mention of servators piloting the various transports or gunships and being wired directly into the weapon controls of vehicles, it's not too far of a stretch to assume the same thing for the tanks.

would've been nice if they used the new primaris motor pool to actually include some of those servitors. like people would love it if the ATV driver or the guy in that speeder turret were lobotomised gimps like the admech strider has

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
I've always assumed that like most all things logistical, the Codex very much is simply the 'paper' strength of companies and chapters, and because everything is named by 'strike force' or all the squads are named after their sergeant, everything is secretly a hodgepodge that a poor scribe has added to the records and no one is checking.

By last count, the third squad of 4th company of the ultramarines has been marked as completely destroyed with all members KIA no less than 4 times in 3 different battle zones on alternate sides of the galaxy, and comprises the elements in 5 strike forces. It is led by 5 Brother-sergeants, each with a fireteam or combat squad named after them, totals 34 unique marine members, and has 2 landspeeders, 2 razorbacks, and a rhino, with a unit of Primaris Heavy Intercessors and a Dreadnought seconded as support. A Brother-Sergeant Romanus has pointed out that the tactical situation in his mission area involves contact with heavy infantry and has put in a requisition form for a Primaris helblaster squad to be seconded to his command.

One of the razorbacks was gifted to the Blood Ravens 300 years ago and is currently in the other half of the galaxy.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Tbh that would explain why the ultramarines 2nd company is everywhere all the time - it’s made up of 2.8 million space marines

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It’s the reverse of the Russian equipment scam, where instead of moving one tank around and photographing it to pretend you didn’t sell the rest of the squadron, you paint dozens of tanks with the same markings and just avoid having them appear together so 40 tanks are just one on paper.

Part of the reason Space Marines are mythologized as being such incredible warriors is that ‘Brother Septimus’ has a service record of dozens of campaigns, thousands of confirmed kills, and numerous incredible feats because it’s actually 108 separate Marines all consolidated for paperwork deception.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Updated OP, will refine and add more in the coming days.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Ashcans posted:

It’s the reverse of the Russian equipment scam, where instead of moving one tank around and photographing it to pretend you didn’t sell the rest of the squadron, you paint dozens of tanks with the same markings and just avoid having them appear together so 40 tanks are just one on paper.

Part of the reason Space Marines are mythologized as being such incredible warriors is that ‘Brother Septimus’ has a service record of dozens of campaigns, thousands of confirmed kills, and numerous incredible feats because it’s actually 108 separate Marines all consolidated for paperwork deception.

Alpharian Economics.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ashcans posted:

Considering Ultramarines naming standards, that is definitely true.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The problem with numbers is you'll never make them work because a space opera setting doesn't make sense on multiple levels, and any effort to make it make sense will end up with something that isn't a space opera.
One big thing for numbers for instance is the defenders advantage. Let's take a work with a ten billion population for a nice round number. The US has about 0.5% of it's population in the military so let's say this world has that as it's pdf. That's already 50 million active duty soldiers to respond when the Orks or whoever shows up. During WW2 the Soviet Union had something like 17% of it's population in the military, if our example planet can manage that as the war goes on that's 1.7 billion. And yeah, not all of these are going to be front line troops but when the giant green aliens come screaming everyone who can would grab a gun.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Most planets are usually described as having a few million people at most, though. There is a huge gap in the lore where planets either have 100 billion people living in a hive or half a million people spread out in a few population centers. Is it authors continuing to misunderstand scale, or are they trying to explain the small force sizes? Who knows!

I've read a lot of recently written 40k books this year, and it's still very apparent that GW relies on the author's familiarity with the setting instead of having some kind of concrete lore documentation that they work off of. It wouldn't surprise me if authors have the 40k wiki open on a second screen while they write.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i honestly think it's great that decades of laziness, poorly thought-out retcons, and limited understanding of scale have created a universe that makes no sense if you try to understand it from the written record, in almost exactly the same way it wouldn't make sense diegetically

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Also a lot of planets are blasted hell-holes with one or two hive cites, each with the population of a small country.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

5 more chosen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Paragon8 posted:

there are 2450 active duty Navy Seals

I think adding a 0 or 00 to the numbers of Space Marines in the heresy and 40k would go a long way to making the numbers make a bit more sense. I think Star Wars fudged the number of clones from like 200k to actually being 200k squads.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea there were that many.
And that just makes the number of space marines even more ridiculous, we have twice as many navy seals as there are Space Marines in a company.