Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i honestly think it's great that decades of laziness, poorly thought-out retcons, and limited understanding of scale have created a universe that makes no sense if you try to understand it from the written record, in almost exactly the same way it wouldn't make sense diegetically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Imagine the look if each squad of marines was accompanied by twice their number of slaves/thralls who exist only to carry ammo and reload their masters guns.

It's actually canon.

this would rule. imperial grots

e: i guess admech has a little bit of that flavor, once again proving that everyone, even other imperials, are cooler than space marines

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

jassi007 posted:

I'm surprised someone hasn't done it yet, Magic restricts data on deck lists to stop this kind of stuff from happening. I don't know how effective it is, but they understand data analytics could just tell you what is the best build of the top decks with complete info.

That's dumb. How is game balance supposed to improve if players don't push it to the limit in the first place? If everyone's playing the game ignorant of what's actually good it doesn't prove anything about the state of the game, only the state of the players.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

jassi007 posted:

They're trying to thread a needle of players are good collectively at optimizing lists, if they had data for all matches played they'd get to "the answer" faster. The meta-gameplay of trying different game pieces to find the optimal ones keeps people engaged. Engagement sells product. Well that was their old position, now WOTC just makes trashy chase rares for whales, but thats another thing. I'd wager GW has a similar strategy, that they don't want everyone to solve the meta in 2 weeks to find the ideal lists and ideal armies, because they want to sell all the units to all the folks.

oh yeah in terms of business strategy it's depressingly effective, i just mean that trying to preserve the casual experience by obfuscating the good strategies is an incredibly dysfunctional approach to game design if your goal is to, like, actually make a deep and rewarding competitive game

like when you see people complaining about lists or netdecking it's usually a maladaptive community response to a game that isn't fun to play at a high level; the thing is, "games should be fun to play at a high level" is not an impossible or even an unreasonable request lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

jassi007 posted:

Read the loving thread if you want to know what we're talking about. Hint: not talking about GW hiding data.

My fault, I muddied the waters by talking about player attitudes towards optimization in the same breath as replying to you about publisher approaches to data.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

you can't spell "Throne Mechanicum" without, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

die vs. dice is an American vs. British english thing IIRC. and of course Games Workshop is a UK company

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Demilich posted:

Where the hell are my 40k chaos dwarves? Come on GW this stuff writes itself. The Leagues of Votann Hashut, with Hashut being a fully sentient (non daemon possessed) Ancestor Core way out in the Halo stars region that's seeking full empyric apotheosis without the help of the big 4... and it's currently succeeding.

Now give me some curly beards, tusks, bulls, and tall hats.

as funny as it would be to have Vashtorr upstaged by a dwarven toaster i feel like niche protection, if nothing else, should give him an out here

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

So a minor 40k lore question: do Inquisitors have some document, badge, or regalia that firmly establishes that they're an Inquisitor (for times when they need that authority and aren't operating undercover, obviously), and what would it be?

e: nevermind, just needed to google a little harder -- i was looking for the Inquisitorial Rosette

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 26, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Supported by the fact that bare helmeted heads usually comes in two flavours, either aggressively making GBS threads or holding it in for dear life.

ROUGHAGE FOR THE REGULAR GOD
FIBER FOR THE PORCELAIN THRONE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Oh, I didn't realize Knights are smaller than Titans.

Considerably. A Questoris-pattern knight is like 12m lore-wise, Cerastus maybe a bit taller, meanwhile the smallest "scout" titan, the Warhound, clocks in at 17m and change. And then they scale up from there to "could be the battlefield that Imperial Knights walk on" size. There's no consistently cited size for Imperators because there isn't really an intent besides "stupid big" but different sources have put them anywhere between 50m and 100m.

e: apparently there's a novel that pegs the same titan -- not two of the same class, mind, literally the same named vehicle, the Dies Irae -- at 43m and 140m in different chapters, making it both the largest and smallest Emperor-class :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 20, 2023