Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea there were that many.

If you include their egos you might as well just double that number. :cheeky:

But if ever make a custom IG regiment there is a strong chance I would just throw the regular Guard force organisation out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Got the nids from the Leviathan box due to a generous friend, put together the NeuroTyrant and Winged Tyranid Prime, finding there's a few push fit areas that just won't close all the way, or stay closed. Going to need some glue to keep those areas closed.

I decided to prime everything on the sprue first then snip and build. I think next models I get I may try to build then prime just to see if I prefer it that way. Also, based on the intro post it looks like the Tyranid Combat Patrol box for this year is just Leviathan content minus the Scream Killer + Neuroguants, is that correct?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The best idea with push fit models is to clip off the majority of those pins either way, and then glue it together normally. Push fit stuff isn't all that great in reality.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Ashcans posted:

It’s the reverse of the Russian equipment scam, where instead of moving one tank around and photographing it to pretend you didn’t sell the rest of the squadron, you paint dozens of tanks with the same markings and just avoid having them appear together so 40 tanks are just one on paper.

Part of the reason Space Marines are mythologized as being such incredible warriors is that ‘Brother Septimus’ has a service record of dozens of campaigns, thousands of confirmed kills, and numerous incredible feats because it’s actually 108 separate Marines all consolidated for paperwork deception.

Astartes Georg, who kills 10,000 xenos a day is an outlier and should not have been counted

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Randalor posted:

There's been mention of servators piloting the various transports or gunships and being wired directly into the weapon controls of vehicles, it's not too far of a stretch to assume the same thing for the tanks.

Yeah, Iron Hands vehicles for example are usually described as being piloted or coopiloted by servitor/machine spirit

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 5, 2023

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bucnasti posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea there were that many.
And that just makes the number of space marines even more ridiculous, we have twice as many navy seals as there are Space Marines in a company.

It was posted somewhere that modern militaries are getting infected with spec-ops brain leading to disproportionately large spec-ops units. Everyone wants to cosplay Call of Duty with a side of warcrimes rather than sit in a trench or in a guard tower for some reason.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think there's always going to be a narrative dissonance between the game and the lore with space marines being the most popular faction.

Like it would make a lot of sense for thralls to represented on the table, basically every marine would be like Helbrecht and have some weird little guys running around. As pointed out its pretty silly for a marine to be driving a rhino when there's books that talk about 60 marines being an incredibly large force. But I don't think that works for the aesthetics of what GW wants the Space Marines to be despite all the reminders that the imperium are the baddies.

I do really like the idea of chapters being much larger than they are according to the Codex or Imperium records. For me the most compelling stuff in the setting is imperium vs. imperium. The Badab war is the most interesting conflict and I really do hope that gets a big campaign supplement or something like that.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Imagine the look if each squad of marines was accompanied by twice their number of slaves/thralls who exist only to carry ammo and reload their masters guns.

It's actually canon.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Imagine the look if each squad of marines was accompanied by twice their number of slaves/thralls who exist only to carry ammo and reload their masters guns.

It's actually canon.

I think it was one of the Emperor's Spears books where the POV character was a thrall which is a pretty interesting way to get around space marine characters being pretty boring povs.

I guess you could have this narrative layer where what we're playing on the tabletop are the heroic stories that the civilians of the imperium get told and of course the contributions of thralls are erased like how the 300 spartans are the focus of that story and not the helots

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
There's a neat aspect of 'Spear of the Emperor' where a marine from a different chapter is invited to fight with the Spears, and they are all puzzled that the guest has three slaves in the field picking out targets, running auspex, keeping stragglers away from the rhino and all. Just a different doctrine.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Very different doctrine in this case. Considering the Marine in question is from the Mentors, and they're not really a chapter that rolls out in combat in force. Instead they, either single or in squads, get assigned, or loaned out, to other chapters to learn what they know.

Spear of the Emperor was probably the first time in a long time they actually got screen time, because back in 2nd ed they had special rules and equipment attached to them.

From what recall the Spears were more upset that the Mentors used the geneseed from a chapter they used to know, the Red Scorpions, than the entourage of helot serfs.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 5, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Z the IVth posted:

It's actually canon.

this would rule. imperial grots

e: i guess admech has a little bit of that flavor, once again proving that everyone, even other imperials, are cooler than space marines

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Z the IVth posted:

It's actually canon.

Honestly I would kind of love it if every Marine was a bigass guy on a 60mm base with a bunch of little weird dudes around him groveling and carrying his sword.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
So the lion

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Paragon8 posted:

I do really like the idea of chapters being much larger than they are according to the Codex or Imperium records. For me the most compelling stuff in the setting is imperium vs. imperium. The Badab war is the most interesting conflict and I really do hope that gets a big campaign supplement or something like that.

It probably won’t. It’s pre-Primaris.

This is why I dislike Primaris Marines. They’re great models and I largely like their aesthetics but their introduction draws a line in 40K history and means GW won’t do any historical stuff in the setting anymore (beyond Heresy, which needed to be broken out into its own game with its own model line) because they don’t want to publish a campaign supplement for an era where Primaris Marines aren’t a draw. So no Sabbat Worlds Crusade, no Badab War, no Fires of Cyraxus.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Stephenls posted:

This is why I dislike Primaris Marines. They’re great models and I largely like their aesthetics but their introduction draws a line in 40K history and means GW won’t do any historical stuff in the setting anymore (beyond Heresy, which needed to be broken out into its own game with its own model line) because they don’t want to publish a campaign supplement for an era where Primaris Marines aren’t a draw. So no Sabbat Worlds Crusade, no Badab War, no Fires of Cyraxus.

Yeah, I guess the hope would have it be alongside HH as a sourcebook but it feels like development of that game has slowed down a lot.

It would also be nice to have maybe a new non-Chaos schism in the human factions as well. I always found chaos actually existing undercuts the Imperium as satire of fascism, although I guess you could use that excuse of we're perceiving a lot of the information as propaganda so of course it turns out people ended up being riddled with tentacles and horns. Potentially have the lion and roboute at odds? They could have spent more time with Roubute vs. the high lords as well but that wrapped up very neatly.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well it's far less likely now that Forgeworld has been downsized to only making supplemental models to other games and buried Imperial Armour under a pile of failed resin casts.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Stephenls posted:

Yeah, that's one of my gripes as well. I also don't really like the more "comic book-y" style storytelling of the modern stuff, where it's big gods and superweapons and saving the galaxy. The older campaigns had a more grounded, historical tone (even though they were still pretty silly) that I just like better. Most of the campaign books from Gathering Storm until now have felt very Marvel-Movie Slop to me, with a few exceptions. I liked some of the War of Beasts stuff with the Orks, but Arks of Omen felt like an Avengers movie.

I get that the Forge World campaign books were dry and niche and equally ridiculous, but I just like that kind of historical pastiche better. They felt more mysterious and evocative somehow. A desperate battle over a nothing world hampered by bureaucratic incompetence is just a lot more interesting to me than superheroes fighting over superweapons.

There's no accounting for taste, but I hope they go back to that style at least a little bit.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Honestly the Fourth Tyrannic War stuff in the Leviathan fluff section felt far more like a return to form on that front, it's really just about Leontus and Trajan wrangling the Imperial war machine into a defensive footing against a titanic Tyranid swarm headed for earth, aside from the planetoid Tyranid that's a clear Dead Space reference at the end there's nary a super weapon or showdown with a supervillain to be found.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It woukd be cool to get a campaign book about the Indomitus Crusade one day

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

Honestly the Fourth Tyrannic War stuff in the Leviathan fluff section felt far more like a return to form on that front, it's really just about Leontus and Trajan wrangling the Imperial war machine into a defensive footing against a titanic Tyranid swarm headed for earth, aside from the planetoid Tyranid that's a clear Dead Space reference at the end there's nary a super weapon or showdown with a supervillain to be found.

The final battle where Trajann beats a knight-sized Tyranid in hand to hand combat doesn't count?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Z the IVth posted:

The final battle where Trajann beats a knight-sized Tyranid in hand to hand combat doesn't count?

Well theres three things about that:

1. Its Trajan and like six other Custodes all of whom get absolutely torn to shreds and killed to give Trajan his shot to kill it.

2. We've seen the model and it's not knight sized, it's about a head taller than a Wraithlord.

3. It comes off more as an assassination attempt or decapitation strike than a big dumb superhero fight imo, you may disagree but I don't think it's that out of line for a pseudo historical tone

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The other issue with the Primaris is they get rolled out super fast across the thousandish chapters along with all the new equipment that replaced the super rare stuff they had all been using for ten thousand years. I guess you could at least write a story about some sisters of battle picking up a bunch of rhinos at a SM yard sale now that they don't need them

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, isn't that how the Sisters got their initial Rhinos (and Immolators, and...)?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Paragon8 posted:

It would also be nice to have maybe a new non-Chaos schism in the human factions as well. I always found chaos actually existing undercuts the Imperium as satire of fascism, although I guess you could use that excuse of we're perceiving a lot of the information as propaganda so of course it turns out people ended up being riddled with tentacles and horns.

Further exploring the idea of non-Imperial human factions would be really fun to see, though depending how you count them maybe the Votann are already an example of this. Depending on how GW want to play it I feel like Imperium Nihilus would be a good way to develop the idea, where Imperial control degrades over the human populations and they're left to figure out ways to survive, some of which might not involve praying to a dead guy in a throne on Earth.

From a tabletop point of view you can already do this just by trimming the eagles off your guardsmen models and going full Hasta La Revolucion with your banners, vehicle markings etc, but for that reason GW may not be particularly interested in putting a lot of resources into promoting it.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Randalor posted:

Wait, isn't that how the Sisters got their initial Rhinos (and Immolators, and...)?

Probably not. Rhinos (and Land Raiders) are STC systems. Guard originally had both of them (totally not at all because those were the only plastic vehicles available...).

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Further exploring the idea of non-Imperial human factions would be really fun to see, though depending how you count them maybe the Votann are already an example of this. Depending on how GW want to play it I feel like Imperium Nihilus would be a good way to develop the idea, where Imperial control degrades over the human populations and they're left to figure out ways to survive, some of which might not involve praying to a dead guy in a throne on Earth.

From a tabletop point of view you can already do this just by trimming the eagles off your guardsmen models and going full Hasta La Revolucion with your banners, vehicle markings etc, but for that reason GW may not be particularly interested in putting a lot of resources into promoting it.

If I were super independently wealthy and had nothing but free time I would want to construct a Genestealer Cults army that's all kitbashed together to represent a non-GSC plain old non-chaos non-xenos mass uprising on an Imperial world against Imperial governance.

It'd probably be a terrible army because I'd have to leave out all the gribbly alien units, but I suppose "terrible army doomed to defeat in every battle" is in-theme for a grass-roots mass uprising on a hive world.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
One of my favorite parts of Vigilus was that there was a totally organic protest over food rationing that had nothing to do with the Genestealer Cult or Chaos but the Imperium being the Imperium just lumped them all together and started gunning them down and turned what could have been a group that could have been relatively easily negotiated down into a full on uprising.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've always felt the scale of numbers being so far out of whack is really spot on for the feel of the Empire that can lose entire worlds in a paperwork shuffle separated by a Warp that can have ships showing up at their destination before they left their origin.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Everything must go! Craaaaaaazy Edonis’s discount Rhinos!

I’ve got Land Speeders! Stalkers! Scout armor! Come on down! My prices are so craaaaaaazy, the Inquisition thinks I’ve fallen to Chaos!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Stephenls posted:

If I were super independently wealthy and had nothing but free time I would want to construct a Genestealer Cults army that's all kitbashed together to represent a non-GSC plain old non-chaos non-xenos mass uprising on an Imperial world against Imperial governance.

It'd probably be a terrible army because I'd have to leave out all the gribbly alien units, but I suppose "terrible army doomed to defeat in every battle" is in-theme for a grass-roots mass uprising on a hive world.

I also thought about doing this and was planning to 3d print all of it eventually. I want the dudes to look like industrial workers in overalls though, not the miners in saiyan armor, and haven't found any stls for it that I like yet.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Arven posted:

I also thought about doing this and was planning to 3d print all of it eventually. I want the dudes to look like industrial workers in overalls though, not the miners in saiyan armor, and haven't found any stls for it that I like yet.

I'd stick with the mining armor because I kinda appreciate the existence of the Hive Scum kit and the way it suggests the Genestealer mining sayajin armor is... just the normal attire for human workers on the average 40k industrial world. That's not just how Genestealer Cults look; that's how people dress!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Stephenls posted:

Necromunda gangers work really well for this, just fyi

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Necromunda gangers work really well for this, just fyi

They do.

I'm never gonna do it. With my time and budget I have other projects I want to do more that I'm already never going to get to, so Human Uprising Guerillas is just pipe dream. But I've spent a lot of time staring longingly at Necromunda and GSC and Astra Militarum kits thinking about it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Randalor posted:

Sisters armoured vehicles are all based on the Deimos Rhino. The fact that the Deimos is an older variant of the Rhino than the Mars pattern used by Marines, alongside their elaborate decoration, is supposed to indicate the influence and wealth of the Inquisition.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eej posted:

is supposed to indicate the influence and wealth of the Inquisition.

Clearly riding the wrong vehicle for that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo5ro1nWsPU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Stephenls posted:

I don’t even think you’d need to leave out the gribbly aliens, just find stuff that works on-theme - i.e.aberrants work as heavier mining suits/power lifters, ogryn-esque abhumans, industrial servitors/cyborgs, or just incredibly swole and chemically enhanced laborers

patriarch/genestealers as a suborned/heretical death cult and it’s leader or a bunch of foppish younger nobles who are good with a sword

(theming probably depends on the narrative behind the mass uprising)

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Went 1-1 today with my first 2000pt 10th edition games.

I brought a mixed artillery and mechanized guard army with some leman russ tanks and a few chimeras and scout sentinels.

First game was a 5 +/- point victory against White Scars. I managed to bottle up his army in his deployment zone and then even with a ten man squad of outriders and ten man squad of relic temies I managed to whittle him down with artillery. We both were learning how to play as we went so there were a few mistakes and misplays, I count it as a tie probably.

Second game was a 1 point loss against a mechanized guard army. Too many hulls and they withstood my early pressure and managed to win on a last turn secondary mission draw of assassinate, managed to put enough fire into finishing off my tank commander.

I like the secondary cards! If you and your opponent know how to play, I can imagine most games coming down to sheer luck of the draw. I guess there's something to be said for meta positioning based on the cards drawn so far and what could be left.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Arven posted:

Most planets are usually described as having a few million people at most, though. There is a huge gap in the lore where planets either have 100 billion people living in a hive or half a million people spread out in a few population centers. Is it authors continuing to misunderstand scale, or are they trying to explain the small force sizes? Who knows!

I've read a lot of recently written 40k books this year, and it's still very apparent that GW relies on the author's familiarity with the setting instead of having some kind of concrete lore documentation that they work off of. It wouldn't surprise me if authors have the 40k wiki open on a second screen while they write.

Yeah, I just reread Necropolis and there were 15 million people in the suburbs of the hive at the time of the attack. If you assume that only 10% of them end up under arms during the month long war it's still an order of magnitude more troops than the guard forces, and the author never really addresses it adequately beyond letting "scratch forces" share second fiddle with the pdf. And the suburbs are a fraction of the "real" hive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Here's a fun thing to wonder about, how many Space Marines actually took part in the Seige of Terra on both sides?